Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

27 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

People need to remember that Reed hasn’t missed games just due to his concussions. He’s missed a plethora of non concussion games to his feet, his shoulders and other varieties of ailments.  
There is no doubt Hunter Henry is more Dynamic than Hooper, but this push for Henry given his injury history is a little surprising, Given OUR team injury history.

Hooper isn’t exciting, but he’s reliable and given his history should actually be there game in game out. If we decide for Henry maybe we could get some injury protection/incentive language in his deal, or get him at a cheaper rate. 

Agreed. I am not a fan of either of them being added.

Looks like no new CBA before FA starts...so in the current final year,

1. There is no June 1 Cut.

2. Teams have Both a Franchise and Transition Tag at their Disposal.

3. The 30% rule, to prevent teams from dumping huge amounts of cap into what technically is an uncapped season, the league has a rule in place in 2020 that does not allow raises of more than 30% of a player’s cap charge minus the signing bonus proration.

4. Teams have to account for all incentives in 2020, ie can’t defer them into 2021.

5. There may be no Cap Carryover for 2021.

Good job we have a boat load of cap space, but surely the thought of a 2021 lockout must have a significant bearing on the way you approach free agency. 

Should be interesting, that's three reporters indicating about there being some concern.  Typically, an ACL injury 13 months later is more than fine.  I recall some buzz about Love before the last draft that there was some concern about the specific injury from the context that some ACL injuries have different type of impacts on some players and it wasn't so hot for Love on that front.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/04/19/bryce-loves-nfl-draft-stock-falling-over-injury-issue/

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reported that NFL teams are wondering if Love will be able to regain his previous form, when he was a stout downhill runner, and that there’s also concerns about his knee still being “very stiff” after surgery.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Looks like no new CBA before FA starts...so in the current final year,

1. There is no June 1 Cut.

2. Teams have Both a Franchise and Transition Tag at their Disposal.

3. The 30% rule, to prevent teams from dumping huge amounts of cap into what technically is an uncapped season, the league has a rule in place in 2020 that does not allow raises of more than 30% of a player’s cap charge minus the signing bonus proration.

4. Teams have to account for all incentives in 2020, ie can’t defer them into 2021.

5. There may be no Cap Carryover for 2021.

Good job we have a boat load of cap space, but surely the thought of a 2021 lockout must have a significant bearing on the way you approach free agency. 

Im actually really interested in how they work out pay for the additional game.  The cap is going to have to be 1/17th higher to cover the additional game check for those under contract.  

58 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Im actually really interested in how they work out pay for the additional game.  The cap is going to have to be 1/17th higher to cover the additional game check for those under contract.  

The NFL has such a great system in place.  The scheduling format is so clean, adding a 17th game is ridiculous.  And 6 playoff teams with 2 teams getting a bye is fine, adding a 7th is ridiculous.  But money talks.

But as far as the cap increase, that's a good question.  How much impact will one additional game have?  How much extra revenue will it bring in?  It will have no effect on NFL apparel.  I'm sure sponsorships price tag will increase, tv deals will increase, but some of that might take some time where we see an effect.  

Not agreeing to this new deal right away and going off of the existing CBA sounds like it's good for the Redskins, bc with the 6th most cap space in the league and with a bunch of teams with tight cap situations, the Redskins will be able to land some high profile players.  If everyone was granted some extra space, they'd have more competition on some of their targets.

So I wanted to see what it would be like to play "GM/Contract guy" and not just look at the 2020 cap, but also 2021 and beyond based on a couple of assumptions. Really, what would it look like to spend money this off-season but also leave the future years open to being flexible. I made one assumption re: Dunbar. I am also going to assume that Alex Smith and Morgan Moses will be on the 2020 roster, but will be cut prior to 2021 as their contracts become easily released at that point.

