Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly what I said when news hit. There was literally no way to get compensation in a trade other than cap space, and that would be bought with picks, multiple picks, and I expected a first. Am kinda shocked teams were considering day 2 picks in a trade. If I was the redskins, I would've offered to take the deal for their 2nd, and a 2021 2nd, but that's about it. 

Something to consider, when we trade Trent Williams, we'll have the 3rd most cap space in the NFL.  Spare cap space rolls over to the next off-season.

If you check out our competition, the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are projected to have like 1/3 to 1/2 our 2021 cap space.  Alex Smith will be cut or retired at that point, further increasing cap space.

Haskins and this current Redskins organization are an unknown to free agents.  That makes the team less attractive for free agents.  But if Rivera, Del Rio, and our new "GM" Kyle Smith prove to be competent again, as they have been in the past, then that makes us more attractive to free agents.  If Haskins keeps playing/improving as he did towards the end of his rookie season, then that'll also make us more attractive to free agents.

So we're going into the 2021 off-season with free agents thinking the team is more of a sure thing...and an absolute TON OF CAP SPACE.  How is this bad?  How are some of you angry at this situation?

Who is our new offensive line coach? They must think pretty highly of him cause he is getting about 1000 lbs of backup meat to mold into starters or potential starters given any injuries. RR must REALLY like our young guys cause he's not replacing many of them. 

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Exactly what I said when news hit. There was literally no way to get compensation in a trade other than cap space, and that would be bought with picks, multiple picks, and I expected a first. Am kinda shocked teams were considering day 2 picks in a trade. If I was the redskins, I would've offered to take the deal for their 2nd, and a 2021 2nd, but that's about it. 

His cap hit is pretty low in a couple years. I would have taken a 2nd or even two 3rds.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Something to consider, when we trade Trent Williams, we'll have the 3rd most cap space in the NFL.  Spare cap space rolls over to the next off-season.

If you check out our competition, the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are projected to have like 1/3 to 1/2 our 2021 cap space.  Alex Smith will be cut or retired at that point, further increasing cap space.

Haskins and this current Redskins organization are an unknown to free agents.  That makes the team less attractive for free agents.  But if Rivera, Del Rio, and our new "GM" Kyle Smith prove to be competent again, as they have been in the past, then that makes us more attractive to free agents.  If Haskins keeps playing/improving as he did towards the end of his rookie season, then that'll also make us more attractive to free agents.

So we're going into the 2021 off-season with free agents thinking the team is more of a sure thing...and an absolute TON OF CAP SPACE.  How is this bad?  How are some of you angry at this situation?

Because we will be 3-13 again or worse at that point with a major question mark at the most important stop on the team. 

11 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Understandable seeing that he was a drafted NFL QB transitioning to TE only a couple years back. Not many QB can block so he's got a ways to go. But at 6'6 250 and what seems to be a mean streak, I like the pickup.  He'll definitely provide a big target for Haskins.

I am ok with the pick up.  I am not excited about him.  But slim pickings in FA for TE.  So I am cool with it.   Will see.

16 minutes ago, tlazarchick31 said:

Everything rests on Haskins and at this point RR is hanging him out to dry. Give the kid a new piece or two and see how he does with more talent around him. Asking Haskins to elevate the entire team in year two with a worse OL, a giant question mark in the backfield, absolutely nothing at TE and 3 second year WRs who you're praying don't hit a sophomore slump isnt how you analyze your young QB. It's screwing him over. 

Who and what would you give him? Tell me?

In terms of WR's, I don't like anybody, I'd go after WR help in the draft. Deepest Draft since '14, take advantage of it. Guys like Tyler Johnson and Bryan Edwards and Shenault should all come with day 3 discounts due to injury in the latter cases and athleticism issues in the former. 

In terms of TE, I'd go hard after these guys:

David Njoku

Josh Oliver: 

Kahale Warring

Foster Moreau

Gerald Everett

Jonnu Smith

OJ Howard

Ian Thomas

Chris Herndon

In terms of the OL, not a lot that can be done, for now, basically be looking for cut candidates in June and August. 

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have no base. 

Respectfully disagree sir.   We have a solid base of talent/draft capital that ... imo ... has not been maximized.   Not even close.

I blame coaching ... which is why I'm extremely excited about the new staff ... specifically JDR. 

Scherff.  Allen.  Payne.  Ioannidis.  Sweat.  McLaurin.   Collins.     6 positions/7 players solid/well above average/young - ProBowl caliber.      27% of starters.

Haskins.  Sims Jr.   Roullier.  Dunbar.   Martin.   Holcomb.   6 positions projected at least average - slightly above average/young.   27% of starters.

So 54% of probable young starters ... average to slightly above average to well above average/ProBowl types.   

Not including Kerrigan ... Williams and Peterson.   3 positions average to ProBowl talent.    Now up to 68% of starters.

Add in Moreau.  Harmon.  SDH.   3 young with potential for at least average contributors.   

And Guice.  Love.   Foster.   Injured but above average/ProBowl type talented.

And now filling in blanks thru FA with character/work ethic types.

