Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

If he wants to go with McD let him.  I don’t really want him here if he doesn’t want to be here.

I could trash McD forever, but I won’t I will just say he is the Lane Kiffin of the NFL. Always sought after yet; he never does anything special or intelligent and will be the next Parriots coach that looks good because of Brady.  

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love having vet coaches all over the place, except OC I think. NFL is changing too fast for the old Callahan style coach.

Yes it is.  I like Callahan.  Even though Ive heard grandpa Callahan wasn’t as warm and fuzzy as people thought he may have been.  I like him, but not as a HC, or OC.  Ron Rivera made me light up when he said he believed in making play action a focal point of the offense.  That’s how I played Madden.

And not to sound smug, I was damn good.  Plus, it just makes sense philosophically.  Then of course you mix in some shotgun, and rpo.

• Haha 2

The frustrating thing is that we really don't know what we have in KOC. We don't know how much he was hamstrung by Gruden first and then Callahan second. The offense started coming on very late, but it was pretty rotten 12/16ths of the year.

• Like 1

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is positioned well now, with interviews scheduled for tomorrow with the Panthers in Boston, Wednesday with the Giants in Jersey and Friday with the Browns in his native Northeast Ohio. The key word for McDaniels will be the same one you heard Browns owner Jimmy Haslam use over and over again: Alignment. I don’t think McDaniels will go to a place where the organization is splintered and set up in silos, and I don’t think that’s about it control. Moreso, it’s about what I think he believes works. That said, he’s very much ready to leave New England, having lined up key assistants like Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell and Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon to play major roles on his staff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/06/cowboys-hire-mike-mccarthy-head-coach-nfl-news-notes

That's Breer talking who is often on the money. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is positioned well now, with interviews scheduled for tomorrow with the Panthers in Boston, Wednesday with the Giants in Jersey and Friday with the Browns in his native Northeast Ohio. The key word for McDaniels will be the same one you heard Browns owner Jimmy Haslam use over and over again: Alignment. I don’t think McDaniels will go to a place where the organization is splintered and set up in silos, and I don’t think that’s about it control. Moreso, it’s about what I think he believes works. That said, he’s very much ready to leave New England, having lined up key assistants like Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell and Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon to play major roles on his staff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/06/cowboys-hire-mike-mccarthy-head-coach-nfl-news-notes

That's Breer talking who is often on the money. 

There you go.  Breer is spot on and doesn't post unless he's sure about what he hears.  Thoughts, SIP?  Who do you like as OC and QB coach for the Skins?

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

There you go.  Breer is spot on and doesn't post unless he's sure about what he hears.  Thoughts, SIP?  Who do you like as OC and QB coach for the Skins?

If its not O'Connell....

I don't know a lot about Scott Turner. His dad is a genius though so if anything rubbed off by osmosis he'd intrigue me.   Shurmur has a great pedigree as a coordinator and a QB whisper.  He brought the best out of Keenum and seem to do a nice job with Jones.  

It's not easy for me to get past what I've seen with the Giants. I've watched probably 25 of their games in the last two years and I've not been blown away by what I've seen of him as a play caller. He didn't strike me that inventive.  But I recall years back when Minny beat us at home -- Shurmur got a lot of praise for figuring out the Redskins tendencies on defense and exploiting them.   And sometimes being a HC takes away from your ability to playcall as well because you got too much on your plate. 

I'd love Dan Mullen from UF but he's probably seeking a HC job versus coordinator.  Monk brought up Chudzinski's ties to Rivera.  I don't know squat about him but I like what I read about him -- mad scientist-workaholic type 

Here's Keim concurring with the Breer report

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If its not O'Connell....

I don't know a lot about Scott Turner. His dad is a genius though so if anything rubbed off by osmosis he'd intrigue me.   Shurmur has a great pedigree as a coordinator and a QB whisper.  He brought the best out of Keenum and seem to do a nice job with Jones.  

