Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Flowers plucked, Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, S Sean Davis, RB McKissic, TE Logan Thomas OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), TE Rodgers, RB P. Barber, LB Davis, OL Vujnovich, Darb

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Back to your regularly scheduled bargain basement hunting.

this doesn't even qualify as that.  When you bargain basement hunt you're at least looking for something you can use.  This guy is just there cause you need a certain number of bodies for practices

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't think you responded to the post you meant to.

I finally went back and read.  I just quoted him instead of @ ing him.  Because he seemed to be confused based on the reaction.

Edited by Vanguard
1 hour ago, carex said:

this doesn't even qualify as that.  When you bargain basement hunt you're at least looking for something you can use.  This guy is just there cause you need a certain number of bodies for practices

whilst i agree with this, we left several roster places open after the draft...having essentially avoided UDFA, outside of maybe 4 players, on the basis it was pointless adding them because they would never make the roster. 

think I’d take an UDFA over this signing. Trivial point probably, but yeah, bit of a head scratcher for me. 

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

think I’d take an UDFA over this signing. Trivial point probably, but yeah, bit of a head scratcher for me. 

I agree. Liedtke's been around for 5 years now so at this point you already know he's not much. I'd much rather have taken a chance on a few OL that still remain undrafted. The fact that we only signed UDFA at skill positions bothers me. Us and the Raiders signed the least amount of UDFA BY FAR with 4 each, but the Raiders had 7 draft picks all within the first four rounds.

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

whilst i agree with this, we left several roster places open after the draft...having essentially avoided UDFA, outside of maybe 4 players, on the basis it was pointless adding them because they would never make the roster. 

I think it's a coronavirus thing.  Get a guy who's been in training camps and dealt with pro playbooks when there's no rookie minicamps to help bring them up to speed

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, carex said:

I think it's a coronavirus thing.  Get a guy who's been in training camps and dealt with pro playbooks when there's no rookie minicamps to help bring them up to speed

I agree, was thinking the same thing.  Knowing they really can't get a good look at rookies because of the lack of rookie camp, OTA's and such, looks like the team went in a different direction and is looking at established players that can come to training camp much more prepared than a rookie.

It is sad that you can't hold those off season training sessions to find a couple UDFA's to invite to training camp.  It was fun reading about this time of year when a player or two would impress and earn a ticket to camp.

Edited by Fred Jones
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/nfl-2021-salary-cap-01e7n147ntmf

Schefter saying with billions in lost revenue in 2020, the cap could decrease anywhere from 30 to 80 mil in 2021.

I don't see that drastic of a cut, as it would destroy teams.  I'm sure they will come to an amendment due to the circumstances.  However, I think it's safe to say the cap won't increase, which will lead some teams to be even tighter against the cap next year.  The lack of the expected annual increase of 10 mil will be enough to hamper a lot of teams offseasons.  Another reason why Ron and co might be choosing to shop in the bargain bin this offseason.  We may be one of the few teams to be able to maneuver next offseason, and Ron will have a better idea of what positions to prioritize.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Whilst I agree that I wish they had gone further with the UDFA, I find myself questioning if I have ever seen "whilst" used in a thread no less begin a comment...hahaha!!👍

• Haha 4
29 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/nfl-2021-salary-cap-01e7n147ntmf

Schefter saying with billions in lost revenue in 2020, the cap could decrease anywhere from 30 to 80 mil in 2021.

I don't see that drastic of a cut, as it would destroy teams.  I'm sure they will come to an amendment due to the circumstances.  However, I think it's safe to say the cap won't increase, which will lead some teams to be even tighter against the cap next year.  The lack of the expected annual increase of 10 mil will be enough to hamper a lot of teams offseasons.  Another reason why Ron and co might be choosing to shop in the bargain bin this offseason.  We may be one of the few teams to be able to maneuver next offseason, and Ron will have a better idea of what positions to prioritize.

The players are lucky they voted yes on the new CBA this year.  They would have gotten ridiculously less than they ended up with if they extended negotiations into 2021, which probably would have led to a lockout, which means the fans would have lost in this situation too.  The star players should be thanking the no-names who voted yes against their advice/begging.

• Like 2

there is no way the salary cap actually drops like that.  The worst thing they could do would be to not raise it.  I mean I doubt teams even have contracts structured properly where they could get under the cap by cutting people

9 minutes ago, carex said:

there is no way the salary cap actually drops like that.  The worst thing they could do would be to not raise it.  I mean I doubt teams even have contracts structured properly where they could get under the cap by cutting people

You think if the owners take a 30-60% hit in revenue, they're going to take the full brunt of that?  I have serious doubts.  They'll pass as much of that to the players as they can.

