Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Hopeful but Scherff has to be realistic as the team does.  He has suffered injuries/time on the field over the past few seasons being the highest paid OG in the league and one that has played only RG if I'm not mistaken means we shouldn't over pay.  JMO.  :)

Russ Grimm only had a few healthy years and he was worth every penny. 

Scherff is a tone setter on the field and off it, like Allen.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, OVCChairman said:

We dont know that.  Our defense has been playing better recently, but is that because of Curl or because they're now 12 weeks into the process?  Who is to say that Collins isn't even better than Curl after grasping the system?  Football is instinct, when you think, you hesitate... resulting in blown assignments and missed tackles.  Something Collins did before he got hurt, but not before this year.  

Boy I don't know about that. Before he got hurt Collins was a major problem, I don't think it's an accident that the defense's improvement came when they switched out both safeties.  

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Boy I don't know about that. Before he got hurt Collins was a major problem, I don't think it's an accident that the defense's improvement came when they switched out both safeties.  

I'm just not convinced that Collins' ability is gone yet.  I want to see him in this defense in his 2nd season.  The guy was an all pro 3 years ago.  He's 26.  We're not talking about a guy who is over age, in the twilight of his career, and has been on the decline for years.  He had a rough start to the season, but I don't think it's as easy as "he's a bad football player."  

IF he can recover from the Achilles, I think there's still enough ability there to be a force, especially in this defense.  There are plenty of ways to scheme a guy like Collins without asking him to play center field or be man to man vs a TE...  

17 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm just not convinced that Collins' ability is gone yet.  I want to see him in this defense in his 2nd season.  The guy was an all pro 3 years ago.  He's 26.  We're not talking about a guy who is over age, in the twilight of his career, and has been on the decline for years.  He had a rough start to the season, but I don't think it's as easy as "he's a bad football player."  

IF he can recover from the Achilles, I think there's still enough ability there to be a force, especially in this defense.  There are plenty of ways to scheme a guy like Collins without asking him to play center field or be man to man vs a TE...  

Yeah I can't really figure out Landon Collins.  Many felt he was good last year, I saw him as OK but not really making many big plays.  Certainly not good enough to warrant that kind of contract.  Then this year he was pretty bad, missing tackles (his strength) and he never could cover a tight end.  

But you're right, he was a really good player in NY and he's not old. But maybe this is a  Trotter situation.  

35 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If we have to carry Collins another year, find a way to move him to WLB, where he can play close to the LOS. I wouldn’t sit Curl

1 minute ago, method man said:

If we have to carry Collins another year, find a way to move him to WLB, where he can play close to the LOS. I wouldn’t sit Curl

if Curl can play slot corner he has coverage ability so we could switch him to free safety

On 12/11/2020 at 5:54 AM, CapsSkins said:

Anyone here interested in Richard Sherman as a veteran presence in the secondary next year? Is he a scheme fit? Could he play safety? Dude's gonna be priced out of SF and he made a Pro Bowl last year.

Richard Sherman…hmm.  I might be interested if he switched to FS and then only if [insert standard ES answer when looking at expensive FA.  You know the one about a cap friendly deal]. I am content with Everett so its not high up on my priorities.

23 minutes ago, method man said:

See I think we have the versatility that you remove labels and let guys do their thing.  I dont think Curl is a FS by standards but moving him around and setting up matchups is the biggest thing.  I dont want to necessarily move Collins but yes he could play that type of role, but not necessarily on the LOS.  Let him play that Jamal Adams type of role, with a little less man coverage.  He started flashing some key plays right before he got hurt when he forced a fumble.  

Fuller can drop into a "safety" role, disguise the alignment pre snap and use the secondary to confuse the eyes of the qb

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm just not convinced that Collins' ability is gone yet.  I want to see him in this defense in his 2nd season.  The guy was an all pro 3 years ago. 

I cant figure out what he does well, if the claim is he is good at making plays at the line of scrimmage then why was his missed tackle percentage 18% in 7 games this year which puts him in the bottom 10% of the league, it was 12% last year which is the bottom 40% of the league.

