Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

This was the most interesting part of that profile in my opinion. I have no problem going after a guy like Harris because it can sure up a need position, but with Kyle getting his promotion, I would love to see us bringing in more guys with his size and speed and profiles. I mean look at the stuff mentioned here first team all american junior year but he went undrafted? Why didn't we draft him in the 7th? And who's the next Anthony Harris? 

Love Kyle and I have faith in him but its not easy to find stars among the undrafted.  I am tired of swinging and missing at FS mostly with picks from round 4th or lower including undrafted dudes.    

It took Harris 5 years to emerge so he didn't hit the ground running right out of the gate.   It's somewhat a cerebral position where experience arguably helps more than the typical spot, especially if they play a lot of cover 1 as some purport that Del Rio likes to do. 

Every now and then a team hits on an undrafted players.  We've done it with Antonio Pierce.  Looks like Steve Sims is a find.  But its not easy to pull super stars from the pool of undrafted players on a regular basis.  you keep swinging and once in awhile you will get lucky. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Kyle and I have faith in him but its not easy to find stars among the undrafted.  I am tired of swinging and missing at FS mostly with picks from round 4th or lower including undrafted dudes.    

It took Harris 5 years to emerge so he didn't hit the ground running right out of the gate.   It's somewhat a cerebral position where experience arguably helps more than the typical spot, especially if they play a lot of cover 1 as some purport that Del Rio likes to do. 

Every now and then a team hits on an undrafted players.  We've done it with Antonio Pierce.  Looks like Steve Sims is a find.  But its not easy to pull super stars from the pool of undrafted players on a regular basis.  you keep swinging and once in awhile you will get lucky. 

It depends on what you're going after. If this was a contention year....actually I don't like that term becausse I think every year is a contention year. But if we were one player away, or if we weren't in year one of a new regime, then I could get on board with the free agent route here. But why spend more money just to go 5-11? If we can find a gem right now then we can be grooming him to be the next Harris when we're finally successful. 

Its not me being against Harris in particular, I'm just hella cheap and looking to save money whenever possible. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

in fairness to the dummies that were in charge, there was a little more effort than that. They traded for HaHa, which was dumb. We signed Swearinger and he looked very good for us and got cut for speaking the truth about our defensive coaching. We hit on Kyshoen Jarrett in the draft. I think we’ve mostly sucked as a team because we have made poor FA signings and failed to identify/procure/retain an upper tier QB and because our defensive coaches have sucked ever since I can remember. It’s hard to have talent everywhere. The great/terrible thing about the NFL is that every team is close. We can all say, if we added a little here or there, we could be really good. We are in that boat too. 

12 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Apke actually looked competent last year to be honest.  We all know he's got speed.  I wouldn't disregard Apke.

I have a feeling most will disagree.  However, Apke was clearly raw coming out, and our defensive coaching has blown.  Let's see what Del Rio's staff can do...

To put it another way - players (like Norman) have shown that they are capable of playing well and knowing their assignments.  Yet, in our system, he has often appeared lost.  Now you take a raw player coming out of college, and throw him in a system where even the veterans appear routinely lost.... honestly, what did we really expect?

That doesn't mean Apke will develop, but its like we bought a small plant at the store, forgot to water it, and then blamed the plant for not growing....

18 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I have a feeling most will disagree.  However, Apke was clearly raw coming out, and out defensive coaching has blown.  Let's see what Del Rio's staff can do...

We can hope that Apke is a Harris type and gets better with time, but we obviously can't count on that. 

I don't think we need to be planning around being very good next year. It should be viewed more as a developmental year, probably. I certainly would invest enough on offense to help Haskins develop. Conklin, Hooper, even Amari Cooper, and resign Trent and our interior linemen. As much as I'd like to see us go all in, I could understand the argument that we should be planning to peak in 2021, with a 3rd year Haskins and Montez Sweat and a second year Chase Young. 

How does the 2021 free agency class look if we are trying to decide on what to add this year, and what to add next year?

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

I have a feeling most will disagree.  However, Apke was clearly raw coming out, and out defensive coaching has blown.  Let's see what Del Rio's staff can do...

I am old enough to know that I don't know enough when it comes to why some guys are drafted and what kind of potential they have. I will say that I saw Apke play a lot at Penn State and some with the Skins and I don't see enough to consider him a legit prospect as an NFL safety. He was supposed to be a special teams stand out and a developmental safety from what I remember. Has he fulfilled either role? I wonder if he'll even make the team in 2020. That being said, I know there's a learning curve in the NFL so maybe he takes the next step and shows something? 

