Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Don't care about quotes. I like Trautman the player, just wish he was faster, 40 times are definitely linked to future success with TE's, the more athletic the better, which is why he's so odd, really odd to figure how a guy could score so ridiculously well in terms of agility (95th percentile), and yet run a 4.80. Makes me wonder if he just didn't have the opportunity to train up for the 40, get the whole "starting blocks explosion" piece handled well. I wonder if he's faster than that and just tested like garbage. He's definitely interesting, I suspect he gets picked before our 3rd just because of how god awful the TE class is, and how everyone rightly sees having legit pass catching options as a Konami code for offensive success these days. 

But yeah, I'm glad he doesn't come across as a moron, or a selfish lazy idiot in the interview, that would suck, but I've seen a bazillion "say the right things" interviews of players who went on to suck and become totally anonymous players at the next level, so while it's not a knock, I don't view it as indicative of anything going forward other than him understanding why it's important to come across well in interviews. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001103829/Adam-Trautman-runs-official-4-80-second-40-yard-dash-at-2020-combine

I am no track coach but watch for yourself.

1) Looks clunky coming out of the blocks

2) Quickly goes upright

I'm sure with proper form the guy could have run in at least the high 4.6s/ low 4.7s

I like Trautman but not sure he has elite upside. Looking at the available pool of talent, I'd love to trade down in the 3rd and get an extra 4th or 5th.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:32 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

I really hope they’re not planning to start Fuller outside. 

I think Moreau, Moreland, Darby and maybe a rookie CB all compete for the two outside spots. 

I like this signing. Very good buy-low situation. 

Really feels like an offseason of stop gap hole filling moves. I get the feeling the plan is to suck in '20, and use the '20 and '21 drafts to build the core of the team while they sign 1 year and 2 year contracts to FA's to fill holes temporarily as they build. Definitely get the sense that they've got a plugged in expectation of 2020 as "evaluating the young talent, and using FA's to fill holes temporarily while they try to find long term answers via the next 2 or 3 drafts", and w/whats happening with Coronavirus this actually makes a ton of sense. If this explodes as it looks like it will, it will probably wipe out minicamp, rookie camp and part of training camp or maybe all of it, with waves hitting again that could even potentially shut down the season completely or in part in the fall. Nothing would be worse in said scenario than wasting piles of cap space on players that will have a partial or even shorter offseason to learn a completely new system. To save cap space in what could be a partially lost season, or a fully lost season, and certainly a good chunk of the offseason makes a ton of sense. You don't want to load up on expensive FA's if you can't even use the first year of the new contract well at all. It's also a great time to buy 2021 picks since 2020 rookies could struggle w/such a likely disastrous offseason in terms of time to be coached up and trained as professionals for the first time. 

18 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'm not sure we would have the draft capital.  

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/28/21197379/smart-teams-should-be-calling-carolina-about-curtis-samuel

Compensation

Samuel was drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft. It’s hard to imagine Carolina getting that type of compensation for him now. The Panthers just signed Robby Anderson to a new deal, so it makes sense why Samuel is on the “trading block,” with Carolina recently investing a first-round pick at wide receiver in D.J. Moore.

This could be a draft-day trade where the 49ers move back from No. 31 and acquire more a third or fourth-round pick. Darius Slay went for a third and a fifth, and he’s one of the most established players at a premier position in the league. If I can get Samuel for a Day 3 pick, I’m pulling the trigger on that deal immediately. If the Panthers want a third and another Day 3 pick, be my guest. He’s that good. Don’t be fooled by his stats. That’s a Kyle Allen issue, not a Curtis Samuel issue. If you need to deal a pick in 2021 to get this deal done, so be it.

I would trade for Samuel in a second. Just realize that the Anderson signing is irrelevant, if they want to trade him it's probably because they aren't planning on using Samuel as the kind of Percy Harvin/Parris Campbell weapon he is. He's basically a guy you can give 50-75 carries in a season and he can easily become a 65-700 to 75-850 type guy. He's a superb weapon to have around, and I have no clue why they'd want to trade him as neither Moore nor Anderson do what he does, they aren't overlapping skill sets, Samuel is a more close to the line of scrimmage guy: Dump off's, bubble screens, intermediate, the odd deep ball where he scoots out from motion or even as a RB, and can run a post or whatever. 

Very odd that they want to move him? Only reason I can think of is that he's already burned 3 of his 4 years on his rookie deal and maybe they are doing a full tear down w/the roster and view pick compensation as more valuable? 

Just read an article that claims Tunsil is looking for a contract for $20 mil a year. He’s under contract with Houston so if TW is only looking for $18 mil maybe teams will look at him as a cheaper alternative. It would be nice if Bill OBrien did another boneheaded trade with us this time similar to him giving away Hopkins. 

