Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I was looking at FA at ILB for the upcoming season and it looks thin, anyone have any thoughts on that?  Are there any starting calibur ILB's in the upcoming FA period?

Might see some cap casualties hitting the market. Feels like we need to draft a couple of LBs. Preferably one on day two of the draft.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I was looking at FA at ILB for the upcoming season and it looks thin, anyone have any thoughts on that?  Are there any starting calibur ILB's in the upcoming FA period?

Matt Milano is likely our best bet given how close this staff is to the Bills staff. To someone else’s point, some ILBs will get cut...guys like CJ Mosley

• Thanks 1

I'm looking and there's several guys who are playing over 70% of their teams snaps.  Lavonte David, De'Vondre Campbell.  Neville Hewitt seems small, BJ Goodson doesn't seem like an improvement for what we have

It kind of depends on what we're lookign for,  we might give Foster a shot

31 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm looking and there's several guys who are playing over 70% of their teams snaps.  Lavonte David, De'Vondre Campbell.  Neville Hewitt seems small, BJ Goodson doesn't seem like an improvement for what we have

It kind of depends on what we're lookign for,  we might give Foster a shot

If our plan next year is Foster, who hasn't played football in three years I'm not only throwing the swings off my kid's swingset but I'm going to run head first into the slide. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, method man said:

Based on this, looks like we should look to FA to fill WR and the draft to fill out any other starting positions. Not necessarily a good year to have a bunch of cap room, unless Dak actually hits the market. 

I think we'll sign Curtis Samuel. Panthers already have a surefire #1 in DJ Moore, and an excellent #2 in Robby Anderson. They can probably safely allow Curtis to walk and I think he would be a good fit here. He should come at a cheaper price tag than many of the WRs on that list.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think we'll sign Curtis Samuel. Panthers already have a surefire #1 in DJ Moore, and an excellent #2 in Robby Anderson. They can probably safely allow Curtis to walk and I think he would be a good fit here. He should come at a cheaper price tag than many of the WRs on that list.

Agree. I’ve also been saying that for a while too. He’s improved this season and his skill set seems to fit what Turner would want.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. I’ve also been saying that for a while too. He’s improved this season and his skill set seems to fit what Turner would want.

He's one of those weird players that Turner loves. He's a WR primarily but gets a frequent amount of carries. Turner is all about deception, can you imagine what the defense would be thinking with Gibson, McKissic, and Samuel on the field at the same time? Each guy can take a hand-off or run routes lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He's one of those weird players that Turner loves. He's a WR primarily but gets a frequent amount of carries. Turner is all about deception, can you imagine what the defense would be thinking with Gibson, McKissic, and Samuel on the field at the same time? Each guy can take a hand-off or run routes lol. 

Yep, seems like a logical fit. Can’t see him being that ‘expensive’ either, although he is having a relatively strong season so he’s likely helping his contact value along the way. Should still be considered mid tier FA though.

Pick up Samuel, draft a #1 TE prospect and take a WR in the mid /later rounds in a deep class would be my initial approach to the offseason at those positions.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep, seems like a logical fit. Can’t see him being that ‘expensive’ either, although he is having a relatively strong season so he’s likely helping his contact value along the way. Should still be considered mid tier FA though.

Pick up Samuel, draft a #1 TE prospect and take a WR in the mid /later rounds in a deep class would be my initial approach to the offseason at those positions.

We should be able to get Dyami Brown in the 5th or later the way he’s being projected right now. I think the guy has a lot of potential. 

There’s prospects.

But FA needs to be used to get some of our guys taken care of and plugging holes. 

Denzel Perryman needs to be a name we look at in FA. Perryman is real solid. But honestly just improving at MIKE is a huge deal. Having any kind of depth there is huge. 

I think we’re going to see some cap casualties as well.

We need two to three new guys at LB. At least one depth type, one guy that can compete and a true MIKE. 

Receiver I’d be hesitant to bring in a middle tier name. We have those guys. Either go big in FA or take a guy in the draft somewhere as either our #2 or a development guy. 

There’s a bunch of FA tight ends. We need to bring one of them in. 

Ideally headed into the draft you plug as many holes as you can in an adequate fashion which allows you to take BPA type guys (with a weighted scoring system for need and positional value). 

Id love to find a way to be good this year and next year in the middle of the first fall into Jalen Wydermyer at TE.

I think FS is going to be a harder spot to upgrade. There’s a few good players there but competition is going to be real stiff. It would be excellent to come out of FA with Simmons... but how much the team should give in terms of cap % is a real question. He’s going to get paid. 

