Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

On 12/5/2020 at 3:14 AM, mhd24 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-ranking-the-nfls-top-50-free-agents

They project us to sign Anthony Harris, Corey Davis, and resign Scherff.

I don't think I'd sign Harris.  He'll be 30 next year.  Davis is OK I guess.  

Especially if they project 26-year old Marcus Williams to be available at 1.5 m/year less than what they project us to give Harris. Would be incredibly stupid.

So if Wentz gets put on the trading block is that a move we look at?  The Eagles would have to absorb a chunk of the cap hit associated with his current contract for it to be worth it but I think they would understand that if they were to shop him.

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So if Wentz gets put on the trading block is that a move we look at?  The Eagles would have to absorb a chunk of the cap hit associated with his current contract for it to be worth it but I think they would understand that if they were to shop him.

If we are signing any retreads, I'd guess it was Allen and Alex and drafting a developmental QB to sit a year. 

Darnold is more interesting to me than Wentz with that said.

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we are signing any retreads, I'd guess it was Allen and Alex and drafting a developmental QB to sit a year. 

Darnold is more interesting to me than Wentz with that said.

Wentz is intriguing, he has all the tools and maybe he's not as mobile as he once was but he may be one of those guys who just needs a change of scenery.

No thanks to Wentz. His contract likely gets him one more year at the Eagles before they would consider cutting him loose. From a cash perspective, they could have him on the ‘cheap’ next year, in context, as 50% of the cash potentially payable to him is in incentives.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

His contract likely gets him one more year at the Eagles before they would consider cutting him loose. From a cash perspective, they could have him on the ‘cheap’ next year, in context, as 50% of the cash potentially payable to him is in incentives.

Wentz cap hit is like 35 Mil next yr, regardless of whether or not he reaches his incentive bonus. If he is not the guy moving forward, that is an absolute insane amount of cap space to blow on someone who you don't plan on contributing. Its even worse considering Phi has 260 Mil in contracts already for next year, so they already have to slash salary. 

If Hurts does well enough that he is the guy going forward, or if they plan on getting a new guy somewhere, they need to look at every possible avenue of shedding Wentz contract. If they don't you are basically forfeiting 20% of what could be a 180 Mil salary cap. I don't think any team can justify a 30+ M backup QB. That would depth charge the roster.

I'd believe their best option would be to trade him and pay the majority of the contract for the coming season (similar to the Case Keenum trade where we only paid the guy like 4 Mil) Then they can get out of the contract for future seasons and save a couple mil for the upcoming one.

I'd personally be cool w/ picking up Wentz as a back-up option for around 5 Mil, however that would happen.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Wentz is intriguing, he has all the tools and maybe he's not as mobile as he once was but he may be one of those guys who just needs a change of scenery.

I don't think the cost to worth it ratio would be worth the gamble, considering where we're at with personel.

51 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Wentz cap hit is like 35 Mil next yr, regardless of whether or not he reaches his incentive bonus. If he is not the guy moving forward, that is an absolute insane amount of cap space to blow on someone who you don't plan on contributing. Its even worse considering Phi has 260 Mil in contracts already for next year, so they already have to slash salary. 

Yeah I was more talking about cash. It’s seems his 2021 salary has 11.5mil included as not likely to be earned incentives. Pretty sure NLTBE incentives defer to the following years salary cap. And if they cut him as a pre June 2021 the cap hit will escalate to 50 or 60m won’t it?

But I’m sure there all kinds of ways around that for the Eagles. No doubt the contact terms reported all over the internet can be manipulated by a good contracts person in an NFL front office.

I don’t think we need more damaged goods at QB, especially if Smith is still here. Now if we are moving in from Smith, Wentz on a reduced terms deal.....maybe. Still need to draft a QB though.

Wentz has finished 2 of his 4 seasons on IR. He didn't finish his one playoff game because he got injured. Trade for a QB who hasn't finished a whole season healthy (or unbenched

👀) since his rookie season 4 years ago? Miss me with that.

So that 2021 number for Wentz of 25.4m appears to be,

10m fully guaranteed roster bonus due

3.9m base salary

11.5m not likely to be earned incentives 

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

I do too but all the sudden the consensus is he's no good.

Bill will probably take the chance of getting him on the cheap via trade.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

3.9m base salary

Bill will probably take the chance of getting him on the cheap via trade.

I think we should take a look, we'd be stupid not to given our situation.

Just now, Master Blaster said:

Just happens to coincide with two All-Pro lineman being hurt and the backups also getting hurt as well as horrible FA/draft choices at WR. 

Exactly, that team has no weapons, nobody who scares you and I think its crazy to put the blame on Wentz.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

3.9m base salary

Where do you see this?  This is what Sportac has.

1159314282_Screenshot2020-12-07131452.thumb.png.8ced981de6c5004090e1d908804fb9e0.png

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep it’s on there, listed underneath that table.

"2021 base salary is $3.9M, with an $11.5M not likely to be earned escalator built in."

What is that for, I see the different bonuses listed at the bottom of the notes but they don't break it down per year.

31 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

"2021 base salary is $3.9M, with an $11.5M not likely to be earned escalator built in."

What is that for, I see the different bonuses listed at the bottom of the notes but they don't break it down per year.

I would think it is cash he would eventually get, but contractually is labelled as NLTBE incentives for salary cap purposes, probably with a view to deferring some of that cap hit into 2022, ie that 11.5m element.

That is an ‘uneducated’ guess though.

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Nobody gets us out of a jam like JD McKissic. He's the glue in this offense that keeps our drives alive. What an underrated signing he was, he's a perfect fit for Turner's offense. 

Damn right.

Logan Thomas similar impact in this scheme. Fair play, looking like a great acquisition too. And already under contract in 2021.

Archived