Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

It seems that the epidemic is slowing down in Italy (to be confirmed in the next couple of days)

Rise: March 17th 12,6 %, March 16th 13 %, March 15th 17 %, March 14th 19%

Edited by FrFan
12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except there seems to be a strain that is showing no symptoms. Unless those tests are false positive. 

Do we know for certain that the difference in severity is due to different strains rather than difference in individual response (or both I guess)?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Do we know for certain that the difference in severity is due to different strains rather than difference in individual response (or both I guess)?

No. And that’s a good point. But I was kind of asking more of a hypothetical 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

No. And that’s a good point. But I was kind of asking more of a hypothetical 

I guess if we could be certain that asymptomatic people will only (or overwhelmingly) pass on a less virulent strain, then the approach could work.  But experts don't seem to be going for that (UK totally reversed that approach for example).  I assume there's a good reason for abandoning the herd immunity approach.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not sure how Italy’s can have people waiting for morgues unless that’s what they normally do...

2500 dead because of corona virus..

68,000 dead during the 2016-2017 flu season... so if the flu season is like 6? months that’s 10,000 dead a month.... we added 1200 a month dead and all of a sudden we can’t bury the dead in time? 

what am I missing...

Think the issue is you still have the deaths of flu etc and this sudden influx causes the overload. Just as it does to hospitals. A snowball effect. In addition people who may have been treated for other illness now with the Coronavirus don’t get treated so someone that may have survived becomes a death statistic 

Edited by maxiumone
12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sooo...2-3 days on plastic.  That means 2-3 days on phones and tablets, right?

You see where I’m going with this....

Even without this virus, I ***** at my coworkers all the time about how gross phones are & WE'RE IN THE FOOD BUSINESS FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!! 🤬

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except there seems to be a strain that is showing no symptoms. Unless those tests are false positive. 

For many infections there are people that are carriers and don't show symptoms.  The issue is individual responses.  In many cases, the biggest issue is over response of the host immune system.  Even seasonal allergies.  If my wife isn't on medication, she's not functional during the spring. I have 0 issues.  We're being exposed to the same things.  Realistically, her immune system is over responding and making her feel crummy in the process.  Mine just doesn't care.

I once worked with a woman whose son was a carrier for strep.  He had the bacteria and never got sick.  For some reason in him, the bacteria just never got out of control.  She'd get strep several times a year.

7 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

Think the issue is you still have the deaths of flu etc and this sudden influx causes the overload. Just as it does to hospitals. A snowball effect. In addition people who may have been treated for other illness now with the Coronavirus don’t get treated so someone that may have survived becomes a death statistic 

Yeah and they're probably working at essentially max capacity during flu seasons.  There aren't many capitalistic systems that can sustain a 10% increase over their max capacity.  It just isn't efficient and so the extra capacity just isn't built into the system.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

When only a fraction of the military has been tested and sitting ducks in countries like South Korea.

So complaints that there isnt enough testing in America and complaints that there isnt enough testing outside of America..cool.

The hospitals around here are doing it right and the NYSDOH is conducting the testing...even though NY is considered a hotspot...upstate NY has been doing it right. Schools announced being closed last week. Work from home rules were put into effect last week, and if cant work from home shifts have been set up to isolate them from each other...our main grocery store has sworn to be restocked every night..

I have never been a fan of our governor or his father..but I must say hes making sure the government and state is running smoothly

• Like 3

HI Guys & Gals...

Wishing everyone the best and be safe. 

I try not to post about my profession for a number of reasons. 

I am a hospitalist, basically a doctor in the hospital. Yes, I'm smack dab in it. 

Been on the board for over 15 years. Really just want to thank everyone for posting relevant links. I have used this site to inform myself with such fluid and dynamic changes. 

Please respect the situation. We're all hoping for the best, but seemingly have to expect an impact very shortly. 

All I want to share is to practice STRICT social isolation and distancing. I understand the challenges of all the workers. But, take personal responsibility and limit all interactions (especially in hot spot areas, but everywhere). Share this with everyone.

Please don't PM, not because I don't want to answer, I simply am swamped. 

Take care, maintain balance and as always HTTR

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 12
2 minutes ago, visionary said:

I'm not certain it's the Presidents fault, either.  

Lots of other things I blame him for, just not sure that's one of them.  

• Confused 1
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic