Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Diggs is available for a fourth or lower, you risk the personality conflict.

Super temping if it's one of our 4ths. Especially our comp 4th. Or even a 5th.

In an era where people are talking about David Johnson getting traded WITH a 2nd or 3rd to clear cap space in Arizona, I wonder if there's a way to take on his remaining guarantees from Minnesota to lower the cost. I think trading him, per Over the Cap would only save them $5 million this year because they'd accelerate $9 million of his remaining bonus. I think it's dicey in the NFL when it comes to transferring guaranteed money so may not be much we can do there, but the savings of just $5 million for Minnesota on the surface makes it unlikely they would cut any deals to take the "cap hit" since it doesn't save them a ton, at least in 2020.

If you are talking about our 3rd round pick, then I'm gonna be a little less tempted. Because in my mind you can get a guy like Van Jefferson, Bryan Edwards type there who could step in and be pretty impactful but long-term possibly become a Diggs type player but on a 4 year $700k per year type of contract.

Of course, in the big picture, draft picks are far from guarantees, and $12 million a year to Diggs for 4 more years is an absolute bargain for a 26 year old WR.

Also, if you trade a 3rd for Stefon Diggs, you likely eliminate any chance of getting his brother, CB Trevon Diggs from Alabama, to join him (will likely need a 2nd for that anyway)

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listening to Donaldson who seems to be plugged in with Rivera somehow (she wasn't that plugged in previously).  She flat out said they are going to pursue Bradberry.  No ifs or buts. 

I know it seems like an obvious move with bradberry coming from Carolina, but the reason I'm not so sure is bc when did Rivera's teams ever sign a DB to a big contract.  On spotrac, I could only go back to 2016, and in that time frame, the biggest Panthers db signing was captain munnerlyn 4 years 17 mil.  And it's not bc they had a ton of talent already back there, most of their talent was front 7.  Bradberry is going to get a huge contract, and I'm not sure that the secondary is a high priority for Rivera, especially with so many questions at LB, not to mention offensive needs.  Now was that due to the GM making those calls, a tight cap where not many big deals could be given out, preference to focus on offense, etc?  Not sure.  If I had to bet Redskins vs the field, I'd take the field (mostly bc it's nice to bet on it being any one of the remaining 31 teams than one specific one).  I'm betting DB is going to have a more frugal approach, and that's why I would bet on skins strongly pursuing Tre Boston.  Perfect complement to LC and has been signed to affordable contracts considering his productivity, which seems right up Rivera's alley.

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I know it seems like an obvious move with bradberry coming from Carolina, but the reason I'm not so sure is bc when did Rivera's teams ever sign a DB to a big contract.  On spotrac, I could only go back to 2016, and in that time frame, the biggest Panthers db signing was captain munnerlyn 4 years 17 mil.  And it's not bc they had a ton of talent already back there, most of their talent was front 7.  Bradberry is going to get a huge contract, and I'm not sure that the secondary is a high priority for Rivera, especially with so many questions at LB, not to mention offensive needs.  Now was that due to the GM making those calls, a tight cap where not many big deals could be given out, preference to focus on offense, etc?  Not sure.  If I had to bet Redskins vs the field, I'd take the field, mostly bc it's nice to bet on it being any one of the remaining 31 teams than one specific one.  I'm betting DB is going to have a more frugal approach, and that's why I would bet on skins strongly pursuing Tre Boston.  Perfect complement to LC and has been signed to affordable contracts considering his productivity, which seems right up Rivera's alley.

Not sure though that it was driven by Gettleman as opposed to Rivera.  They weren't running a coach centric FO in Carolina like they are doing here.

A ton of smoke exists that they will chase Bradberry.  I posted a quote here from Rivera himself when he was in Carolina where he said he wanted Bradberry signed long term.

I'd add he'd have to be a fool IMO to draft Chase Young, and have 65 million or so in cap room (post Jordan Reed cut) and just ride with lower level players in the secondary and take chances with the secondary when he wouldn't need to.  You add Chase and put a couple of playmaking corners behind that D line -- the defense could be special. 

If they bring back Trent, Scherff and Flowers as some purport.  The only really needs IMO on offense would be TE and a receiver.  

