Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

12 hours ago, MartinC said:

That’s a reasoned response - but not sure how it fits into the team culture Ron wants to build. But you are right a pick would have to be better than a 3rd to even pick up the phone.

I said this on Twitter and got blasted.  He'll net a 3rd rd comp pick, if you want QD you need to come with at least a top end 3rd/bottom 2nd to start talks.  He's young, played at a high level when on the field(and I think enough teams around the league would contribute that to our lackluster training staff that many players have complained about), and just coming into his prime having had to learn a new position.

If we can't get a second I think you have to hold onto him, get your use out of him this year and cut ties.  That at least for the moment pushes your "cb can" down the road a bit when we have our full stock of draft picks.  It's also worth noting he's probably also nervous considering the CBA holdout looming over the NFL.

17 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just don't understand how hard it is to make 53+ phone calls when you get a new job as a HC. How hard is that? Just reach out and try to touch base with each player. Then do your Feb 10th assessment thing. I feel the same way about the lack of contact with Trent Williams so far. That should be a top-5 phone call once the job is official. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I'll answer as if you're not.

Just that number 53 is a large one in itself. But then you have to deal with people not answering, being on vacation, waiting for callbacks, etc. Plus there is the whole idea of making a call and having nothing to say. Like, at his intro press conference he shook hands with a bunch of guys, lets say about 25 of them. But there's not much more he can say because other than watching the games I'm not sure how much film he's disected just yet on them so he can't really tell who his core guys are just yet. 

Had some fun with this one. I like doing them every week or so depending on the flavor of the rumors.

I used FanSpeak Off-Season GM. The only "Hiccup" is they didn't have Olsen as an option as a FA, so I couldn't target him. But wanted to see what an "aggressive but realistic" off-season could look like. FWIW, I had to "Cut" Trent, Kerrigan and Dunbar to get to the next option which was to

Cut:

-          Norman

-          Reed

Re-Structure:

-          Trent Williams: 3 Years, $48 million, $35 million guaranteed

-          Ryan Kerrigan: 3 years, $24 million, $12 million guaranteed

-          Quinton Dunbar: 4 years, $20 million, $12 million guaranteed

Re-Sign:

-          Brandon Scherff: 5 Years, $75 million, $40 million guaranteed

-          Ereck Flowers: 4 years, $27 million, $15 million guaranteed

Cap Space with Standard Deal Structure going into FA: $57.8 million

Cap Spae Front-Loaded/Even Distribution: $43.8 million

Free-Agency:

-          James Bradberry: 5 years, $60 million, $30 million guaranteed

-          Tre Boston: 3 years, $21 million, $10 million guaranteed

-          Austin Hooper: 5 years, $55 million, $28 million guaranteed

-          A.J. Klein: 4 years, $24 million, $12 million guaranteed

Standard Deal Structure Cap Remaining after FA: $34 million (as reflected in FanSpeak)

Front-Loaded Deal Structure after FA: $12 million

Holes filled:

-          LT, LG, RG, CB1, CB2, TE, LB, FS

Holes remaining:

-          DE, WR, C

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Had some fun with this one. I like doing them every week or so depending on the flavor of the rumors.

I used FanSpeak Off-Season GM. The only "Hiccup" is they didn't have Olsen as an option as a FA, so I couldn't target him. But wanted to see what an "aggressive but realistic" off-season could look like. FWIW, I had to "Cut" Trent, Kerrigan and Dunbar to get to the next option which was to

Cut:

-          Norman

-          Reed

Re-Structure:

-          Trent Williams: 3 Years, $48 million, $35 million guaranteed

-          Ryan Kerrigan: 3 years, $24 million, $12 million guaranteed

-          Quinton Dunbar: 4 years, $20 million, $12 million guaranteed

Re-Sign:

