Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Flowers plucked, Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, S Sean Davis, RB McKissic, TE Logan Thomas OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), TE Rodgers, RB P. Barber, LB Davis, OL Vujnovich, Darb

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If being  a "starter in the NFL", is a player's greatest highlight on his resume, that's not a lot to get excited about.

Truth is, Pittsburgh considered him a disappointment

I happen to disagree, considering it means you're good enough to keep other NFL players from being starters

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So CB looks like:

CB: Darby - Moreland

SCB: Fuller

CB: Moreau - Stroman

Long term we need CB since Darby and Moreau are not under contract past 2020 but I think we will add a guy in the draft. But now we don’t HAVE to 

No evidence to base this on but I have a feeling Moreau's going to emerge as a really solid corner.

The physical tools are definitely there.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, carex said:

I happen to disagree, considering it means you're good enough to keep other NFL players from being starters

Montae Nicholson kept other players from being starters.

A year later, he is without a team.

So, what I'm saying is, that's a very low bar to set, to measure a player.

I see nothing in his play that suggests he could be more than an average safety, if that.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Montae Nicholson kept other players from being starters.

A year later, he is without a team.

I see nothing in his play that suggests he could be more than an average safety, if that.

average is good enough for now

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If being  a "starter in the NFL", is a player's greatest highlight on his resume, that's not a lot to get excited about.

Truth is, Pittsburgh considered him a disappointment

I'm not sure we would have the draft capital.  

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/28/21197379/smart-teams-should-be-calling-carolina-about-curtis-samuel

Compensation

Samuel was drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft. It’s hard to imagine Carolina getting that type of compensation for him now. The Panthers just signed Robby Anderson to a new deal, so it makes sense why Samuel is on the “trading block,” with Carolina recently investing a first-round pick at wide receiver in D.J. Moore.

This could be a draft-day trade where the 49ers move back from No. 31 and acquire more a third or fourth-round pick. Darius Slay went for a third and a fifth, and he’s one of the most established players at a premier position in the league. If I can get Samuel for a Day 3 pick, I’m pulling the trigger on that deal immediately. If the Panthers want a third and another Day 3 pick, be my guest. He’s that good. Don’t be fooled by his stats. That’s a Kyle Allen issue, not a Curtis Samuel issue. If you need to deal a pick in 2021 to get this deal done, so be it.

Edited by HigSkin
4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm not sure we would have the draft capital.  

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/28/21197379/smart-teams-should-be-calling-carolina-about-curtis-samuel

Compensation

Samuel was drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft. It’s hard to imagine Carolina getting that type of compensation for him now. The Panthers just signed Robby Anderson to a new deal, so it makes sense why Samuel is on the “trading block,” with Carolina recently investing a first-round pick at wide receiver in D.J. Moore.

This could be a draft-day trade where the 49ers move back from No. 31 and acquire more a third or fourth-round pick. Darius Slay went for a third and a fifth, and he’s one of the most established players at a premier position in the league. If I can get Samuel for a Day 3 pick, I’m pulling the trigger on that deal immediately. If the Panthers want a third and another Day 3 pick, be my guest. He’s that good. Don’t be fooled by his stats. That’s a Kyle Allen issue, not a Curtis Samuel issue. If you need to deal a pick in 2021 to get this deal done, so be it.

You may be confusing him with Jaylen Samuel. Curtis put up pretty solid numbers considering he was basically the number 4 option and had Kyle Allen as his QB

1 hour ago, carex said:

with the linebackers we currently have I could see everyone but Norris and Anderson, who could end up making it as a DE, making the team really and us carrying 7 LB

We are stacked at linebacker and unfortunately someone is going to get cut.  I too think we will easily carry 7 LB's simply because of injury concerns.

I think Bostic starts at the Mike and Hamilton will back him up.  Ideally I think they would love to start Holcomb at the MIKE because he's so smart and athletic, but he's too talented.  I think he's going to be a stud at the WILL.  He can just chase, cover, and tackle and be free from taking on blocks.  Reuben will back him up.  Finally, the SAM position is tough....I think Ryan Anderson will take the position and not give it up.  But it could be a position where Reuben can get healthy and take over.  Reuben is very strong, blitzes well, but he seems to operate like Lawrence Taylor, wide open, wild dog type of a player who misses assignments.  Hopefully Thomas Davis and Del Rio can help him figure it out. 