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@KillBill26 well if the plan is 100% to trade down with Miami and draft Okudah at #5 then sure, I can understand not going after a high priced CB in free agency. But idk. There aren’t many routs to go to get the CB situation in a good spot unless it’s to draft one high or sign a high end FA. 

I know what you're saying, CB appears to be a huge need.  But over the past few years, the Panthers have started kevon Seymour and Daryl Worley at cb (according to ourlads).  I'm just not sure Rivera prioritizes CBs, especially ones that cost a lot of money.  This is the team that released Norman from the tag, didn't trade him, outright released him, bc they viewed not paying the DPOY the tag amount was better than paying him even if there was no compensation.  They could definitely use an upgrade, but don't be shocked if we don't have a big upgrade at CB.  We may even see Dunbar and Moreau as our starting CBs in 2020.  And with an improved front 7, those two with their cap hits may be the best approach, especially when you see bradberry getting 5 yrs 70 million type money.

I think the rule of thumb with regards to FA: if you have your qb on a rookie deal, then it’s ok to be buyers. If he’s earned a long term deal, then you gotta be more frugal. 

I would be all in on signing Or trading for 3 high end free agents. WR/TE/DB. 

Option 1:

Sign AJ Green to 3 year deal

Trade Kerrigan + 4th for OJ Howard

Sign Bradberry 

Option 2:

Trade Dunbar + 4th for Stefon Diggs

Sign Hunter Henry

Sign Bradberry

Also, I want to go on record that I’m not interested in Hooper. I want a bigger TE that has the ability to block and catch. This has been an Achilles heel for this team since Cooley retired. 

Hunter Henry would be a beast here if he stays healthy. He’s my top choice. OJ Howard could see his potential fulfilled with a different offense ( arians doesn’t use tight ends). Njoku is another possible Jordan Reed. 

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add he'd have to be a fool IMO to draft Chase Young, and have 65 million or so in cap room (post Jordan Reed cut) and just ride with lower level players in the secondary and take chances with the secondary when he wouldn't need to.  You add Chase and put a couple of playmaking corners behind that D line -- the defense could be special. 

If they bring back Trent, Scherff and Flowers as some purport.  The only really needs IMO on offense would be TE and a receiver. 

I'm not sure Rivera shares that philosophy of spending big to ensure you have top CBs behind the front 7.  The Panthers history reflects that.  As I mentioned in my previous post, there are other variables that prevent us from knowing that it's definitely due to Rivera himself deciding against needing better talent at CB.  And just to be clear, I'm not saying they definitely don't upgrade at CB, I'm just saying don't be surprised if they don't, and I don't agree that bradberry ( or any high priced cb) to the skins is a slam dunk.

And the three names you mentioned will get some decent coin.  Maybe Dunbar gets a new deal.  Are they proactive with other young guys ie Allen.  You have the rookie pool and at least 5 mil in cap space as a buffer you want to have for injuries.  Do they cut Smith and take the hit ( I'm not sure if they get hit with the full 10 mil increase with that insurance policy).  If you tack on a mega deal at CB, you may be doing it at the expense of an upgrade at TE, which may be viewed as a bigger need with a young QB.  So it's not saying Rivera doesn't like bradberry; it's saying Rivera might pass at bradberrys price if it means he can't sign Hooper / Henry or Robby Anderson etc.  65 mil is gonna dry up quicker than most realize, not to mention you have to make sure all these deals don't leave you with no room to maneuver in 2021 or 2022.

Again, I'm not saying they don't upgrade with a big money cb, but I don't see it as a slam dunk either as some make it out to be.  Standing pat or going to lower tiered free agents wouldn't surprise me.

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm not sure Rivera shares that philosophy of spending big to ensure you have top CBs behind the front 7.  The Panthers history reflects that.  As I mentioned in my previous post, there are other variables that prevent us from knowing that it's definitely due to Rivera himself deciding against needing better talent at CB.  And just to be clear, I'm not saying they definitely don't upgrade at CB, I'm just saying don't be surprised if they don't, and I don't agree that bradberry ( or any high priced cb) to the skins is a slam dunk.

