Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is he going to be our next josh norman?

I like PFF but don't live and die by it.  Someone posted stats that show that he's much better on one side of the field, if I recall the left side.  I read somewhere he's at his best playing zone so if that's the case that would be similar to Josh on that point. 

But yeah among the players we discuss here, PFF are somewhat big fans of Robbie Anderson, Bryon Jones, Cory Littleton, Anthony Harris.  They aren't big on Bradberry.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/35013/austin-hoopers-next-deal-could-reset-the-tight-end-market

Austin Hooper's next deal could reset the tight end market

Through the first eight games of last season, Hooper stood fifth in the league in receptions with 52, behind only receivers Michael Thomas (73), DeAndre Hopkins (60), Cooper Kupp (58) and Julian Edelman (53). Hooper's hot start was derailed by an MCL sprain that caused him to miss three games, but he still finished with a career-best 75 catches for 787 yards and six touchdowns.

Corry pointed out how the tight-end market has been stagnant since 2014 when Jimmy Graham got $10 million per year with $20.9 million in guarantees from the Saints as a franchise player. Hooper is expected to top Graham's $10 million per year average wherever he ends up signing, even if he remains with the Falcons.

"You've got two [impending] free agents who could move the needle, I would think, past Graham, and one who I'm pretty sure will hit the open market in Hooper," Corry said. "Franchising him [at around $10.7 million] would be difficult. The other guy is Hunter Henry, who's got a better chance of being restricted by either the franchise or transition tag. If Henry gets restricted, that's pretty much going to leave Hooper as the guy out there in free agency."

Corry foreshadowed how a Hooper deal might look.

"Let's say like $44 million over four years, and totally guarantee the first two years at $26.5 million," Corry said. "The player would probably want a three-year deal. Hooper is 25 years old. His best football is ahead of him. If he can put himself [in position] for a contract extension after playing two years when he's still in his prime, that would be preferable.

"The team probably would want to do a five-year deal because you can prorate the signing bonus over five rather than three [for cap space]. But he's not doing a five because he's going to want another bite at the apple. That's why I say it's probably going to be four years."

Getting $11 million per year with almost $27 million guaranteed would put Hooper not only ahead of Graham in average salary per year, but ahead of Chicago's Trey Burton ($22 million guarantee) in guaranteed money. But for Hooper or any other tight end, being the richest at the position might not last long. San Francisco's George Kittle still has one year remaining on his deal but will cash in soon.

"Kittle will get done at some point, and that is going to raise the bar dramatically," Corry said. "The best thing for the impending free-agent tight ends -- and I don't think it's going to happen -- would be for Kittle and the 49ers to get something done quickly. But I suspect there's going to be sticker shock on that one. If I'm George Kittle, I'm taking the position of, 'I'm your No. 1 receiver, so don't talk to me about tight-end money. I want to be paid like a top receiver threat.'"I don't anticipate Kittle signing for anything under $13 million per year. You've never had a tight end with $30 million in guarantees. He'll probably be the first."

As for Hooper, the Falcons would have to do some reshuffling to re-sign him. They already restructured the contracts of quarterback Matt Ryan and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett to create more cap space. Their most pressing need is for pass-rushers, but general manager Thomas Dimitroff previously called Hooper a priority. Losing Hooper probably would mean targeting a pass-catching tight end in the draft, although they saw some flashes from undrafted Jaeden Graham last season.

"To sign Hooper, you're going to have to restructure some more contracts, like maybe Julio Jones," Corry said. "You'll have to cut somebody like Devonta Freeman [$3.5 million cap savings]. You went out and paid some offensive linemen that don't necessarily need to be there next season. Like I said, if you really want to sign someone, you'll find a way."

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 3.40.42 PM.png

Just now, Rex Tomb said:

Worth a look? Taylor Gabriel is one quick receiver.

not sure if he's a traditional Z which they are looking for but I liked him in Atlanta, haven't followed what happened in Chicago.  Amukamara has quietly had a good career, wonder if he can be had cheapish?  I think we need 2-3 corners. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I fail to see, statistically, why PFF grades Hooper higher than Henry by as much as they do. 

And damnit, what the hell happened to the end around as a play? No rush yards? C'mon, guys. 

Hasn't Hunter Henry had a really hard time staying healthy?  Not worth bringing him in if we just let Reed go because he is oft-injured.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like PFF but don't live and die by it.  Someone posted stats that show that he's much better on one side of the field, if I recall the left side.  I read somewhere he's at his best playing zone so if that's the case that would be similar to Josh on that point. 

But yeah among the players we discuss here, PFF are somewhat big fans of Robbie Anderson, Bryon Jones, Cory Littleton, Anthony Harris.  They aren't big on Bradberry.  

Any chance you can look up Daryl Worley and Adrian Philips SIP.

Hmmm.  Couple of connections here:

Baugh signed with the Panthers in April 2019 and went through the preseason with the team before being placed on injured reserve when the team made cuts to get to 53 players. He also spent time with the Raiders in 2018 and played in the short-lived Alliance of American Football last year.

Baugh went undrafted out of Ohio State in 2018. He had 55 catches for 607 yards and eight touchdowns while in college.

You gotta wonder why PFF has Bradberry rated so low, I know they aren't the definitive way to grade a player but he's under 60, how far off could they be?

If anyone has data that would shed some light on this please do, I don't want to sign Josh Norman v2.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I fail to see, statistically, why PFF grades Hooper higher than Henry by as much as they do. 

And damnit, what the hell happened to the end around as a play? No rush yards? C'mon, guys. 

I think Hooper is fools gold....I would not pay what he's gonna want, unless he wants a reasonable deal. I'd rather go Henry or draft/trade for someone else. 

People need to remember that Reed hasn’t missed games just due to his concussions. He’s missed a plethora of non concussion games to his feet, his shoulders and other varieties of ailments.  
There is no doubt Hunter Henry is more Dynamic than Hooper, but this push for Henry given his injury history is a little surprising, Given OUR team injury history.

Hooper isn’t exciting, but he’s reliable and given his history should actually be there game in game out. If we decide for Henry maybe we could get some injury protection/incentive language in his deal, or get him at a cheaper rate. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hmmm.  Couple of connections here:

Baugh signed with the Panthers in April 2019 and went through the preseason with the team before being placed on injured reserve when the team made cuts to get to 53 players. He also spent time with the Raiders in 2018 and played in the short-lived Alliance of American Football last year.

Baugh went undrafted out of Ohio State in 2018. He had 55 catches for 607 yards and eight touchdowns while in college.

I'm connecting the words in bold and have no doubt that he will be a Redskin in the coming days.....DH is probly on the phone with RR as I type this. I just hope he's better than Sprinkle, Sprinkle little star.

43 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

You gotta wonder why PFF has Bradberry rated so low, I know they aren't the definitive way to grade a player but he's under 60, how far off could they be?

If anyone has data that would shed some light on this please do, I don't want to sign Josh Norman v2.

From what SIP posted, looks like his extremely poor run defense grade dragged his overall grade down.

Archived