Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My philosophy of FA is don't overspend but swing for the fences when you do. 

When teams tend to collect parts to fill needs in FA, it feels good in the moment, but when they often end up being just guys are nothing special, then I'd rather shoot high.  So I'd rather not collect the 2nd tier-3rd tier guys -- no Culliver, Pea, Reyes, J. Johnson types.  I'd rather shoot at the high end.   Cooper IMO is a stud.  My only reservation is this draft is so loaded at that spot that do they really need to?  

Going somewhat against my theory of shooting high, I'd rather shoot lower at CB with this special FA group because I don't see Bradberry as really shooting high.  Bradberry is a big name but does he really deserve to be one of the highest paid corners?  So I'd rather get Breeland and Fuller or whomever then sign Bradberry for big dough.  Plus corner is big time depth driven position.

I am OK with Hooper.  Granted there isn't much out there at that spot in FA and that's my main draw to him.  But I think Cooper would be more of a game changer.   I'd like Littleton or Anthony Harris a lot but not sure if they are targeting them based on what Keim said but will see. 

I like your thinking. It's inevitable to overpay in free agency, but at least overpay for top guys. And by top guys, I don't mean top guys available. I mean top guys at their position, overall. And often times there aren't any of those available. Amari Cooper is a very rare free agent. A top WR, who is also still young. That doesn't come around often. If you miss on him, then you're forced to go down to someone like Robby Anderson. Who might be a decent #2, but wasn't even always a starter with the lowly Jets. And while this draft is supposedly deep at WR, this team likely won't use its #1 on a WR and does not have a #2. So not sure the WR depth helps that much unless you: (1) commit before the draft to use your third rounder on a WR; and (3) be certain you can develop a starter from that selection. Neither of which sounds like a smart bet to make.

Keim just now

Have interest in Cooper but he keeps hearing Dallas wants him and Cooper wants to stay, he thinks he remains in Dallas.  But he heard the Redskins have interest. 

Hooper he thinks goes to GB.  Hooper would want to go to a team with a QB that he's jazzed about.  (one of Hooper's friends said the same on a podcast) Haskins is an unknown.  For the Redskins to land Hooper they'd have to pay more.  He doesn't think it happens for the Redskins and Hooper.

He thinks they like Bryon Jones but doesn't think they'd get him.

They see as Bradberry as a zone corner, seems skeptical they go hard after him

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just now

Have interest in Cooper but he keeps hearing Dallas wants him and Cooper wants to say, he thinks he remains in Dallas.  But he heard the Redskins have interest. 

Hooper he thinks goes to GB.  Hooper would want to go to a team with a QB that he's jazzed about.  (one of his friends said the same on a podcast) Haskins is an unknown.  For the Redskins to land Hooper they'd have to pay more.  He doesn't think it happens for the Redskins and Hooper.

Keim doesn't sound optimistic about us getting anyone.  Strange given the money we have and the new regime in place.  I also think he has no clue what's going on with us either so he's spitballing. 

Well, I think there is a massive disconnect between reality and fantasy --- often times in this very thread. We have the cap space, but so do 15 other teams. There are only so many premier Free Agents out there. We are likely going to have to "cover" some holes with some stopgaps, or low-tier Free Agent signings.

While I would love to get Cooper Hooper Jones etc. Those are the top FAs on the market. I can see maybe 1 ... but I could also see 0 ... and no chance we could land all 3.

Just thinking, we may want to temper expectations. I am sure we will get a solid CB, probably a FS ... but WR or TE may simply have to wait for the draft. LB is one area I think we could make a splash simply because there are so many on the market.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just now

Have interest in Cooper but he keeps hearing Dallas wants him and Cooper wants to stay, he thinks he remains in Dallas.  But he heard the Redskins have interest. 

Hooper he thinks goes to GB.  Hooper would want to go to a team with a QB that he's jazzed about.  (one of Hooper's friends said the same on a podcast) Haskins is an unknown.  For the Redskins to land Hooper they'd have to pay more.  He doesn't think it happens for the Redskins and Hooper.

