Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everyone says the RIvera hire is "more of the same" I don't agree.. and here's why

So for the past few days Danny has been making all the right noises and doing all the right things. I don't know if he's changed as a person, but he's willing to do things now that he wasn't before. He's willing to ****can guys like brucifer and Larry Hess, and will remove more of the old guard if the new staff deems it necessary and replace them with guys whose sole focus is to win, not collect a paycheck and get by.

We've all been crying for him to bring in football people to do football things. Well Danny's done that. Rivera is a respectable, classy guy who will bring hard work, accountability and stability to the franchise. Rivera has said repeatedly he's going to do what's best for the franchise. The first thing he goes and does is exactly that, hires one of the best guys available for DC. A guy with head coaching experience, a top notch reputation and a legit body of work and success behind him as a DC. Not some crony DC hire steeped in failure like Shanny's choice of Haslett, or some marshmallow who won't threaten their tenuous status as HC (Gruden). If Rivera fills out the rest of his staff with guys of that caliber, it's going to be a fun 5 years here in DC.

I've read here a bunch that people think it's just a matter of time until Snyder undermines Rivera and ends up pinning things on him. While anything is possible, I really doubt this is the case. I think Danny has waay too much respect for this guy to do him like that. It would be like him sticking a knife in Gibb's back, and that is the only HC we had here that he DIDN'T meddle with/undermine.

The other big gripe people seem to have is this insistence that you MUST have a gm in place first, and HE MUST dictate all further hires autonomously. I don't think things have to be that way. TBH, I really don't think it matters which one comes first, as long as they are compatible and on the same page about the future of the franchise and the direction they want to take, kind of like Shanny Jr. and Lynch in SF. You don't NEED a GM in place first, the most important thing is making sure the GM and HC are compatible and share the same vision, while working together to further the franchise.

I will admit, I have hope for this franchise for the first time in a long time, I really appreciate the fact that Rivera has a vision, will make these guys work and compete, and the days of club Jay and guys coming here to get paid and basically jerk off for a few years then running out with a bag of cash are coming to an end. Guys will come here because they want to be part of a winning program, and that is an exciting prospect.

I think Dan is likely afraid of RR and that's why he won't mess with him. In some ways he brought in a guy who's tamper proof because he's been in the league longer, has been more successful and is bigger than Dan. This gets Dan's respect.

4 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

I've read here a bunch that people think it's just a matter of time until Snyder undermines Rivera and ends up pinning things on him. While anything is possible, I really doubt this is the case. I think Danny has waay too much respect for this guy to do him like that. It would be like him sticking a knife in Gibb's back, and that is the only HC we had here that he DIDN'T meddle with/undermine.

Did he undermine Shanny? Because folks were saying pretty much the exact same thing when he was hired as they are now with Ron.

My optimism about the team, at least short term, stems from how they looked during the season's final stretch. I hope Rivera works out, but I've seen the past two decades to know not to get overly giddy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Did he undermine Shanny? Because folks were saying pretty much the exact same thing when he was hired as they are now with Ron.

My optimism about the team, at least short term, stems from how they looked during the season's final stretch. I hope Rivera works out, but I've seen the past two decades to know not to get overly giddy.

Well there was the whole rg3 Kirk fiasco.. some say it was Dan and Bruce overruling/undermining shanny. And then the last year before he got fired was a lot of sniping back and forth from the two groups.  To be honest, I was stoked about the shanny hire, but the guy does have some used car salesman about him.

I dunno, I just get the feeling Danny respects this guy way too much to jerk him around.. Rivera don't seem like the type to tolerate it much either tbh.

I initially was lukewarm about Rivera the first day his name surfaced as a candidate but the more i dug in, the more i liked about him so I ultimately pushed it hard and wanted to see it go down.

I've been often critical of Dan for a long time.  But I had two periods where I thought he changed because heck he said he did and it would make sense to me that he would in the context of the situations.  Those two situations was when he hired Shanny and gave him "control" after being embarrassed by the Zorn era.  The other was when Scot was hired and Scot revealed that Dan told him he was embarrassed and he gets he needs to change.  I bought it then because it made sense.  But alas I learned I was wrong both times.  

Likewise it makes sense for Dan to stay out of Rivera's way.  I get the thought and logic.  But I'll believe it when it happens.   I do believe though that if Rivera has instant success, Dan might back off.  That was the winning formula for the Yankees (under Torre) to get Steinbrenner to finally back off.

I don't think people say you must (but prefer it) hire a GM first but push that its how most traditional successful franchises work and Dan hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt where we'd embrace a FO situation that we aren't predisposed to prefer. 

