Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows the details but on its surface Dunbar seems to be overreacting.  Seems like the previous regime was negotiating an extension and the current one wanted to take time to evaluate the roster before making the next move with every player -- and either Dunbar doesn't have the patience for that or his agent is making a move to create some urgency.

I like Rivera and most of what I've seen so far.  My only minor criticism is he's certainly taking his time to evaluate before pushing anything - hasn't contact Trent yet, etc.   

Yep - this might just be a warning shot from his agent.

I do think though Rivera is taking the right approach. It's a logical process - complete your roster assessment and then reach out to players you want to extend or who wil part of your core and also to players who you plan to release.

20 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just don't understand how hard it is to make 53+ phone calls when you get a new job as a HC. How hard is that? Just reach out and try to touch base with each player. Then do your Feb 10th assessment thing. I feel the same way about the lack of contact with Trent Williams so far. That should be a top-5 phone call once the job is official. 

What do you say that's meaningful before you do the assessments? What do you say to someone like say Josh Norman when he asks am I part of your plans - "well sorry I can't say yet because we haven't completed the roster evaluation" wash rinse repeat 50 odd times.

It's a process - players and especially their agents should know that.

Un related to the quoted post this quote below from Dunbar makes zero sense. They know him as well as every other coaching staff and front office in the league. As for commit long term I totally get that - and once Rivera's staff do the film review and grade him I'd think they would want to do that here.

“I don’t know them and they don’t know me. It is what it is.”

"Just spoke with Quinton Dunbar. He has requested a trade from the Redskins. “I don’t know them and they don’t know me. It is what it is.” Wants to play for a team that will commit long-term."

I guess we don't know him. Thought he was a team player. Looks like he's just another greedy flash in the pan. I'm tired of seeing all these disgruntled players refusing to play out their contracts because of no more guarantees. Guarantees are collected contingent on you playing out the duration of your contract. I have absolutely no patience for this kind of greed anymore. 

Yeah, trade him. This just speeds up and jumpstarts an inevitable roster turnover. Saw someone saw trade him for Slay. Another said you may get a 2nd or 3rd for him. 

Would be interesting if this set a tone and kickstarted a full roster overhaul. Trade Trent for a Late 1st or 2nd.  Trade Dunbar for a 2 or 3. Trade Kerrigan for a 4th. Draft their replacements with those picks and go into FA moving on from Kerrigan Reed Trent Dunbar and Norman and have $86 million in FA and picks in 1/2/3/3/4/4/4/5/7/7 in the draft. 

I think just by virtue of Rivera being so big on culture, Dunbar just killed any chance he had of re-signing here.  He's not going to make one of his first moves as the functional head of this organization rewarding this kind of arrogance and entitlement.   He's not getting cut, and I doubt he gets traded.  His cap his is low enough for us to call his bluff and let him sit out if he dares.

ASHBURN, Va., -- Washington Redskins starting corner Quinton Dunbar, dissatisfied with his contract, has requested to be traded or released, a source told ESPN Monday night.

Dunbar has one year left on his contract, with a base salary of $3.25 million -- none of which is guaranteed. He also has a roster bonus worth up to $250,000. Dunbar had talked with the previous administration about an extension, but a source said there had been no contact with the Redskins since Ron Rivera was hired after the season.

If the Redskins don't honor his request, and no extension is signed before training camp, the source said that Dunbar would play out his final season and sign elsewhere.

Dunbar won't participate in the spring OTA workouts, the source confirmed. His desire to skip those voluntary sessions as first reported by NBC Sports Washington. Dunbar's contract plus Reuben Foster's injury played into that decision. Foster tore multiple ligaments and suffered nerve damage on the first day of OTA work last spring. There's still uncertainty about when Foster will return.

Dunbar spoke with a member of the Redskins' administration Monday evening.

For Dunbar, seeing that injury and knowing his lack of guaranteed money fueled his desire to seek a contract that provided security.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28674571/unhappy-deal-quinton-dunbar-asks-redskins-release-trade-him

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the Redskins don't honor his request, and no extension is signed before training camp, the source said that Dunbar would play out his final season and sign elsewhere.

So... I know people will obsess over this situation for the next few days, but given the above, is this really even a big deal?  Let the 28 year-old play out the last year of his deal and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2022 unless you can get better compensation in a trade this offseason.  Simple.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

So... I know people will obsess over this situation for the next few days, but given the above, is this really even news?  Let the 28 year old play out the last year of his deal and get a 3rd round comp pick unless you can get better compensation in a trade this offseason.  Simple.

Do not want this malcontent's nasty energy around the team, period. Cut him post haste and move on. He is not good enough to be a ongoing story. 

This sounds like a lot of hubbub about nothing.  Agents pull this stuff all the time to get their agents more attention.  If he is part of Ron's plan then he will get extended and get some guaranteed cash; if not, he'll get traded or they'll let him play out the year and walk.  No news here.

25 minutes ago, evmiii said:

This sounds like a lot of hubbub about nothing.  Agents pull this stuff all the time to get their agents more attention.  If he is part of Ron's plan then he will get extended and get some guaranteed cash; if not, he'll get traded or they'll let him play out the year and walk.  No news here.

Don't know yet truly, but if I were to venture a guess, Ron seems like the absolutely wrong person to play this game with. Not the kind of core Redskin he wants to build around. 

30 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So... I know people will obsess over this situation for the next few days, but given the above, is this really even a big deal?  Let the 28 year-old play out the last year of his deal and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2022 unless you can get better compensation in a trade this offseason.  Simple.

I’d rather take a sure 4th now then a comp pick only because if we sign anyone in the same tier as him we lose that pick.

Let’s FT his ass and have someone Tonya Harding his knee cap. He’ll get his guaranteed money.

i kid!

I would not trade or cut him if he’s willing to calm down, sit down and negotiate in good faith on a new deal.  He’s our best corner and just entering his prime. 

He obviously just needs a little TLC from Ron And JDR.  Cooler heads should prevail in this situation. He hasn’t handled this with tact and behind the scenes. So I think when Ron hugs him he will reconsider his current emotional state.

I think we can sign him to a bargain deal relative to his level of play, when he’s been on the field. Why?  His injury history and his relatively recent transition to DB. He’s a good worker and earned everything he’s gotten till now. Show him the $. Nothing too crazy but more than he’s currently making. 

And if it goes down any other way than above then he rides out his contact with us. Gives us options, and if we like the offers in the draft we can pounce on the draft capital.  Or ride it out with our above average CB for 2020. I think I’d lean towards the draft Capital to start fresh. 

I want to keep him though...

49 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That’s a reasoned response - but not sure how it fits into the team culture Ron wants to build. But you are right a pick would have to be better than a 3rd to even pick up the phone.

So our top outside DB who has been good and was on top of everyone's "must re-sign" list is now cuttable because he is making a business play to get a contract before he tears something? lol

Fans can be so emotional. 

If Ron can get something decent for him and he isn't a fit, fine. I trust it. This could have been Gettleman or Hurney but the Panthers under Rivera always prioritised Front 7 over DBs anyways. Always. Gettleman continued to do it with the Giants too, shipping out or letting go of Collins and Janoris Jenkins etc. 

To act like the guy is a traitor now in negotiation season is silly. 

Archived