Renegade7

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can definitely create plenty of space but I'm not sure we will need it all, I looked at the upcoming free agents and it's not impressive.

We don’t need to really. But rolling excess into 2021 will be nice to absorb the Smith release and Allen/Payne /etc coming due. But yeah. I feel ya. We always predict we create more than we do. I’d be Norman Reed and Richardson to get us to $75m makes too much sense and is more than enough 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can definitely create plenty of space but I'm not sure we will need it all, I looked at the upcoming free agents and it's not impressive.

I agree, and would not advise spending it all this year jus because we have it.  Having it is step one as part of a long term plan that includes eventually offering extensions.

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don’t rule out drafting a RB in the 4-6 rounds this year for depth but I think between Guice and Love you have legit stars. I don’t think you need to go get a 3rd star as the backfield will just have too many guys. 

Potential doesnt equal production.  AP likely starter again next year and see what happens with Guice and Love to spell him.  If AP wants to finish his career here, let him, hes exactly the kinda a guy Rivera wants in that locker room, someone needs to take his job, not be given to them.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree, and would not advise spending it all this year jus because we have it.  Having it is step one as part of a long term plan that includes eventually offering extensions.

Agreed, this would be a good year to take care of our own and roll the rest over.

J Allen is going into a contract year, we all know about Scherff, Trent wants more money.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We don’t need to really. But rolling excess into 2021 will be nice to absorb the Smith release and Allen/Payne /etc coming due. But yeah. I feel ya. We always predict we create more than we do. I’d be Norman Reed and Richardson to get us to $75m makes too much sense and is more than enough 

I agree, we could use the buffer to absorb the final $30M in guaranteed money but I think the team is 100% behind Alex, we may hold onto him for next year and after that, we can get out of his deal for $10M.

We'll see but I agree this is a good year to wipe some bad debt off the books and extend some players.

Edited by JSSkinz

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I really like Guice and want to agree with you, i have his jersey, but Cook didnt injury his knee in college nor finish his only two NFL seasons on IR.  We've all seen this movie before, I cant even process Brandon Love right now after Keith Marshall : (

I doubt Guice would have been put in IR had we been in contention. It just made sense to not take chances.

Also, I hope Brandon Love is as good as Bryce Love. 

• Haha 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

I doubt Guice would have been put in IR had we been in contention. It just made sense to not take chances.

They are paid to play football, he's part of this horrible habit we've gotten into saying if we have 5 injury-prone players we can hope for 2-3 to be healthy at same time to average out.  It's been killing us the last couple years, it doesn't work.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Also, I hope Brandon Love is as good as Bryce Love. 

Fair, I'll go fix it.

I am probably the only person who wants to bring back Case for the backup QB need. It needs to be cheap and the fans won’t be itching for him to go in if DH has a bad game. 

Who knows if Trent can wear a helmet and take blows at this point (figured he played it up to not have to play).  We should trade him to get the 2nd rounder we gave to get Sweat.  I don't think we should trade Allen whatsoever.  I'd trade Payne first if we had to get rid of one DL.  We'd still have Brantley and others cheaper for backup roles.

Kerrigan has already told his agent he wants to stay a redskin and make that work so perhaps he is willing to restructure his deal.

46 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Cutting Alex Smith actually takes off about $20 million in cap space but frees up A ton in 2021

Smith has a cap hit of 21m if he stay on the roster in 2020 on his current terms.

if we cut him, that cap hit would accelate his future unallocated signing bonus and become 32m in total.

we have a reported 12m insurance policy on him to offset against the cap on release.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Let's add both Henry boys. Derrick and Hunter both. 

A thunder and lightning approach of Hunter and a healthy Guice would be something special. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Who knows if Trent can wear a helmet and take blows at this point (figured he played it up to not have to play).  We should trade him to get the 2nd rounder we gave to get Sweat.  I don't think we should trade Allen whatsoever.  I'd trade Payne first if we had to get rid of one DL.  We'd still have Brantley and others cheaper for backup roles.

Think Allen might be odd man out in the rotation because he can't play 4-3 NT role the way Payne can, especially if we draft Young.  Why I wouldn't be against trading him, but we'll have to see what that looks like, because Matt is better then him, but think they can both play DT and DE, something Payne can't.

Kerrigan has already told his agent he wants to stay a redskin and make that work so perhaps he is willing to restructure his deal.

I'm all for outside the box thinking: what if we offer to cut Kerrigan and bring him back like the Nats did Zimmerman?  Zimm's contract didn't make sense for his age and production, so they didn't restructure.  If Kerrigan is serious, he'll say "yes", call his bluff, he's going to be making too much for essentially becoming a rotational player who doesn't start anymore once we go 4-3.  Different convo if we stayed 3-4.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here are the easy ones for me:

- Cut Norman ($12.5)

- Cut Reed ($8.5)

- Cut Richardson ($6.5)

Cap carryover ($12.5) on top of our current space ($34) gets you to $46.5. Those cuts get you to $74 million. 

That includes keeping Trent and Kerrigan. I can’t see Ryan leaving or being cut. But if Trent won’t come back then trade him for a late 1st and that takes you to $86.5 million

$76m is plenty though. Get a CB1, TE1 resign Scherff And a couple vets and you still probably have $30-35m to roll over into 2021 

Totally on board with this. With that much cap, I'd be for just taking the hit cutting Smith. 

I don't think letting Kerrigan go is a good idea either. Even if we were to draft Chase, rotational depth is always good. I think our approach to O-line and Secondary this FA should be players that can stay healthy if even its a bunch of JAGs. We gotta stop fielding a team of players off the streets the 2nd half the season. 