-          Brandon Scherff: 5 Years, $75 million, $40 million guaranteed

-          Ereck Flowers: 4 years, $27 million, $15 million guaranteed

Cap Space with Standard Deal Structure going into FA: $57.8 million

Cap Spae Front-Loaded/Even Distribution: $43.8 million

Free-Agency:

-          James Bradberry: 5 years, $60 million, $30 million guaranteed

-          Tre Boston: 3 years, $21 million, $10 million guaranteed

-          Austin Hooper: 5 years, $55 million, $28 million guaranteed

-          A.J. Klein: 4 years, $24 million, $12 million guaranteed

Standard Deal Structure Cap Remaining after FA: $34 million (as reflected in FanSpeak)

Front-Loaded Deal Structure after FA: $12 million

Holes filled:

-          LT, LG, RG, CB1, CB2, TE, LB, FS

Holes remaining:

-          DE, WR, C

Well done....use the draft to add the rest and maybe some depth. One question I have is with Boston....didn't I read where he has been on one year deals the past few years? I wonder why that is....knowing that would it be wise to give him 3 years?

I like how you locked up the offensive line....but I'd also like to sign Conklin from the Titans to be the right tackle, or is Klein a tackle?

25 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Dunbar is better than Bradbury. We aren’t signing him for 5 million a year. That’s crazy talk. 

I actually inflated it. FanSpeaks system isn’t perfect, and it had Dunbar accepting 4 million 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I like how you locked up the offensive line....but I'd also like to sign Conklin from the Titans to be the right tackle, or is Klein a tackle?

Conklin is projected per Spotrac to command $12-15 million APY. I’d love to replace Moses with Conklin but the $$ just isn’t there for it. 

AJ Klein is a MLB who has ties to Rivera (he may have drafted him in CAR) ... 29 and a Saint. He’s solid. Good veteran presence.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Dunbar is better than Bradbury. We aren’t signing him for 5 million a year. That’s crazy talk. 

Bradbury said he wants to be paid like a top corner, while he doesn't belong in that category. His number one concern is to fill up his pockets :stop:

The Bradberry situation, plus the Boston one to a lesser extent, are interesting. 

Both are great fits and also fill needs. There is the obvious connection to Rivers and personally I’d take both and I hope we do. 

The slight twist on that being im pretty sure Rivera has a rep’ for drafting a lot of DB’s whilst not being keen to give DB’s big contracts...

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The Bradberry situation, plus the Boston one to a lesser extent, are interesting. 

Both are great fits and also fill needs. There is the obvious connection to Rivers and personally I’d take both and I hope we do. 

The slight twist on that being im pretty sure Rivera has a rep’ for drafting a lot of DB’s whilst not being keen to give DB’s big contracts...

That rep was Gettleman.

I’ve come to the conclusion, if a corner isn’t a 4.3 to 4.4 elite fast twitch guy, I want no part in signing that individual to an elite contract. The elite trait corners can transition to any scheme or situation and be impactful, the others require things around them to be aligned. 

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not long ago the Jags were lauded in here. Hot damn, the NFL is tough, especially without an elite QB.

Jags have been mostly perennials losers with a rare uptick season just like us (comparing to Dan's tenure). Only difference is their version of a rare uptick has been a higher uptick than our version of an uptick.  And their bad has arguably been worse.  8 out of the last 9 seasons with double digit loses. 

The Jags, Redskins, Browns, Lions -- maybe i am forgetting a team have had a much unkinder run in the last two decades than the standard NFL franchise.  Though the Jags did have a relatively good start.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jags have been mostly perennials losers with a rare uptick season just like us (comparing to Dan's tenure). Only difference is their version of a rare uptick has been a higher uptick than our version of an uptick.  And their bad has arguably been worse.  8 out of the last 9 seasons with double digit loses. 

The Jags, Redskins, Browns, Lions -- maybe i am forgetting a team have had a much unkinder run in the last two decades than the standard NFL franchise.  Though the Jags did have a relatively good start.

