Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/07/0a31cae6-4933-11ea-9164-d3154ad8a5cd_story.html

● Chinese health officials say they confirmed more than 31,000 cases of the coronavirus, more than 4,800 of them considered severe. The death toll surpassed 630, with fatalities almost entirely confined to China.

● An additional 41 people on board the Diamond Princess cruise liner, which has been quarantined in Japan, have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total to 61.

● Another cruise ship, the Westerdam, is at sea, and its crew is unsure where to go next, after being denied entry to the Philippines, Japan and South Korea. Passengers blame an ill-advised port stop in Hong Kong, where the boat took on many new passengers.

● Two charter flights carrying about 300 Americans out of the virus-hit city of Wuhan are expected to arrive in the United States on Friday. A flight carrying mainly Canadian evacuees landed in Ontario on Friday morning.

From further down in the posting, it talks about India. I noticed that while there are only 3 patients testing positive right now, they are in 3 different geographical locations.  I can't think that is good from a containment perspective.

This whole thing feels like watching a global car crash in slow motion.  I can't make myself look away...

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm still not seeing the cause for alarm here unless you're a kid, elderly, or immune compromised.....basically the same fears for the flu

Current fatality rate is roughly 20-25x that of the seasonal flu and there’s no vaccine. So yeah. 

Also that fatality rate could increase as it doesn’t take into account those who are still suffering symptoms and could worsen. SARS initially had a reported 3% fatality rate and it ended up close to 10%. This seems less dangerous than SARS but is already far more widespread. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Clearly, China (and others) treating it a little different than the average Flu.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/coronavirus?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1224907066365472773

Yeah, this definitely seems a bit stronger than those flu vaccine ads run on the CVS Pharmacy billboards.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tssomas/status/1225809838963396608

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I mean, where they stopped at?  

Japan. And then there's the other one that's still out at sea and hasn't found a place to stop at. I know cruise ships are always renowned for being a place to get an illness, but seeing people get trapped in quarantine over there is enough to make me never want to take a cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm still not seeing the cause for alarm here unless you're a kid, elderly, or immune compromised.....basically the same fears for the flu

or in China where apparently their healthcare abilities suck. 

the concern is its infectious ness and what it’s related to, and what it may turn into, and what we don’t know about it yet (China isn’t really helping much)

Yes, if the average US person gets it they will probably be fine. 

But there’s other things going on. And, honestly, this is a good dry run on things infectious disease people have been trying to get us to take seriously for a long time now. 

• Like 3

Trapped on a cruise ship is a living nightmare. Hopefully it's not the kind of cruises that depart from any East Coast port where the average weight of each passenger is 350lbs and the favorite ship activity is stuffing your face at the all you can eat breakfast station.

Just now, No Excuses said:

Trapped on a cruise ship is a living nightmare. Hopefully it's not the kind of cruises that depart from any East Coast port where the average weight of each passenger is 350lbs and the favorite ship activity is stuffing your face at the all you can eat breakfast station.

they’re being held in their rooms. 

could you imagine being in an inner-room? No window, no balcony, just a boring small cruise ship room for 14 days. no real tv. 

all from a virus outbreak

god it would be awful...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

could you imagine being in an inner-room? No window, no balcony, just a boring small cruise ship room for 14 days. no real tv.

Took a cruise in college in which this was our room. The cell service in these rooms is also very spotty, or at least it was back then. In the middle of a giant metal container, confined into an even smaller metal container, I doubt they've improved signal reception that much.

If anyone ever needed a reason to never step foot on these monstrosities sold as "vacations", here it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Clearly, China (and others) treating it a little different than the average Flu.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/coronavirus?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1224907066365472773

the main danger is being communicable before being symptomatic defeats regular screening and it will then spread faster undetected..

47 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ignores help from CDC and WHO?  Good luck keeping that bit of info under wraps over there.

Who quarantines 50 million people over a virus with reported numbers that suggest its not much more dangerous than the flu?  A lot of this doesn’t add up.  Maybe this is worse than reported. Maybe panicky Chinese leaders have over reacted.  Who can say?

45 minutes ago, Destino said:

Who quarantines 50 million people over a virus with reported numbers that suggest its not much more dangerous than the flu?  A lot of this doesn’t add up.  Maybe this is worse than reported. Maybe panicky Chinese leaders have over reacted.  Who can say?

I lean towards them wanting to appear like they are in control to help justify their style of government without anyone wanting to take the blame for it in the higher ups. 

Read articles about Winnie the Pooh trying only to be seen when neccesary with a supposed "blame list".

What I am buying is this possibly causing a recession in China if stuff stays shutdown like this or worse past this month.  They could lose out on the entire first quarter at this rate.

I agree with someone who said we may be doing better as a whole then we thought we would with something like this. West Africa eventually caved and admitted they couldnt slow down the Ebola outbreak by themselves, what's China's cracking point on that?

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I noted in a post above that even at current  fatality rates this is 20-25x more deadly than the flu, with no vaccine. But most importantly, WHO and CDC aren’t reporting fatality rates yet because it’s too early to have a true understanding of what they are.

Simply put, there are a ton of new infections in the last week or so, and it takes times for people to die from it. Total fatalities divided by total infections is a poor way of estimating fatality rate this early in an outbreak. 

Been thinking what would happen here during a novel viral outbreak and if an entire religion or multiple cities were locked down and put under quarantine with public health officials walking around inspecting people. 

Don’t think this country can handle that. The anti-vaxxers, QAnon, Alex Jones crowd etc would make it pretty much impossible to contain a viral outbreak.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Sad 1

If you don't have an autoimmune disease then you can take black elderberry extract to boost your immune system to fight off viruses. I always keep a bottle in my medicine cabinet to fight off infections quicker - i am up and running in about two days after getting the flu or feel like coming down with something. The quicker your immune system is able to produce the antibodies to attach to the virus is better. Your body makes about 2000 antibodies a second to ward off infections. A super-charged immune system comes in handy for that purpose. 

Sometimes you have to look at nature to kill natural born killers. 

Not saying it is a cure but it doesn't hurt either. 

Here is more info on black elderberry... 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056848/

• Like 2