Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Projected cap space: $38.9 million

Players to target: CB Darqueze Dennard, WR Emmanuel Sanders, TE Greg Olsen
Soon-to-be unrestricted free agents: G Brandon Scherff, RB Chris Thompson, G Ereck Flowers, T Donald Penn, LB Jon Bostic, QB Case Keenum, QB Colt McCoy

Potential cuts: CB Josh Norman (saves $12.5 million in 2020), TE Jordan Reed (saves $8.5 million in 2020)

Outside of Quinton Dunbar, there wasn’t a single Washington cornerback to produce a PFF grade above 60.0. That’s a problem. The slot routinely got toasted in the nation’s capital — Washington ranked 29th in slot coverage grade and passer rating allowed to the slot (117.9). Darqueze Dennard, who was the seventh highest-graded slot corner and allowed the fewest yards per cover snap in the slot at 0.57, would for sure help that cause. Brandon Scherff should be of utmost priority for Washington entering free agency. He’s had some injuries the past few seasons, but his two-year PFF grade when on the field is the sixth best among right guards.

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Soon-to-be unrestricted free agents: G Brandon Scherff, RB Chris Thompson, G Ereck Flowers, T Donald Penn, LB Jon Bostic, QB Case Keenum, QB Colt McCoy

Potential cuts: CB Josh Norman (saves $12.5 million in 2020), TE Jordan Reed (saves $8.5 million in 2020)

Outside of Quinton Dunbar, there wasn’t a single Washington cornerback to produce a PFF grade above 60.0. That’s a problem. The slot routinely got toasted in the nation’s capital — Washington ranked 29th in slot coverage grade and passer rating allowed to the slot (117.9). Darqueze Dennard, who was the seventh highest-graded slot corner and allowed the fewest yards per cover snap in the slot at 0.57, would for sure help that cause. Brandon Scherff should be of utmost priority for Washington entering free agency. He’s had some injuries the past few seasons, but his two-year PFF grade when on the field is the sixth best among right guards.

Thought we were at 48m cap space atm. 

HTTR 

30 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

That's all the money we have left?

Wow, Minnesota invested what ... 3 straight 1st and 2nd round picks in 2 years at CB? Alexander, Waynes and Xavier Rhodes ... and they're likely to part with all 3 this off-season.

One case and point I would point to for those that think we can trade off #2 and get 3 pro-bowl starters with the picks.

4 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

That's all the money we have left?

Yep. They're using the updated Overthecap numbers.

Spotrac has also amended theirs and they have us at a projected $40.4 million.

Cut Norman and Reed and we have $58 million.

Both of those items are almost guaranteed to take place.

The next two moves are very TBD ... but should the team opt to trade Trent Williams ($12m) and/or Ryan Kerrigan ($12m) then we can get up to $70 and then $82 million respectively.

Paul Richardson should be cut, but he would have a dead cap of $6m and would only save $2m. No June 1st cuts due to it being final league year of CBA.

AP might be a sneaky cut candidate too. He'd save about $2.5 million.

But not sure we need to free up all that much money. Year 1 cap hits can be mitigated and there's a lot of cap space in the future with Smith contract coming off the books too.

I always try to work backward when running these off-season scenarios. The reality is every team has a means of creating cap space, and we are just around the league average for cap space going into the off-season, although if you go by the median number, we are better than about 12 other teams ... there are 19 teams with currently more cap space than us ... although once we make a couple of logical moves, we'll be around 10th in cap space and considering we have 2 logical cuts that save substantial money, which most teams don't have.

Now, other teams have substantial $$ to put into QB ... Dallas has a very deceiving $85m in cap space. That will go very quickly. As will New Englands's.

But either way, let's work backwards ...

- Cut Norman and Reed, both almost givens at this point, and you have $58 million

- Assume we restructure Kerrigan and save $4m in the process in 2020 ($62 million)

- Assume we extend Trent and his cap number goes up a couple million ($60 million)

- We have historically carried about $10 million into the season ($50 million remaining)

- Need about $6 million for the draft pool when factoring in the Top51 ($44 million remaining)

You have about $44 million to spend on 2020 contracts while leaving some wiggle-room for in-season maneuvers and draft pick signings. You have 1 high-priced pending FA you want to retain and another mid-tier FA you probably want to try to retain.

- Scherff is going to be garnering $14-15 million APY contract.

- Flowers is going to be garnering $5-7 million APY contract

Then you turn toward needs via a FA class that is in a good position to fill holes.

- Multiple top-tier CBs ... I think you are likely to see one of them in a Redskin uniform for the tune of $10 million APY  to $14 million APY (Jones)

- FS which could go anywhere from 5m APY (Boston) upwards of $15 million APY (Simmons or Harris)

- TE is likely to be a veteran like Olsen paired with a 3rd or 4th round TE which would be $4-5m APY up to $10m APY for Hooper should he hit market

- WR spending is likely a luxury .. but an AJ Green could be $10-12m APY or up to $20m APY for Amari Cooper. You are already paying a "mid tier" WR in Richardson who has a cap number of $8 million and it doesn't save much to cut him this year, so I think you could see a bargain WR like Funchess come in for $5-6m APY with ties to the FO or a shot-in-the-dark attempt at AJ Green (who will have other more appealing suitors like New England)

In the end we have to remember that while we WILL have money to spend, other teams will have just as much money to spend, and in some cases maybe even more compelling stories to sell FAs.

We will sign some guys for sure. The ones that make the most sense are the ones with ties to this coaching staff in the past. But I also think we should temper ourselves on assuming we will be signing the guys that others on here have posted.

