Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Re:  Masks.

1)  I work home health care.  I (and two other nurses) take care of one patient, 24x7, in his home.  He's vulnerable in several ways.  My big fear (I have a lot of big fears, I'm probably paranoid that way) is that if he gets this thing, he probably dies.  

OTOH, he's completely bed bound.  Doesn't get out, ever.  (Well, special trips to the hospital for some procedures.  But we're not doing that right now.  He's safer sitting at home, and not getting the procedures.)  

Which, in turn, means that the only real risk he's under, is the chance that one of his caregivers brings the virus to him.  I'm a threat to him.  

I can't get masks.  They're not part of his normal medical supplies, so his normal suppliers don't send him any.  I'd buy some (I buy several minor supplies for him that we don't get enough of, or things.)  But I can't buy them.  

2)  Although the thought did occur to me, when I read that supposedly a lot of professions like drywall guys and painters and auto body techs use N95 masks in the curse of their work.  

I have a paint respirator mask.  At least similar to this one (Amazon link).  Bought it for doing drywall and spray painting work.  I wonder, would a mask like that (possibly with a different filter cartridge), be a functional, reusable, health care mask?  And could it safely be used by a single healthcare worker, for multiple patients?  (Maybe even for longer than one day?)  

Far as I'm aware, it's much more like a gas mask.  Air goes in through the cartridges, but not out through them.  Which implies to me that and virus trapped by the filter would not be exhaled onto the same or different patient.  (And air only goes out through the exhalation valve, which should prevent the exhalation valve from becoming contaminated.)  

I assume it wouldn't work, or somebody smarter than me would have proposed it.  Just a thought.  

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

1)  I work home health care.  I (and two other nurses) take care of one patient, 24x7, in his home.  He's vulnerable in several ways.  My big fear (I have a lot of big fears, I'm probably paranoid that way) is that if he gets this thing, he probably dies.  

OTOH, he's completely bed bound.  Doesn't get out, ever.  (Well, special trips to the hospital for some procedures.  But we're not doing that right now.  He's safer sitting at home, and not getting the procedures.)  

Which, in turn, means that the only real risk he's under, is the chance that one of his caregivers brings the virus to him.  I'm a threat to him.  

I can't get masks.  They're not part of his normal medical supplies, so his normal suppliers don't send him any.  I'd buy some (I buy several minor supplies for him that we don't get enough of, or things.)  But I can't buy them.  

2)  Although the thought did occur to me, when I read that supposedly a lot of professions like drywall guys and painters and auto body techs use N95 masks in the curse of their work.  

I have a paint respirator mask.  At least similar to this one (Amazon link).  Bought it for doing drywall and spray painting work.  I wonder, would a mask like that (possibly with a different filter cartridge), be a functional, reusable, health care mask?  And could it safely be used by a single healthcare worker, for multiple patients?  (Maybe even for longer than one day?)  

Far as I'm aware, it's much more like a gas mask.  Air goes in through the cartridges, but not out through them.  Which implies to me that and virus trapped by the filter would not be exhaled onto the same or different patient.  (And air only goes out through the exhalation valve, which should prevent the exhalation valve from becoming contaminated.)  

I assume it wouldn't work, or somebody smarter than me would have proposed it.  Just a thought.  

There were some reusable ones in the link that spjunkies posted a little while ago.

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

it offers some protection to the person wearing it, though mainly designed to remove organic vapors and particulates.

your exhaling is not filtered at all and a simple bandana ect is probably as effective at protecting your patient

Opening Statement of Professor Pamela S. Karlan (12/4/2019)

..."imagine living in a part of Louisiana or Texas that’s prone to devastating hurricanes and flooding. What would you think if, when your governor asked the federal government for the disaster assistance that Congress has provided, the President responded, “‘I would like you to do us a favor.’ I’ll meet with you and send the disaster relief once you brand my opponent a criminal.”?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, visionary said:

They’re largely black, brown, and/or poor so nobody cares. We’ve established that long ago. But that’s how the alleged god-fearing leaders on both sides running the country since Nixon have chosen to do things.

53 minutes ago, Larry said:

That probably works as long as you’re not infected. If you are, some of your viral particles would probably get past the one way exhalation valves. Even so, it’s less risky for you to consistently treat him instead of what would likely happen if you weren’t, ie a mix of different people over time.

Edited by The Sisko

30 minutes ago, twa said:

it offers some protection to the person wearing it, though mainly designed to remove organic vapors and particulates.

your exhaling is not filtered at all and a simple bandana ect is probably as effective at protecting your patient

Ah.  I wasn't thinking so much about filtering any virii the caregiver exhales.  Was thinking more along the lines that a disposable mask might trap Patient 1's virii on the outside of the filter, and then exhale them onto Patient 2.  Was thinking more of the outside of the filter being a vector, rather than the caregiver being a source.  

My chain of thought went to "non-disposable mask" to "possible vector for carrying disease from one patient to another".  

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

That probably works as long as you’re not infected. If you are, some of your viral particles would probably get past the one way exhalation valves. Even so, it’s less risky for you to consistently treat him instead of what would likely happen if you weren’t, ie a mix of different people over time.

Well, I can't just fire the other two nurses, and announce that I'm now caring for him 24x7 till whenever.  For lots of reasons.  Although I do understand that, if Covid were the only concern in the world, that would be a better theoretical solution.  

:) 

Edited by Larry

Not sure I agree with Cuomo on this one.  (At least not yet.  Trump's trial balloon is pretty vague about what he's actually threatening to do.)  

Yes, there are legit uses for federal force within the US.  (I'm pretty sure.)  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:
At this point quarantining a whole region is useless.

False.

I mean it REALLY is a simple ****ing concept.

Don't go anywhere = people with virus can't spread virus to more people = virus spreading will slow down

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, purbeast said:

False.

I mean it REALLY is a simple ****ing concept.

Don't go anywhere = people with virus can't spread virus to more people = virus spreading will slow down

I'm talking about Trump mandating a quarantine for the Tri State region. No point now that the virus is everywhere. Unless he's going to put the whole nation on lock down this is just politics. Plus saying he's going to lock it down just makes people in those areas more likely to travel elsewhere if they can.

Edited by Cooked Crack