He was in the single digits while at NY.  Franchises don't typically let young players who have made the All Pro team leave, they saw something that gave them pause.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I cant figure out what he does well, if the claim is he is good at making plays at the line of scrimmage then why was his missed tackle percentage 18% in 7 games this year which puts him in the bottom 10% of the league, it was 12% last year which is the bottom 40% of the league.

He was in the single digits while at NY.  Franchises don't typically let young players who have made the All Pro team leave, they saw something that gave them pause.

Collins is a big hitter who capitalizes on offensive mistakes in my opinion. He will always work best when he is the cleaner, not the attacker. He cleans up what other primary defenders give. That's not a knock. It's his style.

He needs to be paired with a really good FS (and to be fair, he may have looked better with Everett).

He isn't a man coverage guy. He's a guy that when another defender cuts off a running lane, he's there in position to bring the thunder. Rule changes have hampered that part of his game a little bit. 

He isn't an open field tackler. He wants the ball and goes after it. And that can happen in a variety of ways, but again, mostly when his teammates are forcing errors.

And that is a major function of a defense. And important.

Unfortunate for him that Curl is doing a similar thing except better in coverage and in space tackling. 

I put something like this in the Curl thread just a few minutes ago.  Different defenses are built in different ways.  The guy from the Eagles who was the DC there forever said what he wanted was an outstanding safety and DT.  Others prefer to build DEs and DBs.

The Ron Rivera defense seems to be Front-7 focused.  As he has sad from his opening presser, "we will stop the run on the way to the QB.  For this defense, LB, and particularly ILB is the "star" position.  Which means you can get away with "Good" and not "Great" safeties.  (I would argue we've had "Awful" to "Bad" a lot of this year, but between Shaze and Curl, they're at least somewhere between "average' and "good."

Which brings us to Collins.  If the philosophy of the defense is to put the responsibility of the front 7 to stop the run (for the most part), you don't need what Collins theoretically did best, which was being in the box and supporting the run. You need more coverage ability out of both of your safety spots.  

I don't know how Collins fits in this defense, and I have no idea how healthy he'll be next year.  All of that is unknown.

I do know this: Ron is NOT going to play a guy because he was given a big, stupid contract by Bruce.  So we'll see what happens next year.  I imagine if the team could find a way to get out of his contract, they will, but I'm not sure they'll be able to this year because it was a big, stupid contract given to him by Bruce. 

29 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yeah but that paycheck... ALL WORLD BABY!!!

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Curl looks great, but let's make sure he's not another Chris Horton first...

That’s a silly and lazy comp. Horton was hyped up because of a flukey number of interceptions. What Curl has shown us is some of the best tackling we’ve seen from our safeties since the Gregg Williams days. One style of play is more predictable than the other...

3 hours ago, carex said:

if Curl can play slot corner he has coverage ability so we could switch him to free safety

It’s interesting because he played that at Arkansas but coverage had been his weakness here. He is probably best at SS

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Russ Grimm only had a few healthy years and he was worth every penny. 

Scherff is a tone setter on the field and off it, like Allen.

I am fine with tagging Scherff another year if needed. Yes he is a stud but he misses so much time. It’s bad business to pay top dollar for someone who will play less than 14 games for you per season. The other point to note is that his career will be shorter than many due to the accumulation of injuries he has suffered over the years.

What would be great is if we bring Scherff back one more year and see if Charles can be a solution by staying healthy, for starters

2 hours ago, method man said:

That’s a silly and lazy comp. Horton was hyped up because of a flukey number of interceptions. What Curl has shown us is some of the best tackling we’ve seen from our safeties since the Gregg Williams days. One style of play is more predictable than the other...

That wasn't the point I was making at all, but ok.

5 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

$28 mil??  He would laugh at you.  He was asking for somewhere between 40-50 mil from Dallas.  

And I would laugh at him, make an offer, you never know. The $45M is in the 5th year of the contract and doubtful its guaranteed.

We'll see where they set the ceiling on the cap but we may be the most interesting team with the most cap space except for maybe NE.

6 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Is Reddick a FA to be?  I want him. Outstanding game today. Always liked him even in the draft. 

I think he IS a FA. And I clicked on this topic just to post about his game. You beat me. Look at the speed around the edge. Also, look how susceptible Andrew Thomas is to Speed. 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/every-sack-from-haason-reddick-s-franchise-record-game-week-14

Archived