Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Olsen confirmed that he will take three scheduled visits, while also saying "I've been very up front with the teams and I've been very up front with  everybody involved. We're going to get a good picture of what  the  landscape looks like out there both football and personally are for me and my family," before he makes any kind of a decision."

"Once I'm in, you're jumping full into the deep end. Once your in - you gotta go. You've gotta give them everything you've got. 

"It's been exciting. It's the first time I've ever been a free agent. We'll see what the future holds."

Olsen is No. 74 on the best free agents list for NFLTradeRumors.com.

He addressed his burgeoning TV career but made it mostly clear to my ears that he's playing football this year and a full time media career is not yet on the front burner. 

"I think that option is on the table. I don't think we've closed the door on anything," Olsen told ESPN 1000.  "I didn't want to make a hasty decision after being released.."

"You want to make sure you let your emotions settle....We're just starting that process on the football side. We'll see where it leads," Olsen told "Waddle & Silvy." 

A return home to the Bears is something Olsen was hoping to have a chance at but he admitted so far, no dice. 

"In my heart, I was hoping they would have been one of the first calls... My phone is on."

Unfortunately, a Chicago based show was not going to ask Olsen much, if anything,  about the Redskins and that was the case here. 

We're all left to wait. And we'll probably wait for at  least a week or so and maybe more on Olsen's next venture. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would we trade down to sign a FA LBer? That's just an odd post.

Beasley would be a ridiculous addition. I would do that in a heartbeat.

I think he meant signing Beasley gives you some flexibility to then trade down for or outright take Okudah at 2.  

I’m very much in favor of upgrading our secondary/corners.  Buying time for our line to get home, or taking away the quick pass game - both can help our 3rd down woes in a big way.  With all of that said, it makes so much more sense to look to FA for a corner to pair with Dunbar and drafting Young.   

Interesting group of starting QB's who may be available this year in free agency:

Newton

Rivers

Dalton

Bridgewater

Brady

Carr

Tannehill

Winston

Marriota

I know we have Haskins and Alex Smith under contract, but do we at least consider trying to grab one of these guys should something happen to Dwayne knowing that Alex is a long shot to ever see the field again? Some of these guys are gonna have to settle for being a backup for sure. From this list I think I'd go for Dalton or Mariotta, hoping that they could handle being a backup to start.

I loved Vic Beasley coming out of college. He just exploded off the snap and was so quick. I was convinced that he would be the 15 sack guy he briefly became.

You have to wonder about a guy like that. Unless he was injured, a guy that can post 15 sacks and then 5,5,8, or whatever, likely has motivational issues/doesn’t care as much as you’d like him to. Makes me nervous about signing him. 

On the other hand, a 3rd down blitz package of Vic Beasley, Chase Young, Ioannidis, Allen, and Sweat seems unblockable. Crash Ioannidis down hard inside and then loop Vic Beasley inside Young the same way Ohio State did with Young. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Interesting group of starting QB's who may be available this year in free agency:

Newton

Rivers

Dalton

Bridgewater

Brady

Carr

Tannehill

Winston

Marriota

I know we have Haskins and Alex Smith under contract, but do we at least consider trying to grab one of these guys should something happen to Dwayne knowing that Alex is a long shot to ever see the field again? Some of these guys are gonna have to settle for being a backup for sure. From this list I think I'd go for Dalton or Mariotta, hoping that they could handle being a backup to start.

I'd pick up Bridgewater and let the chips fall where they may. If he beats DH out we're a better team for it. DH can stay and continue to develop.

21 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I'd pick up Bridgewater and let the chips fall where they may. If he beats DH out we're a better team for it. DH can stay and continue to develop.

Bridgewater is going to want starting QB money. And likely more than a one year prove it or bridge deal.

We are already on the hook for over $20M of cap space for Smith next year come what may - we will not be adding another QB on starter money. We also a have a lot of holes and no 2nd round pick. Unless the coaching staff have already determined Haskins is not their guy we will not be trading for a potential starter either.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Bridgewater is going to want starting QB money. And likely more than a one year prove it or bridge deal.

We are already on the hook for over $20M of cap space for Smith next year come what may - we will not be adding another QB on starter money. We also a have a lot of holes and no 2nd round pick. Unless the coaching staff have already determined Haskins is not their guy we will not be trading for a potential starter either.

