Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, carex said:

well people keep ignoring him then he pops up on a team and seems to play well.  Maybe he just has unreasonably high salary demands

dare say that’s the issue. So he pretty much got 3mil for a year back at the Panthers. Rivera also drafted him and he’s played a season at the Chargers when our new DB coach was an assistant there.

Seems like he is a strong bet to get a deal here in my opinion.

Boston said he talked with Carolina’s front office about returning to the Panthers, although those conversations didn’t get very far.

“Knowing how they do business, they’re a big front-seven team. Don’t put a lot of value into the DBs,” he said. “It’s just what they’ve done over the years. They kind of want to stick with that and I respected that.”

From a 2017 article about unemployed players linked to political activism, rest of the story here:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article209111609.html

PFF ranks the free agents.  Here are some of our likely targets:

47. CB KENDALL FULLER

There’s no arguing that Kendall Fuller’s career has been heading south at a rapid rate of knots, but we are just two years removed from him looking like the best slot defender in the NFL. In 2017, Fuller earned an overall PFF grade of 90.6 thanks to four interceptions and eight pass breakups; he allowed a passer rating of just 56.7 and only 9.3 yards per catch. The Chiefs moved Fuller to safety where his play fell off a cliff, but a new team might try and resurrect his best play in the slot given that he is just 25 and should theoretically have his best football ahead of him.

43. LB JAMIE COLLINS SR.

Jamie Collins' last attempt at free agency was the ultimate case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Multiple seasons of elite play in New England during his first stint with the franchise led the Browns to become besotted with him, but his time in Cleveland was little north of disastrous. However, his return to the Patriots saw him rediscover a stretch of elite play before cooling off and ending the season with a sequence of disappointing play. Collins may represent one of the largest potential variances of any free agent available, but he remains an athletic and intriguing player who could tempt teams into trying to take advantage of a playmaker and game-changer on defense.

40. CB BRIAN POOLE

Coming off his best season, Poole posted an 80.0 coverage grade and allowed only 7.4 yards per reception in 2019, and he hits the market as an experienced slot corner. He graded in the 60.0s in coverage for the Falcons between 2016 and 2018 and missed double-digit tackles in all three seasons. Poole has played almost exclusively in the slot, so look for that to continue no matter where he ends up.

38. CB TRAE WAYNES

As a former first-round draft pick, Trae Waynes hasn’t become the star that the Minnesota Vikings would have been hoping for, but he has developed into a consistently viable starter who excels in the run game while showing enough glimpses of coverage ability to keep teams buying into his overall potential. Waynes has impressive speed, but he has never been able to consistently avoid getting beaten enough to rank among the better corners in the game. He's given up 16 touchdowns over the last four seasons.

36. CB LOGAN RYAN

Ryan has had a solid career, and he hits free agency once again after three years in Tennessee. He’s a slot corner who has graded between 62.0 and 76.2 in coverage in all but one year of his seven-year career, and that level of consistency makes him an intriguing candidate for teams looking for help in the slot. Ryan has generally been an excellent tackler, though 20 of his 49 career misses came in 2019.

34. LB JOE SCHOBERT

There’s been a distinct line between Schobert’s play in the run game (where he’s graded at 55.0 or below over the last two years) and in coverage (where he graded at an excellent 87.7 in 2018 and a solid 67.6 last year). He finished 2019 with four interceptions and four pass breakups, and he’s transitioned nicely from college pass-rusher to valuable coverage linebacker. In a new system, that pass-rushing ability could come in handy, as he only rushed the passer 62 times last season after rushing over 100 times in his previous two years as a starter.

30. TE AUSTIN HOOPER

Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.

29. S JIMMIE WARD

Ward has worn many hats in the 49ers’ secondary, but 2019 has been his best season by a longshot, as he ranked eighth among safeties with an 84.2 overall grade during the regular season. After playing slot corner, outside corner and every safety variation, Ward’s career year has came after spending 71% of his snapsat free safety, where he’s broken up eight passes and missed just three tackles on the year. Ward has been flying around the field this season, and he’s become a playmaker on the back end of the one of the best defenses in the league.

27. CB TROY HILL

A PFF favorite in the first draft we covered with the benefit of full play-by-play college grading, Troy Hill has developed into an interesting player. At just 5-foot-11 and 183 pounds, Hill is very undersized compared to the league’s better corners, and he can struggle against the physical monsters that many teams boast as their top receiver. When the Rams acquired Jalen Ramsey to cover those players, though, Hill was transformed as a corner who can consistently win battles against No. 2 receivers. This season, he finished the year ranked 12th in PFF grade; he allowed only 45.1% of passes thrown his way to be caught for a passer rating of just 54.9.

