Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

Can he play LG, he played RG for the Saints?. 

HTTR 

I mean, it questiones whether us paying Scherff 15mil is a worthwhile exercise.

Trade Scherff for a day 2 pick and start Martin anyone. Or sign this guy at half the price. Not suggesting, just asking....

With each passing day, I think it's less and less likely anyone significant is signed.  I think the NFL, much like the US in general, is trying to put out an optimistic message to boost consumer confidence, but I'm willing to bet team's internal conversations are much less optimistic.  If you were an owner and were bracing for a loss of millions in revenue, would you want to give out a decent signing bonus?  If it's a good possibility 2020 is reduced or wiped out, would you be quick to give a short term deal if you wouldn't get much productivity out of it?  You probably would only do it if you thought the player was too good to pass up (those type of free agents are already signed), or you are signing the player at a discount (I doubt free agents are willing to accept a discount at this point and will wait for their perceived market value to hopefully materialize).   If I was an owner, I wouldn't be in a rush to make a move right now.

1 hour ago, sportsnut said:

I don’t want to put too much money into the guard position considering we’re already paying scherff so much.

Giving Haskins a strong interior OL to step up behind should be one of our top priorities as we try to develop him. Maybe with a proven vet QB it wouldn't be the best use of resources but given our cap space and where we are in Haskins' development I'd absolutely do it. Especially since we don't have Scherff locked in yet. 

It all depends on what they think of Martin really. 

Is Warford too much of a vet to be claimed? 

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Giving Haskins a strong interior OL to step up behind should be one of our top priorities as we try to develop him. Maybe with a proven vet QB it wouldn't be the best use of resources but given our cap space and where we are in Haskins' development I'd absolutely do it. Especially since we don't have Scherff locked in yet. 

It all depends on what they think of Martin really. 

Is Warford too much of a vet to be claimed? 

Yeah he can’t be claimed. He’s on the open market.

These are the kind of players we should be in on. Or you pay a Scherff 5/75mil.

i would seriously consider signing Warford and shopping Scherff about if a new deal can’t be agreed upon.

Or shift Scherff to RT but everyone tells me he doesn’t have the ability to play there.

I think right now we have the weakest O line in the NFC East.  We used to make fun of the Giants O line but in my view it surpassas ours now probably by a clear peg.  Zeitler is one of the best guards in the game.  Hernandez hasn't hit his potential but he's a mauler when he wants to be.  Thomas IMO will be a stud LT.  Solder isn't a hot LT but I presume he's moving to RT and IMO he's better than Moses or at least on par. 

Cowboys O line isn't what it once was but its still darn good.  the Eagles might have the best O line.  

My point is Warford would equalize it some.   Warford is more a power type guard but I think he can work with outside zone if that's what they heavily focus on next season

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to wonder if Warford was also looking for a new deal, he was in the last year of his deal in NO. 

What’s the guessing on what money he will get?

Hard to tell, there's still so many guys available that realistically shouldn't be like clowney and Ryan its making it difficult to gauge what players are going to get late in free agency. 

Normally by now players are getting one year "prove it deals" so to speak and hit the market again next year but this year seems like an anomaly. 

I guess he'll probably get a one year deal around 8 million but honestly I have no idea.

I dont think it'll be us though, we all desperately want the skins to sign him and Peters to one year deals so we can feel good about the line going into the season but I don't think that's our coaches plan, I believe they want to go with what we have  so they can roll cap into next year when they have a better idea of the direction we're heading. 

If Warford is interested in a one year deal then you lose no future cap space. 

part of me would love having Scherrf and Warford both on one year deals, let the season play out and res-sign whoever played the best. 

question is, are we interested, who’s offering what, and what does Worford want?

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to wonder if Warford was also looking for a new deal, he was in the last year of his deal in NO. 

What’s the guessing on what money he will get?

Don't know but reading what I have it seems like its cap savings post some signings and arguably they just drafted the best C-OG in the draft.

It sounds like he will have multiple suitors, so I'd guess he gets at least the Flowers deal,  But yeah he's a big deal.  PFF ranked last season at some point last year one of the top 20 O lineman in the league.  He's 28 albeit going on 29 which makes him just about half a year older than Scherff. 

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

part of me would love having Scherrf and Warford both on one year deals, let the season play out and res-sign whoever played the best. 

question is, are we interested, who’s offering what, and what does Worford want?

I doubt Warford would take a one year deal unless he gets some really low ball offers.  It's not the typical big player release that's often driven by character issues or some injury.  He's in his prime and got cut it seems that NO is strapped by the cap and they drafted potentially a stud replacement.  If he were part of the recent FA crop, he'd I think get at least 13 million or so a year.  One thing working against him now is some teams have already blown their cap room.  We fortunately are not one of those teams.

I didn't really think about it until this morning but in my view every team in the NFC East has an above average O line right now except for us unless some of our wildcards come through. 

Wes Martin graded by PFF in the low 50s and his pass blocking grade was an abysmal 37.  Granted he's young but he wasn't one of the touted college guards before we took him.  So to me he's a bit of a wildcard.  Then we got Atlanta's previous backup guard also with a PFF rating in the 50s.    And LT is a wildcard, too.  Not saying these dude's can't work out, who knows.  But putting a bonafide booked stud at the other guard spot IMO would go a long way.  Having said that it looks like there is competition for him so I doubt we'd land him even if we chased him unless we were willing to outbid everyone. 

I don’t think the Skkns are going to sign another big money guard.  They have Scherff already on the tag.  I feel Ron wants to see what he’s got in Martin and some others before spending money on positions. 

In fact, that seems like the whole approach to FA.  He wants to coach these young guys first with his coaching staff, see where they are, and have ample cal room and draft resources next year to go all in on some guys next year after they know who pans out and who doesn’t.  

The only FA they really went for was Cooper, and that had more to do with Cooper than anything else. 

So I doubt the skins are really in for Warford. 

50 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm no cap expert by any standard but I've read many times on here that a certain amount of unused cap can be rolled into the next year.

If we pay him , say ten million dollars on a one year deal isn't that ten million in cap we cant roll over and therefore affects future cap space?

Archived