I agree with you but the reality is that we need to get a backup QB who may have to play? If it's not one of the guys on the list I posted then we're looking at basically a real scrub or a rookie. Rivera talks about making DH earn the job but who is he gonna have to compete against? Alex Smith? I doubt that. If RR is true to his word then he's gonna have to find a more than decent QB to come in here on the cheap and promise the guy a chance to compete for the starting job. I think Keenum would be perfect or someone like Mariotta....this situation bears watching in my opinion. I'd love to draft Jaylen Hurts somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round and give him a role as a swiss army knife in the offense while seeing what kind of pro QB skills he has......that would put some pressure on DH but would still give DH the upper hand. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I actually don’t think Bridgewater is going to get starter money even though he might want it.  I also think it’s going to be a slow market for him.

The teams who REALLY want a QB are going to draft one.  Based on what I’m seeing on mock drafts, there are at least 3, and as many as 5 QBs going off the board in the first round.  You have to figure Cincy, Miami and the chargers get QBs in the draft.  

I’m assuming Brady goes back to the Pats, Tannehill to the Titans and Brees goes back to the Saints.  If Brees retires, Bridgewater is signed only NO faster than you can imagine.  Otherwise, the only teams out there looking.  

Otherwise, where is his starting market?  Chicago? Jax? TB?  

I think Bridgewater will absolutely wants starter money.  I kinda doubt he gets it. 

My spider sense says we go after Rivers.  Rivers is connected to Ron and the Turners.  And it could be a 1 year stop gap if Ron doesn’t think Haskins is ready.  

Im probably wrong.  But for some reason I think Ron is going to want to win right away and not trust a rookie QB out of the gates.  I think he believes they have playoff talent on the team and won’t let the QB situation blow it. 

I could be very wrong. Probably am.  But I can’t shake the feeling. 

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually don’t think Bridgewater is going to get starter money even though he might want it.  I also think it’s going to be a slow market for him.

The teams who REALLY want a QB are going to draft one.  Based on what I’m seeing on mock drafts, there are at least 3, and as many as 5 QBs going off the board in the first round.  You have to figure Cincy, Miami and the chargers get QBs in the draft.  

I’m assuming Brady goes back to the Pats, Tannehill to the Titans and Brees goes back to the Saints.  If Brees retires, Bridgewater is signed only NO faster than you can imagine.  Otherwise, the only teams out there looking.  

Otherwise, where is his starting market?  Chicago? Jax? TB?  

I think Bridgewater will absolutely wants starter money.  I kinda doubt he gets it. 

My spider sense says we go after Rivers.  Rivers is connected to Ron and the Turners.  And it could be a 1 year stop gap if Ron doesn’t think Haskins is ready.  

Im probably wrong.  But for some reason I think Ron is going to want to win right away and not trust a rookie QB out of the gates.  I think he believes they have playoff talent on the team and won’t let the QB situation blow it. 

I could be very wrong. Probably am.  But I can’t shake the feeling. 

If there are 3 to 5 QB's going off the board in the 1st round you can bet your ass we are gonna get some tempting offers.....We need Miami to panic and offer us the motherload.

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think he meant signing Beasley gives you some flexibility to then trade down for or outright take Okudah at 2.  

I’m very much in favor of upgrading our secondary/corners.  Buying time for our line to get home, or taking away the quick pass game - both can help our 3rd down woes in a big way.  With all of that said, it makes so much more sense to look to FA for a corner to pair with Dunbar and drafting Young.   

I figured that, but there's no way Beasley gives you flexability to skip Young. That's crazy talk.  :ols:

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Don’t forget free agency starts before the draft. I don’t know what Teddy’s market will be either though - heck depending on Brees the Saints might want him back as their starter. He’s better than a number of guys who started this year that’s for sure.

I really can’t see us being in the market for Rivers - or why Rivers would want to come here. He’d want to go somewhere that he could contend I would think, he’s not going to play  for more than another two seasons tops (and he may yet retire). And he will definitely want to starter money, and we just can’t have $50M+ tied up at the QB position without it hurting us elsewhere on the roster.

Assuming Smith can’t pass a physical we do need to sign a vet. But it will someone who misses out on a starting gig or is a guy like Keenum who is a stop gap ‘break glass in emergency’ type.

I think we could possibly swing a starting level qb like Rivers.  Assuming we cut Norman and Reed, we could sign Scherff and Flowers for 20mil, Bradberry, Olson and Boston for another 20ish, and Rivers for 20.  Leaves us 6mil or so, and any of those contracts could be a bit lighter year one (and Rivers could, for example, be for 20 mil this year and 26 next year).

You still improve the team (solidified oline, improved pass rush with Young, better secondary play, etc), Rivera and Co. could push that we’re going for a quick turnaround to Rivers.   

It’s a terrible idea though, and it flat out isn’t going to happen, IMO.  Almost a certainty that Rivers would beat out Haskins in terms of learning a new system, Rivera spoke at length with Dan about developing Haskins, and you’re squandering the benefits a rookie contract brings.  