I also structured the contracts based on the typical structures, lower cap hits in the first couple years but most of the guarantees, then higher caps/lower guarantees in later years. Two examples I will use here are for Bradberry and Trent Williams:

Trent annual cap hits: 20/21/22/23 = 13 - 15 - 16 - 18 for an average of 15.5m

Bradberry annual cap hits: 20/21/22/23/24 = 9 - 11 - 13 - 15 - 16 for an average of 12.8m

Assumptions:

1. Trade Dunbar for a mid-round draft pick

2. Release Alex Smith prior to the 2021 off-season

3. Release Morgan Moses prior to the 2021 off-season

With these assumptions, here's the cap space outlay going out to 2023

2020: $62.5

2021: $139.95

2022: $166.6

2023: $191.1

Re-Structures/Extensions:

1. Trent Williams: 4 years total, $62 million, $33m guaranteed ($15.5m APY) - signed through 2023

2. Ryan Kerrigan: 3 years total, $27 million, $16m guaranteed ($9m APY) - signed through 2022

With these signings, the cap space outlay going forward to 2023 is as follows:

2020: $67.3m

2021: $116m

2022: $139.6m

2023: $173.1m

Re-Signs:

1. Brandon Sherff: 5 years, $72 million, $31m guaranteed ($14.4m APY) - signed through 2024

2. Ereck Flowers: 4 years, $29 million, $12m guaranteed ($7.25m APY) - signed through 2023

Free-Agency:

1. James Bradberry: 5 years, $64 million, $29m guaranteed ($12.8m APY) - signed through 2024

2. Hunter Henry: 5 years, $45 million, $21m guaranteed ($9m APY) - signed through 2024

3. Karl Joseph: 4 years, $24 million, $10m guaranteed ($6m APY) - signed through 2023

4. Daryl Worley: 2 years, $6 million, $2m guaranteed ($3m APY) - signed through 2021

With these re-signings / major FA Acquisitions, the cap outlay through 2024 is:

2020: $35.4m

2021: $71m

2022: $89.6m

2023: $114.1m

2024: $148.8m

Now factoring in the 2020 draft class rookie pool and projected salaries out through 2023:

2020: $27.0m

2021: $60.9m

2022: $77.5m

2023: $99.5m

You could add additional draft classes through 2023 draft to assume for the standard rookie pool. Then it looks like this ... although most of the time cap projects don't factor in rookie pools beyond 1 year because it's an uncertainty, but this is just good for understanding the overall roster commitments going forward. Each class is assuming 7 players with a pick in each round 1-7 beyond our 2020 pick pool, as well as annual 20% increases for each class year over year. I am also going out to 2023, since that's the last year of the base 2020 class. We will be looking at 5th year options for our 2019 class in 2023, but hard to say what and who that will include this far out.

2020: $27.0m

2021: $53.3m (14 assumed contracts from 2020 and 2021 draft classes)

2022: $60.9m (21 assumed contracts from 2020, 2021, 2022 draft classes)

2023: $72.1m (28 assumed contracts from 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 draft classes)

Summary and 2020 impacts:

I only have 4 major outside acquisitons on here as I have Dunbar going away for a pick (increased pick cap pool as a result) ... I brought back Trent, Flowers and Scherff on the OL ... and added major acquisitions at CB (Bradberry), TE (Henry) and FS (Josesph) as well as a stopgap depth CB in Worley (drafted in the same class as Bradberry by Rivera in 2016.

There are still some needs that likely need to be addressed. Veteran QB (but is it someone for $2-3m or $8-10m?!) ... as well as a LB piece or two. But as far as the impacts to the Top 51 salaries for cap purposes, the only signings beyond what I projected that would have significant impacts are possibly a veteran LB and backup QB. But as you can see, after the rookie signing pool, we still have $27m in cap space to get that done and possibly let that roll into next year.

The money we have can go a long ways, and leaves flexibility in future years to re-sign guys and add more through FA, should we choose.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

The NFL has such a great system in place.  The scheduling format is so clean, adding a 17th game is ridiculous.  And 6 playoff teams with 2 teams getting a bye is fine, adding a 7th is ridiculous.  But money talks.