23. S TRE BOSTON

Over the last three seasons, Boston has quietly been one of the best pure free safeties in the league, and he’s done it with three different teams. He’s not as versatile as other safeties on the list, as he lines up almost exclusively as a free safety, but with 11 interceptions and 16 pass breakups over the last three years, Boston is a game-changer on the back end. On the other hand, his tackling has been poor, as he’s missed 25 tackles over the last two seasons. While his tackling and lack of versatility drop his value, Boston is a perfect fit in a deep safety role for both single- and two-high safety teams.

22. TE ERIC EBRON

Even with a perceived rejuvenation to his career in 2018, Ebron has enough of a sample size for teams to feel comfortable about his skillset as a solid pass-catching threat and below-average run blocker. Ebron set career-highs in receptions (74), yards (827) and touchdowns (14) in 2018, though when paired with a 70.5 receiving grade, we see that some of that production was fool’s gold. Even if he never reaches those heights again, he’s heading into next season at 27 years old with four straight campaigns of 69.0-plus receiving grades — and that’s a good resume for an athletic tight end who can work the middle of the field.

16. G JOE THUNEY

It’s been a story of continuous improvement for Thuney since entering the league in 2016, and he finished the 2019 regular season with the No. 5 overall grade among guards (77.4). Thuney has had his best year in pass protection, allowing just 16 pressures on 693 attempts, good for the third-highest pass-blocking grade in the league (87.4). A converted college offensive tackle, Thuney struggled against more powerful players early in his career, but he’s developed nicely into one of the best all-around guards in the league.

14. G BRANDON SCHERFF

After playing over 1,000 snaps in each of his first two seasons, Scherff has battled injuries over the last three years, missing 15 games along the way. When healthy, he’s been among the league’s best, grading between 75.0 and 81.4 in all but one of his five NFL seasons. In 2019, Scherff finished with the No. 28 overall pass-blocking grade (72.0), but his No. 15 ranking on true pass sets bodes well for a resurgence next season. In the run game, Scherff ranked in the top six when blocking for both gap and zone schemes, and he is a fit for any NFL team looking to upgrade on the interior, though recent injuries are certainly a concern.

13. T JACK CONKLIN

Conklin is the best right tackle on the market, and he’s coming off a regular season which he finished 12th overall among tackles in PFF grade (78.3) and fifth in run-blocking grade (81.0). Conklin has some issues in pass protection, as his pass-blocking grade ranks just 49th on true pass sets over the last two seasons, and he’s on the higher end among offensive tackles receiving help (double teams, chip blocks, etc). Still, Conklin is a versatile run blocker who finished with the No. 6 grade on zone runs and the No. 14 mark on gap runs.  He’s been one of the better right tackles in the league since being drafted in the first round in 2016.

12. S JUSTIN SIMMONS

Simmons had a breakout 2019 season, grading at 90.8 overall and earning PFF first-team All-Pro honors. The only thing keeping Simmons from being higher on the list is the multiple-year sample, as his previous three years saw Simmons grade between 60.9 and 75.3 prior to his 2019 ascension. The biggest place where Simmons improved has been at the catch point, where he broke up 11 passes in 2019 after breaking up just three in his first three years in the league. At only 26 years old, Simmons will be coveted by two-high safety teams with interchangeable roles, and the hope is that his breakout season was an indicator of big things to come. Even if he can’t duplicate his All-Pro season, Simmons still brings a solid all-around safety who can line up all over the field.

9. LB CORY LITTLETON

Littleton has quietly become one of the best coverage linebackers in the league, capable of running the seam with tight ends and closing quickly on running backs underneath. He has 18 pass breakups and six interceptions over the last two seasons, and he's posted a 90.6 coverage grade that ranks third-best in the league. However, while potential suitors are going to love Littleton’s ability to affect the passing game, he has had his struggles against the run. His 50.8 run-defense grade ranks just 103rd out of 126 qualifiers over the last two years, so that could hurt his value for teams looking for an all-around three-down linebacker.

8. TE HUNTER HENRY

Since entering the league in 2016, there have been two constants in Henry’s career: injuries and production. When healthy, he’s one of the best receiving tight ends in the game, and his 90.5 receiving grade against single coverage is eighth-best in the league since 2016. Henry is also a solid run blocker, posting above-average seasons in two out of his three full years. Any team looking for his services is going to get a mismatch weapon who can win in-line, in the slot or on the outside. That versatility is extremely valuable in today’s NFL.

5. CB CHRIS HARRIS JR.

Another top coverage player, Harris has an extended track record of success, but he’s going to be 31 at the start of the 2020 season. He’s also coming off his worst season, finishing with a slightly above-average coverage grade of 66.8. However, this was the first season of Harris’ career that saw him play exclusively on the outside after he spent the majority of his career cementing his standing as the best slot corner of the decade with more than enough talent to hold his own on the outside when needed. Harris is an intriguing candidate for teams looking to put him back in the slot, where he excels in both man and zone coverage.

