Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

We could also think about moving Collins to LB

That won’t help us. He’s not really a linebacker and if he were to find any success it would be in a role similar to KPL as an outside guy. Our biggest issue is MIKE in general. In nickel sets we often only have two backers anyways. Collins inside the box scares me. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That won’t help us. He’s not really a linebacker and if he were to find any success it would be in a role similar to KPL as an outside guy. Our biggest issue is MIKE in general. In nickel sets we often only have two backers anyways. Collins inside the box scares me. 

I like Collins at Will, FA at Mike, and KPL/Holcomb at SAM 

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

I like Collins at Will, FA at Mike, and KPL/Holcomb at SAM 

I don’t hate it. But I don’t really see a need for it. He’d be functioning similarly to how he was playing when he was down in the box this season and he still whiffed on a way too many tackles for my liking.

The upside is he’ll flash once in awhile and make some big plays to kind of cover up the bad ones.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm willing to go old-school 2001 Dan Snyder level Brinks truck for Lavonte David this offseason. I'd also add any one of the top receivers

Can you imagine a David/Parsons combo?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know, I heard a segment on Sheehan's show the other day, where he asked Cooley who he thought made the decisions on the FA crop from the last off-season, and Cooley said it was probably Ron in the end, but was set up by Kyle Smith and the scouting team in conjunction with the coaching staff.  I think that's probably mostly correct, though I think it is probably very collaborative.  Ron sets the direction, Kyle and company grade all the guys, they decide who they're going to target together, and then they go after it.  That guy who's name I can't remember (the contracts/cap guy) probably has some role from a contractual perspective.

All that to say, they added a bunch of players who seem to have something to them, even if they weren't big names:

Kendall Fuller - Certainly lived up to his contract so far.

Wes Schweitzer - Been pretty good at Guard.  

Kevin Pierre Louis - Probably gotten more out of him than what you would have expected, but will need to be upgraded.

Thomas Davis - This was a "coach on the field" guy.  He can't run.  I think maybe this was a miss except for what he brings to practice.  

J.D. McKissic - Better than you thought he was going to be.  

Logan Thomas - Better than you thought he was going to be. Ideally he would be the #2, where I think he'd be a really good fit.  Asking him to be the #1 isn't his fault, but he's definitely been better than I thought he was going to be.  

Cornelius Lucas - Looked like a complete bust, but played ok in relief for a game or two before getting hurt.

Peyton Barber - This is probably the biggest "meh." I would have preferred they just kept AP for this role, but I'm not sure AP would have liked 5 carries a game.  

Ronald Darby - Has stayed healthy, and played well so far.  

That's not actually bad for the fact the lost out on Cooper, who turned down a bigger offer to return to Dallas, and Hooper, who they wanted but didn't want to set the TE market.  

If you couple that with some of the guys they already had and drafted, there's a good foundation.

There seem to be 4 glaring issues/decisions facing the team going into 2021:

- QB.  Alex Smith is not the long term answer just because of his age.  I don't think Kyle Allen is the long term answer.  I think he can play well, but he's physically limited.  

- LB.  The LBs are just bad.  They need at least 2, if not 3 new starting LBs. 

- Safety.  The safety position needs to be addressed.  Curl is ok, and we'll see.  But I would expect them to throw numbers at safety.  

- OL.  Because Scherff will need a new big-money deal, and I think Rouiller is also a FA.  The OL has played pretty well, especially since they are down to their 3rd tackle.  But they have decisions to make there.  Hopefully Charles gets healthy which can provide an additional piece somewhere.

Overall, given they didn't spend big in FA in 2020, I'm pretty impressed they picked up the level of talent they were able to. 

The glaring (and some would say negligence) was not really doing anything to address the LB corps at all minus KPL and Thomas Davis (who apparently can't play).  They trusted Bostic, Holcomb, a few other guys would come through, and they really haven't.  So, they get negative marks there.  But they added a lot of depth at the skill positions on offense, added to the OL so it's not a disaster, and also had a contingency plan for QB. That's actually not terrible for one off season.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I agree. First, I'm not sure he's going to be really recovered. Second, he is what he is, which is an inside the box safety.  If you're going to play him anywhere, that's where you play him.  But he just hasn't been very good since he got here at anything.  He hasn't lived up to the contract, and they've got at least one more year of it. 

I think they need to approach the off-season thinking Collins is not part of their plans.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Can you imagine a David/Parsons combo?

OMG would that be a blessing and clear up soooo many issues

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Then, if our defense still sucked, people would have a right to complain...