According to Gibbs himself, Dan meddled.  Gibbs would tell the stories though in good natured ways and Gibbs clearly could get him to back off when needed.  I recall him telling the story of Dan calling him and saying lets go get Lance Briggs.  I recall Gibbs talking about how Dan called him after watching the Vikings play MNF about what he should watch for when they play that team the week after.  Heck Gibbs said that Dan was part of their version of the committee decision making.  But I do agree Dan respected Gibbs too much to be a jerk to him and Gibbs according to some knew how to play Dan where Dan felt invested in the decisions.  So if Rivera likewise can play Dan the same way it should be better.

I like Rivera.  I like some of the talent on the team.  So I have some optimism.  But I am not buying a new dawn era for Dan until I see it play out.  I've been fooled by him before. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I remember when Beathard picked Gibbs I was thrilled because of what the Chargers were able to accomplish on offense at the time. I wasn't sure about Turner when Cook hired him. He did well with Dallas so what the hey. Didn't like his Shuler pick though. To be honest, didn't like the Marty or Shanny pick. I was glad we got Gibbs 2.0 but I had my doubts when he wanted Brunell and kind of knew it wasn't going to be close to the same. Zorn was just a Dan experiment. Turner, Spur, and Gruden went on my list as OK... first times as HC... so we'll see. Rivera is different because he's been a HC, but still on my OK we'll see list. I know Carolinas MB's have posted some negative things about their former HC, but if the internet was just as much popular during Belichiks Cleveland run, we'd probably read the same things from Browns fans. Not comparing the two, but it's out there. I know one thing... I really believe this time that somewhere in his 5 year contract (as of now) that we'll finally hit the ever elusive 11 wins. Hopefully playoffs and championships will follow.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I know Carolinas MB's have posted some negative things about their former HC, 

Just curious, what are the knocks on him?  All I've heard is sunshine and rainbows.  The only negative I have is 3 winning seasons in 9 years, but I haven't followed the Panthers all that closely, and I'm too lazy to dig thru Panthers MBs.

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Just curious, what are the knocks on him?  All I've heard is sunshine and rainbows.  The only negative I have is 3 winning seasons in 9 years, but I haven't followed the Panthers all that closely, and I'm too lazy to dig thru Panthers MBs.

Go back to page 8. Dissident2 posted some comments.

• Thanks 1

Sure, I was lukewarm when the buzz started and close to 3 decades (yup even the last years of the JKC era) of disappointment is where it comes from.

But he's here now... and that makes him a Son of Washington. So I'm falling in line and hoping he's bringing down the Champhammer.

The issue is simple. We were promised the team would be turned over to a "football guy" when he hired Marty, Shanny, Gibbs and SM. Hell even Bruce was met with optimism as it signaled the end to wild spending ways. 

The results speak for itself.  So naturally this looks to be another promise of a good football man being hired to change things around here.  Heard it before.  

I still think as fans we are going to have to show some more patience. It is going to take some time for Rivera to fix all that has been broken over the past two decades. Right now I am definitely excited for what the future holds. Respectability is back with the Redskins at least. And that is something we havent been able to say for a long time.

57 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Literally no one has said this.

Did you not read the Rivera thread? Tons of posters here have said that, also because there was no gm In place and Danny picked the coach it's the same old same old. 

I said in the hire thread that for me, the benchmark set by the previous 2 Head Coaches is fairly low hanging fruit:

Win the Division... winning a playoff game exceeds the high water mark of the last 2 guys.

I know I'm being Capt Obvious but the way to get there is WINNING DIVISION GAMES something that other than 1 year each both Shanahan and Gruden struggled with.

Since 2010 we are .350 vs the Division.  Shanny the Red was .380 ; Grudes the Lesser was .330

Playoffs in year 1 or not... if Rivera could go at least .500 vs the Division I'd happily buy what he's selling.

Edited by hawgboy
  • Like 2

Nothing new here. Now that we are in the best time of year called the "off season". Then they actually start playing games in September and reality sets in. Funny that all Rivera said in the scripted press conference could have been said in any new coach's conference for any team. A poster in this thread mentioned that this is not a take Snyder's money (won't mention the rest) hire. Funny no one in the conference asked Rivera what the "deal" is.  I know one thing, if Rivera thinks Haskins is a young Cam Newton he is in for a surprise and that is just for starters.

For me, it's not about Dan meddling or not meddling.  It's not about being totally hands off.  I understand all that stuff just comes with the territory and that no owner is truly hands off.

But not for a second do I see the hiring of Rivera in a 'coach-centric' organization as some type of uncharted territory.  I don't see how it's much different than when he hired Shanahan on the heels of the last fan backlash.  The only real difference this time is that he's sent some more guys packing - which I can admit, is a good thing.

The fact of the matter is, Dan is who Dan is.  There is no changing at this point in the game.  If he was to evolve, he would have evolved by now.  He was practically forced into a lot of these moves.  The hope is in that these moves will breed enough positive results, quickly enough, that he'll learn from it - because we're stuck with this guy for a long, long time.