WILL:  Holcomb     Foster     Pierre Louis

MIKE:  Bostic         Hamilton   Norris

SAM:   Anderson   Davis

So are the Redskins in a rebuild or are they (in around about way) starting a new franchise? This is literally tryouts at every position outside of the DL, McClaurin and the kickers. The Redskins are pulling in young experience players on one year deals to tryout for the team. Some will make it and gain longer contracts and some will find themselves on the market. Its obvious this new staff does not believe the current players can simply be coached up to compete at the level they'd like.

Edited by joeken24
add
16 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

We are stacked at linebacker and unfortunately someone is going to get cut.  I too think we will easily carry 7 LB's simply because of injury concerns.

I think Bostic starts at the Mike and Hamilton will back him up.  Ideally I think they would love to start Holcomb at the MIKE because he's so smart and athletic, but he's too talented.  I think he's going to be a stud at the WILL.  He can just chase, cover, and tackle and be free from taking on blocks.  Reuben will back him up.  Finally, the SAM position is tough....I think Ryan Anderson will take the position and not give it up.  But it could be a position where Reuben can get healthy and take over.  Reuben is very strong, blitzes well, but he seems to operate like Lawrence Taylor, wide open, wild dog type of a player who misses assignments.  Hopefully Thomas Davis and Del Rio can help him figure it out. 

We aren't stacked at LB. At all. We have a lot of players and zero standout players unless Foster returns to form, which we shouldn't be counting on.

I don't love that depth chart. If Foster is healthy, he starts. If not, he will be on the IR.

It does seem like Rivera and JDR do really like Holcomb, since they singled him out to mention as a versatile player that could be moved around to play different roles in different defensive sets.

Anderson isn't a SAM. He can't cover. He'll be a backup pass rusher, if he makes the roster. He was terribly over drafted. I'd rather see Brailford get a chance at SAM than Anderson. 

I think Thomas Davis may get the nod at SAM. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Who else do you have in mind?

At FS? Fuller against 2 WR sets. When teams go 3 wide or if they have a really good move TE Fuller will likely come down to slot CB and Davis go to FS.

• Like 2

Did I see someone say we’re stacked at linebacker? Sweet sassafrass!

Assuming all players are healthy...

Id say: Foster at MIKE, KPL at SAM, Davis at WILL. Holcomb SAM2, Bostic MIKE2, SDH WILL2. 

Maybe JHC over Bostic. We’ll see how Chuck Norris works out.

If healthy, the unit is... adequate. But one is an older gentleman, one hasn’t played in more than a couple years and one is a virtual unknown as the starters. 

We need a MIKE to give us flexibility at SAM. Foster can play the SAM. KPL may be able to play MIKE, but id love Kenneth Murray (not happening), and I’d be MORE than happy with Logan Wilson or Shaq Quarterman in the draft for that spot. 

I’m still uneasy there.

But I think free safety is our largest issue now defensively. Sean Davis may be okay, but depth at safety is a major question mark.

38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

At FS? Fuller against 2 WR sets. When teams go 3 wide or if they have a really good move TE Fuller will likely come down to slot CB and Davis go to FS.

Yeah. I think this may be the plan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KDawg, I also see a need for an upgrade at MLB. I think that's a position that JDR/Rivera would love to upgrade the front 7. A healthy Foster at that spot would change the whole complexion of the defense, but I'd settle for Logan Wilson if he drops. I can't see us lucking into Kenneth Murray. Akeem Davis-Gaither could be a long term solution at WILL in the 3rd or later. 

I'm struggling with Holcomb. The coaching staff singled him out for his versatility, but I wish he covered better. Maybe he could make a jump under the new coaching staff. 

• Like 2

Akeem Davis-Gaither is my dude. He’d instantly change the dynamic of the defense with him at one of the OLB spots. I just have a feeling we’re not going to take him with our 3rd and he’ll be gone by the 4th. This is one of those times that I hope we are valuing him more than the teams themselves. 

No chance at Murray. 

Wilson or Quarterman. Both would be tremendous upgrades. 

