Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Put me down for thinking Thaddeus Moss makes this team and makes an impact this year. I think the guy is raw, has a ton of talent, but lacks the speed. But that's okay. He is a very very good blocker and has excellent hands. Sprinkle dropped a number of passes last year. I think Moss rises to the top and becomes a starting TE for us. The only person on our roster I could see him not passing is Logan Thomas, and that is simply because he seems like a priority addition by RR and Scott Turner. But Moss will be involved.

Went through the Spotrac calculator to determine 2020 cap space.

Once we pare down the roster and sign rookies, it looks like we will be around $26 million in cap space. Historically (due to injuries) we have spent quite a few $$ on free agents in-season to come in and spell injured players. But on average, we will likely spend about $3-5 million in this category. The remaining question is whether we sign any premier FA down the stretch. Based on how our original FA cycle went, and how we addressed the draft, I really don't see us adding anyone major. Except maybe a flier on someone like Hassan Riddick who probably won't cost a ton and may not even make the roster. I just don't see us adding a Logan Ryan type ... or even Jason Peters for that matter. I think this staff brought in certain players to assess them long-term (Darby, Davis) ... and I don't think the plan was to really add anyone via the draft unless the right player fell.

Rolling $18 million over to 2021 would give us a ton of ammo for next off-season. Although you never want to blow your cash on other team's castoffs, so to speak, I think we will be looking to extend a lot of our talent, especially on defense, and that will come in handy since we will not be hamstrung with $120m to spend.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Went through the Spotrac calculator to determine 2020 cap space.

Once we pare down the roster and sign rookies, it looks like we will be around $26 million in cap space. Historically (due to injuries) we have spent quite a few $$ on free agents in-season to come in and spell injured players. But on average, we will likely spend about $3-5 million in this category. The remaining question is whether we sign any premier FA down the stretch. Based on how our original FA cycle went, and how we addressed the draft, I really don't see us adding anyone major. Except maybe a flier on someone like Hassan Riddick who probably won't cost a ton and may not even make the roster. I just don't see us adding a Logan Ryan type ... or even Jason Peters for that matter. I think this staff brought in certain players to assess them long-term (Darby, Davis) ... and I don't think the plan was to really add anyone via the draft unless the right player fell.

Rolling $18 million over to 2021 would give us a ton of ammo for next off-season. Although you never want to blow your cash on other team's castoffs, so to speak, I think we will be looking to extend a lot of our talent, especially on defense, and that will come in handy since we will not be hamstrung with $120m to spend.

I just want to be sure I understand this and my apologies in advance. When you say roll over cap into next year is that a new thing the nfl is doing or has this always been a thing? Is there a max amount a team can roll over into next year? 

Thanks for the insight. 

On 4/26/2020 at 1:58 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

If he was 3 inches taller and had more than one year of production...he would look similar to Heath Miller in my opinion. Moss seems like he has the abilities to fill a similar role...albeit maybe not at the same level.

11 hours ago, redrobert said:

As for TE and I know I’m in the minority here, I really think Moss may  be the guy. Is he fast no, but he blocks like a beast and has solid hands. Reminds me a lot of the Steelers Heath Miller. He will make the squad and he will produce.

Don't be stealing my ideas...I barely ever come up with good ones!

1 minute ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I just want to be sure I understand this and my apologies in advance. When you say roll over cap into next year is that a new thing the nfl is doing or has this always been a thing? Is there a max amount a team can roll over into next year? 

Thanks for the insight. 

it was not always a thing, it came in with the last CBA, there's no real max amount, but there is a minimum amount of the cap you have to spend so that is technically the max I suppose

1 minute ago, carex said:

it was not always a thing, it came in with the last CBA, there's no real max amount, but there is a minimum amount of the cap you have to spend so that is technically the max I suppose

Ahhh thanks I wasn’t aware but that’s big and I like it especially with our current cap status.  

Hail

2 hours ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Ahhh thanks I wasn’t aware but that’s big and I like it especially with our current cap status.  

Hail

Yeah it started in 2012 with the new cap structure. It works in 3 year windows. A team has to spend something like 80% of their cap designation within a 3 year window, and are allowed to roll that money over from year to year through that 3 year window. The Redskins were able to roll $12.5 million over from last year into this year (thanks primarily to not having to pay Trent Williams). The league-wide cap this year is something like $197 million ... and our cap was adjusted up to $209 million as a result of rollover.

