Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

42 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Flowers really had a great year but I wouldn’t fork over a ton of cash for him. Guards are easier to find than tackles plus we have 2 young ones in the waiting. so I rather put the extra money to either Trent, a new RT or Scherff.  

uh, considering our past history with guards I really don't think that's all that true.  There have been years where we haven't even had one good guard in the past couple decades

48 minutes ago, carex said:

If Flowers does come back, I hope changing coaches doesn't hurt him

A major tip of the hat to Callahan for not seeing a failed tackle, but a promising LG in Flowers, and then developing him quickly into such a solid starter at that position. It's impressive as hell what Callahan saw and did, and how Flowers transitioned. Damn impressive. I hope Flowers stays. He might well want to follow Callahan wherever he goes next as OL Coach, but maybe Callahan takes a year off? Maybe the Judge will call on him in NY, but will Flowers go back to a Gettleman-run organization. I highly doubt that, even with Callahan as the position coach. I hope the young man sticks with us. We would then have some real depth at G, so long as we also add a piece or two in the off-season via FA and/or the draft.

On the cheaper end I'd let our new offensive staff take a crack at getting Mariota's head right. He's got tools but he's really no leader, he's timid, he doesn't even feel comfortable using his legs despite his athleticism. Sucks the energy out of a huddle. He's got issues but that's why he's a reclamation project and a fine shot at an interesting backup option who should be affordable but still leave Haskins room to grow into whatever he has the potential to be, if he does. 

Ok, a little research:

— Brees - He’s a force multiplier.  But he’s 41.  Do the Saints keep Teddy instead knowing the end of Brees is near?  I’d sign him in a New York minute.  And Haskins can sit.  

— Dak - I’m sure Jerrah will get him locked up or tagged, and no thank you. 

— Tannehill - The Titans probably keep him over Marriota at this point.  Though he’s really nothing special.  But his wife is smoking hot.  So there’s that.  

— Marriota - I have never been a real fan.  He’d be competition or a good backup, but not a huge upgrade.  

— Rivers - He would be an immediate upgrade.  And I’m sure he and his wife want to procreate on both coasts.  How many kids does he have now? 9?

— Brady - Wouldn’t come here.  He either stays in NE, retires to spend more time in Gisele, or plays on the west coast.  He’s also not going to play for an OC younger than him. 

— Jaimis Winston - I could see this.  Could either be a backup or starter.  Ron has seen him plenty.  If he could stop turning the hall over he’d be really good. 

— Bridgewater - Would be a good fit, makes a lot of sense.  Unless the Saints keep him over Brees.

Then we’re down to the Keenum and Eli’s of the world.  

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah. Weird off-season. Neither will make it though. 

Brees and Bridgewater from the Saints 

Tannehill and Mariota from Tennessee.

That doesn’t happen often.

I doubt either team signs both of their guys.

I could see the Skins targeting Rivers, Winston, or Bridgewater if Ronny wants a vet to come in to start.

If Brees is available, which he won’t be, you throw anything at him you can for 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, a little research:

— Brady - Wouldn’t come here.  He either stays in NE, retires to spend more time in Gisele, or plays on the west coast.  He’s also not going to play for an OC younger than him. 

Do you mean with Gisele, or in Gisele. I guess both would be equally true and desirable, in any event. 

— Bridgewater - Would be a good fit, makes a lot of sense.  Unless the Saints keep him over Brees.

I'm on the Bridgewater train.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

On the cheaper end I'd let our new offensive staff take a crack at getting Mariota's head right. He's got tools but he's really no leader, he's timid, he doesn't even feel comfortable using his legs despite his athleticism. Sucks the energy out of a huddle. He's got issues but that's why he's a reclamation project and a fine shot at an interesting backup option who should be affordable but still leave Haskins room to grow into whatever he has the potential to be, if he does. 

Honestly would scoff at this notion if it wasn't worded exactly the way you said it.  Will be interesting to see what his interest is on the FA market considering that the guy who replaced him was ALSO considered a 1st round bust just a few months ago.  

Take into account the way that Riverboatz ran his offense with Cam (and probably the lessons coach learned about how to NOT to protect his QB) and maybe he finds a happy medium where Mariota gets some confidence in RUNNING the offense like he did in college.

If he comes cheap, there is literally zero reason not to make him our back up.  

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Brees and Bridgewater from the Saints 

Tannehill and Mariota from Tennessee.

That doesn’t happen often.

I doubt either team signs both of their guys.

I could see the Skins targeting Rivers, Winston, or Bridgewater if Ronny wants a vet to come in to start.

If Brees is available, which he won’t be, you throw anything at him you can for 2 years. 

I can pretty much assuredly state it won't be Jameis. Arians can't wait to get rid of him and he's an interception machine. He's a case where we already have a guy that has a maturity concern label in the building, there's no reason to add a guy that definitely has some issues in that department.

In my opinion, depending on many factors, there are a handful of guys this team could take a flyer on:

Drew Brees

Teddy Bridgewater

Marcus Mariota

Cam Newton (connections matter to Rivera. I don't put this in the likely camp, but he's a guy I could see here)

Ryan Tannehill

These are the guys that right now I feel could be brought in. That's not including the chance of a rookie. I think Joe Burrow is a definite possibility of Cincy takes Young #1. I put that chance at about 1%. I don't think they pass on Burrow. But I use that point to illustrate that nothing is concrete.

Much of it depends on Alex Smith's status. Retired? Active? Recovery? And where Haskins falls in the pecking order.

Keep in mind, if Haskins is going to be a backup, it likely means Rivera has concerns about not only his play but mental makeup. And if those concerns exist, it may be hard to keep him on the roster as even a backup QB being groomed. He likely wouldn't take it well. 

Please understand I am not saying that is the case. I am trying to lay out scenarios.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who are the FA QBs to be?  

Brady

Rivers

Bridgewater

Colt

Keenum

Are there other legitimate  QBs out there this year?

Possibly Cam Newton if Carolina releases to not pay him.

Eli Manning FA

I also expect Derek Carr could become available through trade.

Andy Dalton might become available.

Marcus Marriota FA

Jameis Winston FA

Alex Smith is owed way too much money to think the skins can afford another quality QB. What's the benefit of having a starting QB on a rookie salary when the backup is getting 20+ million?? Our only options for backups are probably tier 3 guys like AJ Mcarron and Brett Hundley.

Philip Rivers is done...the chargers are way more stacked than us and he cost them them multiple games with his decision making

Brees isn't leaving that dome to come play outside on the worst field in the NFL

Bridgewater would be a fool to leave NO for DC

Regarding the rest of FA, I wouldn't mind some combination of the following to shore up the defense:

CB - Eli Apple 

CB - Trae Waynes

CB - Byron Jones

CB -Jalen Mills

S -Tre Boston

S - Karl Joseph

S - Anthony Harris

LB - Patrick Onwausor

LB -Joe Shobert

LB - Darron Lee

LB - Deonne Buccanon

Archived