Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Spanish Flu killed more people during WW1 then the actual war did.

I was thinking a bit more modern. 😉

but it is a good example of events preventing best responses to threats.

the locust swarms in africa for example are easily controllable except where armed conflict hinders spraying.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Spanish Flu killed more people during WW1 then the actual war did.

My grandmother, who was born in 1910 and grew up in southeast DC, told me about that there were horse drawn death wagons that would circle the streets and the drivers would holler for people to send out their dead relatives.

However, my answer to this question would be HIV.  If the question is what modern disease did the world fail to control.  You can live a long time without symptoms, while remaining contagious.

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

I was thinking a bit more modern. 😉

but it is a good example of events preventing best responses to threats.

the locust swarms in africa for example are easily controllable except where armed conflict hinders spraying.

I see.  Maybe we should be more clear on "modern" then.  I would've said nothing before the 20th century, the 21st century is dominated by the ramifications of that century, even the parts we dont talk about.  Maybe that's normal, WW1 was the catalyst for the remainder of the 20th century while also being the build up of the ramifications in Europe from the 19th century.  WW1 was a bomb with a long fuse that we are still picking up debris from.

Some historians argue the Spanish Flu is really what ended WW1, that war was a stalemate. I had to wait until after high school to find out what that was, for the life of me, I wish I understood why that wasnt talked about more.  History in US has a bad habit of trying to paint the US as good guys versus what actually happened.

I do believe we treat these pandemics like once in a lifetime event even though they happened in some folks lifetime.  They arent one offs, they are reoccurring patterns.

30f024e-1.jpg

55 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

My grandmother, who was born in 1910 and grew up in southeast DC, told me about that there were horse drawn death wagons that would circle the streets and the drivers would holler for people to send out their dead relatives.

Damn, that's the way the Black Plauge was described that wiped out half of Europe.

55 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

However, my answer to this question would be HIV.  If the question is what modern disease did the world fail to control.  You can live a long time without symptoms, while remaining contagious.

I think you're right, it's a more recent example of something that took on a global effort and we eventually had to get used to the number of people it was killing every year.  I feel sheltered thinking once upon a time Princess Diana going and touching someone dying from it to prove you couldnt get infected that way was a big deal.  I dont know if this coronavirus will be an example of that in my lifetime, but again, stuff like this is inevitable, its jus what nature does whether we like it or not.  Cost of doing business. I guess.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, twa said:

well yeah, if it cannot be controlled.

how many haven't we controlled in the modern era?

HIV is modern.  Controlled is debatable, but in the time it’s taken to learn about it and figure out reasonably effective management, around 700,000 Americans and tens of millions of others have died.

5 hours ago, kfrankie said:

China toll leaps past 1,600 as first death reported outside Asia

The death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak surpassed 1,600 in China on Sunday, with the first fatality reported outside Asia fuelling global concerns.

More than 68,000 people have now been infected in China from a virus that emerged in central Hubei province in December before spreading across the country and some two dozen countries.

Amid criticism over the handling of the crisis, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for tighter policing to protect social stability, while Beijing ordered people returning to the capital to self-quarantine for 14 days in the latest drastic measure aimed at containing the virus.

Beijing's municipal government enacted a rule on Friday requiring all people coming to the capital to quarantine themselves for 14 days, warning that violators would be punished, according to official media.

It was unclear how authorities would enforce the measure.

Chinese authorities have placed some 56 million people in Hubei and its capital Wuhan under quarantine, virtually sealing off the province from the rest of the country in an unprecedented effort to contain the virus.

In another drastic preventive measure, China's central bank said Saturday that used banknotes were being disinfected with ultraviolet light or high temperatures, and stored for up to 14 days before they are put back into circulation.

Click on the link for the full article

On 2/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, kfrankie said:

My Memaw told me about that, too. Her cousin ended up with dysentery and was put out into a barn to die...but somehow got cured by sauerkraut? 🤔

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Not singling you out or anything, but is anyone surprised by this?  "Outbreaks" on cruise ships are not uncommon with non-corona viruses, so this is not surprising in the least.

Imagine being stuck on that ship though.  If you end up getting the virus it would be hard not to fault the people that trapped you there with the infected even if their actions are reasonable.  Meanwhile back home your bills are due, your boss is getting tired of waiting fir you, and there’s no certain timetable.  Total nightmare.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

Imagine being stuck on that ship though.  If you end up getting the virus it would be hard not to fault the people that trapped you there with the infected even if their actions are reasonable.  Meanwhile back home your bills are due, your boss is getting tired of waiting fir you, and there’s no certain timetable.  Total nightmare.  

It will be a character arc in a future movie or miniseries about this, same with that couple from Russia.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Not singling you out or anything, but is anyone surprised by this?  "Outbreaks" on cruise ships are not uncommon with non-corona viruses, so this is not surprising in the least.

It's got to be pretty scary for those on board though. 

Oh, I just noticed I forgot to post some things before heading to lunch.  

Expect the number in China to jump again. Most factories in the big areas are opening back up tonight. 

So I would expect infected people that have hidden or are not showing symptoms yet to be around uninfected...next couple weeks might get interesting...