Just a little DB upgrading and holy crap!!!!!

2 things I am expecting in FA based on the past and Rivera's statements

A.  They chose a MLB or two in FA.

B.  They sign a big time WR.

I get the narrative that we got young and perhaps upcoming receivers.  But that same narrative was in play last off season, too.  Harmon showed potential and Steve Sims.  Yet they offered big money to Cooper.  I think there is a decent chance they want to add a big time receiver to help McLaurin.  And if so this FA crop looks special on that front if it stays on this track with Keenan Allen, Kenny Gollady, Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, Juju Smith-Schuster among others.  

You got Curtis Samuel in that mix too but I am guessing he might be too like Gibson and Mckissic.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’d argue we have a plethora of WR3-4 guys. We have 1 WR1 and 0 WR2.

Thats why I go big in FA at receiver or I don’t go at all.

I see it the same way.  I get the method of the madness of them chasing Cooper last time.  I'd pursue a top guy or no one.  

PFF is far from the be all and end all.  but for kicks if i used their top receivers ratings based on their scores, I circled the ones who are FAs.  I might have missed one but i think i got them all or close enough

wrs.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

I still can’t believe that Scotty Mac didn’t draft Justin Simmons. Dude’s Sparq score was ridiculous and played on a great defense at BC. He was on the board in the third I think and it was and still is a huge need.

Sign me up for Keenan Allen sweepstakes in the off-season. Dude can get open in his sleep.

• Like 3

We have a ton of money already invested at safety, I'm not sure they will sign a big money guy unless we get rid of Collins which we can post June cut him @ 4.2 in dead cap and defer the rest until 2022 when the cap should come back up once the virus is under control.

I would love to let him and Alex go and use that money to sign Davis and Robinson at WR and then focus on LB in the draft.

At that point we're ready to ball.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

I didn't realize Perryman is a FA. He may be your best bet because he is 27. I remember in college he was more of a thumper so it looks like, per PFF at least, he has picked up all around ability. David would be perfect, if it weren't for his age. He is turning 31 and I know ILBs tend to last a little longer than other positions but there is a high bust risk.

If you can add Perryman and a draft pick (ideally an MLB type who can flex outside) to Holcomb, KPL (resigned) and Foster (for minimum), you are solid at the position.

Safety is loaded in FA. I agree we can't go big money on the position. I'd wait on this position the first few days and pick up the best FS left over for reasonable $ to a short term deal. Same thing with no. 2 WR, given how loaded the class is.

TE is weak and not worth spending big $ on. Maybe go after a Hollister but I'd focus on building this position in the draft with maybe 2 guys, especially a Day 2 pick

21 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think we'll sign Curtis Samuel. Panthers already have a surefire #1 in DJ Moore, and an excellent #2 in Robby Anderson. They can probably safely allow Curtis to walk and I think he would be a good fit here. He should come at a cheaper price tag than many of the WRs on that list.

I swear it feels our entire lineup is nothing but Curtis Samuels. I’d rather have a big strong physical possession receiver. Hopefully Harmon comes back healthy because he could be a huge part of this Corp.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I swear it feels our entire lineup is nothing but Curtis Samuels. I’d rather have a big strong physical possession receiver. Hopefully Harmon comes back healthy because he could be a huge part of this Corp.

Agreed. Samuel is a poor fit. We need someone who is an effective separator. 

Golladay’s injury isn’t ideal, but of the possible FA receivers I like him the most.

However, I still don’t get the serious interest in paying a WR big money. if it happens, fine, just seems like a luxury approach.

I got the interest with Cooper, I think in hindsight Rivera will be comfortable we don’t have that contract on the books now. That’s would have been another 20mil wasted this season. Rivera has also now had a season to see Mclaurin first hand. I mean, in 18 months he should be getting a 75-80mil contract extension. Don’t need 2 of those concurrently on the books at WR.

Rivera caught the tail end of Steve Smiths career, then failed to add a real #1 after that. He worked with Olsen plus patched up receivers. Then he got McCaffrey.

He already has that #1 here in Mclaurin. He’s got his poor mans McCaffery in the backs. Gibson and McKissic have the makings of a very solid duo.

Based on what we have, another young receiver needs to emerge. We have enough on the books for one more to stick. It’s a deep draft class to add another. Got for a true deep threat target. Add a mid range contract in FA to round the group out.

Get a #1 TE.

But hell, if they want to thrown money at another WR I’ll quickly buy into the idea..:ols: