Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Ideally need a new CBA first though. That will lift restrictions currently in place due to this being the final year of the existing CBA...capped year on year % salary increases, no June 1st cuts, accelerated incentives as opposed to deferred incentives etc.

@RabidFan  I feel like it was 13.5 he turned down?  Either way, I think it will take 14-15 mil to re-sign him.  I’ll say it could be he had some grievances against Allen, or some other aspect(s) of the team and might take the original offer with the changes that have been made.  I doubt it though.  

Agree about Kerrigan.  He’ll be a great fit for the culture, he’s obviously willing to extend his contract/lower his cap hit, and he would be fairly valuable as a sub/situational pass rusher/depth... especially if Anderson plays more of a SAM role than DE.  Get 3 more years out of him and let him retire a ‘Skin.  

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@RabidFan  I feel like it was 13.5 he turned down?  Either way, I think it will take 14-15 mil to re-sign him.  I’ll say it could be he had some grievances against Allen, or some other aspect(s) of the team and might take the original offer with the changes that have been made.  I doubt it though.  

Agree about Kerrigan.  He’ll be a great fit for the culture, he’s obviously willing to extend his contract/lower his cap hit, and he would be fairly valuable as a sub/situational pass rusher/depth... especially if Anderson plays more of a SAM role than DE.  Get 3 more years out of him and let him retire a ‘Skin.  

Scherff could easily get the tag, worst case contract wise.

I could also see Kerrigan sticking around whilst we have a couple of starters at DE on rookie deals :). Kerrigan converts to say a 2 year 15mil deal or 3/20 with plenty of incentives built in. 

Why not load up on talent available on both sides of the trenches and role with that window of opportunity for next 2-3 season and hope the young weapons on offense hit: Haskins, Terry, Sims, Guice, and future acquisitions. 

Retain, pay, extend, and draft:

Scherff

Flowers

Williams

Kerrigan

Allen
Young

Real potential to be great in the trenches on both sides of the ball with these moves. Nothing unrealistic about making it happen either. 

I personally would not spend any considerable $ on QB. Find a proper backup, keenum/Mccoy/Alex ( if he can play) but to sign a Bridgewater, Mariota or the other higher priced higher talent FA would not be the move I would make. It’s Haskins team and I would get behind the young fella, but protect the team from injury, with a suitable backup. IMO

My Free Agency Plan:   Extend Trent Williams, Resign Brandon Scherff, Resign Eric Flowers, Extend and Restructure Ryan Kerrigan for a lot less $$ (He's also told his agent to do a contract so he can remain a Skin),   SIGN: Greg Olsen TE,  A.J. Green WR, James Bradberry CB, Tre Boston FS,  Vic Beasley LB.    RELEASE:  Jordan Reed, Josh Norman, Montae Nicholson, Jeremy Sprinkle, Paul Richardson. 

DRAFT :  Chase Young and a TE and some depth and we are good. 

1 minute ago, VaK9Trainer said:

My Free Agency Plan:   Extend Trent Williams, Resign Brandon Scherff, Resign Eric Flowers, Extend and Restructure Ryan Kerrigan for a lot less $$ (He's also told his agent to do a contract so he can remain a Skin),   SIGN: Greg Olsen TE,  A.J. Green WR, James Bradberry CB, Tre Boston FS,  Vic Beasley LB.    RELEASE:  Jordan Reed, Josh Norman, Montae Nicholson, Jeremy Sprinkle, Paul Richardson. 

I like this. Only one I'm not sure about is AJ Green.

FWIW, I think the value at WR is through the draft. Spotrac has Amari Cooper projected to be getting $18-20 million per year. That's around what you pay a franchise WR. I would prefer to keep getting positions of value in the draft. Like EDGE ... a good pass rusher commands a similary $$ amount, so getting Chase + a 3rd or 4th round WR in the draft to pair with Terry, Sims and Harmon would be very prudent and let you save/spend on your own guys in the coming years.

AJ Green APY projection is $10-12 million on an obviously shorter-term deal. AJ Green is intriguing as hell though as a 1-2 year stopgap to get Haskins up to speed. Green + Olsen + Rookie TE while retaining our OL-men would be FUN and also somewhat "bargain" version of trying to get a Hooper + Cooper for an APY combined $30 million.

16 hours ago, MartinC said:

Don’t forget free agency starts before the draft. I don’t know what Teddy’s market will be either though - heck depending on Brees the Saints might want him back as their starter. He’s better than a number of guys who started this year that’s for sure.

Yeah, I know FA is before the draft, but I think that might actually hurt Bridgewater, because teams might wait and see what they do in the draft before they sign a higher-priced FA QB.

If Brees retires, I would bet Bridgewater is immediately signed by the Saints, if not to be the QB of the future, but at least a stop-gap because he performed well last year, and they would certainly have a functional offense with him in there.

I really can’t see us being in the market for Rivers - or why Rivers would want to come here. He’d want to go somewhere that he could contend I would think, he’s not going to play  for more than another two seasons tops (and he may yet retire). And he will definitely want to starter money, and we just can’t have $50M+ tied up at the QB position without it hurting us elsewhere on the roster.

So you really got me thinking.  So I did a little exercise. All of the already penciled in starting QBs.  I bolded where there might be a change at starter which is "open." I am assuming Burrow to Cincy, and I think somehow Miami get's Tua or Herbert.  So I'm not bolding them.  I'm also assuming Brady goes back to NE, and Brees goes back to the Saints.  Though if he doesn't, I'm assuming they sign Bridgewater and draft somebody.  

AFC East: NE: Brady, Jets: Darnold, Miami: Draft(Tua?), Bills: Allen.  Miami isn't signing Rivers.  The others are set

AFC North: Steelers: Rothlisburger, Cincy: Draft (Burrow?), Ravens: Lamar Jackson, Cleveland: Mayfield. 

AFC South: Texans: Watson, Colts: Brissett, Jax: Minshew/Foles, Tenn: Tannehill?. 

AFC West: Broncos: Lock, Chiefs: SB MVP Maholmes, Raiders: Carr, Chargers: Draft

NFC East: Dallas: Prescott (I'm assuming he's re-signed or franchised), NYG: Jones, Philly: Wentz, Washington: Haskins. 

NFC North: Chicago: Mitch, Detroit: Stafford, GB: Rodgers, Vikings, "Kurt."

NFC South: Atlanta: Ryan, Panthers: Newton, Saints: Brees(Bridgewater), TB: Draft.

NFC West: Arizona: Murray, Rams: Goff, SF: Garoppolo, Seattle: WIlson. 

So, of the bolded teams above, which ones are contenders?  I would say Chicago because of their defense, but they play in a TOUGH division with GB and Minny.  Tennessee clearly, but chances are they re-sign Tannehill.  

The most interesting team is the Colts.  Who WERE contenders until Luck retired.  But I think they like Brissett, and I don't see them going very old at QB.   However, I could see them going after one of the other QBs who are younger.  Bridgewater, Winston, maybe Mariota, all as cheaper competition for the job.  

The Raiders are very likely because Jon wants to win NOW in year 3, Carr is just "meh" and Jon likes old QBs.  However, I don't see them as a contender.  

I think the Panthers will stick with Cam at least next year. I also don't think a team trying to re-set would sign an old QB.  

There just aren't a lot of contenders with openings.  As you would expect.  

So then the question becomes, retire, or go somewhere to compete for a job or be a backup.  That's what Washington could offer.  And let's face it.  Rivers probably beats out Haskins for the starting job, at least right now.  So IF Ron approached him, I could see it as being a possible match, because he could start.  Is Washington a contender? Absolutely not.  But they could definitely be a playoff team with Rivers.  

The money side, again, same as with Bridgewater, he might want starter money, but I don't think he gets it.  

Assuming Smith can’t pass a physical we do need to sign a vet. But it will someone who misses out on a starting gig or is a guy like Keenum who is a stop gap ‘break glass in emergency’ type.

There is no way Smith is playing this year.  I love the story, but after hearing what he went through, there's just no way you can count on him to be available, even as a backup.

So with that said, you have to sign a veteran backup, and probably draft a development guy, and then pick up an UFA as a camp arm.  

I just think they're going to bring in somebody who can actually start to compete with Haskins and push him.  The seemingly relevant choices are Rivers, Bridgewater, Winston and Mariota, unless you're bringing back Case.  After that we get into guys like Chase Daniel, Chad Henne, Drew Standton, Nate Sudfeld, AJ McCarron, Josh McCown, blah blah blah. Those guys can be backups, but they can't really compete with Haskins.  And if they are, then that's a HUGE problem.  

I just have this sneaky suspicion we're not going the latter route.  It's going to be somebody who has started before, and somebody who they could turn to in order to start if they don't think Haskins is putting in the work.  I think ideally they would like Bridgewater, but I think Bridgewater would prefer to go to a place where he could be a longer-term solution.  He might get the start here short term, but eventually, most likely it's going to be Haskins' team.  

So Rivers fits in a lot of ways. He clearly is a short term starter. He would elevate the team immediately, knows the coach, etc.  I doubt it happens, but I am willing to bet a few phone calls are made and interest is gauged.  And if it did happen, it wouldn't shock me.

@skinny21 sorry I kind of jumped in mid-discussion and saw yours first. I agree on the cheaper stopgap QB. Haskins is the guy.

Rivers, Bridgewater, etc. are all going to be looking for starter money and starting positions on their new teams. We are going to be in the Moore, Keenum territory. Or maybe even Kyle Allen. Honestly Kyle Allen makes the most sense as a guy who knows the system and would be super cheap, but somewhat serviceable as a stopgap backup.

The cap numbers are fluid. Overthecap actually adjusted our cap, but they may be including rookie pool in their new figure. Or the Tress Way extension may have chipped into that space.

Releasing Richardson is really more of a 2021 move because cutting him only frees up $2 million and because of the CBA there is no June 1st designation option this year.

Kerrigan on a cheaper/lesser deal makes sense and would be good value. But I think I'd still rather have Beasley as a starting OLB for $8-9 million a year than a veteran backup pass-rusher. But I do think Kerrigan still has some juice and just had a bad year. Not worth the $12 million he's owed, but definitely could contribute. I doubt we move on from him, and if we do I would imagine it would be to a competitor like New England or KC where he could have a chance to win a title.

11 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

SIGN: Greg Olsen TE,  A.J. Green WR, James Bradberry CB, Tre Boston FS

Yes please, I’d love AJ alongside Terry Mc but I’m thinking we have Robby Anderson shortlisted at WR.

Anyway, is Olsen visiting yet? Seems like the story is he didn’t really ‘mutually’ part ways with CAR. Money was too rich on his contract by the looks of it. Offer him 2/12 to 2/15 and get him in as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yes please, I’d love AJ alongside Terry Mc but I’m thinking we have Robby Anderson shortlisted at WR.

Anyway, is Olsen visiting yet? Seems like the story is he didn’t really ‘mutually’ part ways with CAR. Money was too rich on his contract by the looks of it. Offer him 2/12 to 2/15 and get him in as soon as possible.

Olsen is visiting at least 3 teams- Seattle, Buffalo and Skins.  Also there is a rumor that he is wondering if the Chicago Bears are interested too.

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So Rivers fits in a lot of ways. He clearly is a short term starter. He would elevate the team immediately, knows the coach, etc.  I doubt it happens, but I am willing to bet a few phone calls are made and interest is gauged.  And if it did happen, it wouldn't shock me.

I totally agree. I’ve seen Rivers’ name appear elsewhere randomly as a strong link here and I can actually see that too. 2 year deal, Haskins development plan in place. That would not shock me at all.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I like this. Only one I'm not sure about is AJ Green.

FWIW, I think the value at WR is through the draft. Spotrac has Amari Cooper projected to be getting $18-20 million per year. That's around what you pay a franchise WR. I would prefer to keep getting positions of value in the draft. Like EDGE ... a good pass rusher commands a similary $$ amount, so getting Chase + a 3rd or 4th round WR in the draft to pair with Terry, Sims and Harmon would be very prudent and let you save/spend on your own guys in the coming years.

AJ Green APY projection is $10-12 million on an obviously shorter-term deal. AJ Green is intriguing as hell though as a 1-2 year stopgap to get Haskins up to speed. Green + Olsen + Rookie TE while retaining our OL-men would be FUN and also somewhat "bargain" version of trying to get a Hooper + Cooper for an APY combined $30 million.

I completely agree with everything you said, except that it's going to be really hard to hit on another WR and get production out of him quickly.  Not having a second round pick hurts a bit, but they have early picks in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.  And they probably could recover the 2nd in some type of trade.

I like the idea of drafting a guy, but it's not going to be at #2. 

I think Ron really wants another top-flight WR opposite McLaurin, and I think they'd like to go into FA or it.  I also think they will draft somebody, but I don't think anybody they draft they will think of as an immediate "1A" contributor opposite McLaurin.  

That said, the FA WRs are extremely uninspiring. I am wondering if maybe they could pull off a trade.  

I am REALLY leary of signing AJ Green because he spent the entire last season injured.  We've singed and then counted on too many guys coming off of injury.  I'm sure we could get him for a good price, but do we really want to?  I dunno.  Once bitten, twice shy, 3,658 times?  Run away.

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

Olsen is visiting at least 3 teams- Seattle, Buffalo and Skins.  Also there is a rumor that he is wondering if the Chicago Bears are interested too.

He’s done the Bills visit already and has SEA next week, I was generally wondering if he’s here right now.....

@Voice_of_Reason Yeah, adding Green would be a dicey proposition given the time missed. Although as someone who owned him in fantasy in almost every league this year, I think he mainly just opted to sit so he didn't have to come back to an 0-5 team on the last year of his deal.

3 and $36 might be a bit "cheap" to entice him ... but that might be a deal that could get him in here. His contract would expire right when you'd be shifting resources to sign McLaurin to a big deal.

I know it's hard to hit WR like Terry in the 3rd round ... but I think you can find a complementary WR in the 3rd or 4th round that could eventually be the #2. The thing is, I think you can have Simms in the slot, backed up by Quinn (if he even makes the team) ... Harmon and McLauren outside, with your 3rd/4th rounder working into a rotation with them. But adding AJ Green and Greg Olsen as veterans to help bolster Haskins in Year 2 ... along with our youth ... would be a good mix. And I would not be opposed to using a 4th or 5th on another WR that drops, since this is a deep WR class.

I'm not as concerned about LB as others. I think by adding Bradberry and Boston (or insert another CB/FS combo) and adding Chase Young and essentially Rueben Foster ... you can mask the other 2 LB spots. Plus with Holcomb and Shaun Dion-Hamilton, you have 2 guys who were already starting that are young and improving. I think you could certainly add a quality starter/vet through FA, but I think you can hit that in the draft again in the 4th or 5th round.

This team has a lot of options across the board and a TON of youth thanks to recent drafts. And we finally have cap room to make some moves to supplement that youth. Also, as @skinny21 mentioned ... we have even more cap space available next year and the year after.

Also you need to know what you're getting with AJ Green. He'll be 30 going on 31 ... and the drop-off at WR is typically 32. And by drop off I mean from elite production to mediocre production. If you bring Green in for 3 years, I think it's with the understanding and hope that you are getting a 1,000 to 1,200 yard and 8-10 TD guy for Year 1 ... but your floor if he remains healthy is a solid #2 that can get you 750to 1,000 and 6-8 TDs while McLauren on the other side is getting you that WR1 elite production (if he continues to progress).