4. CB BYRON JONES

A move to cornerback rejuvenated Jones’ career in 2018, as he showed that he could play single coverage on the outside at a high level. He finished with the 14th-best coverage grade among corners in 2018 (80.4) before dropping to 21st in 2019 (74.8), but those are extremely valuable numbers as he hits the open market. Many will point to Jones not picking off a pass over the last two years, but his 74.1 coverage grade in single coverage is 11th-best during that time, and he has also shown the ability to match up against tight ends when called upon. Jones brings youth and coverage ability to the open market, making him the top defensive free agent heading into the offseason.

3. S ANTHONY HARRIS

One of the league’s most underrated players, Harris has been a playmaker on the back end of the Minnesota defense since seeing extended playing time in 2018. Harris has the top regular-season coverage grade among safeties at 91.6 after ranking sixth last season. He’s played the majority of his snaps at free safety, but this season has seen him play about 40% of his snaps in the box or over the slot, showing that he can play a more versatile role in a defense. Harris has nine interceptions and seven pass breakups over the last two years, all while missing just four of his 100 tackle attempts. Playmaking, sure-tackling safeties are of immense value in the NFL, and Harris has shown both traits as much as any safety in the league over the last two seasons.

Here is my free agent wish list, and how the roster would shake out heading into the 2020 draft.

1) Anthony Castonzo (OT, 32) previous team Colts

2) Jack Conklin (OT, 26) previous team Titans

3) James Bradberry (CB, 27) previous team Panthers

4) Anthony Harris (S, 28) previous team Vikings 

5) Jamie Collins (4-3 OLB, 30) previous team Patriots

6) Austin Hooper ( TE, 25) previous team Falcons

-Resign Ereck Flower

I am in the Trade Trent Williams camp. I think its time we move on. Hopefully we could fetch a mid to low first round pick for him. 

I have always been a big Kerrigan fan, but I think its time to move on, and trade him while he still has value.

Release. Norman, Reed, Moses

The Roster now looks like this going into the draft. I 'm gonna pencil in Chase young as our pick at #2 and add him into the roster.

Offense

QB- Haskins

WR- McLaurin, Harmon, S. Sims, C. Sims

RB- Guice, Peterson, Love

TE- Hooper, Sprinkle, 

C- Roullier, Pierschbacher

T- Castonzo, Conklin, Christian

G- Flowers, Martin, Bergstrom

Defense

DE- Young, Sweat, Anderson, Brailford, 

DT- Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Settle, Brantley

ILB- Holcomb, Dion Hamilton, Bostic

OLB- Foster, J. Collins, McKinzy

S- L. Collins, Harris, Nicholson, Apke

CB- Bradberry, Dunbar, Moreau, Moreland

- Obviously a Vet QB will probably be brought in as well.  I like how the roster would be shaping up here with these moves heading into the draft, especially if we can get a 1st for Trent. I don't think we would have any huge glaring holes, and would be able to go best player available.

in Free Agency:

S Anthony Harris/ Tre Boston

CB Chris Harris Jr./ Logan Ryan

TE Hunter Henry/Austin Hooper 

Turner’s O gonna need a good TE 
If there is enough $ WR Emmanuel Sanders

You wanna get serious about defense? Go get the best. Plus Chase Young and new guidance, I think we got a chance. 

We Got money let’s use it wisely.

Draft: LB, CB, OL, WR, But most of all BPA

I would stay away from FAs who had inflated stats the year before entering free agency, for the rest I would sign them on a performance based contract with incentives. In terms of spirit, commitment, I would seek London Fletcher type of FA, I know how scarce they are.

The list is going to shrink real fast.

I was listening to a Carolina reporter on a podcast.  2 things he said.  He wouldn't be surprised if Rivera asks Norman to restructure his contract and he keeps him.

He also said he talked to Bradberry who told him he's ready to test the market, the reporter goes to Bradberry well you know Rivera is out there now on another team, so Bradberry goes yep, he's my guy. 

Tennessee has a ton of cap room. Aren't they very likely to resign Conklin? I want him, would would assume that he won't be available. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to a Carolina reporter on a podcast.  2 things he said.  He wouldn't be surprised if Rivera asks Norman to restructure his contract and he keeps him.

He also said he talked to Bradberry who told him he's ready to test the market, the reporter goes to Bradberry well you know Rivera is out there now on another team, so Bradberry goes yep, he's my guy. 

I think Bradberry and Tre Johnson are extremely likely to wind up on this Roster. Would love it if they were also joined by another CB, Jack Conklin, Trent Williams, Scherff, Flowers and maybe Hooper. That's my list. 