And not including a projected generational talent.

The cupboard is not as bare as is perpetuated.

2 minutes ago, 09 said:

Respectfully disagree sir.   We have a solid base of talent/draft capital that ... imo ... has not been maximized.   Not even close.

I blame coaching ... which is why I'm extremely excited about the new staff ... specifically JDR. 

Scherff.  Allen.  Payne.  Ioannidis.  Sweat.  McLaurin.   Collins.     6 positions/7 players solid/well above average/young - ProBowl caliber.      27% of starters.

Haskins.  Sims Jr.   Roullier.  Dunbar.   Martin.   Holcomb.   6 positions projected at least average - slightly above average/young.   27% of starters.

So 54% of probable young starters ... average to slightly above average to well above average/ProBowl types.   

Not including Kerrigan ... Williams and Peterson.   3 positions average to ProBowl talent.    Now up to 68% of starters.

Add in Moreau.  Harmon.  SDH.   3 young with potential for at least average contributors.   

TOO MUCH LOGIC!

13 minutes ago, tlazarchick31 said:

Because we will be 3-13 again or worse at that point with a major question mark at the most important stop on the team. 

You think Haskins will play worse than he did in the last 5 games of his rookie season?  You think Ron Rivera will be worse than a nervous Jay Gruden?  You think Del Rio will be as bad as Manusky?

We could be 3-13, but for that to happen.  All the things that went wrong in 2019, have to go wrong again.  So, do you think those things will happen?

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You think Haskins will play worse than he did in the last 5 games of his rookie season?  You think Ron Rivera will be worse than a nervous Jay Gruden?  You think Del Rio will be as bad as Manusky?

We could be 3-13, but for that to happen.  All the things that went wrong in 2019, have to go wrong again.  So, do you think those things will happen?

Worse OL, no idea of what the off-season will look like practice wise, 2/3 RBs coming off of knee injuries (Guice twice in 1 season), no TE worth a damn and a complete sophomore WR group that could hit a sophomore slump. Yeah it's not a recipe for him to be successful. Which is why I've been advocating for getting him a piece or two 

38 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This should be pinned to the top every page. 

this is the plan. 

25 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Who and what would you give him? Tell me?

In terms of WR's, I don't like anybody, I'd go after WR help in the draft. Deepest Draft since '14, take advantage of it. Guys like Tyler Johnson and Bryan Edwards and Shenault should all come with day 3 discounts due to injury in the latter cases and athleticism issues in the former. 

In terms of TE, I'd go hard after these guys:

David Njoku

Josh Oliver: 

Kahale Warring

Foster Moreau

Gerald Everett

Jonnu Smith

OJ Howard

Ian Thomas

Chris Herndon

In terms of the OL, not a lot that can be done, for now, basically be looking for cut candidates in June and August. 

Agreed. It seems like Njoku, Warring, Moreau, and Howard would be the easier gets from their teams. Maybe shoot for Warring since there seems to be confusion in Texas right now lol

Tidbit:  As a QB, Logan Thomas ran a 4.61 at combine.  Faster than Hunter Henry (4.68). Same time as Travis Kelce.  I'm not saying that Thomas will be a stud tight end.  Just thought it was an interesting fact for a guy who was 6'6' 250 lbs at the time.

29 minutes ago, 09 said:

HaskinsSims Jr.   Roullier.  Dunbar.   Martin.   Holcomb.   6 positions projected at least average - slightly above average/young.   27% of starters.

I think only Skins fans or Skins media would place the bolded players in the categories you’re using. Especially all those guys in the “average/above average” category. The sample sizes are either too small or their output doesn’t match the description. 

This team has the worst SB odds for a reason and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the consensus worst team in the league prediction heading into August. 

Now those bold players aren’t terrible for the most part so the cupboard isn’t like 2009 bare but it still needs a few more trips to the groceries 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I think only Skins fans or Skins media would place the bolded players in the categories you’re using. Especially all those guys in the “average/above average” category. The sample sizes are either too small or their output doesn’t match the description. 

Ioannidis might have been the best DL we've had for 2 years.  Allen is definitely above average.  

The rest, I agree with you.  

in my opinion, the team should go after one of these running backs:  gurley, freeman, or gordon.  this is the first time i've ever seen good running backs enter the market with no team wanting them.  i like peterson but he's up there in age.  with the health uncertainties of guice and love, i would at least offer one of these running backs an offer.  it's not like when we went after shawn alexander on his decline, yes he was banged up in seattle, but at least with gurley and freeman, they weren't used correctly.  with any of these running backs, this would help haskins improve definitely.

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Because we have none of our young guys signed. That money’s gonna go real fast.

.....can we be honest?? How many of those guys are stone cold  “gotta lock him up yesterday!” players?? 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ioannidis might have been the best DL we've had for 2 years.  Allen is definitely above average.  

The rest, I agree with you.  

I struggled with bolding Ioannidis. You’re right, I’ll take him out

Im still not 100% sure on Allen though. He’s decent but I’m not sure he’s pro bowl level. 

Archived