Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Just been reading that the Cardinals might release Haasan Reddick. 2017 first rounder. Had a fairly disastrous time there. 

I recall him being highly regarded back then. Is he purely a 3-4 fit ? Is he damaged goods ? Would he be worth a look if he was available ?

Any views on him?

@UK SKINS FAN 74 that's an impressive list of actions. I just don't see how we end up making so many moves when, to date, we've really not been all that active by comparison. I personally don't think we end up cutting Smith, even as a post-June 1st designation. But however you think we will act on his contract ... whether we cut him now, cut him as a post-june 1st ... or hold on to him another year and cut him / let him retire after 2020 ... the cap impact is negligible.

If we cut Smith right now, we actually add $10m dead hit in 2020 lowering our available cap from $35 to $25 million, which gives us less to roll into 2021 by $10m. But we free up $32m in 2021.

If we cut Smith next off-season, we don't take the $10m hit now, roll over that $10m next year, and when we cut him, free up $22 million ... but the combined rollover of the $10m + $22m we save next year still "nets" us $32m in extra cap space.

So whether we cut Smith today or a year from now, the implication on our cap in 2021 are almost negligible.

Given how Smith seems to be perceived in the front office and in the locker room ... especially now that Keenum is gone and the team is Haskins with a young backup in Allen ... I don't see any reason to force Smith out the door. Take another year of him doing what he did in 2019 and then move on after the season, and let him transition into a FO role if he is interested in it.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Just been reading that the Cardinals might release Haasan Reddick. 2017 first rounder. Had a fairly disastrous time there. 

I recall him being highly regarded back then. Is he purely a 3-4 fit ? Is he damaged goods ? Would he be worth a look if he was available ?

Any views on him?

Interesting! I reallllly liked Riddick coming out. Wasn't he seen as a Sua-type player? A Moneybacker role? LB and S hybrid? I have no idea how he has performed in the pros, though. Definitely would a flyer if the JDR and RR think they can use him.

Here's why I think the Alex Smith trade worked out for us long-term.

1. With AS we were probably a 9-7 to 11-5 team for 2-3 more years. Doubt we'd have done much in the playoffs

2. Injury allowed us to be pretty crappy and get 3 high-valued players in Haskins (future of franchise?), Sweat and Young.

3. We traded away Kendall Fuller, but ended up bringing him back this off-season. All he missed was 2 seasons where he likely would not have made the team that much better. Now he's back.

4. It forced the team to be "frugal" in the 2019 off-season, which allowed us to suck donkey balls in 2019 and get Chase Young

5. Most importantly, it led to the collapse of the franchise, the ouster of Bruce Allen, and the hiring of Ron Rivera

6. Moving on from him next off-season after he plays the mentor role (or moving him into the FO) will leave us with $120+ million in cap space at the perfect time.

Not that I would wish the injury on him by any means, but given the circumstances and how vulnerable that left the franchise, it may end up not being all that awful in the long-run. Especially now that the two bad seasons are behind us and we have something to look forward to.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interesting! I reallllly liked Riddick coming out. Wasn't he seen as a Sua-type player? A Moneybacker role? LB and S hybrid? I have no idea how he has performed in the pros, though. Definitely would a flyer if the JDR and RR think they can use him.

he’s been bad at OLB an ILB by all accounts. Still intrigued by it though.

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Wasn't the issue with Reddick that he was having trouble with the playbook and trouble diagnosing?? I know he has the speed and pedigree, but that's my recollection. They were ready ot be done with him shortly after they drafted him.

not really sure, just curious on opinions really as it seems he pretty much done in ARI

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

not really sure, just curious on opinions really as it seems he pretty much done in ARI

I don't see why you don't kick the tires. Rivera wants to get faster on defense and go attack-mode. Riddick could offer that. I think he was undersized and fast, which is why he fell into the tweener range. I think I wanted him in the 1st round in a trade-down that year. Then Allen fell and I totally forgot about the guy

A few ppl have expressed a desire for Logan Ryan, but isn't he more of a slot cb?  I'd prefer d dennard who can play both inside and out.  He offers the versatility the Redskins have been seeking. His agreement with Jax fell thru after it was reported he agreed to 3 yr 13.5 mil, so if we had to bump it to 3 yr 16 mil, sounds like a good deal for me.  

