Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

French worm blood may save Covid-19 patients' lives

A Paris hospital wants to start testing a substance extracted from worms that may be able to keep dangerously ill Covid-19 patients alive as a last-ditch strategy.

Blood haemoglobin from a certain worm is able to transport 40 times more oxygen from the lungs to the body’s other tissues than ordinary human haemoglobin, according to biotech company founder Franck Zal of Hémaria in Brittany. It is also compatible with all blood types, he said.

It is now hoped that ...

How the movie ‘Contagion’ perfectly predicted the 2020 coronavirus crisis

@orangenewsfr
Twitter deletes two Bolsonaro tweets questioning containment

Edited by FrFan

Even masks using clothing items from home can be useful in protecting yourself in public.

It's understandable why CDC initially told people not to bother with homemade or surgical masks but the more we learn about this virus, the more it makes sense to wear one in public. Need to get this message out as we think about reopening in May/June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Even masks using clothing items from home can be useful in protecting yourself in public.

It's understandable why CDC initially told people not to bother with homemade or surgical masks but the more we learn about this virus, the more it makes sense to wear one in public. Need to get this message out as we think about reopening in May/June 2021

I hope people are mentally preparing for this to be going on at least 6 months or until we have a vaccine.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I hope people are mentally preparing for this to be going on at least 6 months or until we have a vaccine.

I agree, I don't think "normal" is coming back any time soon but I do think we will start relaxing social distancing guidelines come June at the earliest. And when that happens, we need the public to really modify their behavior until a vaccine is approved. Mask wearing and surface cleaning will be really, really important.

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There comes a point that unless the Govt. is going to set up food pickup/feeding that this will end, wether the virus has run it's course or not.  While Trump is crazy with the Easter thing at some point people will run out of money/food.  If we go that long the social distancing will be over regardless of any Govt. decree.  People will not sit in their house and starve.  

I’m totally skeptical of any near term timeline in which that happens. Of course I’m skeptical football happens in the fall. I’m not seeing how we don’t have immediate spikes if any social distancing is relaxed prior to a vaccine. 

Just now, HOF44 said:

There comes a point that unless the Govt. is going to set up food pickup/feeding that this will end, wether the virus has run it's course or not.  While Trump is crazy with the Easter thing at some point people will run out of money/food.  If we go that long the social distancing will be over regardless of any Govt. decree.  People will not sit in their house and starve.  

I can see food services being set up for sure. I hope this country is preparing for that possibility.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I’m totally skeptical of any near term timeline in which that happens. Of course I’m skeptical football happens in the fall. I’m not seeing how we don’t have immediate spikes if any social distancing is relaxed prior to a vaccine. 

You can realistically get to a point where the case load of the virus is brought down and any new outbreaks are caught fast enough using testing and tracing the contacts of the infected. We have the expertise to do this, but it will require a form of messaging from the Trump admin that is completely absent at the moment.

Whether we will be able to pull off something like that is an open question. The only thing I'm optimistic about is that we will know more about the biology of the virus and will have better technology (anti-virals, diagnostics) to combat it as we approach end of May.

They have known all along people need to wear masks. With the shortage of masks they basically lied to the public and told them that they should not wear a mask and that if they did it might actually put them at more risk and that they need training to wear them.  That was not based on data but on the desire to save masks for front line healthcare workers. This thing is airborne for 3 hours with a half life of 90 minutes.

Their lack of preparation caused that shortage and they lied to the public. Shame on physicians, the CDC and other scientists who are supposed to be evidence and truth based. 

I can understand giving people a sense of control by telling them all they need to do is wash hands and stay 6 feet apart in order to prevent mass panics but the truth is the truth and people deserved that from day 1.

Here is a great example:

https://apple.news/AKfluvkIfTsyYvcJxqfWMvg 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 2

I can forgive a lot of things governments have to deal with involving this pandemic. I cannot forgive the federal government NOT ordering massive amounts of gear by mid-February to the beginning of March. It's a total failure by this administration to order companies to build masks, ventilators and other PPE in mass quantities. This failure has led to more lives being lost. 

And his supporters won't care one bit. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There are actual studies that show people wearing masks in public don't prevent the spread of viruses.  Maybe this one is different, but it isn't hard to imagine scenarios where wearing a mask makes things worse (people spending more time touching their face or something that is going to come into contact with their face).

Hospital nurses are getting chafing sores on the back of their ears from the elastic straps of masks worn for entire 12 hour shifts.  So some have taken to wearing headbands with buttons sewn on the sides to give their ears a break:

o03k9k8sb3p41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=11e34459d04e6b186cdb02ad8b10d12cc8897abe

A couple of good-hearted folks in our neighborhood are putting their sewing skills to work, ordering a bunch of headbands and sewing buttons on for the nurses to wear. 

This might be a good stay-at-home project for anyone with sewing skills who wants to show some appreciation for health care workers on the front lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1