It's not easy for me to get past what I've seen with the Giants. I've watched probably 25 of their games in the last two years and I've not been blown away by what I've seen of him as a play caller. He didn't strike me that inventive.  But I recall years back when Minny beat us at home -- Shurmur got a lot of praise for figuring out the Redskins tendencies on defense and exploiting them.   And sometimes being a HC takes away from your ability to playcall as well because you got too much on your plate. 

I'd love Dan Mullen from UF but he's probably seeking a HC job versus coordinator.  Monk brought up Chudzinski's ties to Rivera.  I don't know squat about him but I like what I read about him -- mad scientist-workaholic type 

Here's Keim concurring with the Breer report

With Keim concurring it's going to happen, it's just when McDaniels is hired.  I think the same about Shurmur as you do.  Chud would be nice too, if he's available.  Other names to keep an eye on is Mike Shula, current QB coach for the Giants, imagine that.  LOL.  He was RR's OC in Carolina back some year ago.  I think that RR is going to go hard after Shurmur though and if we can convince Scott Turner to become our QB coach, I'd be satisfied.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Pat Shurmur is hired as the OC then that could increase the chances of Case Keenum returning as the backup QB. Scott Turner could be hired as the qB coach. Would the Redskins consider hiring Jason Garrett in some capacity. Since KOC is under contract with the Redskins would the Redskins force teams to make a trade if they want KOC.

Doubt it would happen due to a multitude of reasons, but I would love to hire Gary Kubiak as OC and pair him with a strong QB coach. The dude is a run game genius. Zimmer recently called him the best hire he’s ever made. He’s the brain behind the Vikings’ current success on offense, not Stefanski. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Even if McDaniels doesn't get a job this offseason, he's got another good shot next year. So if KOC really wants to go join him, why delay the inevitable? Not sure I understand the logic. Is the hope McDaniels nevers gets hired as a head coach and KOC stays?

Plan B just became plan A. 

A Breer tweet is the modern day equivalent of red print in the Bible. Words that for believers can only be ignored at great peril.

We have had our KOC cut off. (so to speak)

That said if I’m Rivera I make a strong play for Kellen Moore or failing that reshuffle the deck completely and look for a top college coordinator eager to jump to the pros who’s familiar with the Ron Day type schemes that DH used to great effect at The Ohio State. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

Plan B just became plan A. 

A Breer tweet is the modern day equivalent of red print in the Bible. Words that for believers can only be ignored at great peril.

We have had our KOC cut off. (so to speak)

That said if I’m Rivera I make a strong play for Kellen Moore or failing that reshuffle the deck completely and look for a top college coordinator eager to jump to the pros who’s familiar with the Ron Day type schemes that DH used to great effect at The Ohio State. 

Good ideas and interesting ones.  RR probably goes with another guy who was his OC or he worked with that was OC.  Shurmur, Shula, Chud etc..

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

If we could convince Shurmur to come here and get Scott Turner as the QB coach, I'd be OK with it.  Shurmur is a proven OC as that got him his HC gigs.  Hate to lose KOC but it's like the writings on the wall that he goes with McDaniels and I'd take Shurmer OC/Lil Turner QB coach if KOC leaves.

I believe you stated exactly what Rivera is thinking.

Turner as the QB coach and Shurmur as the OC would be beautiful.  I would assume we keep Shurmur for maybe 2 years before he jumps ship and Turner can stay behind and once groomed he will be ready to take over.  

9 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

I believe you stated exactly what Rivera is thinking.

Turner as the QB coach and Shurmur as the OC would be beautiful.  I would assume we keep Shurmur for maybe 2 years before he jumps ship and Turner can stay behind and once groomed he will be ready to take over.  