Also read that Carolina is not shopping Samuels unless it’s a lucrative offer. 

Spotrac has us currently at $27.8 million in cap space. Trading Trent gets us to $40.3 million. That falls to about $30 million again when factoring in our draft pool.

even if we spend down to $20 million and roll that into 2021 ... once we cut Alex Smith next off-season with that rollover we will have $120 million in cap space. And that’s with a projected $215m cap. Think there were some rumors of a possible $240m cap

Although that maybe adjusted down significantly if we don’t have a full season / revenue 

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It feels like we've brought in an entirely new team. Like we signed 53 FAs and have an entire second roster.

It does, when you win 3 games this is what should happen. I personally love the message this sends to the team. Everyone must compete...

4 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Just read an article that claims Tunsil is looking for a contract for $20 mil a year. He’s under contract with Houston so if TW is only looking for $18 mil maybe teams will look at him as a cheaper alternative. It would be nice if Bill OBrien did another boneheaded trade with us this time similar to him giving away Hopkins.

Tunsil is 25 and an ascending player. Williams (though better right now) is 32 on the way down and has not played for over a year. 

That the Texans are in active talk on an extension with Tunsil makes sense of why they were apparently leaking an interest in Williams last week. When you are negotiating you need something to give you at least an illusion of leverage.

21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Tunsil is 25 and an ascending player. Williams (though better right now) is 32 on the way down and has not played for over a year. 

That the Texans are in active talk on an extension with Tunsil makes sense of why they were apparently leaking an interest in Williams last week. When you are negotiating you need something to give you at least an illusion of leverage.

While I do fall in line with your thinking RE: Williams > Tunsil...

We don’t know if Williams is better at this point.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If we could land Peters, that would almost be the equivalent of finding toilet paper on the store shelves, at a time like this.

He's represented by the same ass-hat agent who represents Trent.  I doubt Peters gets done.  But stranger things have happened.  Trent and Penn are good friends and he came here last year. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That’s fair - but Tunsil was not THAT good last year. 

And Trent wasn't anything last year.

But he is a known commodity of sorts.  Trent is a complete unknown.  He had cancer, sat out the year, claimed malpractice by the team but then didn't allow an independent investigation, wants a ton of money, and hasn't played 16 games in a season since (I think) 2015.  

Personally, I think he is getting horrendous advice.  His best chance to get paid big now is to just show up and play well for the 'Skins under his current contract and hit FA next year.  Because I seriously doubt anybody is going to give up anything significant for Trent given the unknowns, and I doubt he gets the contract he wants.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He's represented by the same ass-hat agent who represents Trent.  I doubt Peters gets done.  But stranger things have happened.  Trent and Penn are good friends and he came here last year

I am aware. Trent is also best buddies with AP, but that didn't stop AP from committing to 2 more years, after Trent held out. And like you said, it didn't stop Penn.

Also, NFL player agents do not hold exclusive loyalty to just 1 player/client.

They hold exclusive loyalty to the dollar sign in their own incentive check.

I get Trent sat out a full year - but his body of work and ability stands. And it’s not like he blew out all 3 ligaments or something, if anything a year out might have helped his body. I would take him off the beach in flip flops over maybe half of the starting LT in the league.

But I do agree that year off, his age, his injury history and most importantly his contract demands make it difficult to see us getting an offer of a 2nd round value for him (and that doesn’t need to be a 2nd round pick). I don’t think we should drop that price - so unless Williams drops his contract demands to a range where a team feels the risk of giving up a package that equates to a 2nd round pick is worth it it’s going to get even more messy than it is now.

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

All of those guys, at some point in their career, were totally unwanted or passed up by the entire NFL.

But we gave them all chances and either revived or created their solid careers.

But only 1 of the 5 was grateful enough to return to the Redskins.

Just seems odd that we create/redeem players who end up ungrateful and unloyal to us.

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

All of those guys, at some point in their career, were totally unwanted or passed up by the entire NFL.

Just seems odd that we create/redeem players who end up ungrateful and unloyal to us.

3 of the 5 players you listed cashed in on a free agency payday.

1 of the 5 was traded because he will soon be coming due to a payday that the Redskins wouldn't give him.

1 of the 5 was a 34 year old who played at the most expendable position on a team. He did not choose cash in on a free agency payday because no one would offer a large contract to a 34 year old who played at the most expendable position on a team.

59 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

Ungrateful lol. Really? With the exception of Dunbar (and it will come true for him soon too) all of them left here for a bigger contract than we were willing to give. Some MUCH bigger contracts. Has nothing to do with loyalty or being grateful. What a weird thing to say. Like a player owes anyone the taking of a smaller contract.

Archived