About 15 more franchises you could add to being overall poor, below average to average. It’s tough, the Jags did it “the right way” and are in shambles. Hey, they did have the one great run. 

45 minutes ago, wit33 said:

About 15 more franchises you could add to being overall poor, below average to average. It’s tough, the Jags did it “the right way” and are in shambles. Hey, they did have the one great run. 

Statistically speaking we've been if I recall one of the top 5 worst franchises in the league during Dan's era.  If I recall for the last 10 years we are on the edge of the worst 5.  I don't recall if the Jags were in the top 5 worst overall, I got to dig up the article that showed those stats.   

While I agree with you nothing beats having an "elite" QB.  There have been plenty of teams with "good" Qbs who weren't bottom dwellers.    the bottom dwellers like the Redskins earned it by getting multiple things wrong not just QB.  Fortunately, those decision makers aren't here anymore sans Dan.  So I got some optimism looking forward.

As for the Jag's doing it the "right way" I don't recall a ton of complements headed their way aside from some liking going for Calais Campbell in FA over McClain and McGee during an off season and last year them getting picks for Ramsey.  As for getting picks for Ramsey how that fares has yet to unfold.  The only other Jags are the model type of conversation that I can recall stemmed on the discussion of can you win a SB with a great defense without a good QB?  They were the model of that but only for one season.

On another note, surprised that PFF is piling on to Vegas' pessimism about this roster heading into next season.    They ranked us 7th among the 8th teams with the best chance to rebound from last season -- meaning they don't think we rebound.  Personally, I think this team could end up sneaky good if Haskins develops. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-eight-last-place-teams-chances-to-go-worst-to-first

7. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Some books have the Redskins with the longest Super Bowl odds in the NFL next season. There just isn’t a whole lot of upside with this roster as it is currently constructed. That gets even shakier when a player like Quinton Dunbar, the league’s second-highest graded cornerback, publicly demands a release or trade. Especially considering star left tackle Trent Williams just sat out a season rather than return and play for the Redskins.

Dwayne Haskins did some things well in his rookie season, but his forecast is the worst of the group of Murray, Minshew and Daniel Jones moving forward. That introduces some uncertainty next season to a team that doesn’t have a super talented roster to begin with. The NFC East isn’t the strongest division out there, but we expect the Dallas Cowboys to improve next season, and it’s hard to see a scenario where the Redskins overtake them and the Philadelphia Eagles to climb into the top spot.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Statistically speaking we've been if I recall one of the top 5 worst franchises in the league during Dan's era.  If I recall for the last 10 years we are on the edge of the worst 5.  I don't recall if the Jags were in the top 5 worst overall, I got to dig up the article that showed those stats.   

Just spit balling, but I imagine team #5 isn’t all that different from team 15-20. No evidence to back this up lol

The no 11 win season or a deep playoff run are great arguments though. 

While I agree with you nothing beats having an "elite" QB.  There have been plenty of teams with "good" Qbs who weren't bottom dwellers.    the bottom dwellers like the Redskins earned it by getting multiple things wrong not just QB.  Fortunately, those decision makers aren't here anymore sans Dan.  So I got some optimism looking forward.

I’m with you.

I 100% value culture above anything and love that Rivera values culture to the extreme. Fantastic Culture can circumvent needing an elite QB, but still supremely difficult to remain good to great over a period of time without elite play from the QB (I know you agree). 

The only other Jags are the model type of conversation that I can recall stemmed on the discussion of can you win a SB with a great defense without a good QB?  They were the model of that but only for one season.

Not sure what other model you can have if you don’t have an elite QB. The Jags were mentioned as having a good FO structure in here. Just wild how quickly they fell from being the young up and coming team that was destined to have a 2-3 year window of great success. Nope! Lol... the NFL for ya. 

On another note, surprised that PFF is piling on to Vegas' pessimism about this roster heading into next season.    They ranked us 7th among the 8th teams with the best chance to rebound from last season -- meaning they don't think we rebound.  Personally, I think this team could end up sneaky good if Haskins develops. 