SAM: Foster/Holcomb

MIKE: Rookie/Bostic 

WILL: Davis/KPL

I don’t mind that depth chart. It’s not fantastic. But it’s passable. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

We aren't stacked at LB. At all. We have a lot of players and zero standout players unless Foster returns to form, which we shouldn't be counting on.

I don't love that depth chart. If Foster is healthy, he starts. If not, he will be on the IR.

It does seem like Rivera and JDR do really like Holcomb, since they singled him out to mention as a versatile player that could be moved around to play different roles in different defensive sets.

Anderson isn't a SAM. He can't cover. He'll be a backup pass rusher, if he makes the roster. He was terribly over drafted. I'd rather see Brailford get a chance at SAM than Anderson. 

I think Thomas Davis may get the nod at SAM. 

Don't we still have Cassanova Mckenzie? I never see anyone mention his name. Seemed like a decent pass rusher. 

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

This is literally tryouts at every position outside of the DL, McClaurin and the kickers.

As it should be.

All coach Rivera knows about this team is what he sees on film, and the fact that they were 3-13 last season.

A miserable 3-13.

As far as he is concerned, these aren't his guys he hired. They are players he inherited from a poor regime.

With these "tryouts", Rivera will find out if he can make them his guys.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

As it should be.

All coach Rivera knows about this team is what he sees on film, and the fact that they were 3-13 last season.

A miserable 3-13.

As far as he is concerned, these aren't his guys he hired. They are players he inherited from a poor regime.

Spot on Guy!

This is how you change the “culture”. Bring in young hungry guys who have enough experience to understand what it takes to make a roster. Players that with solid coaching could go from good to great. Competition at every spot. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Spot on Guy!

This is how you change the “culture”. Bring in young hungry guys who have enough experience to understand what it takes to make a roster. Players that with solid coaching could go from good to great. Competition at every spot. 

But, the culture is damn good!

I still laugh every time I hear/say that, and then have the urge to club a baby seal!

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So CB looks like:

CB: Darby - Moreland

SCB: Fuller

CB: Moreau - Stroman

Long term we need CB since Darby and Moreau are not under contract past 2020 but I think we will add a guy in the draft. But now we don’t HAVE to 

I don’t think they brought Fuller in strictly for slot work. Starts outside and slides inside 

3 hours ago, Poindexter said:

Jesus I don’t think it could get any worse than that. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Darby is getting paid 4 million, if i recall the tweet said it maxes out to that.  Rapoport said 3 million.  I'd presume it would take incentives to get to 4.

I take this off season as them thinking its not about 2020 but 2021, so lets not kill the cap, and see what we can pull off on the cheap and if we swing and miss no biggie but the cap hits are minimal in 2021.

Pure speculation, but I don’t envision much of a change in philosophy from Ron and company in the coming off-seasons. It appears they’re a group that’s largely going to depend on the draft, hard workers, and if a “core 8” type player presents itself in the open market and it aligns with a need a pursuit will take place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Pure speculation, but I don’t envision much of a change in philosophy from Ron and company in the coming off-seasons. It appears they’re a group that’s largely going to depend on the draft, hard workers, and if a “core 8” type player presents itself in the open market and it aligns with a need a pursuit will take place. 

I like this approach knowing when the time is right, Snyder will sign a blank check with Rivera being able to make the decisions for who fits the team best. 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

As it should be.

A miserable 3-13.

Boom!

• Like 1

So the focus seems to be on defense. Of course they've added some pieces on offense but I think besides TE, these are depth pickups in hopes that Darrius, Bryce, Harmon and a few others workout. But we had too many busted plays on defense to lead me to believe we had smart team players last year. Further, accountability stunk. I remember Allen going off on the sideline (which I thought was warranted), only to see Trent step in and try to calm him down. Like I said when it happened....Trent was used to losing. I liked Trent as a player. But there is something to be said about a winning culture and how players on winning teams expect excellence. I've seen the GOAT (Brady) go off on folks on the sideline. That's what I want from this team. From the QB to the waterboy. But back to my point....this defense failed in assignment football. I have a feeling that will change this year. We've already seen starters released while still under contract. Didn't even make it to camp. Get 'em Ron and Jack!

• Like 1