I think that also works with taking the Smith cap hit now, and saving cap for next year. If we can go into 2021 with nice cap space, hopefully pick up some extra draft picks for that draft this off-season. The team has a year of experience with Riveria . Adapt and learn this year, go full on attack in 2021 in F.A. and the draft. 

Edited by ShredSkins
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Let's add both Henry boys. Derrick and Hunter both. 

A thunder and lightning approach of Hunter and a healthy Guice would be something special. 

No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

I am probably the only person who wants to bring back Case for the backup QB need. It needs to be cheap and the fans won’t be itching for him to go in if DH has a bad game. 

I don't think it would be cheap.  I have this feeling that he's now established himself as a guy other teams go to to bridge the gap to their new superstar QB.

• Like 1

If we are unable to move Kerrigan/other for  draft capital to get another wr, then I would absolutely kick the tires on AJ Green. Green/McLaurin/Sims is a great 3 wr lineup. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here are the easy ones for me:

- Cut Norman ($12.5)

- Cut Reed ($8.5)

- Cut Richardson ($6.5)

$76m is plenty though. Get a CB1, TE1 resign Scherff And a couple vets and you still probably have $30-35m to roll over into 2021 

P rich saving is only 2.5 mil, due to accelerating the prorated bonuses into the current year.  He would be a wait and see for me, bc while I would love to shed the contract of someone who has really underperformed, I think he is the type of we that would really benefit Haskins, and I want him to have a strong year 2. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/paul-richardson-14454/

Same for Moses, I want to see what happens with TW and scherff, if they both leave, I think you have to hang onto Moses for another year.

As for kerrigan, I'd love to get a 3rd for him, but being such a good leader and veteran, if he wants to return, I'd be ok with that.  This year is about changing the culture, and he is a good one to have in tow, especially with so much youth.

Alex Smith - I'd love to shed the contract, but the 75 mil or whatever we enter the off-season with goes quicker than you may think, we might be better off keeping him for one more year.  If we do sign a big name or two - like Hooper or bradberry, along with scherff being retained, flowers re signed, rookie pool, then filling out the roster with smaller deals, and wanting to enter the season with a little cushion for injuries during the season, we might be better off in the short term to keep Smith on the roster, due to the extra cap room keeping him would give us for 2020, along with him being a solid mentor for Haskins.

Norman and Reed are good as gone.

Dunbar, considering his productivity and relatively low cap number, will be kept in the fold.

If you asked me a month ago, I would have said to cut them all (except Dunbar), and to build back up, but I believe in the new coaching staff, and I want to see them field a competitive team next year, just to boost morale and confidence.  I've kinda lost the "tear this whole thing down" mentality, and that's a good feeling.  I think we should all expect to compete for the division next year.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

What are we going to do with this $100m? 

Sharks with laser beams, of course.

Image result for 100 million dollars austin powers

For real, let the restructured front office and Rivera figure out what to do with that, point is to give them that option as part of the long-term plan, not just short-term.  2020 season is shot even if we spent it all, which we shouldn't, there's just too many holes, we need more picks for cheap talent.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

I agree wholeheartedly regarding Allen and I am not sure that Danny Boy was not aligned with some of that bull ****.  

Okay but here is my only point regarding TW.  What if Rivera talks to him, the air is cleared, and you take him back for one year even as a stopgap and then let him test his wares in FA.   I guess I am looking at who is going to be available in FA at LT.  And if we do the BPA at #2 it is Chase Young and we are not picking again until the third round where does that leave us?  

That would make more sense if we were actually a contender. In a season where we go 7-9 or 8-8 at absolute best, why bother for one year when you can trade him, get a high pick, and maybe hit on a building block?

Richardson needs to go.  Two IR trips in two years, and ineffective otherwise, probably because he should have been on IR even sooner

• Like 2

@KillBill26 I believe Paul Richardson contract savings depends on if its pre-June 1st vs post-June 1st, that's how NBC Sports saw it and what I'm seeing in other places.  I get your point, but he's making more then Terry, Harmon, and Sims combined.  I don't believe he's worth keeping at that dollar number, if it was different, I get where you coming from as a player that can help.  But that contract hurts more then it helps, imo.

35 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Yes

So even with Guice and Love and AP you wanna spend 12-14 mil a year on Derrick Henry?

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

So even with Guice and Love and AP you wanna spend 12-14 mil a year on Derrick Henry?

It was speculation, so no clue if I truly want to or not, but thankfully there are people far more qualified than I making the decisions, especially with the new regime changes. 

But I do know this - while I might be one of the biggest Guice fans on the planet, if we roll into next year with expecting Guice, Love and AP to carry the load given their history and APs age, then it's malpractice. 

So looking at that list, knowing we have a ton to spend and RB is a glaring need, then yes, my Madden like GM skills say, sign me up for Derrick Henry and add another Bama boy to the mix. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I had to look around, but I need help checking my work. 

Kinda suprised to see your name on the list and not mine....norman, reed,Kerrigan 😪, a smith, m moses,p rich is who I'd ax

3 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

It was speculation, so no clue if I truly want to or not, but thankfully there are people far more qualified than I making the decisions, especially with the new regime changes. 

But I do know this - while I might be one of the biggest Guice fans on the planet, if we roll into next year with expecting Guice, Love and AP to carry the load given their history and APs age, then it's malpractice. 

So looking at that list, knowing we have a ton to spend and RB is a glaring need, then yes, my Madden like GM skills say, sign me up for Derrick Henry and add another Bama boy to the mix. 

I'd be ok with guice love and a.p...actually I hope a.p does come back..isnt he just a few tds and yards away from breaking records..tho I'm sure he'll retire a viking it would be awesome to see him break some records in a skins uni..I know I know hes old as hell but hes still performing at a...high?...level