Burgold

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

57 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Sure, I get that, but that's a whoooooooole different discussion because now we're talking dollars and cents versus taking an actual stand. My own personal opinion? I think "The Shield" cares more about money than any mindset. Because of that, whatever popular opinion lies is where they'll go.

I think we are saying the same thing really. I dont think the NFL or the Redskins for that matter care about taking a stand. They say it all the time - this is a business. And smart money right now in 2020 is to at least fake like you are taking a stand and hope they dont catch you. I bet the NFL will try and do just that. 

44 minutes ago, Veretax said:

My only problem with this logic, is you risk ticking off a large percentage of the fanbases of the NFL...  If they are okay with that, then so be it, but I think the shield doesn't want that.   I said when all this crap with Colin started, that the players are trying to say they want a way to do more, and the way the NFL and teams reacted pressed by people like us, sure, didn't really solve the problem.  They could have given them a bone, but chose not to.  The question is.... Do they get a Femur now?  or the whole skeleton?

You aint wrong. I think they risk pissing folks off regardless. Thats the funny part about this. You can make one bad move and then the internet turns on you and its over. What I think they should do is study what NASCAR is doing and try not to make any waves until they see if it works. I think they should play it down the middle personally. But I can see that messing them up too. I dunno man. Its a messy situation, which is why i think it was dumb of coach to involve himself in it. All of this could have been avoided. And he had to know that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

I think you're unintentionally hitting the issue some people have. It's not "avoid political debate on social media" that's the issue, it's the "if you don't subscribe to a certain group-think, keep your thoughts to yourself" that's the problem.

There is an impression, much of it by example, that when people say they want dialogue, what they really want is to make a audience captive to their monologue and not really have actual dialogue. "Dialogue" becomes defined as "Accept what I have to say and agree with it lock step our I'll publicly label you as part of the problem."

If men are permitted to kneel during the National Anthem without any course of action taken, JDR is also permitted to his views. You can't just allow one or have one force the other to change,

Agree.

So we should see Rivera relay that position very soon. He should say, JDR can say what the f. he likes...

Posted (edited)

I think one thing we can all agree on, is for football reasons and not political, that JDR should probably not be spending much time on twitter.

I don't recall any coach being that active on there.

And politics aside, the fact that he's so into it, is a football concern. He's got a lot of work to do with this defense, especially with all the complications of the limited in-person activities. Ha, then again, maybe the reason he's spending so much time on Twitter, is because everything is being done virtual these days - all the football-related stuff is being done on the computer, so it's that much more tempting to open up a tab for Twitter...like most people do at their respective jobs.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think one thing we can all agree on, is for football reasons and not political, that JDR should probably not be spending much time on twitter.

I don't recall any coach being that active on there.

And politics aside, the fact that he's so into it, is a football concern. He's got a lot of work to do with this defense, especially with all the complications of the limited in-person activities.

Imagine if Haskins would have done the opposite of this. Lmao I almost wish I had a pocket reality to simulate this. I bet lots and lots of dollars the "he can say what the **** he wants" crowd would see it a whoooole lot different. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

On 6/24/2020 at 5:05 PM, MartinC said:

Lets keep this kind of thought to Tailgate. Focus in this thread is impact on the team.

This is a Mod directive which falls under Rule 18. You all should know what it is & if not, you all should know where to find it at by now. That's a hint to go look it up ya goofs. :) 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:36 PM, redskinss said:

This board is very left leaning and for the most part when someone like say, twa for example voices his political beliefs he doesn't get a whole lot of people to agree with him, but we do pretty much all agree he has the right to have them and voice them.

Why is jack del rio not afforded the same right?

Yes I understand he's in a position of influence and it's probably not smart to create controversy and the best thing for us and the team is to be very politically correct and just focus on football but he could say anything he wanted politically as long as it was liberal and nobody would care and no stories or controversies would start but if he speaks his mind about right wing beliefs he's crossing a line he has no right to cross.

I despise trump and his lackeys as much as the next guy but one thing that irritates the hell out of me about the left is the cancel culture it created and nourished.

If you are in a place of power and influence you can say whatever you want politically and it's your right, as long as its liberal but if its conservative they should be fired and banished. 

I've already seen multiple examples in this thread calling for del rio to be fired.

Being upset about someone's opinion is your right.

Having an opinion other than that of someone else is also your right.

Getting an internet mob to call for someone's resignation or banishment everytime they have an opinion other than yours is just an end around of the first amendment in my opinion.

23 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think it's important to note, as vaguely as possible to keep it Stadium-worthy, that these are not normal times and the types of "politics" being discussed and disagreed on are not your 1999 D vs. R debate at the kitchen table. To pretend that the issues making up our current political discourse (and disagreement) in this country are just your average everyday "hey everybody has a right to their opinion on politics" things really undersells or misunderstands the moment we're living in. 

There's a worldwide, foundation-altering plague on while hundreds of thousands righteously rise up in the streets of a country that for a very long time has liked to believe it already leads in all categories.

These are not normal times where someone voicing a "political" opinion carries normal weight. Imagine going back and arguing that someone who stood against the original rising tide of civil rights was just "voicing their political opinion", for example. There are certain issues where the "agree to disagree" political opposition vanishes into the history books as we move forward, because we decide what is right and what is wrong and give up relitigating it. Not everybody will agree that we are living through a time like that right now...but for many, that is the gravity these issues have.

Which bring us back around to this: someone in a position of authority voicing political opinions in 2020 is not like your drunk uncle having unpopular opinions at Thanksgiving while everyone is clearing the plates. There are big things happening in the world, historic things. Opinions in these times carry more weight and more consequence and a leader needs to know that and be a professional. 

21 hours ago, RWJ said:

As an American JDR along with any American has the RIGHT to like or dislike any U.S. President he wants.  Where does it say in the Constitution of the U.S. that he can't?  Please show me and provide a link!  It's quite sad how Extreme Radicals and those who hate this Country are trying to tear it apart!  Let's ALL learn to get along, Love one another, Love our Country and God has Blessed our Country with the Freedom we have had thus far and let's keep it that way.  Mods, forgive me for the rant.  I respect this site as many that know me I hope would attest.  Peace, out.  :) 

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well our running back was vocal about the virus being fake and the earth being flat or some dumb **** and he's played 2 games in 2 years and he's still on the roster.

"yet"  :ols:

He's old and on the twitternets. Those boomers are defenseless out there.

Totally agree. Wtf happened to the republican party? Use to be great having conservatives around and now they're just a bunch of racist assholes giving all out money to corporations and the rich and raising spending and taxes. They're becoming a terrorist organisation. 

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dude, I'm talking politics in the stadium and you keep quoting me. I'm only 46 but you're gonna give me a heart attack. :ols:

Sorry boomer.  :D

Yeah. At least you're self aware enough to know you what you were doing was a no no. :table2:

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

This is gonna be interesting because will all the lefties be allowed to support Biden and be unscathed (the same guy that said u have to go to dunkin or 7 11 with a slight indian accent) or are we gonna only be upset at conservatives like JDR for being in support of the current president...also im not in support of either side i think both sides are moronic, but i feel ppl like JDR should be allowed to express their beliefs without having to worry about being fired

7 hours ago, nonniey said:

"He needs to tread lightly." That says a lot about the path the woke have taken. DeL Rio has a right to his views and what he posted to date doesn't, nor should it, warrant the mob coming for him (not that that will stop them). 

7 hours ago, FuriousD said:

For starters, I'm pretty sure you can't throw the descriptor "lefties" out there and then reasonably claim you don't support one side over the other.  Secondly, freedom of speech is not protected in the workplace nor on social media.

But with regard to JDR.. what about his exhibiting a complete lack of good judgement? And in this political climate to boot!  It's very sad frankly because I want to like the guy and I want him to help us win games but here, your use of the word moronic is quite apt!

But you also use that word to describe the side marching and fighting for civil rights and equal protection under the law!  Is equal protection under the law moronic to you?

Here's the deal, so pay attention. :)

So far, I'm not banning any of you. :headbang:

HOWEVER :evil:

The next one that continues to talk politics in the Stadium, will result in not only themselves getting banned, but also get the previous "free pass" offenders banned as well.