11 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Apke actually looked competent last year to be honest.  We all know he's got speed.  I wouldn't disregard Apke.

I'm 100% with this, but I want a an actual legitimate full time FS behind our defense for the first time that I can remember. It's been infuriating watching us throw out corners at that spot and late round picks who wash out of the league, while guys like Fitz take a defense from bad to great. 

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

It depends on what you're going after. If this was a contention year....actually I don't like that term becausse I think every year is a contention year. But if we were one player away, or if we weren't in year one of a new regime, then I could get on board with the free agent route here. But why spend more money just to go 5-11? If we can find a gem right now then we can be grooming him to be the next Harris when we're finally successful. 

Its not me being against Harris in particular, I'm just hella cheap and looking to save money whenever possible. 

SF went from having the 2nd pick in the draft to being in the championship game. They took a pass rusher from Ohio State and Jimmy G came back from injury and now look at them.

Not saying that happens with us but I don't think the idea is crazy if Haskins plays well.   We had mostly crap QB play last season and we couldn't get off the field on third down.  A crazy good pass rusher and an emerging Haskins could make this team good fast.  Guice-Love-Peterson = potentially a great running game.   Better coaching. Better culture.

I don't see this as a 5-11 roster.  But Haskins is the lynchpin IMO.  If he struggles this could be a 5-11 team.  But if he looks like did in the last two games, I don't think its crazy to think this might be Dan's first 11-5 team. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.13.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.13.42 AM.png

11 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

in fairness to the dummies that were in charge, there was a little more effort than that. They traded for HaHa, which was dumb. We signed Swearinger and he looked very good for us and got cut for speaking the truth about our defensive coaching. We hit on Kyshoen Jarrett in the draft. I think we’ve mostly sucked as a team because we have made poor FA signings and failed to identify/procure/retain an upper tier QB and because our defensive coaches have sucked ever since I can remember. It’s hard to have talent everywhere. The great/terrible thing about the NFL is that every team is close. We can all say, if we added a little here or there, we could be really good. We are in that boat too. 

I was referring more to the draft.  4th round or lower.  Swearinger was a good signing at the time and he was an exception to their approach at FS not the norm.  We had Atogwe, J. Johnson. Meriweather, an aging Ryan Clark, Goldson (trade) and I know I am missing some. 

As for Haha I was ok with the trade for a 4th but I also recall all the articles from the GB reporters at the time about how he struggled there, not a willingly tackler among other things -- I posted those articles and it got scoffed at by some who said it was bitter grapes from the GB media.  In retrospect they didn't see that off.  They couldn't keep him anyway so it was just a rental. 

I feel dirty saying this, but should we consider signing Kareem Hunt?  He’s a RFA. He’s young, and he’s a beast. Allows us to move on from AD with a healthy young stud who can catch, which is huge in Turner’s offense. 

Just a terrible human being, so I doubt Rivera would go that direction. But if we’re keeping Foster...

Tre Boston just makes too much sense. As much as I'd love Anthony Harris, the Vikings will want to keep him and there will be a bunch of other teams lined up to give him a huge pro day. Given the price tag, production, and Panthers connection, I think it's very likely we see Tre Boston sign here. It seems like a low cost, no brainer of a move that would be a huge upgrade and would also allow us to spend more money at CB, TE, OL, etc. 

17 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I feel dirty saying this, but should we consider signing Kareem Hunt?  He’s a RFA. He’s young, and he’s a beast. Allows us to move on from AD with a healthy young stud who can catch, which is huge in Turner’s offense. 

Just a terrible human being, so I doubt Rivera would go that direction. But if we’re keeping Foster...

Very doubtful. Hunt could be very good in this offense I agree, but Guice and Love are both outstanding in their own right. Love was considered a 1st round talent at one point. If they can get and stay healthy, our ground game is going to be top-tier. AP is still effective and has earned his role with the team. I think they will add a RB in the draft but don't see them placing much capital in the position unless the reports on Guice and Love turn for the worse.

Most teams this year seam to have enough cash to sign their own FA. 

Dallas has 80 million. 

Minnesota is over the cap by 5 million

Tennessee has 60 million

Indianapolis has 90 million

Carolina has 20 million

Looking at that, I'd say that the Cowboys can probably afford Byron Jones, Dak, and Amari but otherwise won't be too active. Indianapolis will retain Costanzo. Tennessee will retain Jack Conklin. 