Be nice if Keim posted some positive news.  :P

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Respect Garafolo but I hope he's wrong on this one.  Cleveland will probably be in on him hard with Cally there. 

6 minutes ago, Lovi said:

Keim doesn't sound optimistic about us getting anyone.  Strange given the money we have and the new regime in place.  I also think he has no clue what's going on with us either so he's spitballing. 

He was similar on his podcast recently.  He said part of it is this place isn't an attractive destination anymore even with Rivera here.  He thinks they'd have to overpay because everything equal the player will likely have a more attractive suitor and the big FAs typically get big offers from multiple teams.

Will see.  In Keim's defense this isn't a report.  Rivera and Kyle Smith obviously aren't telling Keim this directly so he's just guessing based on leaks.  I'd say the Bryon Jones thing is somewhat new.  Jones has been mentioned before as a possibility but the in vogue theory was they would be more into Bradberry and there was a lot of noise that Jones is heading to Philly.  I guess we are about to find out.

Keim just said he expects them to be aggressive but isn't confident they land their targets.   And the phrase he keeps hearing from the people at FO is build it right so he thinks they have limits to how high they'd go in bidding wars.   He expects them to swing hard at their targets. 

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, I think there is a massive disconnect between reality and fantasy --- often times in this very thread. We have the cap space, but so do 15 other teams. There are only so many premier Free Agents out there. We are likely going to have to "cover" some holes with some stopgaps, or low-tier Free Agent signings.

While I would love to get Cooper Hooper Jones etc. Those are the top FAs on the market. I can see maybe 1 ... but I could also see 0 ... and no chance we could land all 3.

Just thinking, we may want to temper expectations. I am sure we will get a solid CB, probably a FS ... but WR or TE may simply have to wait for the draft. LB is one area I think we could make a splash simply because there are so many on the market.

Probably true. If you think the Skins will get all the "big" names, you'll be disappointed. CB has some depth, so it doesn't have to be Jones or bust. But at WR and TE , if you don't sign Cooper or Hooper, then there's probably not anyone else worth getting until you get to the one year prove it type deals.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was similar on his podcast recently.  He said part of it is this place isn't an attractive destination anymore even with Rivera here.  He thinks they'd have to overpay because everything equal the player will likely have a more attractive suitor and the big FAs typically get big offers from multiple teams.

Will see.  In Keim's defense this isn't a report.  Rivera and Kyle Smith obviously aren't telling Keim this directly so he's just guessing based on leaks.  I'd say the Bryon Jones thing is somewhat new.  Jones has been mentioned before as a possibility but the in vogue theory was they would be more into Bradberry and there was a lot of noise that Jones is heading to Philly.  I guess we are about to find out.

Keim just said he expects them to be aggressive but isn't confident they land their targets.   And the phrase he keeps hearing from the people at FO is build it right so he thinks they have limits to how high they'd go in bidding wars.   He expects them to swing hard at their targets. 

Well, they have money to spend so they will HAVE to overpay someone and a few to fill holes the team has this year.  It can't all be done with rookies via draft picks.  

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think we land a "prize".

Don't need one.

I'd love Cooper, Hooper I'd be okay with...

But the guys I'd target are guys to upgrade our major position holes for moderate money. Look towards guys like E. Sanders as a vet presence at WR, Worley at CB, Martinez at LB, Boston at safety, Hollister if you HAVE to have a TE and can't get Hooper.

I like Wes Martin at guard. Depth is good, but we need two tackles. So there's some stuff there that can be finagled. Lots of angles to take. Upgrade in bottomed out positions. 

For me its not about landing a prize but landing distinctly above average players versus jags at a bargain or overpaying for slightly above average players.

As for the sort of tier two FA types, off the top of my head, I'd take

Boston

Fuller

Breeland

Schobert

Martinez

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, they have money to spend so they will HAVE to overpay someone and a few to fill holes the team has this year.  It can't all be done with rookies via draft picks.  

