Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We had one of the highest available salary caps in the league, yet we're signing bargain basement FA's and trading for bargain basements ?

Someone explain.

Where is the talent that is going to win games.

Chase Young alone is not going to account for a lot of wins.

We must be tanking this year.

Which available players would you have gone after and did said player(s) want to play in DC?  If they did how much were they asking for?

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ron failed in Carolina with Carolina staff and Carolina players and Carolina FO.

So in Washington, he brings in Carolina FO, Carolina, staff, and Caroiina players he lost with.

Do we really think that the remaining 3-13 Washington players will make a difference playing with the losing Carolina players, coaches, and FO ?

This isn't really telling the whole story.

I wouldn't call Ron's tenure in Carolina a failure.  Not at all.

Second, he doesn't have the year he had last year if Cam isn't hurt.  

I think a 3-13 team here needs discipline and has some decent core talent.  Not a ton of talent, but some good pieces that need to be disciplined.  Club Jay wasn't getting it done.  Ron isn't messing around, that's what's needed.  

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now we know why Dunbar wants out

🙄 Dunbar wanted out.

Dude has missed half the games he was eligible to play in.

He even stupidly said he would have missed more if not for the 'untrustworthy' trainers. 

I do agree he is underpaid but his approach wasn't the proper approach especially with a totally new front office and coaching staff. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

We had one of the highest available salary caps in the league, yet we're signing bargain basement FA's and trading for bargain basements ?

Someone explain.

We wanted Cooper and got outbid.  You can't panic and then overspend on someone else just because you miss your guy.  That's how you get into trouble.  If you don't get your guy at your number, you move on.  If we had signed Cooper at the deal we offered, that would have been $27.5 million less in cap space and everyone would be talking about how we have one of the best WR tandems in the league.  He elected to stay in Dallas (for the same money when you factor in taxes).  Does that mean you say to yourself "welp, we have an extra $25 million, lets spend it on someone else who don't believe in as much?"  No you can't do that.  Flowers got $10 mil a year!  AS A CONVERTED GUARD WHO PLAYED 1 'better than expected' season.  Scherff got TAGGED for $14 mil!  Olsen got 2 / $17 mil.  Are we supposed to pay $8.5 mil to Greg Olsen?  

Come on guys, I get the struggle and frustration, but we can't overspend just because we have money.  That's terrible business practice.  We are not 1 piece away, so overspending on ANY piece is a problem.  Set prices for the guys you want, and if they end up getting more than you're willing to spend, you move on.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We wanted Cooper and got outbid.  You can't panic and then overspend on someone else just because you miss your guy.  That's how you get into trouble.  If you don't get your guy at your number, you move on.  If we had signed Cooper at the deal we offered, that would have been $27.5 million less in cap space and everyone would be talking about how we have one of the best WR tandems in the league.  He elected to stay in Dallas (for the same money when you factor in taxes).  Does that mean you say to yourself "welp, we have an extra $25 million, lets spend it on someone else who don't believe in as much?"  No you can't do that.  Flowers got $10 mil a year!  AS A CONVERTED GUARD WHO PLAYED 1 'better than expected' season.  Scherff got TAGGED for $14 mil!  Olsen got 2 / $17 mil.  Are we supposed to pay $8.5 mil to Greg Olsen?  

Come on guys, I get the struggle and frustration, but we can't overspend just because we have money.  That's terrible business practice.  We are not 1 piece away, so overspending on ANY piece is a problem.  Set prices for the guys you want, and if they end up getting more than you're willing to spend, you move on.  

I haven't been in this thread for awhile.  But what's going on here?

People ****ing about blowing money on high priced free agents for years?  And then ****ing about about not signing high priced free agents this year?

7 minutes ago, RedskinsFanInSanAntonio said:

KA was killing it for my fantasy for a few weeks last season. So he can definitely ball. Don't get the hate for the trade.

I don't think anyone here hates Kyle Allen, it was just what was given for him.  

Allen is probably better than any backup we've had here for awhile.  At least there's UPSIDE with him.  Colt, you knew what you had.  

14 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Man ES just LOVES to Hate. How can anyone be mad at this move. 5th rounder for a QB that isnt a threat to Haskins and can actually help teach him the system. He is a really good and cheap back up QB. In fact one of our main problems has been injuries and depth and I have seen up fixing depth and leadership. You can not expect the team to be fixed in one offseason. Skins will have money next offseason since they didnt over spend on players. I'm happy with our moves. I did wish to get Hooper but that's okay. 