The question becomes, would you sign a 28 yr old dennard if it meant cutting d Johnson / g stroman, or would you rather try to develop the younger guys.  I'd vote to bring in dennard at that price and let it all be sorted out during TC / preseason.  Competition and camp battles are good.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Any views on him?

Great prospect coming out, played with Matt the Greek at Temple.  Would probably be a 4-3 will, but I don't know where to slot our current lbs, so I don't know if we need one or already have 5.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's why I think the Alex Smith trade worked out for us long-term.

1. With AS we were probably a 9-7 to 11-5 team for 2-3 more years. Doubt we'd have done much in the playoffs

2. Injury allowed us to be pretty crappy and get 3 high-valued players in Haskins (future of franchise?), Sweat and Young.

3. We traded away Kendall Fuller, but ended up bringing him back this off-season. All he missed was 2 seasons where he likely would not have made the team that much better. Now he's back.

4. It forced the team to be "frugal" in the 2019 off-season, which allowed us to suck donkey balls in 2019 and get Chase Young

5. Most importantly, it led to the collapse of the franchise, the ouster of Bruce Allen, and the hiring of Ron Rivera

6. Moving on from him next off-season after he plays the mentor role (or moving him into the FO) will leave us with $120+ million in cap space at the perfect time.

Not that I would wish the injury on him by any means, but given the circumstances and how vulnerable that left the franchise, it may end up not being all that awful in the long-run. Especially now that the two bad seasons are behind us and we have something to look forward to.

Agreed 100%.  I posted something similar a few months back that we as a fanbase need to stop complaining about the Alex smith trade, bc it has been blown out of proportion.  Your points validate that argument.

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Wasn't the issue with Reddick that he was having trouble with the playbook and trouble diagnosing?? I know he has the speed and pedigree, but that's my recollection. They were ready ot be done with him shortly after they drafted him.

Was this a David Amerson like reason, one that getting cut may motivate him?

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

not if he’s not bright enough to learn a playbook or read signals 

Well, hard to learn playbook when you play video games and watch zero film.  I was wondering if it's ability to learn playbook or no effort to learn playbook.  That's what I meant.

12 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

no chance we should give a third for OJ Howard.

If the Pats didn’t want him, then draft 2 TEs in the third, trading up BOTH time using extra picks, something doesn’t stack. 

Also, aren’t you just getting a one year rental for a 3rd rounder unless you commit to pay his 5th year option value, or extend him? Quite the risk with little proven production thus far.

Yes, they would have to redo his contact.  I don't know what RR/Smith are going to do but reports and they could be false were saying a TW trade with the Bucs was in place at one point in time before it got squashed.  

As for TE and I know I’m in the minority here, I really think Moss may  be the guy. Is he fast no, but he blocks like a beast and has solid hands. Reminds me a lot of the Steelers Heath Miller. He will make the squad and he will produce.

49 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So lucky we avoided this mess...

how can a millionaire not have a driver's license?

what a dumbass. Hopefully he learns from it.

Rivera & co. dodged a bullet on that one, guess they knew what they were doing chasing Fuller and not Bree.

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

how can a millionaire not have a driver's license?

what a dumbass. Hopefully he learns from it.

Rivera & co. dodged a bullet on that one, guess they knew what they were doing chasing Fuller and not Bree.

In all fairness, these charges are dumb, but not severe either. Marijuana, I don’t know the rules in terms of SC, alcohol with a broken seal? Please. I’ve driven a thousand times accidentally forgetting my license. The only one that seems consequential is resisting arrest. 

I doubt this turns into anything severe.

Cowboys signed CB Daryl Worley, formerly of the Raiders.

The Cowboys are desperate for secondary help even after spending two top-125 picks on corners in the 2020 NFL Draft. Worley, 25, will be in line to compete for a starting job this summer and has something others in the corner group don't have -- experience. Worley has started 49 games across his four NFL seasons after being selected in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Among 83 corner qualifiers, Worley ranked 46th in PFF's 2019 grades and allowed 9.0 yards per target.

Archived