Agree but it might not be among:  Cooper, Hooper, B. Jones, Bradberry.  But another slate.  Keim though does think they will take a strong shot at the Cowboys FAs.  Will see. 

If it's not Cooper, theres no FA WR who's worth it. Especially not with this draft.

I see people wanting to replace Scherff with Martin, but not Flowers. Scherff is better in every way than Flowers and I'd rather over pay Scherff and move Flowers.

TE imo is thee most important position for us to go big on.

Defense, I love that we might be in the game for a top MLB and FS. Corner will work itself out I think.

I assume we can out bid anyone and it's an attractive situation with our coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me its not about landing a prize but landing distinctly above average players versus jags at a bargain or overpaying for slightly above average players.

As for the sort of tier two FA types, off the top of my head, I'd take

Boston

Fuller

Breeland

Schobert

Martinez

Off what Kiem is reporting I start thinking about these players bolded.  They will do a decent job, I believe.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a fine line to walk, that is for sure. The FO will probably not want to do market resetting deals, which is understandable, but I'm afraid they may lean too far in the Brucifer route of not signing anyone noteworthy and just getting jags for inflated market prices.

Who knows, but it's been known for awhile that this team would have to overpay because of the jacked up front office.. now the office is fixed but they will still have to overpay because the team has stunk for so long.. but 15+ teams are in that boat as well every year.

2 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I think they are going to target Boston and Fuller. Won't break the bank and both are solid. 

But we also need a decent TE.  Wonder what they have in mind.  Might be TE by committee at this point.

They can get a TE in the draft but I wouldn't go for any other TE in FA other than Hooper.  JMO.  :)

Like to see Flowers inked before 12pm. 

All things being equal, why would anyone in their right mind want to come here. I understand there is a new staff but that will take time to build trust with free agents. What do we sell them on? A great stadium? A great training facility? A beloved owner? Recent playoff success? We have NOTHING to sell except those 3 SuperBowl's from the 80s, which today's players weren't even born.

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

All things being equal, why would anyone in their right mind want to come here. I understand there is a new staff but that will take time to build trust with free agents. What do we sell them on? A great stadium? A great training facility? A beloved owner? Recent playoff success? We have NOTHING to sell except those 3 SuperBowl's from the 80s, which today's players weren't even born.

I think it depends on their options. Why would people want to sign with the Jets? or the Bengals? or the Dolphins? Good teams tends to not have cap space, so the most lucrative options tend to be bad squads. But today's bad squad isn't necessarily tomorrow's. San Francisco is the latest example. But how do you predict that? And what if you're wrong? Jacksonville was seen as a "up and comer" a few years ago. But it was all smoke and mirrors. Will the Browns ever be good? It's very difficult to sign somewhere and really know what to expect. The coach could be fired in a year. The rookie QB might become the next Tom Brady. That's why money is a huge driving factor in any of this. Get paid and hope the rest works out. Not every play just wants top dollar, but it's a huge factor in any decision 

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would be extremely disappointed if we lost Flowers. He's been a pretty durable player over his career (and that means a lot to me as many injuries as we've had along our line the past several years) and i really thought he was a mauler that could move/pull and get to the second level last year. He's young and only going to get better. Even if Martin isn't a huge dropoff, then who's behind him if he gets hurt? I think Flowers is worth the money and we gave him his big chance last year so hopefully that goes in our favor. 

I would love if we could get Fuller or Breeland back...I'd be even happier if we got both. But yeah, I'm worried about how attractive we are for these guys. I can't blame them for wanting to go literally anywhere else. 

Skins can't sink $26 mil in to Guards (Scherff/Flowers) a year, with Moses at $10 mil and then expect to replace the LT position somewhere in the $18 mil range.  Way too much in Oline towards cap. 

It doesn't seem fiscally possible.

Another Guard off the market.

Archived