We already know that Carolina have told Tre Boston that they likely won't retain him. I don't know how much importance they will put on Bradbury or Daryl Williams. I'm really starting to think that Daryl Williams will be a Redskin. Assuming Conklin isn't available, Williams could compete with Moses for the RT spot and at worst, we'd have more depth, in case of injury. 

Looking at those numbers also makes me think that Minnesota isn't going to retain Harris and that Dallas may not be able to afford him. I'd LOVE him in a Skins' uniform. And, as an ex UVA player, he may have some affinity for this area. 

Also, the new defensive staff and head coach, our current DL talent, and the likelihood that we will be drafting Chase Young has to make us more appealing as a destination for FA CB's and safeties. They shouldn't be left to cover for too long, and should have plenty of opportunities to intercept passes that were thrown under duress. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Tre Boston just makes too much sense. As much as I'd love Anthony Harris, the Vikings will want to keep him and there will be a bunch of other teams lined up to give him a huge pro day. Given the price tag, production, and Panthers connection, I think it's very likely we see Tre Boston sign here. It seems like a low cost, no brainer of a move that would be a huge upgrade and would also allow us to spend more money at CB, TE, OL, etc. 

I agree.  And I'd rather pair Tre Boston with a marquee FA CB like Jones or Bradberry than pair Harris with a discount FA CB.  

The only thing I worry about with Boston is his penchant for missing tackles, which is a silent killer for a defense.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Very doubtful. Hunt could be very good in this offense I agree, but Guice and Love are both outstanding in their own right. Love was considered a 1st round talent at one point. If they can get and stay healthy, our ground game is going to be top-tier. AP is still effective and has earned his role with the team. I think they will add a RB in the draft but don't see them placing much capital in the position unless the reports on Guice and Love turn for the worse.

Yeah, I just have very serious doubts either Guice and Love can get through a full 16 game season at this point.  I honestly doubt they can get through half a season without getting injuries that force them to sit out for a game or more.  Fingers crossed, I guess.

I could see Phil Rivers to Tampa, Jacksonville, or even Miami considering he moved out of Cali to Florida.  Tampa seems like the perfect fit.  If Tampa lets Winston go, I could see Winston to the Colts or Jags.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree.  And I'd rather pair Tre Boston with a marquee FA CB like Jones or Bradberry than pair Harris with a discount FA CB.  

The only thing I worry about with Boston is his penchant for missing tackles, which is a silent killer for a defense.

Yeah, I just have very serious doubts either Guice and Love can get through a full 16 game season at this point.  I honestly doubt they can get through half a season without getting injuries that force them to sit out for a game or more.  Fingers crossed, I guess.

Well, AP is signed for next year anyways.  We all know his instincts are still there.

53 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The FA list seems to be getting a bit longer with the Foster news.

Fully expect Dan to get the cash out again and support Rivera with 3 or 4 fairly high priced FA.

You mean Reuben?  It’s sort of a tale of two sides - 1) didn’t know there was a major foot problem, but 2) it sounds like they found the remedy.  I would guess he’s behind ACL rehab because of the foot, but he can now focus on that over the next however many months.   

On 1/18/2020 at 2:51 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't know much about Kareem Hunt outside of that one incident. It was obviously stupid and showed extremely poor judgment. But that one incident does seem a bit different than someone who beats on their girlfriends/wives. So I don't know if there's evidence to suggest this was more of an isolated incident or emblematic of repeated behavior by Hunt. That said, he's an RFA, which likely means Cleveland would match any reasonable offer. So how much do you really want to pay Kareem Hunt? 

41 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I don't know much about Kareem Hunt outside of that one incident. It was obviously stupid and showed extremely poor judgment. But that one incident does seem a bit different than someone who beats on their girlfriends/wives. So I don't know if there's evidence to suggest this was more of an isolated incident or emblematic of repeated behavior by Hunt. That said, he's an RFA, which likely means Cleveland would match any reasonable offer. So how much do you really want to pay Kareem Hunt? 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/sport/kareem-hunt-previous-incidents/index.html

Three violent incidents in a year. And pushing a woman down and kicking her is not bad judgement. His talent doesn't justify the moral compromise.

58 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I would love to steal Amari Cooper. Cooper across from McLaurin would be such a huge talent upgrade. Imagine adding Hooper or Henry and Cooper and getting Trent back. Would be such a huge upgrade on offense. 

Archived