Dissident2

RIP Former Skin Sam Wyche "Die, you yellow dogs, die!"

I know this'll get lost amidst the Rivera news, but I always loved this guy. Yes, he's better known as coach of the Bengals, but before that, he was a Redskin. Didn't play a lot, but he's responsible for one of my favorite moments in team history: 1972 NFC Championship game vs. Dallas. We're curb-stomping them, and Wyche is captured on NFL Films yelling, "Die, you dogs, die! Die, you yellow dogs!" That encapsulated the rivalry for me and always has. 

1:57 in the clip if it doesn't take you to the right place. 

Nice article on his days here from 1989:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1989/01/18/old-redskin-magic-now-you-see-him/875c8728-cf03-4540-a5e9-43c229167322/

RIP, Sam. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Thought that was  Curt Knight kicker, but I could be wrong.

Nope. It was Wyche. 

RIP Coach Wyche...

Always Loved his rant to the home fans in Cincy. “You don’t live in Cleveland!”

• Like 5

He coached the Bengals last playoff win, way back in 1991, which just happens to be the last time the Redskins won a SB.

• Like 2

I couldn't read the article in the OP (stupid WaPo paywall), but does it by chance mention at what point in the game Wyche yelled the famous phrase captured on the clip? People look at the final and think blowout, but it was a 10-3 game header to the 4th. Then Billy hit Taylor to put us 2 TD early in the 4th, and Knight added three FG for the final margin. Of course that game, like many other home games until the mid 70s, could not be seen on TV in the DC area. And a copy of the full game appears to basically not exist..   or at least has never been posted on the interwebs. Would be cool to be able to watch both RFK playoff games from that season.

He pulled off one of the greatest fake punts I have ever seen. Took a five yard delay of game penalty, then faked the punt. Did it to run up the score on , I think a Buddy Ryan team.

Posted (edited)

Remember the side-line huddle?  Don't think anyone stopped to consider it was important where the huddle was on the field until Sam moved it toward the side-line to obscure personnel changes.  Then it was "hey, wait a minute, get back to the middle of the field"! 😆

Edited by FuriousD

18 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Remember the side-line huddle?  Don't think anyone stopped to consider it was important where the huddle was on the field until Sam moved it toward the side-line to obscure personnel changes.  Then it was "hey, wait a minute, get back to the middle of the field"! 😆

He had some wild and crazy offenses. I remember in 91 when Gibbs destroyed the Bengals led by Wyche, but it was a wild game for a little while. That guy was so passionate and crazy, I could definitely see players wanting to play for him. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:25 PM, hail2skins said:

Of course that game, like many other home games until the mid 70s, could not be seen on TV in the DC area. And a copy of the full game appears to basically not exist..   or at least has never been posted on the interwebs. Would be cool to be able to watch both RFK playoff games from that season.

Is this true?  I was out of the country and missed the game but my friends told me all about it. I don't think the Championship Games were blacked out.  Like you I want to see the whole game but also found it may not exist.

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Is this true?  I was out of the country and missed the game but my friends told me all about it. I don't think the Championship Games were blacked out.  Like you I want to see the whole game but also found it may not exist.

That game is the absolute holy grail of all Redskin games. I've heard mixed things about it being blacked out at the time. I'm not sure what the truth is. But it definitely has not been found in its entirety anywhere. Which is amazing when you think about it. An NFC Championship game in 1972 was hardly a "rare" thing, and meaningless games much older exist in great quality. I don't get it and never have. I do have the radio broadcast, but man, would I love to actually be able to watch that game for the first time. 

20 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

That game is the absolute holy grail of all Redskin games. I've heard mixed things about it being blacked out at the time. I'm not sure what the truth is. But it definitely has not been found in its entirety anywhere. Which is amazing when you think about it. An NFC Championship game in 1972 was hardly a "rare" thing, and meaningless games much older exist in great quality. I don't get it and never have. I do have the radio broadcast, but man, would I love to actually be able to watch that game for the first time. 

Yep that game was the signature game that announced the Redskins' arrival as a top team and not a pretender.  I highly doubt it was blacked out, as I said when I got home all the kids in the neighborhood were talking about it. I posted this earlier, in my search I found the '71 MNF game which was George Allen's return to LA. It was really interesting to watch, I could not believe how many times Kilmer dropped back in the 2nd half with a big lead.   When they did run it was mostly Harraway and not Larry Brown and got stuffed. That Rams line still had Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen and the LB Isiah Roberston and was a force.  

On 1/4/2020 at 1:06 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

In 1972, Redskin fans couldn’t watch NFC championship on TVs in Washington

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-1972-redskin-fans-couldnt-watch-nfc-championship-on-tvs-in-washington/2012/01/27/gIQANXwCqQ_story.html

I have the 1972 Game of the Week Highlight DVD that cost me about $50 from NFL Films.

I am sure NFL films has the whole game in their possession since they have the game of the week film, but they have no incentive to put the whole game together and sell it.

I also was at a Redskins function and asked Bruce Allen if he had a copy of the 1972 game.

He did not answer yes or no, but went off on a long discussion of what a great day that was.

Anyways, now I know how Indiana Jones feels at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Posted (edited)

This is the most broadcast footage I've ever seen, although it's in black and white. It's just a highlight package, but it seems to suggest there's more out there. Maybe.  

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 1

This is a glorious minute of sweet color action from the game.  

The interesting thing about the clip Dissident posted is that the 14-0 Dolphins were playing AT Pittsburgh in the AFCCG. Because they rotated who would host the championship game in the early 70s, before they went to seeding (don't ask me how when there were three divisions).

• Like 2