Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

At this point, I'd rather have a guy brought in with low expectations and fail, than to bring a guy with high expectations and bust. That's been what it is for a while. With that said, we've damn near acquired 13 new players with maybe one with medium expectations in Fuller. We also have ~6 new guys coming in the door via a draft. Someone out this bunch is going to shine. Rio is right when he says that everyone in the league is good. They just need to be put in positions to succeed. I'm good.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

With the exception of last year, for the past four years, we have been a borderline playoff team. A team in which the playoffs came down to the last game of the season. Last year, the wheels fell off the cart. So, while the Redskins are far from the sexiest team in the league I don't know that I see them as bottom of the barrel either, especially if Rivera has the reputation we believe he does.

They made the playoffs only two times the last decade...

they are bottom of the barrel 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

With the exception of last year, for the past four years, we have been a borderline playoff team. A team in which the playoffs came down to the last game of the season. Last year, the wheels fell off the cart. So, while the Redskins are far from the sexiest team in the league I don't know that I see them as bottom of the barrel either, especially if Rivera has the reputation we believe he does.

Yep, even in 2018 if we had a better DC or the refs not made a bad call (admitted by the NFL front office) in the Houston game, the last game of the season would have been a win and we are in situation in the last game even with all the injuries.  If the front office (coaching staff?) had made some better calls, rumour is we might have been in a couple of more games.

31 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd be thrilled if he only cost a 5th. Dude is a legit weapon. 

Another 4.3 guy opposite of Mclaurin plus whoever they pick up in the draft? yes please.

He had some drops/fumble issues iirc, but he's a legit weapon. Dude hurt us pretty bad until that big fumble last year.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know how much you can put the quarterback situation on Gruden. He seemed okay with Cousins, Bruce played the negotiation game and lost on that one. Then he panicked and snagged Smith, who Jay likes, who got a career ending injury.

Jay should have been fired after 2018, but our owner and GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided it was best to bring him back, Draft a raw quarterback who needed attention and to hand the keys to the raw (and talented) QB to a guy looking to save his job. 

I think Jay and Haskins were both victims of our ****ty regime.

Jay Gruden's best year came when it looked like Bruce Allen was on his way down politically in the organization (Jay had no problem benching RG3 for Kirk which I believe was embarrassing for Allen).  I do think he was happy with Kirk and Bruce dropped the ball (that is the nicest way to put it) here.  2019 was playoffs or get fired for Jay but Bruce could possible save himself for a year if he brings in a QB (further if Case or Colt had taken the Redskins to the playoffs or even close, that would have been a bad look for Bruce). Bruce screwed Jay one last time (along with the Trent thing) and Jay pretty much threw in the towel. Not that Jay was blameless, our "best" DC in his time was probably Haslett and he was heavily involved in picking all 3.

25 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They made the playoffs only two times the last decade...

they are bottom of the barrel 

Same playoff record and number of playoff wins as the Cowboys. No one talks about the Cowboys as being bottom of the barrel. I know it's fashionable to be down on this team and negative, the the team hasn't been horrible.

It's been blah. Now, to me, in some respects blah is even worse than terrible, but still... the Redskins aren't terrible. They're just an afterthought. On the other hand, during the Shanny years, except for the magic RGIII season, the Redskins were horrible.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

he’s actually my WR choice later in the draft. Different player to Samuel though. 

KJ is a little taller ( not much) but the best route runner outside of Jeudy in this draft imo. One look at McLaurin is all you need to see what great route running can do in the pros. I would rather just wait and see if he falls to rd 4. 

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Same playoff record and number of playoff wins as the Cowboys. No one talks about the Cowboys as being bottom of the barrel. I know it's fashionable to be down on this team and negative, the the team hasn't been horrible.

It's been blah. Now, to me, in some respects blah is even worse than terrible, but still... the Redskins aren't terrible. They're just an afterthought. On the other hand, during the Shanny years, except for the magic RGIII season, the Redskins were horrible.

Yeah but, bro, it makes me sick to say this, but the Cowboys fans have had reason to be excited for a bunch more seasons than we have.  Our head coach was fired because we sucked and weren't on our way up; their coach was fired because they weren't all the way at the top.

In the past decade we've had some of the worst seasons in my third of a century of being a fan.  Like, brings you down two weeks at a time, makes you give up your season tickets, makes the pain disappear (to answer the "Hurt" quote a page or two back), and makes FedEx a ninth home game for every team that comes.  It doesn't have to be reflected in the record, but it usually is.

I can understand if, dollars being basically equal, a player choosing elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

KJ is a little taller ( not much) but the best route runner outside of Jeudy in this draft imo. One look at McLaurin is all you need to see what great route running can do in the pros. I would rather just wait and see if he falls to rd 4. 

I agree I’m a fan of Hill.

4.3 v 4.6 makes them different though.