But as far as the cap increase, that's a good question.  How much impact will one additional game have?  How much extra revenue will it bring in?  It will have no effect on NFL apparel.  I'm sure sponsorships price tag will increase, tv deals will increase, but some of that might take some time where we see an effect.  

Not agreeing to this new deal right away and going off of the existing CBA sounds like it's good for the Redskins, bc with the 6th most cap space in the league and with a bunch of teams with tight cap situations, the Redskins will be able to land some high profile players.  If everyone was granted some extra space, they'd have more competition on some of their targets.

Something i heard on the Junkies also got me thinking.  There is no longer a home / away split.  15 teams will have 8 home games, 9 away.  The other 15 have 9 home games, 8 away.  Come the playoff hunt, this could be huge.  Plus its going to make scheduling a nightmare to try and not give any team the additional home game in back to back years.  

I will say i actually am in favor of the change because as a knuckle dragging football fan, replacing preseason games with regular season games means i get to see my team play an extra game that counts..  i just worry about all these odd number teams scenarios piecing together with competitive fairness.

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Something i heard on the Junkies also got me thinking.  There is no longer a home / away split.  15 teams will have 8 home games, 9 away.  The other 15 have 9 home games, 8 away.  Come the playoff hunt, this could be huge.  Plus its going to make scheduling a nightmare to try and not give any team the additional home game in back to back years.  

I'm also wondering if the 17 game season will eventually lead to a 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral site format.  NFL could expand their presence with more games in London, Mexico, etc.  Maybe even throw a bone to the good people of San Diego and st. louis every once in awhile.  

I agree on the cutdown of meaningless preseason games.  I wish they would just do 2 preseason, 16 regular season, but I can understand how teams are going to feel they have to reduce their sponsorship prices (which I think is ridiculous, but I'm sure those conversations will take place). 

why not add 2 extra games and make there a second bye week. Extend the season and keep your ad money, but without wrecking the players.

Need to dump thursday games. Sunday Monday is fine.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm also wondering if the 17 game season will eventually lead to a 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral site format.  NFL could expand their presence with more games in London, Mexico, etc.  Maybe even throw a bone to the good people of San Diego and st. louis every once in awhile.  

I agree on the cutdown of meaningless preseason games.  I wish they would just do 2 preseason, 16 regular season, but I can understand how teams are going to feel they have to reduce their sponsorship prices (which I think is ridiculous, but I'm sure those conversations will take place). 

I wonder if the XFL and preseason games will have any affect on each other.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Need to dump thursday games. 

I wonder if the XFL and preseason games will have any affect on each other.

As a fan I like Thur night games, I can get my NFL fix an extra day of the week.  However, it's brutal on the players to play another game in such a quick turnaround, I'd be ok with them going away.  But NFL will never give up that extra night to be in the spotlight.  They can talk about prioritizing player safety all they want, but they will make them play 2 games in 4 days, and now add extra games without batting an eye.  It's always all about the money unfortunately.

Sorry, I'm not following you on link between xfl and preseason.  Xfl season will wrap up end of April, NFL preseason games start in August.  Are you referring to the fact that the xfl didn't have much of a preseason and maybe that will help the NFL realize 4 preseason games are totally unnecessary?

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

As a fan I like Thur night games, I can get my NFL fix an extra day of the week.  However, it's brutal on the players to play another game in such a quick turnaround, I'd be ok with them going away.  But NFL will never give up that extra night to be in the spotlight.  They can talk about prioritizing player safety all they want, but they will make them play 2 games in 4 days, and now add extra games without batting an eye.  It's always all about the money unfortunately.

Sorry, I'm not following you on link between xfl and preseason.  Xfl season will wrap up end of April, NFL preseason games start in August.  Are you referring to the fact that the xfl didn't have much of a preseason and maybe that will help the NFL realize 4 preseason games are totally unnecessary?

I guess I mean just being able to follow players you like from the XFL into the NFL preseason and back again. It's a farm league pretty much, right?

I know they'll never give up thursdays. It's a shame. Should at least have them coincide with the bye week so they're not coming off a quick game.