55 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, of the bolded teams above, which ones are contenders?  I would say Chicago because of their defense, but they play in a TOUGH division with GB and Minny.  Tennessee clearly, but chances are they re-sign Tannehill.  

The most interesting team is the Colts.  Who WERE contenders until Luck retired.  But I think they like Brissett, and I don't see them going very old at QB.   However, I could see them going after one of the other QBs who are younger.  Bridgewater, Winston, maybe Mariota, all as cheaper competition for the job.  

I would think the Bears and Colts fit the profile. Tampa Bay might be a wild card - I have heard that Arians likes him (but they are not really a contender as such). He still lives in San Diego so the Raiders might appeal as a West Coast team.

So then the question becomes, retire, or go somewhere to compete for a job or be a backup. 

Rivers is not going somewhere to backup anyone. He is going ti get a starting job and starting money. I just can not see that being here.

There is no way Smith is playing this year.  I love the story, but after hearing what he went through, there's just no way you can count on him to be available, even as a backup.

Agreed. 

50 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I think that’s a pretty sound plan, and about where I am at.  I’d be open to cutting Nicholson, Sprinkle and Richardson, but I would only do so depending on what happens in FA and the draft, and if they are beat out of a job.  Nicholson in particular is still on his rookie deal and would be solid depth for Boston.  Apke could overtake Nicholson, but then again, Nicholson has the benefit of versatility as he can play more of a SS role too.  

@Voice_of_Reason you make a good argument for Rivers.  I personally want to see Haskins starting (unless he completely flubs the offseason).  I tend to doubt Rivera goes with Rivers because, well... it’s kind of a dick move to give your plan to Snyder on how you will develop Haskins, and then essentially bench him for two years.  Any money you spend on Rivers is also money taken away from a supporting cast for Haskins.  To your point though, there may not be much interest in Rivers and he may come a lot cheaper than some of us are thinking.  It would be a lot invested in the position this year, but not nearly as bad once Smith is off the books.  I think it’s a mistake to take lightly Rivera’s words that he will bring in competition for Haskins, or how serious he is about winning immediately.  

Ideally (in my mind anyway) Haskins plays this year, gets comfortable with the offense, we cut Smith in 2021, and then you have two more years of a rookie contract (as well as the 5th year option, but that starts getting a little pricier).  
As for a backup, I’d pick someone that has started some games, has at least shown flashes of decent play/winning and will come pretty cheap.  Someone like a Mariotta, Keenum, Bortles, Moore, or Driskel.  

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Rivers is not going somewhere to backup anyone. He is going ti get a starting job and starting money. I just can not see that being here.

Then he likely retires unless he gets the starting job at the Bears or the Colts.  He has like 47 kids so he can spend more time with them. 

However either (or both) of those teams could also draft QBs.  

I also think SOMEBODY is going to take a chance on Winston.  If he could just stop turning the hall over, he’d be very good and I’m willing to bet somebody out there thinks they can fix him.  And I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts signed him to compete for the job. I think the Bears want a more immediate fix.

He might go to Tampa.  But I doubt he sees Tampa as a QB away from a SB run.

Its going to be interesting.  I kinda get the feeling none of the QBs on the market are going to get the money they think they deserve.  I don’t know why I think that and history tells me I’m wrong.  I just have a hunch.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I also think SOMEBODY is going to take a chance on Winston.  If he could just stop turning the hall over, he’d be very good and I’m willing to bet somebody out there thinks they can fix him.  And I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts signed him to compete for the job. I think the Bears want a more immediate fix.

If Arians can’t fix a QB I don’t know that he can be fixed. 

13 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

$52 million spent on the 2020 cap leaving $17 million to rollover

Keep in mind without a new CBA there currently is no cap rollover into 2021 under the terms of the final year of the existing agreement.

He said after the season that he wants to be compensated as a “top corner” and reiterated that “any team that makes that offer that’s willing to pay me what I feel like I’m worth” will be in consideration for the coming season.

He isn't even a top ten CB and he wants to be paid like a top corner, c'mon !

Archived