I think it’s less about the roster and more to do with the uncertainty surrounding Haskins. 

To be honest, from a laymen view, there’s an argument for 7 of those teams to be #1 or #7. Bengals clearly seem to be #8. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I’m with you.

I 100% value culture above anything and love that Rivera values culture to the extreme. Fantastic Culture can circumvent needing an elite QB, but still supremely difficult to remain good to great over a period of time without elite play from the QB (I know you agree). 

Yep, definitely agree.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Not sure what other model you can have if you don’t have an elite QB. The Jags were mentioned as having a good FO structure in here. Just wild how quickly they fell from being the young up and coming team that was destined to have a 2-3 year window of great success. Nope! Lol... the NFL for ya. 

OK, maybe I am forgetting, then.  It strikes me as an odd choice to specifically laud their FO structure.   They don't have a big name GM for starters.   The ones that i recall touted FOs on the Bruce thread were typically ones with big name GMs. Jaguars have been mostly losers, 8 out of the last 9 seasons with double digit loses is intense.

I did like the Calais Campbell signing, going for the big time player in FA versus the scrub C list players we often shopped for in FA especially at DT.   So I think for one year some of us admired their FA approach because they built a good defense fast.   But otherwise Jags to me are somewhat "meh".   i think the Colts is probably the best example of a team doing it the right way from the stand point of adding picks and having a top flight guy in charge -- but are still limited with no Andrew Luck.  The Browns looked good for a season but then Mayfield regressed.  Like you say and I agree, you need the QB otherwise just young talent alone doesn't do it. 

So yeah I am with you that the QB is #1 and it certainly helps to do other things right at the same time.  It's sort of like going (this point isn't directed at you) yeah these 7 people ate their broccoli for 20 years and ended up living to 100.  That worked.   But 3 people did the same thing and a year later died from a heart attack --- so ha, to all those who touted broccoli!   

My point is all you can do is play the odds, it doesn't guarantee anything.  You can do it all perfectly and fail or you can do it mostly wrong but get lucky and succeed.  There are anomalies to everything.  I am one of the few Dan critics who actually believe he can get lucky and strike gold even sans someone like Rivera. 

The other thing is other variables impinge.  We can't look at a FO like a science experiment where we can just easily isolate variables and then say its apples to apples to another FO.   For example you can eat the broccoli but at the same time drink 6 beers a day and its just not the same as the others who ate the broccoli more purely, etc.   So the anomalies don't disprove a point.  They are just friendly reminders that all you can do is play the odds and hope for the best.

That's sort of my hope with Rivera.  I don't think any coach has a magic wand.  But if you do things right, the odds increase that you have some success.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I think it’s less about the roster and more to do with the uncertainty surrounding Haskins. 

To be honest, from a laymen view, there’s an argument for 7 of those teams to be #1 or #7. Bengals clearly seem to be #8. 

I agree this is mostly what's likely driving it.    I also think some of the younger talent is below the radar like a S. Sims type, etc. 

Jags were exactly why our success in early 2018 made me nervous. Very few coaches since I've been watching football seriously (1972) have won consistently without an above average QB. While a strong defense and a top running game can lead you have a good spot season, reliance on those things can cover a lot of other issues, cheap scoring opportunities and give you greater problem with small margins (wins very easily become losses while losses don't very easily become wins).  Further, such structures are harder to maintain these days. At least 3 significantly different Patriot teams were built around Tom Brady, Pittsburgh has usually been at least sniffing the playoffs since Ben came to town, KC has gotten to two straight AFC championship with Mahomes (and several more with Smith before that) and Wilson is now looking like a central part for a new Seattle team (they missed winning their division by 1 yard this year and really have not been below average since Wilson's been there).  Even though he was not elite and other parts of the team were great (defense and coaching for instance), during all but his last year, Shaub's Texans were at least sniffing the playoffs every year.

Archived