Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

“He’s a freak of an athlete,” said Chris Harris, the Chargers’ assistant defensive backs coach and a former teammate of Davis. “He’s a freak of a human being too. When he committed to coming back after the third ACL, I knew he’d be fine.”

Davis called Harris soon after the Chargers offered him a free-agent deal in March. It took Harris mere seconds to begin selling the team and the situation, both quite foreign to Davis, who had played his entire career in Carolina.

Harris knew how well his good friend would fit into a locker room that Chargers management has tried so hard to build on a foundation of maturity and responsibility.

He also knew the Chargers could use a linebacker of Davis’ stature, particularly coming off a season with so many linebacker injuries that the team was forced to try to stop Tom Brady by scattering defensive backs all over the field.

Harris had no doubt about what Davis — thrice rebuilt knee, 1,111 tackles and all — still had left to give a team.

“He has great genes, of course, so he has to thank his mom and dad,” Harris said. “But he’s also a true professional. He knows how to take care of his body. To watch him now is quite amazing. I wish I could still do what he’s doing.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/story/2019-09-03/thomas-davis-chargers-linebackers

57 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jenkins would be a great bridge player to help keep the defense respectable during the rebuild.  With as much cap space as we have and how hard it is to get folks to come here, even overpaying him won't ruin our cap.  Adding him and Fuller effectively remakes your secondary, you need that if we don't plan go blitz a lot.

Jenkins is good but I'd be very surprised to see him come to Washington...I have a feeling he wants to go to a contender but who knows? 

Maybe he's looking for that last pay day? How good would he be with Collins back there?

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

An inspiration for Foster, as well ?

I've been hyping M. Jenkins in part for being a mega locker room leader type.  T. Davis is from that same cloth.

I don't think they really have any leaders on defense.  Maybe Landon Collins to some degree.  Some tout Jonathan Allen on that front because of his angry style responses to loses but from my observation of many training camp practices and ditto from what beat guys have said -- he's not really a big locker room leader type.  Allen in the practices I've watched is quiet as a mouse. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

With him just recently regaining feeling in his leg, I wouldn't count on him to start the season (or for any part of the season really).

I think that's fair.  I would just say I'm perfectly fine keeping him the roster for now and not rushing to get him off like I feel about Alex. Not that you saying that, just different situation.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

With him just recently regaining feeling in his leg, I wouldn't count on him to start the season (or for any part of the season really).

I think Davis is a great role model for Reuben, if we hang on to Reuben throughout his recovery and if he makes it back 100%. Reuben Foster learning under Thomas Davis is pure NFL gold....

2 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Are you guys really talking up a 36 yr old LB?

A one year bridge LB that has ties to Rivera, played well in LA, and had as many tackles as Collins and more than anyone else on our team.  There are worse options for a one year bridge to build your defensive philosophy.  Is he going to be a cornerstone of our defense for years to come?  No.  Is it a smart addition for a team that has been a 3-4 base coached by incompetent D Coaches for a decade?  Yes.

Archived