IF KOC goes that's what I would like to see happen.  :)

• Like 1

O'Connell might well be one of the most self-promoting guys I've ever seen, and the exaggerations about the demand for his services are really amusing. It's funny how he and Cooley can get info out there, and it makes the twitter rounds with these pseudo-journalists. When he was QB Coach on our staff, he had rumors circulating among the same brain dead twitter jockies that Chip Kelly really wanted him as OC at UCLA. Translation: Self-promotion with a dose of "gonna lose the next McVay" tossed in for good measure. That wasn't even close to being the case. Chip wouldn't even put him on the official staff in SF after O'Connell lobbied his way into that gig with the 49ers. Dude was just "special projects". He made the rounds at the Senior Bowl that year and nobody bit. Not even McDaniels, who was fully entrenched as OC in NE. And O'Connell wasn't part of the proposed coaching staff for McDaniels in Indy in 2018, either. But they're cosmically aligned and so close......

Rivera should just cut this guy loose now and tell him he's free to pursue all those other offers that he would have us believe are out there, like in Miami (who chose Chan Gailey), Chicago (who fired their OC but had no interest in O'Connell), or San Diego (ditto). But he has options.......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

O'Connell might well be one of the most self-promoting guys I've ever seen, and the exaggerations about the demand for his services are really amusing.

I don't get the same impression.  Some reporters flat out said the Redskins rejected the overtures from Kelly and promoted O'Connell in turn not to lose him.  Jay even talked about promoting him to not to lose him once.

If this McDaniels wants O'Connell rumor is made up by him, I guess we might be about to find out.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't get the same impression.  Some reporters flat out said the Redskins rejected the overtures from Kelly and promoted O'Connell in turn not to lose him.  Jay even talked about promoting him to not to lose him once.

If this McDaniels wants O'Connell rumor is made up by him, I guess we might be about to find out.

Fair enough, SIP. To his credit, Gruden was being a good company guy and saying all the right things. He never wanted O'Connell on the staff, and didn't want to promote him to OC, either. We all had problems (and for good reason) with Alex Smith being imposed on Gruden (signed without the dude's knowledge). It's no different when the same thing happens with your staff. I'm no big fan of Gruden, that's for sure, but the poor guy was really treated poorly down the stretch.

Let's just get the best OC in here that'll help Rivera bring his vision and identity to the team. I'm excited.

13 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Let's just get the best OC in here that'll help Rivera bring his vision and identity to the team. I'm excited.

Yeah we all want the best OC.  I've watched a few more interviews and mic'd up sessions with Scott Turner.   He has more personality than his dad but not a lot more from what I saw.  As for him as a play caller apples to apples to his dad, I don't know.   Here's a Carolina fan breaking down his play calling some.  He shows he does a lot of presnap motion, sweeps, fake sweeps ala McVay. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Doubt it would happen due to a multitude of reasons, but I would love to hire Gary Kubiak as OC and pair him with a strong QB coach. The dude is a run game genius. Zimmer recently called him the best hire he’s ever made. He’s the brain behind the Vikings’ current success on offense, not Stefanski. 

Kubiak would be an outstanding guy to have as an OC. All those years of fantastic running games He had in Denver, then Houston, and now Min.. the guy knows running. He got it from shanny but I'll take it, zbs running is the way to go. I always hated Gruden's STUPID "power" running scheme.. good for a 2 yard gain or 2 yard loss.

It won't happen though. I think he's under contract with the Vikings, and his son is the QB coach there as well. He's listed as an assistant HC there.. I think OC is a step down, not up.

Edited by crabbypatty

With all due respect, HigSkin's and I respect you and your posts but personally, I wouldn't put too much confidence in what Burgundy Blog post.  He basically repost what legit others post.  If you check out his profile on twitter I think you will find that to be true.  I could totally be wrong but that's my thoughts.  He may be point on with the info and the sources he's mentioning but personally myself, I don't put any credence in what he says.  :)  Again, I would love Scott Turner as our QB coach with us somehow convincing and hiring Shurmur as our OC. :) 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If Turner is a big believer in pre-snap motion and liberal use of play-action, that's a good early sign. Those are two of the most efficient ways to make reads easier on your QB and gain chunk yardage

My hope is he's a guy who can look at Haskin's strengths and play to those vs shoving him in to a specific "system".  If it's part of what you describe, awesome!  🙂

• Like 1