A reasonable expectation would be:

- CB James Bradberry

- FS Tre Boston

- TE Greg Olsen

- WR Devin Funchess

These wouldn't break the bank, but they would lowkey upgrade some positions while also making logical sense because of the Rivera ties. And maybe you throw in a FA LB like Corey Littleton to the mix. Mix this with an extension for Trent and bringing back Flowers and Scherff and I think it's a solid off-seaosn heading into the draft, without multiple high-end FAs.

I will also say, I don't think there's a benefit at least now to saving cap space. I don't think any cap can be rolled into 2021 since the CBA is expiring.

So while I would ordinarily be in favor or rolling money forward when you're still semi-rebuilding, this might actually be a year to use that cap space up and try to front-load contracts to free up your space into the new CBA and 2021 and beyond.

Front-Loading could mean the $44 million goes quickly. $15 to Scherff, $14 to Bradberry, $8 to Flowers, $7 to Boston, $6 to Olsen $6 million Funchess ... and right there you've put $58 million into 2020 new money on your cap when you only really alotted $44m to spend.

of course, not front-loading gives you way more flexibility. $10 to Bradberry, $12 to Scherff, $5 to Flowers, $5 to Boston, $4 to Olsen and $4m to Funchess ... and you're at $40m spent in 2020 ... but that doesn't leave much room to sign big named guys unless you seriously backload the deals like you did with Landon Collins in 2019 where he only counted $4m toward the cap. This year he's at $14.5m and will be around that number every year going forward. You could do that to sign more guys this year and potentially pay for it later, but I'm not sure that's the strategy you implement when you aren't exactly in SB contender mode.

One final thought. This staff doesn't appear to be in full-rebuild mode. I think the mindset is that they've been rebuilding for a couple years now. Got your QB on a rookie deal, you have decent cap space, and you have the #2 pick. But should the staff go all-in on the rebuild mindset, then I could see the trade approach. Trade Trent for a 2nd. Trade Kerrigan for a 4th. Trade Richardson for a 7th or whatever you can get to offload the salary.

In that case, you're getting some draft capital, and you'll start infusing some more young cheap talent in place of high-paid players.

You're replacing Trent's $14m with a $1.5m APY rookie OT

You're replacing Kerrigan's $12 million for a $700k APY rookie 4th rounder

And if you decide to trade out of #2, you cold add a ton of draft capital that is cheap.

But then you get into a position where you're clearly rebuilding starting in 2020 and aiming for a 2021-2022 breakout, and you can't really justify spending $15m APY on a Bradberry or $10m APY on a Hooper.

So being in this in-between rebuild spot can present many different directions.

Which is why I think they take the approach somewhere in the middle. Retool, but don't rebuild. Add talent in FA, but only fill the obvious holes and do it where it helps bolster the rest of the team/development of guys like Haskins and improving the defense.

Should be an exciting few months. And I actually think the direction the team takes will depend on whether Trent and the team can reconcile or if he ends up being moved. I think that will impact Kerrigan. And those 2 going for picks would free up a ton of cap space, but also create a rather large hole at LT.

4 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

No to Bradberry. If we’re going to pay top $$ let’s give it to our top 3 rated homegrown CB whose rookie contract is almost up. 

Dunbar isn’t on a rookie deal. But I agree in extending Dunbar but this new staff may want to get Bradberry and draft Dunnie’s replacement this or next year. Though I’m all for extending him it won’t be cheap 

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Dunbar isn’t on a rookie deal. But I agree in extending Dunbar but this new staff may want to get Bradberry and draft Dunnie’s replacement this or next year. Though I’m all for extending him it won’t be cheap 

Yep.  The good thing about an extension is that you can keep this year’s numbers as is for Dunbar - which meshes well with our cap situation.  

Considering that even if we have Dunbar and Bradberry long term, we still need a slot corner and depth... drafting a guy (or even 2) still makes sense.  Especially given the missed games by Dunbar.

Obviously Moreau and Moreland could still pan out for us - or one of our backend guys that finished out the year for us - but we shouldn’t assume that will be the case.  

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

A reasonable expectation would be:

- CB James Bradberry

- FS Tre Boston

- TE Greg Olsen

- WR Devin Funchess

The above along with re signing Schreff and Flowers would be a good offseason IMO. But we also need a vet QB as a backup (at least) and there are rumblings Dunbar wants an extension or mau hold out of the offseason program. So it may get more complex and one of those names might have to come off the list.

Redskins corner Quinton Dunbar has requested to be traded or released, according to a source. Dunbar spoke with a member of the Redskins' administration tonight. He had been in talks with the previous regime about an extension but he had not had any contact with the Redskins since the hiring of coach Ron Rivera.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer7m ago

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Ugh. If Dunbar wants out (and it would be a trade) that really complicates things.

Really strange to want out without even apparently talking or being in contact with the new coaching staff.

Who knows the details but on its surface Dunbar seems to be overreacting.  Seems like the previous regime was negotiating an extension and the current one wanted to take time to evaluate the roster before making the next move with every player -- and either Dunbar doesn't have the patience for that or his agent is making a move to create some urgency.

I like Rivera and most of what I've seen so far.  My only minor criticism is he's certainly taking his time to evaluate before pushing anything - hasn't contact Trent yet, etc.   

Wtf. Hopefully this is just his and his agents' way of leveraging for a new deal before we spend big $$ on a Bradberry type. They saw what happened with Breeland and Norman. 

Can't be a coincidence this came out the SAME day Rivera made it known he'd begin roster evaluations in earnest.

I just don't understand how hard it is to make 53+ phone calls when you get a new job as a HC. How hard is that? Just reach out and try to touch base with each player. Then do your Feb 10th assessment thing. I feel the same way about the lack of contact with Trent Williams so far. That should be a top-5 phone call once the job is official. 

Archived