I’m kinda ok not paying big for a receiver. Missing out on Cooper last year is probably a blessing in disguise this season. We’ll have to invest heavily in Terry Mc soon, therefore I’m happy to sit on a mid tier free agent this upcoming offseason. Plus a TE of any quality will help spread the load.

Need to have a look around at potential cap casualties. Can usually find some decent articles on those.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, JSSkinz said:

There's a few good options :

The best option may be Avery Williamson from PIT

He's probably followed with Denzel Perryman and not BJ Goodson

Another good one, who's downside is he's been injured this year, is Mark Barron.

Another guy who started out strong in his career, but whose production sloped down a bit the last couple seasons is Jarrad Davis.

But really, we need to raise the bar at the position. Average should not be acceptable anymore

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's a few good options :

The best option may be Avery Williamson from PIT

There's also Denzel Perryman and BJ Goodson

Another good one, who's downside is he's been injured this year, is Mark Barron.

Another guy who started out strong in his career, but whose production sloped down a bit the last couple seasons is Jarrad Davis

while I was looking into this I found an article that said Goodson is being pretty heavily victimized in pass defense.  That's where Bostic is worst, so he at least wouldn't seem like an improvement

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, carex said:

while I was looking into this I found an article that said Goodson is being pretty heavily victimized in pass defense.  That's where Bostic is worst, so he at least wouldn't seem like an improvement

Yea, good intel. I would scratch him from the list. Looking closer, he almost seems like another Bostic. Also, has never been an every-down LB

David, the Buccaneers’ 58th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, has been a cornerstone for almost a decade. Since coming to Tampa Bay, David has only experienced one winning season with the club, and that was a 9-7 year where they did not make the playoffs. David has been in the middle of the Buccaneers’ 12-year postseason drought, yet he’s been in the middle of it with incredible accomplishments.

Since coming into the league, there is an argument that can be made that no linebacker has been better. And, yes, that includes his 2012 classmates Luke Kuechly and Bobby Wagner.

Here are David’s career numbers to this point:

Games Played: 121

Total Tackles: 1,008

Solo Tackles: 724

Tackles For Loss: 116

Sacks: 22.5

Interceptions: 11

Passes Defended: 45

Forced Fumbles: 21

Fumble Recoveries: 14

Takeaways Forced: 32

There are only three categories (total tackles, interceptions, and passes defended) where Kuechly had better production than David, and only two categories (total tackles and passes defended) where Wagner has David beat.

In every other stat, David is king.

I don’t bring that up as a slight to those players; both have been incredible and have shaped the league during their time. But Kuechly has seven Pro Bowls and five All-Pros to his name, and Wagner has six Pro Bowls and five All-Pros. As for David, he has just one Pro Bowl and one All-Pro—one of the greatest crimes I can name in terms of recognition robbery.

David has not been given the love he deserves outside of Tampa Bay, but when it comes to the team he’s been on his entire career, they know his worth.

After playing out his full four-year, $3.5 million rookie deal, the Buccaneers signed David to a five-year, $50.250 million deal back in 2016. But that deal is set to expire next spring.

So what can we expect to see the Buccaneers offer their long-time franchise linebacker; and a player whose name will surely be in the team’s Ring of Honor once he hangs up his cleats?

David, who is now 30 years old, signed his last contract at age 25, with his All-Pro year and Pro Bowl year already under his belt. That contract had an average salary of $10.05 million. He’s older now, but there is reason to believe he’ll be making even more for at least a few years on the other side of 30.

It’s hard to find a similar contract situation for David because there simply are not many linebackers who have the resume (both in success and longevity) that David does. With Kuechly now retired, we look to Wagner. Fortunately for us, Wagner recently signed a deal that we can compare.

At age 29, Wagner signed a three-year, $54 million extension in 2019, which made him the highest-paid middle linebacker in the NFL. Wagner still holds that title with an $18 million per year average. Right behind him is C.J. Mosley at $17 million. Moseley signed an insane five-year, $85 million deal last offseason.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/lavonte-david-new-contract-value-buccaneers

I recall some debate about whether the Giants overpaid for Martinez last year in FA.   Some say now they have the best defense in the division.  I personally don't agree with that.  But I'll give them that shoring up MLB and adding to CB in FA really helped that defense.

A really good MLB makes a difference.  Look at Dallas defense now with the return of Vader Esch.  They are much more stout now than without him.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.39.14 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Signing a top end inside backer would cost a lot of cash. I really, really hope we draft a guy that grows from within. Otherwise signing a guy for huge money HAS to happen.

Edited by KDawg