So in short, whatever we don't spend this year, gets rolled into 2021. The current projected increase in salary cap is $215 million. Some estimated it could go to $240m in 2021 depending on tv $$ in the new agreements, but I know OTC is using a preliminary cap of $215m. So if we come to the end of the 2021 season and have $15 million that we have not spent, that will roll into our cap for 2021 and, based on current numbers, give us a cap of $230 million.

We currently have $127 million on the books for 2021, which would leave us with about $103 million in cap space.

Two moves that we can/will likely make after this season ... cutting Alex Smith and Morgan Moses, drops our current committed $$ on the 2021 books to $105 million ... giving us $125 million to spend.

CAVEAT! Assuming we cut Smith and Moses after 2020 and roll $15 million over to next year, that number on paper projecting out would be $105 million on the books with a $230 million cap. But then you start adding in some other factors ...

- RG Scherff is not on the 2021 books. An extension likely adds $14m if it is Year 2 of a 5 year deal that is slightly backloaded

- DT Jonathan Allen's 5th year option is not on the books. I think the estimate on that is $11 million

- The 2020 draft class is not yet factored into the 2021 number. I did factor in for them in the 2020 number, so that is factored into the $15m projected rollover. The pool of $$ for the 2020 draft class in 2021 is likely $14 million

The above "mentions" are only those that are virtual locks to be under contract in 2021 that are not currently reflected. There are others ... Kerrigan, Rueben Foster, Sean Davis, Thomas Davis, Ronald Darby, Fabian Moreau ... that are in the final year's of their deals and could be extended should they perform. But that can/will be an exercise for the 2021 off-season projections when we get there ...

$105m base contracts

+ Scherff ($14m)

+ Allen ($11m)

+ 2020 rookie class ($14m)

+ 2021 rookie class ($13m)

$157 million in contracts entering the 2021 off-season

$230 million projected cap

$73 million in cap space to spend on free agents and re-signs.

*NOTE* ... similar to this year, when we enter free agency the 2021 rookie pool will not be represented in the number. So we will likely be advertised as having about $86 million in cap space ...

Not that $73 million is not a massive amount of money to have to spend on FAs, but just breaking it down a bit.

2 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Yes Mike Nolan is known for getting the most out of defenses, especially ones which just lot top pass rushers and was built for a completely different scheme. 

Dan Snyder does not like Vanilla...Mike Nolan's defensive rankings:

image.png.a0a2b275848d498524c21923259ddfef.png

For the last 5 years, he's been a Linebackers Coach.

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

file this under things I didn’t ever think I’d see. Jameis Winston’s base salary this year is less than a million dollars.

Supreme value. 

A team like the Titans should’ve signed him at that rate and let Tannenhill go. Now they’re just like every other middling team with a middling over paid QB. 

The 3 ways I’d go about paying a QB:

Pay the elite 

Pay on the cheap for a Winston type 

Pay the rookie 

Just say no to devoting 10-15% of cap to middling guys. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:06 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Ngakoue would be a fantastic move as long as the cost was reasonable. Posted about him for a while. Even suggested him in the 4-3 line up thread just yesterday. Local to the area too, right?

Given the Falcons wanted to move to #2 in the draft, I could see that link bring real.

Falcons also declined the 5th year option on Takk McKinley. Think they do target Ngakoue. 49ers declined DE Thomas’ too.

Also, OJ Howard’s 5th year option is 6m. Not as high as I thought.

2 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Quite a bit for them to pay their #3 TE, though.

Also easier to trade a guy with two years of cheap left on his contract instead of just one. 

It's also really pointless except for injury. TB can still cut him before the season without it counting.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Just been reading that the Cardinals might release Haasan Reddick. 2017 first rounder. Had a fairly disastrous time there. 

I recall him being highly regarded back then. Is he purely a 3-4 fit ? Is he damaged goods ? Would he be worth a look if he was available ?

Any views on him?

I haven't watched him since college.  From what I recall he had the athleticism to maybe play OLB in a 4-3 but haven't seen him at all in Arizona.

O'Grady still not signed, wow.  I guess his character issues are intense because otherwise i'd sign him in 2 secs. 

On 4/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Just been reading that the Cardinals might release Haasan Reddick. 2017 first rounder. Had a fairly disastrous time there. 

I recall him being highly regarded back then. Is he purely a 3-4 fit ? Is he damaged goods ? Would he be worth a look if he was available ?

Any views on him?

What I remember about him is he was an undersized edge rusher who was going to have to change positions.   It hasn't helped that he's had three different DCs since he's been a Cardinal.  

Archived