Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

The talk of cap space for next year got me thinking.  Throwing some numbers out there (lot of guesswork here):

Projected cap space in 2021 - 160mil.  This includes Alex Smith and Jordan Reed’s cap hits.  Removing them puts us around 183mil in cap space.  

Re-sign Scherff - 15/per year

Re-sign Flowers - 8/per

Extend Williams - 14/per

Extend Dunbar - 10/per

Extend Kerrigan - 8/per

Extend Allen - 10/per

Extend Hopkins - 4/per

Extend Roullier - 8/per (this one might be the most questionable...)

Sign:

Boston or Phillips - 5-8/per

Olsen/Hooper - 6 or 10/per

Bradberry - 12/per

That leaves off re-signing notables like Ryan Anderson, Reuben Foster, Fabian Moreau, Monte Nicholson.  
Some of the numbers are almost certainly off by a a bit, but I think in the ballpark.  
Doesn’t include linebacker and receiver, two spots I think we’ll target.  

Totals out to 100-105mil.  Leaves 55-60 in (projected) cap space, but that jumps to 78-83 sans Smith/Reed.

Doesn’t include receiver and linebacker additions, and doesn’t address possible 2021 extensions (Payne, Settle, Steve Sims, SDH, Guice, Christian, and Apke).  

That 78-83, minus potential extensions and 3 rookie classes (2020-2022), should still leave us with a decent bit of space in 2022, though maybe not a whole lot.

OTOH, many of the extensions, re-signs, and signings likely come off the books after 2022, freeing up significant space.  

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Spotrac has Perriman projected as a $10-11 million APY contract. These are exactly the type of guys Allen would sign that I want to avoid. I’m done with the overachieving guys who you have to pay up for. I know Perriman is a former 1st rounder with pedigree. But I am out on any WR costing between $6 and $15 million per year unless named Aj Green. 

I agree with you generally but wide receiver is a unique position. Sometimes it takes a few years for a guy to blossom. Perriman could be one of those guys. He was super effective the 2nd half last year w Tampa. 

Reading some articles, it will be an interesting free agency period. There are a handful of teams with a lot of cap space. Right now there’s 14 teams with $50million or more in cap space. 

That means the top and even average guys are gonna be overpaid and we may have to pay a bit more to lure the Bradberrys and Olsens of the world to come to DC. If Ron and folks are smart they will need to clear up more space before FA and I would prefer they lock up the guys they want to keep so the cap is manageable. 

Say what you want about Allen but when they targeted a player they got him with the help of Dan. Landon Collins is a perfect example. Sure we gave him more money than anyone else but it will be interesting to see how Ron does in this aspect since he never did it before. He will need to do a good job of selling him and the team to lure some of these guys at a reasonable price tag. 

7 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Say what you want about Allen but when they targeted a player they got him with the help of Dan. Landon Collins is a perfect example. Sure we gave him more money than anyone else but it will be interesting to see how Ron does in this aspect since he never did it before. He will need to do a good job of selling him and the team to lure some of these guys at a reasonable price tag. 

Allen was good at overpaying in trades, they wound't be denied in any bidding war that involved draft picks -- Jammal Brown, McNabb, Alex Smith, RG3 -- they would offer whatever it takes to outbid.

As for FA though they rarely swung for the fences under Bruce.   Dan would with Vinny.  Collins was one of the exceptions in the Bruce era.  And based on the narrative that came out it felt like Dan took over that one himself. 

Otherwise Norman and D. Jax had unique circumstances since it happened really after the FA period where the competition wasn't stiff for either one.  I recall Bruce in an interview the year after even mentioning that there would be a possibility of a signing like that again -- forgot how he expressed but it felt like he thought that special circumstances like those would keep coming around.  In the end it really didn't. 

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Voice_of_Reason I wonder if the big move at WR is actually a trade. How or who I am not sure. Stefon Diggs comes to mind. I did think the Dunbar for Diggs trade thrown out there made some sense. Hopefully any trade would be player for player and someone like Kerrigan Moses or Dunbar. 

Yeah I could see a trade, but like you, I’m not sure what it looks like.  They are somewhat limited in draft picks without the second round pick. 

Clearly if they choose to move on from Trent or Kerrigan, you could bring back a good asset. I don’t think Dunny is enough for a starting WR.  

Not having the 2nd makes a trade more interesting unless it involves a player.  

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Projected cap space in 2021 - 160mil.  This includes Alex Smith and Jordan Reed’s cap hits.  Removing them puts us around 183mil in cap space.

Re-sign Scherff - 15/per year

Re-sign Flowers - 8/per

Extend Williams - 14/per

Extend Allen - 10/per

Extend Roullier - 8/per

2021 is actually $99 million right now and would become $124 million  by cutting Smith and Moses next year and Reed this year. And that would actually drop to about $114 million as soon as this draft takes place and those guys go on the rolls out to 2023. Not sure where you got 160/183 but I’m using OverTheCap calculator to get my 99/124 numbers. 

As for thE numbers you threw out ... Scherff and Flowers seem close. But Trent likely needs 16 to extend. Jon Allen seems like a $10-12 guy but depends on this year. If he hits the market he could get 12-15 in potential

which might make it hard for us to extend him.

Roullier? Idk man. He seems okay but very replacement level. No way I’d pay him that much especially when in your scenario I’d already have 37m APY invested in 3/5 of my OL. RT and OC would need of be on rookie deals.

8 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I agree with you generally but wide receiver is a unique position. Sometimes it takes a few years for a guy to blossom. Perriman could be one of those guys. He was super effective the 2nd half last year w Tampa. 

I would be very wary of him.  He was playing in a chuck it down the field offense w/ a ridiculous amount of talent at skill positions.  I think a lot of pedestrian receivers would put up stats in that spot.

Guys in the XFL who could be worth a flier to take a look at in camp: Norman Spruce, Cameron Artis-Payne. 

Neither are big fixes, for sure. And Spruce and Sims both play slot roles, but that could be helpful in a doubles set. He could stick as a slot guy. 

They'd be role player types, for sure. But for depth reasons it would be interesting to see what they bring to the table. 

FREE AGENTS READY TO CASH IN

Every year there are a few free agents off the radar who wind up making headlines: That guy got what?!? So to get you ready for what’s ahead in free agency, since we sort of exhausted the quarterback topic in the Mailbag and GamePlan last week, I figured I’d give you a list of guys who teams expect to get rich—even if you might not expect it.

Robby Anderson, WR, Jets: He’s still just 26, and went for 779 yards and five touchdowns on 52 catches last year, despite the team, and its quarterback situation, being uneven early in the season. Anderson’s red flags are well-documented, but he’s got size, and he can run, and so someone will roll the dice on the belief they can unlock the world of talent that’s here.

De’Vondre Campbell, LB, Falcons: The 26-year-old was an integral part of a Super Bowl defense in 2016, playing the K.J. Wright role in Atlanta’s Seattle scheme. Campbell’s been overshadowed by draft classmate Deion Jones over the last four years, but he’s been steady, and he finished 2019 with a career-high 129 tackles. The Falcons’ cap situation will make it impossible for them to bring him back, which could be someone else’s gain.

Graham Glasgow, G/C, Lions: He’s started 47 of 48 games the last three years, and has extensive experience at both center and guard. Is he Maurkice Pouncey or Zach Martin? No. But guys like that don’t make it to the market, and someone with money allocated for Joe Thuney or Brandon Schreff will strike out, and Glasgow will make a good fallback option. Remember this, too: Free-agent offensive linemen always get paid.

Javon Hargrave, NT, Steelers: A starter since going in the third round in 2016, Hargrave has steadily improved and was a big part of Pittsburgh’s rebirth on defense this year. He’s registered 10.5 sacks over the last two years, a big number given his role in the Steelers’ 3–4, and he should be well-positioned to hit the market, with teams thinking he’ll grow with increased opportunity after playing in the shadow of Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt.

Shelby Harris, DT, Broncos: A seventh-round pick in 2014, Harris spent his first three seasons on the fringes of the league—on and off active rosters and practice squads. He found a home in Denver in 2017 and has flourished since. He won’t get what Hargrave or David Onyemata will. But he won’t be far off.

Nick Kwiatkoski, LB, Bears: Here’s the guy who’d never really gotten the chance to be a full-time starter, then did… at just the right time. The fourth-year former fourth-round pick started Chicago’s final seven games and showed that he can play the middle for someone, and he could get paid after guys like Cory Littleton and Joe Schobert come off the board. And maybe that someone will be his old coordinator, Vic Fangio in Denver.

Cory Littleton, LB, Rams: You need to protect him a little bit—he’s not the most stout inside linebacker—but Littleton is a playmaker through and through. Last year, he had 134 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, nine passes defensed and two picks. In 2018, he had four sacks, 13 passes defensed and three picks, plus a touchdown and a safety. And Littleton’s been one of the NFL’s best special teamers to boot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/17/nick-saban-tua-tagovailoa-free-agency-philip-rivers-joe-burrow?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Thanks @Skinsinparadise for posting the article.

First, I'm confused, Ron was at a Panther's charity event on Saturday?  That seems weird. Probably a previous engagement, but just seems kinda weird. Whatever, that's for another thread.

Second, Reed is still in the concussion protocol, which means he did not pass his exit physical.  Which means I don't think he can be outright released.  Somebody more familiar with the CBA rules needs to verify that, but I'm pretty sure this was one of the first things the union addressed when it started collective bargaining: you can't be released for being injured.   

If that's the case, this is going to be very interesting to watch.  I'm sure there are other rules which protect the team so a player can't just camp out on IR indefinitely.  However, I have no idea what those rules are.  

My guess is Reed wants 2 things: 1. He would like to play again, because contrary to popular belief, he's a tough SOB and believes he can.  I would advise against it because of long term health concerns, but that's his call to make.  2. He certainly wants to maximize his current contract. If he retires, he forfeits money he could earn.  So I doubt he will retire. 

The way I see it is the following:

1. Reed is not cleared before March 18th, the team reaches an injury settlement with him sometime before March 18th, and they pay him some money, but take some cap savings, and both move on.  I see this as pretty likely, but certainly not a slam dunk. (It's also kindof what I would like to see happen)

2. Reed is cleared before March 18th, and released.  This would be massively cold blooded, but would also be the right move in that scenario.  

3. Reed refuses the injury settlement, and the team can't cut him until he's cleared.  He's eventually cleared at some point down the road, and is released. (Kindof like #2 above, but just after March 18th.  The question here is timing and when they get the cap savings.  Since we're not talking about a cap hit, but a savings, I think they get the savings whenever they cut him as long as it's before the first game of the season, when I believe his contract is fully vested because of his veteran status.  (I could be making that up.) The issue with this is you want the cap savings before March 18th because that's when the FA period begins.  

4. They do nothing.  Reed eventually gets cleared, and they keep him on the roster.  This to me seems the most unlikely.  

I put those in the order of likelihood in my eyes.  I think Ron wants the $8m more than he wants Reed.  

Also, just because Ron has met with Olsen, even if he signs here, I'm sure that won't end the search for a TE.  I doubt he comes here, I would bet he will end up in Seattle with a contender if they want him.  But in the event he does sign, I don't think it closes the door on another FA TE, or drafting a TE.  It just gives them a security blanket knowing they have somebody who knows the system and can provide some production, so the cupboard  isn't completely bare. 

Pretty sure he was selling all of his old Panthers gear and gave the profits to the local Humane Society on Saturday.  What a great way to purge all of your old items instead of just throwing them away.  The money he made went to a fantastic cause, the building of a new humane society building.  

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Robby Anderson, WR, Jets: He’s still just 26, and went for 779 yards and five touchdowns on 52 catches last year, despite the team, and its quarterback situation, being uneven early in the season. Anderson’s red flags are well-documented, but he’s got size, and he can run, and so someone will roll the dice on the belief they can unlock the world of talent that’s here.

The more I read about this guy, the more he seems like a Paul Richardson clone.  If the team wants to really add a #1A WR accross from McLaurin, signing Anderson doesn't seem like accomplishes that goal.  He might develop into that, but it's not certain.  And I think because he's young, fast and athletic, somebody is going to overpay for his production.

I would be more included to sign AJ Green to a shorter term contract (assuming the medical checks out) and then draft a few guys to see if anybody pops.  Because assuming he's healthy, Green has good speed and runs good routes.  If you had skill positions of AJ Green, McLaurin, Simms, Olsen and Guice/Love (assuming either can stay healthy for more than 1 game), that's not bad as a base set of guys.  Clearly you'd like to get more speed at TE, (see post above), but if you're a defense, you'd have to pay attention to everybody because all of them can hurt you if you just roll coverage to one side or another.  It's not the KC Chiefs skill position group or anything like that, but it would be closer to 10-15 ranking in skill position groupings than 25-32.  

I get the feeling Anderson is one of those guys who is going to benefit because of timing.  Good measurable, you can blame the QB situation with the Jets for some of the lack of production, and there aren't a lot of other options, so he becomes more attractive.  

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to sign a FA WR. I'd rather sign 2 TEs and draft/run with the WRs already on the roster. If Harmon or other Sims can't produce as #2s, maybe we look for week 6 guys if it's looking like we'll see the playoffs.

I don't want two TEs because I really feel that Hentges can be something for us. Maybe not a top 5-10 TE. Maybe not even top 16. But a good one.

But we need a tight end. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't want two TEs because I really feel that Hentges can be something for us. Maybe not a top 5-10 TE. Maybe not even top 16. But a good one.

But we need a tight end. 

I'm great with him being TE3. Hooper is a receiver. Olsen a traditional TE. I'm basically advocating for Hooper over Green or Cooper I suppose.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don’t understand the infatuation with AJ Green. He’ll almost definitely underperform the contract he receives due to his inability to stay healthy. 

Just as baffling as the Robby Anderson stuff. Pass on both.

Archived