Paying a FA qb anything more than 10mil/year on a two year deal makes little sense for the team.  At that point, you’re better off going for the McCoy type of signing - an obvious backup choice that will be paid 3-5mil or so.  

• ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan included LB Alec Ogletree in his list of "likely" offseason cuts.

Ogletree has underachieved since joining the Giants in 2018 including this past season when he garnered PFF's No. 38 grade out of 58 positional qualifiers at inside linebacker. Cutting Ogletree would leave behind $6.7 million in dead money but would also save New York $5.05 million against the cap. In addition to Ogletree, Raanan also expects the Giants to move on from LB Kareem Martin, S Antoine Bethea and TE Rhett Ellison.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Feb 7, 2020, 12:03 PM ET
    •  

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think we could possibly swing a starting level qb like Rivers.  Assuming we cut Norman and Reed, we could sign Scherff and Flowers for 20mil, Bradberry, Olson and Boston for another 20ish, and Rivers for 20.  Leaves us 6mil or so, and any of those contracts could be a bit lighter year one (and Rivers could, for example, be for 20 mil this year and 26 next year).

Paying a FA qb anything more than 10mil/year on a two year deal makes little sense for the team.  At that point, you’re better off going for the McCoy type of signing - an obvious backup choice that will be paid 3-5mil or so.  

Wayyyy to bullish here. Not necessarily in the allocations of dollars to RFA and FA but in throwing another $20m at a Rivers type. We need $6 million to sign draft picks. And usually we go into the season with at least $10 million to use on in-season moves. Not to mention that the team will liekly want to roll $$ into 2021.

Rivers for $20 million could be $20 million rolled into 2021 to off-set cutting Alex Smith. It's wasteful IMO.

Here's what I think is possible ...

Cut Josh Norman and Jordan Reed - $58 million in cap space ---

Trade Ryan Kerrigan to Patriots for a 4th rounder --- $69.9m cap space

Total Cap Space:

- Olsen for an incentive-laden FA deal ... a 2 year $10 million base deal with incentives possible to make it 2 years $15 million ($5m hit)

- Bradberry comes on board for a 5 year $65 million deal ($11m hit)

- Scherff comes back under a 5 year $65 million deal ($11m hit)

- Flowers comes back under a 3 year $21 million deal ($6m hit)

- Boston comes in on a 3 year $21 million deal ($6m hit)

- Trent re-ups for 3 more years (so 4 including this year) at $64 million (neutral hit)

- Sign Vic Beasley to a 4 year $32 million deal to start OLB and be a situational pass-rusher ($7m hit)

- $46 million in new cap hits in 2020

- $6 million for cap room for draft picks

- $52 million spent on the 2020 cap leaving $17 million to rollover

*Note --- this does not include veteran depth or a backup QB which tends to be pricey.

We can definitely spend big, but it will take our cap space out pretty quickly. If you don't trade Kerrigan you don't sign Beasley, and that's a wash for the most part cap-wise ($3m more to keep Ryan)

JMS, appreciate the breakdown as very informative.

Didn't we offer Scherff $13M a year already and he turned it down?  I think he wants more than that and isn't that a lot for Boston considering his recent contracts?  Maybe we can shave a little off that for Brandon.

IMO, I don't think we'll trade Kerrigan as he's been a pro's pro and consistent and beloved by the community, fans, and Snyder.  Plus there was a report of him already telling his agent to work hard with the team and his contract to keep him here.   I for one hope he stays as you can't have enough pass rushers as seen by Phi and NYG taking down the Pats in the SB.     And our depth in most spots has been not starting caliber so I'm all for it if we can make it work financially.

He's a ROH player for sure so would love for him to retire a Skin.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wayyyy to bullish here. Not necessarily in the allocations of dollars to RFA and FA but in throwing another $20m at a Rivers type. We need $6 million to sign draft picks. And usually we go into the season with at least $10 million to use on in-season moves. Not to mention that the team will liekly want to roll $$ into 2021.

Rivers for $20 million could be $20 million rolled into 2021 to off-set cutting Alex Smith. It's wasteful IMO.

For one, we would have 66mil in cap space, not 58 (per your other post).  

Second, I have no idea what Rivera will cost, just spitballing.  

Third, you can easily backload a bit from each contract.  So Scherff avg is 15/year, but only 12 next year, Rivers 18 next year, 22 the following, etc.  So you can get down to 45mil or less easy, leaving you 20+mil for other costs/rollover.  

Fourth, we have something 135mil in projected cap space next year.  I think we’re ok.  

And 5th, I said I don’t like the idea, lol.  I’d bring in a guy like Matt Moore (as @volsmet mentioned) or maybe Keenum, giving you another good bit to play with in FA (or roll over).  

Archived