Hunter Henry is a beast. I like the idea of adding Henry, restructuring Jordan Reed and drafting a mid round developmental TE.  

If Reed chooses to play, why not attempt to recoup some value and adjust expectations for him while attempting to maximize his skill set. To be clear, as staunchly as I’ve supported Reed (I was wrong) he cannot be plan A. 

A veteran WR would be of great value. Even going all in on an Amari Cooper on a deal that puts most of the guarantees in the first two years and maybe 3rd year positioning the Skins to either pay a Harmon or let Cooper walk. 

The offense would be in great position with a mixture of youth and veterans, but that’s a dream scenario. Also, if it came at the expense of keeping the Oline together, I’d pass. Skins have a lot of money available and can get real creative with the upcoming few years. Retain and load up on offensive talent. 

No interest in spending on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully Rivera has a few cheap guys he can add to strengthen the unit and compete at safety, LB and corner. 

AJ Green anyone?  Injuries and 32, BUT gives us a huge WR in terms of size and will not command as much money as Cooper will.  I'm kind of more into Hunter Henry vs Hooper.  I think Henry is more talented and Hooper benefited from the constant coverage assigned to Julio.

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

AJ Green anyone?  Injuries and 32, BUT gives us a huge WR in terms of size and will not command as much money as Cooper will. 

Yes, mentioned him a while back too. I would not discount the idea.

Seems like Bradberry and Boston might be highly probable at CB/FS

Drafted by Rivera, also played under Del Rio...

CB Daryl Worley: Coaches like Worley's toughness and versatility and appreciated his willingness to move around the secondary in an attempt to shore up weak spots. Worley is a serviceable outside cornerback, but the Silver and Black should look for a better long-term solution. The Raiders could still re-sign him as a bridge cornerback while developing Isaiah Johnson, though Worley might not like that. He's looking for the biggest financial commitment, which likely will be found somewhere else

The words of our new OC, 

On how the tight end fits into his offense:

“Right now, the tight end is very important to our offense. We're evaluating everything. We're going to try and get as much talent as we can on offense. You look at that in different ways, obviously what is on the roster currently, but then we will look in free agency and we'll look in the draft. Those are the different avenues to acquiring talent and we're open to all of that."

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Tennessee has a ton of cap room. Aren't they very likely to resign Conklin? I want him, would would assume that he won't be available. 

I think Bradberry and Tre Johnson are extremely likely to wind up on this Roster. Would love it if they were also joined by another CB, Jack Conklin, Trent Williams, Scherff, Flowers and maybe Hooper. That's my list. 

Tre Johnson is a little past his prime but I'll take Tre Boston.  😁   I think he and Bradberry and Hooper would be great.  I'm sure Boston would be much cheaper than Harrison.

Man I loved me some Tre Johnson...what a fun loving beastly pulling guard he was.  Thanks for the memory!

image.thumb.png.4e5b8a9f1d1f855aa632b7b72b7b1272.png 

Here's 78/90 for the offseason roster. Figured I'd let the coaches fill out the final 12 with 3rd/4th QB and FA/UDFA guys. lol

Left 4 DL/LB, just to account for 4-3/3-4 alignments. I know we'll be a base 4-3, but this is just for offseason roster fun.

I can’t imagine us keeping Norman even if he restructures. We’ve got money to spend, it’s time to get younger and better.

At TE, Reed has to go.  I could actually see us keeping Davis purely for his receiving ability, keeping Sprinkle, and drafting a TE in the 3rd.

And if Sanu couldn’t make it work with the Patriots, I don’t see how trading a draft pick for him would be beneficial.  I’d rather see how Cam develops and draft some more young receivers.

Littleton is... okay. Jamie Collins is the same. Wouldn’t hate those moves. They’re better (read: more reliable) than Reuben Foster and allow Foster to be the bonus factor. They also provide depth and insurance for SDH. 

Bradbury and Boston are okay.

Sanu is for the most part Paul Richardson, who is already on the roster. No sense in giving up assets for a mediocre guy who couldn’t succeed with Tom Brady. 

Im with with Norman at a cheaper rate. I think he’ll feel he has a lot to prove and Rivera knows how to use him. But we’d still need a corner. Dunbar’s health + Norman + one other guy changes our situation at corner fairly quickly IF Norman was hamstrung by Manusky

I feel like Norman et. al. were "hamstrung" by a dysfunctional team that allowed a lot of jackassey to go on, with all the attendant finger pointing. There won't be those cracks to fall through this year. I am curious to see if Norman even gets the chance to play as he is able under Rivera & Co. I've got no time or inclination for reclamation projects but this year's camp is gonna be lightyears away from previous ones. There is some value to Norman in that he knows the Rivera way, the question is- does he still have the stones to bring it at that level?

Archived