17 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Dallas won a playoff game in 2018. Skins last won one during the Bush administration.

listen, **** Dallas and all that but it’s incredibly naive to compare the Skins to a team that while no real playoff success, has won 10+ games three times in past 6 seasons and has a 7-1 record against us since Dak and Zeke came into the league.

That line of thinking is exactly how we get “we’re close” sound bites and rookie QBs foisted on head coaches that are expected to immediately win.  

the first step to changing the culture is admitting how terrible it is. On the field and off it. 

E68B3942-4145-44D0-9AE6-2BE25A87BB8C.png

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah but, bro, it makes me sick to say this, but the Cowboys fans have had reason to be excited for a bunch more seasons than we have.  Our head coach was fired because we sucked and weren't on our way up; their coach was fired because they weren't all the way at the top.

Oh sure. We're pretty irrelevant as a team and I am not going to argue this team has been much fun. It hasn't. It's been generally miserable to watch, but the Kirk Cousins' years and even the Smith year were average. They were bad average where you felt like their ceiling was that 8-8 or maybe 9-7 if the other team's plane crashed.

Still, if I look at this roster and I look at the young receivers. If I look at the D Line. If I look at Holcomb. If I look at a number of other positions, I see hope. More, I think coaching cost us at least 2-3 games a year. Discipline cost another (maybe that's part of coaching), and injuries about fifty-three games a year. If with Bruce gone, we start recruiting and drafting players likely to player more games a year than they are on IR. We have some cool stuff to build on.

I don't think the league sees it that way because to the league the Redskins are not bad. They're irrelevant. They're not worth talking about. That's why 'skins fans stopped going to games. Fans can support a bad team. It's hard to support an irrelevant one.

Just now, Burgold said:

Oh sure. We're pretty irrelevant as a team and I am not going to argue this team has been much fun. It hasn't. It's been generally miserable to watch, but the Kirk Cousins' years and even the Smith year were average. They were bad average where you felt like their ceiling was that 8-8 or maybe 9-7 if the other team's plane crashed.

Still, if I look at this roster and I look at the young receivers. If I look at the D Line. If I look at Holcomb. If I look at a number of other positions, I see hope. More, I think coaching cost us at least 2-3 games a year. Discipline cost another (maybe that's part of coaching), and injuries about fifty-three games a year. If with Bruce gone, we start recruiting and drafting players likely to player more games a year than they are on IR. We have some cool stuff to build on.

I don't think the league sees it that way because to the league the Redskins are not bad. They're irrelevant. They're not worth talking about. That's why 'skins fans stopped going to games. Fans can support a bad team. It's hard to support an irrelevant one.

I get you, I do, you're not crazy in what you're saying.  It's just that we are so, SO far removed from sustained success/realistic expectation of success that we're basically unfamiliar with what it's like to actually BE good.  Just using the Cowboys as an example, they got to see a meteoric rise of a nobody into a franchise QB while we got to watch a shooting star; a meteor whose brief excellence was outshined by its flaming out before it could make a real impact.

We suck, hard.  We have for a while.  When we're good, man, we are GOOD.  The 1999, 2005, 2012, and even 2015 could really have been something special if they didn't get tripped up where they did.  It's just that when we are good, we're setting ourselves up for disappointment in 2000, 2006, 2013, and 2016.  Maybe not always terrible record-wise, but if I'm a fan or FA, I'm heartbroken or wanting to avoid my heart being broken.

Hopefully it turns around, hopefully this is no longer true, but until we get three or so years of being competitive in a row, we're just not an ideal landing spot for our fans' cash or a FA regardless of the cash. 

Oh, we were miles from good under Gruden. Strangely, I don't think we are miles from good with him gone. I think the D has a chance to be immediately good. I think the offense already has the POTENTIAL (gosh, I hate that word) to be interesting. So, if Del Rio can elevate this D from an F that bordered on a Q to a B and Turner can take a offense that was a D/D- to a C or C+ then we'll speak differently about our 'skins.

But as of last year, and as of the entire Gruden era, we were not horrible, but still miles distant from good.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

he signed for 10.5mil p/y. I think we’d have stretched tbh, he preferred Mayfield.

Losing him because he preferred Mayfield makes the most sense but those numbers in the tweet are light for a team negotiating from a position of weakness. IMO

So interesting that he preferred Mayfield. Everybody in league circles knows that Zampese was running that passing attack once Gregg took over. It ain't gonna be the same with Stefanski. Some assistants look like gold because of the people they're working under. For Stefanski it's been Shurmur, Norv and, most recently, Kubiak. We'll see how he does it on his on. I know AVP is the titular OC in Cleveland, but it's gonna be Stefanski's offense, whatever that is. We'll soon find out. I think Turner and Zampese are going to have our aerial attack on point.

I don't think we're in any position to criticize another teams QB, coaching, front office or ownership. If Hooper thinks Cleveland is a better fit for him, so be it. It's not like he picked Cleveland over the Brady led Patriots. He picked the Browns over the Redskins. Totally makes sense. Redskins suck.

Archived