Rivera though wasn't running the FO in Carolina.   And he's technically not running the defense here either though granted he will have some influence.  Not sure how much more explicit we can get than having Ron himself being quoted right before the beginning of the last season that he'd like to lock up Bradberry long term in Carolina. I posted that quote on this thread.   And Julie Donaldson who has gotten everything right about Rivera thus far flat out saying she knows for a fact they are going to chase Bradberry, and she said they aren't keeping that a secret.

We practically got a billboard cooking that they will chase Bradberry.  So count me as being surprised if they don't chase him. 

13 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Also, I want to go on record that I’m not interested in Hooper. I want a bigger TE that has the ability to block and catch. This has been an Achilles heel for this team since Cooley retired. 

Hunter Henry would be a beast here if he stays healthy. He’s my top choice. OJ Howard could see his potential fulfilled with a different offense ( arians doesn’t use tight ends). Njoku is another possible Jordan Reed. 

I have been meaning to post about Hunter henry but haven't gotten around to it.

I am hoping they go after him over Hooper.  I feel Hooper has already shown his ceiling, and I don't think he will replicate that success going from Atlanta's explosive offense to ours.  So we would be overpaying him for production I doubt he can match for us.

Henry gets knocked bc of his durability.  Torn acl, lacerated kidney, and a tibia plateau fracture.  These are freak injuries, seem to be just bad luck.  They are not lingering soft tissue stuff or a string of concussions.  With a little better luck, he will be out on the field a lot more.  Maybe the injury history could help us get him at a more reasonable contract.

The big reason I love Henry is his blocking.  He is one of the better blocking TEs in the league, and considering his receiving skills, he is one of the few double threat tight ends in the NFL.  imagine not having your TE telegraph the play! 

Henry has a chance to help this offense and Haskins more than Hooper imo.  Go get him Ron!!

If you could guarantee me between Hooper and Henry that they’d start at least 14 games a season on their contract then I’d take Henry over Hooper in a heartbeat. Dudes got Kelce upside if he’s healthy. I like Hooper too but he’s not Henry

FWIW Spotrac projects Hooper for $9.9 million APY on a 5 year $49.5 million deal. Henry is $8.9m APY on a 4 year $35.6m deal. Again guaranteed health I take Henry

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

CBA talks heating up too. Would be good to get that resolved well before free agency.

Yes, but I read something very interesting yesterday. IF the CBA new deal is signed before March 18th, then teams will not be able to use the Franchise tag this year on a player. That's going to be huge obviously with Scherff and also with Dallas and Dak Prescott. Something to keep an eye on. 

4 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Yes, but I read something very interesting yesterday. IF the CBA new deal is signed before March 18th, then teams will not be able to use the Franchise tag this year on a player. That's going to be huge obviously with Scherff and also with Dallas and Dak Prescott. Something to keep an eye on. 

I'm not sure that's accurate.  I know that if there's no new CBA they get to use both the franchise and transition tags, so if there is one they'd be back to only using one

How can the guy remain resolute in his desire to be released or traded when he walked back his resolute stance a day after he said it?

It should read, "Dunbar continues to ride a roller coaster of emotions as he now wants to be traded or released again."

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39616/extending-ryan-kerrigan-other-moves-could-give-redskins-big-cap-space

Quinton Dunbar, cornerback

2019 stats: He led the Redskins with four interceptions in 11 games.

2020 cap hit: $4.42M | Dead money if cut: $1.0M | Cap savings: $3.42M

Dunbar isn't happy that he has no guaranteed money this season and threatened to sit out the voluntary spring workouts. He also requested a trade or to be released if the Redskins did not view him as a long-term solution at cornerback. Dunbar later walked that back, but he would like a new deal. One source close to him said there would be no negotiations once training camp begins. One talent evaluator felt Dunbar could be worth a third- or fourth-round pick in a trade. His length and speed -- and the fact he's only 27 -- make him a desirable cornerback. He's been solid for Washington, but has missed a combined 14 games the past two seasons -- his first two as a full-time starter -- which could limit his value or force him to take a contract with escalator clauses to protect the team in case he gets hurt again.

Archived