Sign in to follow this  
Thinking Skins

About quoting pictures (and tweets)

One thing I notice is that when quoting a tweet its automatically embedded into the message and so instead of seeing a link, we see the actual tweet. First, I'm not sure if quoting tweets counts as quoting images and I'm not here to call anybody on that if it does. But what I've wondered about a lot (especially in the twitter thread(s) years ago) was if this embedding slows things down like images do? But even that's not the main point of my post. 

What I wonder about is the option of just allowing users to just see the links to the tweets (or the images) instead of embedding them. Even if this is not done on initial posts (because it is really helpful to see the content of tweets or the images), doing a conversion from the embedded tweet or image to the link would be something that could save a lot of frustration on the end of the users of the site (and I guess) the mods. I've been playing with this in the rss feeds of different sites and its definitely doable there. I'm not sure how much backend programming it would take but again, I think it could help with some of the frustrations. 

Also, I think that in the old days of the  site  we'd just post an image by using image tags or something like that 'img' or 'image' or 'figure' or something like that. Is this still the case because if so then removing the images from replies would just involve stripping these tags?

It's either the chain link icon in your editor or the Tx 

Posted (edited)

280px-US_Army_51673_aerobathon.jpg

So when I'm cicking the Tx and the link icon its not giving me much. 

Wikipedia Link

THat was a test to see if the img tags worked and they do. But I'm wondering if we can write a script that automatically removes img tags from within quotes like that last one (side edit. I'd ask for you not to ban me for that edit. I could take it out but I want to leave it because I'm interested in seeing if we can write a script to resolve this problem with less people getting into trouble for it. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
test

As I think about this, there was a thing a few years ago where certain words would automatically be replaced by other words like Cowboys would be Cowgirls or something like that. I think that's all we need. 

I want to say that quote tags followed by img tags should be replaced by just quote tags. But its more complicated than that. Any time text is within a quote tag, it shouldn't be allowed to have image tags. So its an advanced auto replace. 

$pos0 = 0;
while ($strpos($mystring, "[quote]", $pos0) !== false)
{
	#pos0 = $strpos($mystring, "[quote]") + 1;
	$sub = substr($mystring, strpos($mystring, "[quote]"), 7);
	$sub = substr($sub, strpos($sub, "[\quote]"), -7)
	while ($strpos($sub, "[img]") !== false)
	{
		$sub2 = substr($sub, strpos($sub, "[img]"), 5);
		$sub2 = substr($sub2, strpos($sub2, "[\img]"), -5);
		$sub = $sub2;
	}
}

Would something like this work?

I was going to make a suggestion to @Jumbo from his post in the RTT but then thought it really should apply to the whole board.  Then come here and see this thread and figured my opinion could go here.

Last I remember, quoting tweets was decided to not be the same as quoting pics.  I'd recommend we change that.  I hate seeing visionary (bless that man) post 4 or 5 tweets and then scrolling down just to see those same tweets because someone quoted him.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

@TK

in reply to buzz

if i had my druthers we'd be able to enforce rule 11 here too...it makes threads so much easier to read...so many people quote pics over and over (or large blocks of text) that could easily be edited out without their post losing any meaning

but getting people to comply seems next to impossible and banning good regular posters---even a couple days--- is yucksville

so it's a pain

4 hours ago, Jumbo said:

@TK

in reply to buzz

if i had my druthers we'd be able to enforce rule 11 here too...it makes threads so much easier to read...so many people quote pics over and over (or large blocks of text) that could easily be edited out without their post losing any meaning

but getting people to comply seems next to impossible and banning good regular posters---even a couple days--- is yucksville

so it's a pain

I hesitate to tell you all how to do your jobs but I’ll just share my experience.  I quoted a pic one time a few years back and got a warning point.  Learned my lesson and haven’t done it since.  Don’t know if that system still exists or how much it is used or it’s effectiveness.  But worked for me.

Posted (edited)

A few years ago before updating to this current forum software, it used to automatically remove pictures from quotes.  That was back in the days when BBcodes were still used, and they remained in code-format while in the reply-box.  I miss those days; it was always much easier dealing with the BBcodes rather than fighting against the formatted objects that sometimes won't let me delete something from a quote.  So much simpler  highlighting-and-deleting unwanted BBcodes than navigating the cursor to the front of objects and pressing backspace while praying that it will actually delete the thing it should.

Can't remember if we had the anti-picture-quoting feature during the transition period where there was a switch to choose between formatted-replies and raw-text.

Edited by PokerPacker

On 1/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I hesitate to tell you all how to do your jobs but I’ll just share my experience.  I quoted a pic one time a few years back and got a warning point.  Learned my lesson and haven’t done it since.  Don’t know if that system still exists or how much it is used or it’s effectiveness.  But worked for me.

that is the standard day to day process, buzz---giving those warnings

there are times where the volume of certain rule violations go through the roof and times when only one or two mods seem to be actually checking the board for basic rule violations and times when both overlap, which for quite awhile has been "most of the time"

the amount of "modding" done has been left to each individual mod in terms of time/work actually done, good or bad policy as it may be

and we run the pinned "hey, fix this" type mod threads every so often like rick just put up in the tailgate, and has been up in the stadium recently

that usually helps for awhile at least

it always comes back to the same bottom line, unfortunately---we tell people when they register that their first priority here is to learn and follow the rules----unfortunately too many simply decide not to hold themselves responsible for that agreement even though they made it and yet enjoy the results of how this board is run by the unpaid people who keep it going, apparently without much regard for the extra work they generate for unpaid people putting time, thought, and effort into moderating

though i know almost everyone is quick to praise and appreciate the staff here it would make some of us a lot more happy just to see long time regs adhere to the basic well-known rules and give us a lot less to do, especially of giving out penalties and bans which is very rarely anything but a pain/drag/unwanted deal on our end

• Like 2