As Coach Gibbs would say, "You're ALL in this together." :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yay, what better way to get a "coaching" thread back on track, than to end a post with a quote from one of the greatest coaches ever.

Stay medium broski 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Stay medium broski 

But not before checking the tape first ;) 

also, by “previous first pass offenders”, that doesn’t include those that have gotten a free pass, say, 2 years ago, does it?

...asking for a friend (note: that was a joke—a bad one, but a joke nonetheless) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Stay super smart, guys.

post your guts out :D

(but always follow mod directives :taz:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

"He needs to tread lightly." That says a lot about the path the woke have taken. DeL Rio has a right to his views and what he posted to date doesn't, nor should it, warrant the mob coming for him (not that that will stop them). 

It's not about being "woke".  Its about knowing the room, and in this case, the locker room.  He's got a locker room of black players, if he decides to openly support somebody who at minimum, doesnt support them, and at worst is s racist, how do you think that's gonna go over? 

If you decide to put your opinions out on a public platform, I dont wanna hear about the mob.  Nobody's telling him to put his political views out there.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, justice98 said:

It's not about being "woke".  Its about knowing the room, and in this case, the locker room.  He's got a locker room of black players, if he decides to openly support somebody who at minimum, doesnt support them, and at worst is s racist, how do you think that's gonna go over? 

If you decide to put your opinions out on a public platform, I dont wanna hear about the mob.  Nobody's telling him to put his political views out there.

I’d be willing to bet that there’s a fair amount of right-leaning coaches in the NFL and in college and has been that way for years. The general consensus that Trump is racist is not new. So the question is why, now would it suddenly become an issue for players playing under those coaches?

Edited by PartyPosse

there's little room for doubt in my analysis that his comments have created a sizable amount of ill will with many players, whether one likes that or not (my personal stance is i'm fine with that reaction on several levels)...i don't begrudge them more serious reactions in the future depending on how things go with rivera and jdr who i will assume are at least somewhat addressing and working the matter behind closed doors however they're choosing to do so.

not knowing anything about that makes it hard to judge the hc/front office activity on important stuff....which raises another question of is being relatively silent about it good strategy for the team or not...note this is all team-reaction focused, guys, that's the model to follow as martin said from the get-go

i don't want to detail more about my thinking here, which goes more to ethical/moral than political but i want to avoid even getting near the guard-rails since i truly value the absence of politics* and religion in the stadium as one of the most important core aspects of es

*which makes discussing these rare team-relevant but very sociopolitical topics tricky though we give it a try when appropriate

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Veretax said:

I want to be very, very clear.   If action is taken against JDR for exercising his freedom of speech, when we are finally as a league forgiving Kaepernick for his earlier escapades.  I will turn in my fan card for this team, and it will be dead to me.  Not because of his politics, but because I am sick and tired of stuff not related to football being used to derail this team.  Move on front office, focus on playing the game, and fix the problem quietly in house if you have to, but don't give into the circular firing squad going on right now in politics.  We've all had enough of it.

Agreed its no longer about a game anymore it feels like.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This thread was so bad it shut down the board for a couple hours damn

I was sure i had been kicked out of ES earlier today when it kept saying “community not available” 😂 glad it wasn’t just me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

@justice98 @PartyPosse @CjSuAvE22 did you guys see the Mod directive above you ?

I blame @Burgold for all this mess. He started the thread....jk 😉

I don't think anything I said was political, but more an indictment on how players will react to having coaches with different beliefs. This isn't a new thing. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This thread was so bad it shut down the board for a couple hours damn

Didn't realize that was global..  Apologies to all for my part in that.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:28 AM, PartyPosse said:

The fact that people are saying he deserves to be fired because of his leanings makes me hate people more than anything. Cancel Culture is no longer about vindication against criminals so much as it’s now “if you don’t agree with everything I believe then you deserve to have your life ruined.”

This right here..I came in to give my two cents..and this is what I would say..good stuff..good god how disgusting is social media..

9 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

how disgusting is social media..

I'm torn because on one hand I want to go to twitter to keep up with what's happening, but I have to sift through the 99% "blech" just to find something worthwhile reading