All in all I'm in agreement. However, that 5th rounder is a spot in this year's draft where there is going to be talent available that could help this roster. 

Again, the move for Allen himself is fine. It's just not easy to swallow it being for a 5th rounder vs., say, a 7th. 

Allen was the third QB on the roster most likely. The Panthers have Bridgewater and PJ Walker. We probably could have waited it out and gotten Allen for nothing if cut, or signed a guy in FA such as Bortles/Matt Moore.

We'll see how the move pans out. Not loving it, not hating it. But it IS my least favorite move thus far. 

You can not expect the team to be fixed in one offseason.

Which is why giving up a 5th rounder in a CB/WR deep draft is a tougher pill to swallow. Of course, that's just in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Someone explain.

Or we just don't like to many of the people available in free agency

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't love it because I want more picks not less.   Having said that, I presume Turner knows Kyle Allen well so I am guessing he pushed this.  Will see. 

Counter point: we need a backup QB, and a 5th round pick is typically a special team player at best their rookie year and MIGHT develop into a rotational starter.  Most likely out of the league and won't get a second contract within 3 years.

For a 5th round pick, you get a QB who knows the system, so if it happens that all workouts are canceled through July (which I think is very likely), you have somebody who knows the system who can start.  Haskins won't have taken 1 snap in a new offense until Training camp.  

There's a greater chance Kyle Allen sticks than a random 5th round pick. And he's pretty young and cheap.  

I like the move.  KA has value to the Redskins.  Knows the system and the OC.  Has valuable experience and has a $585K salary.  Backup quarterback is a very importance position, and the price is a lot less expensive than a lot of us are making it out to be.  Good move.

1 minute ago, carex said:

Or we just don't like to many of the people available in free agency

Yeah, this.  I think you gotta spend when you're a playoff team and you can identify a guy or two that can help put you over the top.  We aren't there yet.  I know it's tempting to say we've got a lot of cap room, we need to spend but they still need to lay down a foundation before doing so, IMO.

Statistical verdict on Kyle Allen: below average

If you had looked at Allen’s college resume and said that would land him a starting job in the NFL when he declared for the 2018 NFL draft, you may have been laughed at. Across three partial seasons at Texas A&M and Houston in which he tallied 1,183 offensive snaps, Allen posted an overall PFF grade of 58.8. His best season came as a sophomore at Texas A&M, but even then, Allen played just 569 snaps and recorded a grade of 66.5.

The PFF grading scale has two metrics that attempt to capture the extremes of quarterback play: big-time throws and turnover-worthy plays. Big-time throws are well-placed passes deep downfield and/or into tight windows, while turnover-worthy plays are exactly what the name suggests – passes that should be intercepted (regardless of the outcome) and fumbles that fall on the quarterback for being careless.

Over his college career, Allen had 22 big-time throws compared to 34 turnover-worthy plays. Giving the defense continued chances at turnovers like he was doing is not a recipe for long-term success.

Allen found a spot in the NFL, signing with the Panthers as an undrafted free agent prior to last season. Since then, all he has done is win – five games in a row as the starter to be exact. It’s easy to conflate the Panthers’ success in his starts with Allen’s performance at QB. After all, winning is all that matters, right?

It’s difficult to win on a consistent basis with below-average play from a starting QB. Despite what Allen’s 106.6 passer rating suggests, his performance this season has qualified as below average. He owns just the 24th-highest PFF grade at the position through the first seven weeks of the season.

It’s not as if he hasn’t provided the high-level plays that pique your interest. Allen ranks eighth among quarterbacks in big-time throw rate, trailing some of the top quarterbacks in the league in Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Patrick Mahomes and Matthew Stafford. The issue is that he is pairing those highs with plenty of lows, especially when it comes to accuracy.

Since 2016, PFF has charted ball location data on all pass attempts. This season, Allen ranks 30th out of 32 quarterbacks in the percentage of his passes that were deemed to have accurate ball location (50 percent) and 30th in the percentage of his targeted passes that have been uncatchable (24.5 percent).

In the long term, that isn’t going to cut it.

He has been good enough over the Panthers’ four-game winning streak that he isn’t costing them games, but Allen also isn’t actively winning them any games. It’s important that the Panthers don’t mistake the former for the latter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dont-be-fooled-by-kyle-allens-qb-record-pff-gives-him-below-average-marks-153812820.html

Archived