13 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

What would be the reason to restructure Kerrigan? We will need to pay Allen/Payne/Ion/Young/Sweat. There is too much money needed to lock in to the young core of our team. We should look into moving him for a pick, and filling his spot with a rookie contract.

In strictly a dollars and cents standpoint, maybe you are right.  But from building a culture standpoint, I'd love to have kerrigan as the veteran presence for a young defensive line.  Especially since he is a stand up guy who has been a consummate professional during some lean years, and has stated a desire to remain with the team.  I feel they can come up with an extension that will make his cap number more manageable and it will be a good move for everyone.  As part of a rotation in a 4-3, I think he can still be a very productive player.  Not to mention an excellent mentor to chase young.

13 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

In strictly a dollars and cents standpoint, maybe you are right.  But from building a culture standpoint, I'd love to have kerrigan as the veteran presence for a young defensive line.  Especially since he is a stand up guy who has been a consummate professional during some lean years, and has stated a desire to remain with the team.  I feel they can come up with an extension that will make his cap number more manageable and it will be a good move for everyone.  As part of a rotation in a 4-3, I think he can still be a very productive player.  Not to mention an excellent mentor to chase young.

I like idea of keeping Kerrigan and exposing him less to the every play grind to maximize his skill set next year, but he would have to take a big pay cut for the value to be there for the Skins. I’ve heard names like Chris Long with the Pats  or Clay Mathews with Rams, but these guys were being paid like part time players (Clay 5.5mil last year and Long with Pats and Eagles made 2mil per year). 

What would the per year maximum be for some of you to keep him on board the next season or two?

Im at $5-7mil

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What would the per year maximum be for some of you to keep him on board the next season or two?

Im at $5-7mil

I'd max out at 3 yrs 24 mil, 12 mil or so gtd.  If he was asking for more than that, it might be better to trade him, although his reported willingness to stay makes me believe he agrees to an extension in the 7 mil per yr range.  I don't think the skins would even offer much less than that.  3 yrs 15 mil seems a bit low.

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Per my example scenario above ... 3 years and $27 million with $16 guaranteed gives you an out after 2021 and he is off the books after 2022 when Haskins, McLaurin and Sweat are due 5th year options. 

No 5th year option for Terry, he wasn't a first rounder, but your point remains that we will need a lot of wiggle room in and after 2022 for those 5th year options and extending our core of young players to build around.  If kerrigan agreed to the deal you proposed, I think that would be good for both sides.  27 mil is a little higher than I'd like to go, but the flexibility of making it a 2 yr deal to aid our long term plan makes it ok for me.

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Can we stop looking at 2022 and 2023, it’s absurd. 

When you spend 1st round picks like this:

2017: Jonathan Allen

2018: Daron Payne

2019: Montez Sweat

2020: Chase Young

And Ion was just extended to a multi year contract

It becomes a thing that you gotta think about. Planning ahead is important when you load up.

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

When you spend 1st round picks like this:

2017: Jonathan Allen

2018: Daron Payne

2019: Montez Sweat

2020: Chase Young

And Ion was just extended to a multi year contract

It becomes a thing that you gotta think about. Planning ahead is important when you load up.

Bollocks. It’s February 2020 and a new CBA or lockout is ahead. 

We have only Landon Collins and maybe Tress Way under contract looking that far ahead to 2023. 

Oh, and we have 63mil in cap space right now. 

Can we please just enjoy the here and now instead of worrying if we will have enough cap space in 3 years time :kickcan:

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd max out at 3 yrs 24 mil, 12 mil or so gtd.  If he was asking for more than that, it might be better to trade him, although his reported willingness to stay makes me believe he agrees to an extension in the 7 mil per yr range.  I don't think the skins would even offer much less than that.  3 yrs 15 mil seems a bit low.

I agree, 5mil per year isn’t going to do it— he is jus t1 year removed from a 13 sack season. The fact is, the other two expected pass rushers will be on rookie deals (Young and Sweat), so it’s not a crazy leap to commit more real dollars to Kerrigan over next 2 seasons with a team friendly out after year two available. 

Archived