They NEED to sign a CB at some point.  Biggest weak spot on the roster.  I know they've bargain shopping but there are guys out there that should be looked at that

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

They NEED to sign a CB at some point.  Biggest weak spot on the roster.  I know they've bargain shopping but there are guys out there that should be looked at that

If we were looking to be contenders this year and had less questions on our roster I would agree. For now I'm content to let it play out and reevaluate what we have after seeing this current roster play with the new scheme and coaching staff.

This year I'm looking for team progress and individual development from our young roster. 8-8. Anything more is gravy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

I can not wait to see what TW signs for after this season. Wish that greedy, lying sack of **** nothing but the worst.

im curious to see how this gets resolved. If the cut is even on the lower end, $30m, some teams will be in big trouble... the eagles and saints already exceed the 2021 cap significantly. Sure there are creative ways to fix cap issues, but the eagles being $80m over will have a real problem on their hands. 

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I can not wait to see what TW signs for after this season. Wish that greedy, lying sack of **** nothing but the worst.

im curious to see how this gets resolved. If the cut is even on the lower end, $30m, some teams will be in big trouble... the eagles and saints already exceed the 2021 cap significantly. Sure there are creative ways to fix cap issues, but the eagles being $80m over will have a real problem on their hands. 

Absolutely, not to mention teams like the cards, Lions, Bengals, etc who might still have cap room, but make financial decisions based on the bottom line over winning titles.  Even if some teams have cap room, they might not want to spend the money, especially large signing bonuses in big deals for big players.  

Unfortunately the 49ers are in decent cap shape, so they would be able to offer TW a decent contract, but nowhere near his 20 mil aav asking price. I will also not shed a tear if this development prevents TW from getting the contract he was trying to weasel his way into. 

19 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Absolutely, not to mention teams like the cards, Lions, Bengals, etc who might still have cap room, but make financial decisions based on the bottom line over winning titles.  Even if some teams have cap room, they might not want to spend the money, especially large signing bonuses in big deals for big players.  

Unfortunately the 49ers are in decent cap shape, so they would be able to offer TW a decent contract, but nowhere near his 20 mil aav asking price. I will also not shed a tear if this development prevents TW from getting the contract he was trying to weasel his way into. 

I actually wish TW the best. He was an excellent player for us when available. To be as good as he is and to play for a mess of an organization for such a long time must be demoralizing. The events over the past two years was the tipping point. Both sides could have handled things better. 

When you are on the wrong end of **** for a lengthy period it's tough. Especially when you perform at a high level. Also I would like to see one of ours actually have success else where. Generally our players are not good enough to get signed and are not valued with other teams. Be cool to have a success story from a player we drafted play well for another team. 

Except when he plays us. Give em hell Chase and company!

1 hour ago, SkinsFootball said:

I actually wish TW the best. He was an excellent player for us when available. To be as good as he is and to play for a mess of an organization for such a long time must be demoralizing. The events over the past two years was the tipping point. Both sides could have handled things better. 

When you are on the wrong end of **** for a lengthy period it's tough. Especially when you perform at a high level. Also I would like to see one of ours actually have success else where. Generally our players are not good enough to get signed and are not valued with other teams. Be cool to have a success story from a player we drafted play well for another team. 

Except when he plays us. Give em hell Chase and company!

Did you miss the super bowl this past year? Fuller and Breeland...

honestly, good on you for your perspective of the situation. I have never felt that once for any redskin player that’s left. Ehh maybe a couple, but none who have left and spat on this fanbase/franchise as they walked out the door. I hate hating him, he was a hero here for so long, but this breakup was too ugly to wish him anything good.

Apologies for derailing the this to a TW talk.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CTskin said:

people design contracts on the assumption the cap goes up.  It's not going to work with the cap dropping

The NFL will find ways to save money and make money.  Maybe they sell ESPN another Hard Knocksesque show about camp in these times.  No one in the stadium means no tickets or concession, but it also means no paying suppliers or people to work concessions.  Maybe they sell virtual ad space over the empty seats.

Edited by carex
4 hours ago, carex said:

people design contracts on the assumption the cap goes up.  It's not going to work with the cap dropping

The NFL will find ways to save money and make money.  Maybe they sell ESPN another Hard Knocksesque show about camp in these times.  No one in the stadium means no tickets or concession, but it also means no paying suppliers or people to work concessions.  Maybe they sell virtual ad space over the empty seats.

No one in seats? By September? Only by choice or because a particular state governor isnt allowing it...most everything will be open and full throttle by Sept. except maybe California...but i think even they'll fall in line by then

8 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Whilst I agree that I wish they had gone further with the UDFA, I find myself questioning if I have ever seen "whilst" used in a thread no less begin a comment...hahaha!!👍

one does ones best to lift standards around this place occasionally :rofl89: