Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

They're mediocre... Winston has quite a bit of offensive talent and couldn't do anything with it. I live down here and forced to watch Bucs and Dolphins games. He won't lead you to the promise land.

I know. That still doesn't mean he's as bad as Trubiski, and I wouldn't want either btw. But not everything is that simple.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The less quality players we sign, the more likely we are to draft Penei Sewell or Ja'marr Chase next year, so I'm not complaining 😏.

I've had to watch a lot of Ja'marr Chase as I've been watching prospects, what a WR, wow.  But if we are drafting either player it likely meant Haskins is bordering on a bust.  This isn't a loaded roster.   But if they add Chase Young, it's loaded plenty enough to be at least so so if Haskins has a good year. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

They're mediocre... Winston has quite a bit of offensive talent and couldn't do anything with it. I live down here and forced to watch Bucs and Dolphins games. He won't lead you to the promise land.

Offensive talent... for defenses.

dude threw SEVEN pick-sixes last year.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I've had to watch a lot of Ja'marr Chase as I've been watching prospects, what a WR, wow.  But if we are drafting either player it likely meant Haskins is bordering on a bust.  This isn't a loaded roster.   But if they add Chase Young, it's loaded plenty enough to be at least so so if Haskins has a good year. 

Injuries happen.  Bad luck happens.  There have been plenty of teams over the years that have drafted in the top 10 with franchise QBs on their roster.  Teams with better overall rosters than the Redskins currently have.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wins are not a QB stat.  Even Drew Brees has had 6 seasons below .500.

It's definitely possible Haskins looks good and we draft in the top 10.  Hell, weren't you just saying that Kyler looked "light years better" than Haskins last year?  His team is drafting 8th.

8th is a lot different than 2nd. Top Tier QB range is 1-5 usually. So I'm talking top 5 pick to be clear.

And also, I did say Kyler was light years better. And... he was. I didn't say he was top of the league QB, though. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinten Dunbar removed all of his Redskin stuff on Instagram.

Hmmmm.  Maybe he is being traded?

I hope so, so tired of him. That is what we need to rid this team of I like him as a player and wanted it to work out with him now he's with Trent in my book both can get the **** out of here. Let's build a good culture around here make the statement now.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Haskins performs well, this team is going to win games. It's rare you see a quarterback put together a good season and see the team draft low enough to get a top tier QB. I mean, I suppose it could happen, but it's not real likely unless the defense is a total trainwreck and you're losing games 49-35 every week. 

That said, they need to make some moves to support him. Without Trent, the OL is in shambles. The WR position is manned by 3WR coming off their rookie seasons (2 of which were drafted in the 6th round or lower) with no depth behind them, the TE position as it currently stands is non-existent, and the RB corps consists of a retiree and 2 injured, unproven youngsters. It’s hard to imagine that there is a worse supporting cast in football. Likewise the draft is likely targeting D early, and lacks a 2nd round pick, so the likelihood of immediate impact offensive help is minimal. 

Add in that Haskins has a handful of starts, a new offense to learn from a new OC/QBC combo, and likely an abbreviated camp season to do so, and it may be just about as difficult a situation for a soph QB as you’ll find. 

This team needs to give their young QB some help, and so far none seems forthcoming!

2 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:
  4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinten Dunbar removed all of his Redskin stuff on Instagram.

Hmmmm.  Maybe he is being traded?

I hope so, so tired of him. That is what we need to rid this team of I like him as a player and wanted it to work out with him now he's with Trent in my book both can get the **** out of here. Let's build a good culture around here make the statement now.

He went to the Stephon Diggs school of drama but not the Stephon Diggs school of talent.

Just now, KDawg said:

8th is a lot different than 2nd. Top Tier QB range is 1-5 usually. So I'm talking top 5 pick to be clear.

And also, I did say Kyler was light years better. And... he was. I didn't say he was top of the league QB, though. 

I'm not sure what you're arguing...?  Who said anything about 2nd?  I'm talking top 10 2021 pick to be clear.

If Haskins is as good next year as you think Kyler was, and our team around him is still as bad as it was last year, it's definitely possible we'll be picking top 10.

1 minute ago, Stormy said:

That said, they need to make some moves to support him. Without Trent, the OL is in shambles. The WR position is manned by 3WR coming off their rookie seasons (2 of which were drafted in the 6th round or lower) with no depth behind them, the TE position as it currently stands is non-existent, and the RB corps consists of a retiree and 2 injured, unproven youngsters. It’s hard to imagine that there is a worse supporting cast in football. Likewise the draft is likely targeting D early, and lacks a 2nd round pick, so the likelihood of immediate impact offensive help is minimal. 

Add in that Haskins has a handful of starts, a new offense to learn from a new OC/QBC combo, and likely an abbreviated camp season to do so, and it may be just about as difficult a situation for a soph QB as you’ll find. 

This team needs to give their young QB some help, and so far none seems forthcoming!

You forgot to mention the loss of the OL coach who pulled a miracle year out of the LG. Is the team assuming Geron Christian is going to take a giant leap?

Just now, Stormy said:

To be clear, I agree with you.

Lots of factors are going into this lack of support.

First: Whether they believe in Haskins or not, the constant rumors of drafting/signing a vet QB make DC a difficult sell as it pertains to signing and joining the offense.

Second: Drafting him in the first place, being Snyder's guy, and having him be the rookie QB under a lame duck coach who wasn't going to play him because his job depended on it. Things went south before they even started.

Third: Bruce Allen. I kind of covered him above... But let's do it again. Not trading Trent, multiple moves made. He set this franchise back a few years.

Fourth: Fair or not, if this team doesn't get good production out of Haskins, FA targets won't want to come here next year, either. So Haskins needs to find a way, fair or not, to get it done this year to the point where guys would want to catch passes from him. If he can put it together enough in that way, he has a chance in DC. If he can't, the team will need to get a different quarterback to bring higher tier targets in.

Haskins got a raw deal from the second his name was announced. I hope, for the sake of this team, he can show the world he can get it done and make DC a destination. It's really best for all of us. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing...?  Who said anything about 2nd?  I'm talking top 10 2021 pick to be clear.

If Haskins is as good next year as you think Kyler was, and our team around him is still as bad as it was last year, it's definitely possible we'll be picking top 10.

I'm not saying Kyler was good. I'm saying he was light years better than Haskins. You keep getting that confused.

Delanie Walker managed to be super productive as the lone offensive weapon for the Titans for like 5 straight years.  Defenses game planned around him every week and he still put up numbers.

We don't need him to be a focal point.  He should be treated as a low risk, high reward redzone target for Haskins.  He had a bad injury 2 years ago that clearly limited him the last two seasons, and also gave coaches the opportunity to see what they had in his younger replacement J. Smith, who showed enough to push his way into the starting role.  I don't blame the Titans for choosing Smith over Walker given their respective ages and upside, but it doesn't mean Walker doesn't still have value.

This guy should get the same treatment as A. Peterson and V. Davis.  Brought in as a backup and a mentor to the younger guys who can be sprinkled into the game plan as his health dictates.  You don't forget how to be that good of a playmaker overnight.  I also don't think adding him prevents you from targetting the position in the draft. If anything, it benefits you by giving you the luxury to address it in the lower rounds on a "best player available" basis rather than overreaching for someone with a high pick in a weak class.

Similarly, I think the Skins should go after J. Kearse at WR for the same reason and with the same mindset. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I'm not saying Kyler was good. I'm saying he was light years better than Haskins. You keep getting that confused.

Not really.  I said "as good as you think Kyler was".  That can still mean you think Kyler ranked 22nd but Haskins ranked 35th.

Anyway, my original point still stands.  We can rather easily draft Chase and stick with Haskins if we're drafting top 10 next year, if Haskins has a good season.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not really.  I said "as good as you think Kyler was".  That can still mean you think Kyler ranked 22nd but Haskins ranked 35th.

Anyway, my original point still stands.  We can rather easily draft Chase and stick with Haskins if we're drafting top 10 next year, if Haskins has a good season.

Back to my point - Top 10, meaning in the 6-10 range, I'd probably agree that we may stick with Haskins if he has a good year.

Top 5? I think the Skins are looking at a rookie QB and a new window. *shrug*

We can do this all day. I hope we're picking 32nd and Haskins is the Super Bowl MVP. 

Instead, some player agents suspect Rivera is searching for value, waiting for the market to settle, which will allow him to go after good players at cheaper prices. For instance, reports have linked them to cornerback Desmond Trufant and safety Damarious Randall — talented players whose values may have dropped for various reasons.

“Things should pick up the rest of the week,” one prominent agent said Wednesday, referring to free agency as a whole and not the Redskins specifically. That agent went on to wonder if teams were being more cautious about laying out too much guaranteed money given the country’s current economic uncertainty during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Still, Washington may not have done badly in the first days of free agency. While Rivera said he wanted to keep the team’s starting guards Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers, he did not overspend at the position, placing a $14.7 million franchise tag on Scherff and standing by as Flowers got $10 million a year from the Dolphins. Washington’s subsequent signing of Schweitzer gives it a veteran to compete with Wes Martin — a player many around the Redskins felt could have started last year — for Flowers’ vacant left guard position, and provide depth at guard and center if Martin wins the job.

Fuller has the type of versatility that Rivera loves in his players, and will probably project to start opposite Quinton Dunbar (provided Dunbar and Rivera resolve a current dispute over a contract extension that Dunbar wants) in base defense, with the ability to play slot cornerback against three-receiver sets. Pierre-Louis is a strong special teams player who adds valuable depth on defense. Thomas, while 38, has played the bulk of his career for Rivera in Carolina and will be expected to have an influence on the culture Rivera wants to instill throughout the locker room.

More moves are left to be made. The Redskins continue to talk to teams about left tackle Trent Williams, who the team granted permission to pursue a trade. And some veteran quarterbacks remain available. Rivera’s former quarterback at Carolina, Cam Newton, is available for trade and could be released, as the Panthers are on the verge of signing Teddy Bridgewater as a replacement. Tampa Bay’s Jameis Winston is another starting quarterback who might be left to take a one-year deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/18/redskins-are-moving-carefully-free-agency-there-could-be-more-deals-come/?utm_campaign=wp_redskins&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I like how they say Rivera succeeded in not overspending at guard because he signed some reserve backup to Like 2 mil a year and tagged the other. Technically he didn’t overspend but seriously??

Also, Eli Apple to Raiders. Damn that would have been a savvy signing to help...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA... sorry I just couldn’t make it through.

50 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Injuries happen.  Bad luck happens.  There have been plenty of teams over the years that have drafted in the top 10 with franchise QBs on their roster.  Teams with better overall rosters than the Redskins currently have.

Injuries and bad luck happens but typically teams with in theory that have a big time D line, good running backs and good QB if it goes down that way are unlikely picking top 5. 

Archived