Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

so they think just because your household income is over 150k, you don't deserve assistance.

guess they have no understanding of how the actual people in this economy behave.

i've got 6 months of cash reserves and both our jobs are ones that will be in higher demand because of this, not less (though if all my clients go under then I would lose my job), and we're set up so we can get by fine if only one of us has a job.

I don't know anyone else over 150k household my age that has that situation.

Oh well. The outcome from this is going to be exactly what we deserve. Too many people too shortsighted and dumb.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The way I read it is you get a subtotal (in my case 2400 + 500*3 kids = $3900 and then deduct from that. Unless they’re only counting my 2018 kids, which would only be two. 

Wife and I finished 2018 at around $175k AGI so I’m looking at $2650 if they count all of my kids or $2150 if they count just my 2018 kids. 

Probably will sit on it for a few months and see how things go, then donate it if I don’t need it. 

1 minute ago, just654 said:

All based on 2018 filing. So you lose a child.  You are reading it the same way I am. All one lump sum.

They will take the most recent filing (unless it changed in final language).  So you can file your 2019 taxes early if it makes sense for you.

there's a lot of people not paying their bills because they can get away with it.

our politicians have no grasp on reality or whats important

and people are more concerned about the stock market than health and actual economics (cause most of them are clueless on economics, also clueless on the stock market but don't tell them that.)

our society is so ****ed up on the most basic of levels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tshile said:

so they think just because your household income is over 150k, you don't deserve assistance.

Yeah, I definitely think financial prudence is the exception, not the norm.  I still think a non-dischargeable, but zero interest loan, up to the a certain limit based on your income would've made more sense.  And then phase it out at really high income level.

Just now, bearrock said:

Yeah, I definitely think financial prudence is the exception, not the norm.  I still think a non-dischargeable, but zero interest loan, up to the a certain limit based on your income would've made more sense.  And then phase it out at really high income level. 

Yeah, that may have been better. I didn't consider it. I just considered giving people money.

But I also wanted it to be across the board. No income cap limits of phase outs.

Because unlike our politicians, who are charged with knowing such things, I actually understand that majority of americans have no cash reserves to speak of regardless of their income level.

You either want to quell panic and civil unrest or you don't.

And the irony is most of these morons peddling  he 'cure is worst than the disease' nonsense don't seem to actually understand that you can't get the economy fixed while the pandemic is still gong on. That if you float things, people will have jobs to go back to, businesses will be able to pick back up. There will be a bill to pay, but you can protect the underlying fundamentals of the economy.

Instead they think if we just put people back to work we can somehow shut down the economic crisis, as if the pandemic wont take an additional toll; and now they're more interested in pumping cash into businses that will still let go of their employees (and just hire new ones when they need), and that ultimately the average persons till gets ****ed over.

These people routinely demonstrate one thing: They are superbly capable of latching onto bad ideas, and completely incapable of using logic and reason alongside facts and data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

They will take the most recent filing (unless it changed in final language).  So you can file your 2019 taxes early if it makes sense for you.

Every thing I have seen has said 2018 filings 

21 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

CEO compensation has been capped at a dollar value. The issue has now become that CEOs are given stock options, the goal is to now drive the stock as high as possible to hit the trigger point. It's not about paying top dollar, it's incentivizing stock growth above all else. 

While total compensated dollar value is not as high, they have more incentive to drive stock prices. NPR's Planet Money had an excellent podcast about CEO pay. 

Planet Money - When CEO Pay Exploded

I'm going to quote myself because I want to hammer this home. Modern CEO actual cash pay is a very small percent of what they actually pay. Looking at the Boeing CEO.

"Boeing said Mr. Calhoun, who starts as chief executive on Monday, would receive a base salary of $1.4 million and be eligible for an annual target bonus of $2.5 million, long-term incentive awards worth $7.5 million and restricted stock units worth $10 million." Source

So of his reported 21 million pay, only 1.4 is actual cash. As corporations incentivize stock gains at all cost for CEO pay, they will do everything to reach the goals. The actual nature of raising pay and providing for the employee is minimal, that hurts the bottom line. Reducing expenses and increasing the net is all that matters and they will reach those. 

As a country, we award stock growth more than anything. If you need an example other than how the administration is handling this as an economic problem and pointing to the DOW rather than a health issue I can't help you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I guess national bailout policy should be something us voters ask about AHEAD of time.  I just wish we would demand they explain why so tilted towards corporations?  

Do even the political parties have a national crises policy?  This is two bailouts in 12 years and ultimately it's all aimed at the banks.  The banks would take the brunt of any economic downturn. 

Honestly, I can tell we've learned lessons from the last bailout with the yelling about stock buybacks because how we didn't stop it and now that money just evaporated in a week.

If we end up getting something like a government program specifically made for crisis initiated direct deposits to individual US citizens from the federal government that would be another massive step forward for a government not known for making massive steps anymore. 

I agree with your warranted frustrated, but there's some serious silver lining here that there's no way we would've got unless we f'd up like this.  I'll never say it was worth it, just that's what's happening and this way of looking at it is helping me sleep at night.

Edited by Renegade7

8 minutes ago, just654 said:

Every thing I have seen has said 2018 filings 

I can't cut and paste from the doc for some reason.  But it's page 39 of the original bill (I know stuff has changed and still may change)

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6815366-HEN20255.html#document/p1

I read subpara 1, 2, 5 as essentially maximum advance payment under either 2018 or 2019 return.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Fairfax county saw 31 new cases yesterday for a total of 77.  Certainly doesn’t seem like it’s slowing down.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/covid19/case-information

So I’ve been posting this info off an on. 

the first case for our region was a guy in dc. Last Friday was the start of week 3 since then. That’s when the deaths start. They spoke through week 4 and 5. According the local model I have access to for the region you should know whether nova will weather the storm in the next 8-10 days. 11 days from now the answer will be clear. It either blew up or it did t. 

the caveats to that:

it’s based on data we have access to

and nova is using DC’s first case for the timeline because of how many people move back and forth on a daily basis. It’s entirely possible fairfax is actually days or even over a week behind that timeline simply because it’s using the first DC case

so it’s a timeline with flaws but it’s the best I have access to at the moment. 

the reservation of using the first nova case is because testing is so inadequate and there’s so much movement within the region that it was the best option that could be settled on. Just have to accept the caveats and adjust as data changes

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I can't cut and paste from the doc for some reason.  But it's page 39 of the original bill (I know stuff has changed and still may change)

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6815366-HEN20255.html#document/p1

I read subpara 1, 2, 5 as essentially maximum advance payment under either 2018 or 2019 return.

Thanks, Max payment is under 2018 for me. Made like 10k more last year than 2018. Either way I am getting about 2k. I will take it and run. 

• Like 1

I suspect the 2018 150k thresh is taxable income (line 10 of the 1040), after itemized or standard deductions have been taken?

It doesn't effect me but I wonder how people who have divorced since filing for 2018 or are widowed since then will be getting their checks. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect the 2018 150k thresh is taxable income (line 10 of the 1040), after itemized or standard deductions have been taken?

It doesn't effect me but I wonder how people who have divorced since filing for 2018 or are widowed since then will be getting their checks. 

I was looking at mine pre deduction...

Once again, my friend thinks Trump is doing the best he can and is doing a good job. Granted, she isn't political, but she isn't stupid either. She is actually pretty scared and can't believe that the POTUS would be so stupid/reckless/uncaring during this whole situation. Her positivity comes from a place of fear, forced optimism. I think that is how Trump's approval rating on handling the virus outbreak is at 60% in some polls. People are just clinging on to any type of hope that this buffoon can actually do some good.