Riggo-toni

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Flowers plucked, Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, S Sean Davis, RB McKissic, TE Logan Thomas OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), TE Rodgers, RB P. Barber, LB Davis, OL Vujnovich, WR

For me:

TE

Austin Hooper

Hunter Henry (if medicals check out)

Greg Olsen

LT

DJ Humphries (if Trent leaves)

LB

Cory Littleton

CB

James Bradberry

Bryon Jones

Logan Ryan

Kendall Fuller

S

Anthony Harris

Jimmie Ward

Justin Simmons (but I read he will be kept by Denver)

Tre Boston (if cheap)

• Like 3

My FA wish-list (if the price is right):

RB: Kareem Hunt, Austin Ekeler

TE: Austin Hooper, Hunter Henry, Greg Olsen

RT: Bryan Bulaga, Jack Conklin

SLB: Vic Beasley

WLB: Cory Littleton

CB: Byron Jones, James Bradberry, Kendall Fuller, Jimmy Smith

S: Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons, Tre Boston, Jimmie Ward

• Like 1

Have a feeling Adrian Phillips returns to the Chargers, but I think he’s a sort of that middle ground between Boston and Harris.  Improved year by year, versatile, solid tackler, good character.  

Would vic Beasley's talents translate to strong side linebacker in a 4-3?

We certainly won't need any more edge defensive ends especially if we draft young and or keep kerrigan but if his skills would translate well to a 4-3 linebacker that would seem to be a huge get and give us even more weapons to rush the passer.

Can the x's and o's gurus chime in on this one for me?

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Would vic Beasley's talents translate to strong side linebacker in a 4-3?

I think they definitely would, which is why I've been lobbying for him in this thread.  We can use him similarly to how the Vikings use Anthony Barr or how Bruce Irvin has been used throughout his career when playing in a 4-3.  Beasley is more athletic than both, though he's a bit less agile, which is my only concern.  I still think he'd be our best option at SLB. 

The only issue is that I'm sure there are teams out there that would offer a pass rusher salary, even though he's not a great one, so I doubt we'd be able to acquire him for what a typical SLB would go for.

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The only issue is that I'm sure there are teams out there that would offer a pass rusher salary, even though he's not a great one, so I doubt we'd be able to acquire him for what a typical SLB would go for.

I think that'd be my biggest fear.

Not only does he seem to be a bit of a tweener but also an expensive luxury.

If we spend top dollar on a free agent I'd rather not have any question marks as to where he fits in and how well he will transition to a new position. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I think that'd be my biggest fear.

Not only does he seem to be a bit of a tweener but also an expensive luxury.

If we spend top dollar on a free agent I'd rather not have any question marks as to where he fits in and how well he will transition to a new position. 

He's about as much of a tweener as Bruce Irvin or Von Miller was, and both players had their best years under Jack Del Rio.  I would trust JDR to get the best out of him.  Here's part of Beasley's scouting report:

SOURCES TELL US

"I know everyone will have him pegged as a 3-4 edge guy, but I think 4-3 defenses would be crazy not to consider him as a WILL or SAM who can bump down as an edge rusher in third downs. Denver does it with Von Miller, so why not consider it?" -- NFC East scout

NFL COMPARISON

Bruce Irvin

• Like 1

Accidentally posted this in the Olsen thread after someone listed the FA class of TEs this offseason...

Jarwin has flashed for years in DAL as they force-fed an ineffectual Witten snaps and targets for the nostalgia. He's a guy we should look into targeting at a reasonable price whether we sign Olsen or not. He could be a late career breakout candidate due to his prior situation, like Delanie Walker when he finally got out of SF. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Have a feeling Adrian Phillips returns to the Chargers, but I think he’s a sort of that middle ground between Boston and Harris.  Improved year by year, versatile, solid tackler, good character.  

been touting him myself.

Phillips, Bradberry, Boston, Worley as DB options.

Draft DE and LB

TE - Olsen plus draft. Slight worry too many teams in for Olsen though...

WR/RB - that strange FA board picture may be complete bull, but I wonder if we could surprisingly spend fairly bid in that area, I’ll stick with Robby Anderson as a WR target.

OL - Glasgow but can probably see Trent and Scherff being the OL investments.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

been touting him myself.

Phillips, Bradberry, Boston, Worley as DB options.

Draft DE and LB

TE - Olsen plus draft. Slight worry too many teams in for Olsen though...

WR/RB - that strange FA board picture may be complete bull, but I wonder if we could surprisingly spend fairly bid in that area, I’ll stick with Robby Anderson as a WR target.

OL - Glasgow but can probably see Trent and Scherff being the OL investments.

I personally don’t think we should go after a FA receiver unless it’s a stop gap as insurance in case we don’t land a good one via the draft, but... to each their own.  Deep draft for receiver, other holes to fill, decent group on board all ready... 

I recall you mentioning Phillips - looks like a good ascending player, and as I said - a middle ground between Boston and Harris.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’d be happy with Phillips, for the right price.  The assistant DB coach he’s had for most of his career is our current DB coach - Chris Harris. Between him and Rivera, I’m sure we’ll have great insight on whether it makes more sense to sign Phillips or Boston at various price points. 

Phillips was also 1st team All-Pro in 2018 as a punt returner. Wouldn’t hurt to have two electric returners on our team. 

• Like 2

After looking at the big free agent safeties tonight, I probably like Justin Simmons the most at FS. He's not the fastest but he's one of those guys that always seems to be in the perfect position to make a play on the ball. PFFs highest graded Safety in the NFL and was tied 1st for most forced incompletions. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

After looking at the big free agent safeties tonight, I probably like Justin Simmons the most at FS. He's not the fastest but he's one of those guys that always seems to be in the perfect position to make a play on the ball. PFFs highest graded Safety in the NFL and was tied 1st for most forced incompletions. 

I liked him coming out of college, but I worried about his limitations - speed and size, and I seem to remember I wasn’t too impressed with his run D.  With that said, he was around the ball a lot and was a difference maker on that front.  Good on him for performing at a high level.  

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I liked him coming out of college, but I worried about his limitations - speed and size, and I seem to remember I wasn’t too impressed with his run D.  With that said, he was around the ball a lot and was a difference maker on that front.  Good on him for performing at a high level.  

You can definitely see his limitations, the fact that he's so productive is actually kind of impressive to me. He looks like he runs a high 4.5 to low 4.6 but doesn't really ever get caught out of position. He reminds me of Darren Sharper a bit when I watch him play. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

I don’t think we have a legitimate #2 receiver across from Terry. If we are following the San Francisco model, how about stealing Emmanuel Sanders from them. We know he can block. The 49ers don’t have that much cap room to play with. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t think we have a legitimate #2 receiver across from Terry. If we are following the San Francisco model, how about stealing Emmanuel Sanders from them. We know he can block. The 49ers don’t have that much cap room to play with. 

I agree. We need another receiver at that level.

We've reached that portion of the offseason where we wonder what the story is with Tre Boston.

I feel like we've been going down that road for a decade now.

• Haha 1

Cornerback James Bradberry has spent the first four years of his NFL career with the Carolina Panthers, with the majority of it under new Redskins head coach Ron Rivera.

Bradberry, along with several of his fellow Carolina defenders, is set to hit free agency in March. His position is a high priority of need for the Redskins, who are looking for a quality outside cornerback to pair alongside emerging star Quinton Dunbar.

The 26-year-old joined the Redskins Talk podcast in Miami during Super Bowl week and was excited about the potential about him coming to Washington and reuniting with his former head coach.

"I would love to play for coach Rivera again," Bradberry said. "He's a great man and a great coach.

"He coached me for four years. I didn't realize how much he meant to us until that day [he got fired]," he continued. "Just how he spoke to us as men. He wasn't overly aggressive unless he needed to be. He put his foot down when he needed to be."

• Like 5

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

wild guess?  He wants to much for a long contract when free agency starts so he gets the scraps for one year when he finally does sign

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cornerback James Bradberry has spent the first four years of his NFL career with the Carolina Panthers, with the majority of it under new Redskins head coach Ron Rivera.

Bradberry, along with several of his fellow Carolina defenders, is set to hit free agency in March. His position is a high priority of need for the Redskins, who are looking for a quality outside cornerback to pair alongside emerging star Quinton Dunbar.

The 26-year-old joined the Redskins Talk podcast in Miami during Super Bowl week and was excited about the potential about him coming to Washington and reuniting with his former head coach.

"I would love to play for coach Rivera again," Bradberry said. "He's a great man and a great coach.

"He coached me for four years. I didn't realize how much he meant to us until that day [he got fired]," he continued. "Just how he spoke to us as men. He wasn't overly aggressive unless he needed to be. He put his foot down when he needed to be."

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

@Skinsinparadise Yeah, get this man in DC.

Some moves make too much sense. Greg Olsen-34, Tre Boston-27, James Bradberry-26 and Daryl Williams-27 would improve the team immensely without breaking the bank. I'd love Anthony Harris here. Harris is going to be expensive and the competition for Harris will be fierce. He will have his choice of a lot of teams. Tre Boston is very productive and should be cheap. Daryl Williams can come in and compete with Moses at the RT spot and at a minimum upgrade our depth. Williams also won't be expensive. Bradberry will be moderately pricey, but can come in, play on the left side of the defense across from Dunbar, and at least give us solid predictable play. 

Trent Williams

Erik Flowers

Brandon Scherff

Austin Hooper

Greg Olsen

Tre Boston

James Bradberry

Daryl Williams

None of these guys are pie in the sky, unrealistic free agents and none should break the bank. These signings would keep our OL intact and massively improve our depth and secondary. Obviously, even if we sign all of the above guys, we could still use another RB, swing tackle, WR, CB, and multiple LB's. But, we still have the draft, and you can't fix everything in one year. The NFCE isn't that good. If Haskins develops a little, the above FA class and Chase Young and a decent draft class should get us into contention in the NFCE. 

• Like 4

@Anselmheifer I like your thinking there.  
We may have to semi backload some of the contracts, but I think it’s doable?  I sort of doubt Olsen signs if Hooper does though.  I think the only unlikely addition is Hooper, but it’s certainly possible.  

Scherff 14-15mil

Bradberry 10-12

Hooper 10mil

Olson 6-8?

Flowers 6-8?

That’s 48-54mil out of the 66 (after cutting Reed and Norman).  42-48 if you take out Olson.  

I don’t have any real sense for Boston (3? 5?) or Williams though.  

Part of me thinks they may hold onto Reed until they see what the draft brings.  Part of me also says to just go for the big guys - Harris, Scherff, Hooper, and Bradberry.  They’d wipe out our cap of course, but we have plenty of space in 2021 and beyond.  

On 2/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Surprise of the year...

:P

• Haha 1