China

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

French worm blood may save Covid-19 patients' lives

A Paris hospital wants to start testing a substance extracted from worms that may be able to keep dangerously ill Covid-19 patients alive as a last-ditch strategy.

Blood haemoglobin from a certain worm is able to transport 40 times more oxygen from the lungs to the body’s other tissues than ordinary human haemoglobin, according to biotech company founder Franck Zal of Hémaria in Brittany. It is also compatible with all blood types, he said.

It is now hoped that ...

How the movie ‘Contagion’ perfectly predicted the 2020 coronavirus crisis

@orangenewsfr
Twitter deletes two Bolsonaro tweets questioning containment

Edited by FrFan

21 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:
Another point that makes you wonder about the Chinese numbers.

• Sad 1

Re: Chinese numbers.

Russia is only reporting 1800 cases, but completely locked down Moscow on 4 hours notice.

Go figure...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even masks using clothing items from home can be useful in protecting yourself in public.

It's understandable why CDC initially told people not to bother with homemade or surgical masks but the more we learn about this virus, the more it makes sense to wear one in public. Need to get this message out as we think about reopening in May/June.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Even masks using clothing items from home can be useful in protecting yourself in public.

It's understandable why CDC initially told people not to bother with homemade or surgical masks but the more we learn about this virus, the more it makes sense to wear one in public. Need to get this message out as we think about reopening in May/June 2021

I hope people are mentally preparing for this to be going on at least 6 months or until we have a vaccine.

Edited by Hersh

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I hope people are mentally preparing for this to be going on at least 6 months or until we have a vaccine.

I agree, I don't think "normal" is coming back any time soon but I do think we will start relaxing social distancing guidelines come June at the earliest. And when that happens, we need the public to really modify their behavior until a vaccine is approved. Mask wearing and surface cleaning will be really, really important.