Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

Just now, skinny21 said:

Could be.  He has to be released from Carolina first though.  

Right. He's under contract. Therefore not "readily available," as someone put it. He ain't hanging out at the malt shop playing the jukebox waiting for Ron to call on the rotary.

Also kind-of puts the Scott Turner interview in more light. Since we get a confirmation tweet that Carolina has been denying access and interviews to some current staff. Makes you think that a public interview of S. Turner is to open a dialogue back to Norv, who would be otherwise not able to take an interview, officially. 

Assuming that carolina is in-fact blocking Norv, which would make sense to me if I put myself in the shoes of the carolina execs. I'd rely upon his knowledge heavily in trying to get the best HC hire. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Supposedly McDaniels likes O'Connell and they go back together some.  If the Giants end up hiring McDaniels and O'Connell goes there, that would be interesting and a little weird considering he this off season was billed by some as the future HC here. 

The way I'm taking this SIP is that Mills III is the only interview and the others mentioned have been hired.  Hopefully, KOC is our OC and Scott Turner takes our QB coach position.  

• Like 1

Seems weird for RR to shoot for Norv when Scott was just his OC (especially if the plan is to “demote” Scott to QB coach.

@Monk4thaHALL Interesting call on a back channel to Norv, but then how does the above jive with that in your opinion?

I could maybe see bringing in Turner to ask about QB coach under KOC, and Turner wanting to see if something else shows up (like his dad being named HC of the Panthers), but again, that would imply they’re going with KOC and I have trouble with guess that since he hasn’t been announced.

Maybe most likely is Turner waiting on possible OC job with his dad before deciding on OC job in DC.  Probably makes the most sense...?

Edited by skinny21

I'd be shocked if it was Norv.  A couple things, he's 66 and heard on a podcast (wish I could find it) he is really leaning toward retirement.  A guy called in the other day on the Junkies and said he sat next to Norv on a plane out of Charlotte and the guy asked him about coming back to Washington.  He said absolutely not. 

Who knows but I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Again, Ron having Norv as his #1 choice is not the same as Norv accepting a job in washington. No need to elaborate. Notwithstanding Norv's situ with currently being under contract with carolina. 

What? When?

My bad. I thought he was fired. 

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Seems weird for RR to shoot for Norv when Scott was just his OC (especially if the plan is to “demote” Scott to QB coach.

So, Scott started the 2019 season as the QB coach and his dad, old man Norv, was the OC. It wasn't until after Ron was fired that apparently Scott was "promoted" on a trial basis. So, to call him Ron's OC isn't exactly correct. And Scott T was only hired in carolina starting in 2018 as the QB coach, coinciding with his dad's (Norv's) OC title.

Presumably, he and his dad are doing what a bunch of father and sons are doing in the NFL these days, working together before the old man hangs them up. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

So, Scott started the 2019 season as the QB coach and his dad, old man Norv, was the OC. It wasn't until after Ron was fired that apparently Scott was "promoted" on a trial basis. So, to call him Ron's OC is exactly correct. And Scott T was only hired in carolina starting in 2018. 

Presumably, he and his dad are doing what a bunch of father and sons are doing in the NFL these days, working together before the old man hangs them up. 

Ah, gotcha (I’m assuming you meant “isn’t exactly correct”).  Good to know.  

So OC is definite possibility for Turner... though my hunch would still be qb coach - which would be smart from the standpoint of taking the reins if either Norv is brought in or if KOC is retained and gets an HC opportunity down the road (or flames out/doesn’t mesh with RR, et al).  

I would assume the hires likely rule out the other guys you brought up like Chud/Wisenhunt, etc as they would likely want their own guys.  Speaking of which, I loved reading your rationale about all of them and Ron’s MO.  Thanks.  

I'm still trying to figure out Chudzinski being on total radio silence aboard the red october. 

Usually college jobs get filled about a week or two before the NFL does theirs. Dudes grabbing headlines ahead of the new year when the NFL dominates. It's just weird that he's been out of the league for two years and there's no mention of an official Oregon interview for him as the OC. 

I guess he could be waiting to see if the NFL comes calling right now for 2020. Perhaps filtering out his ideal job. No idea of his and Ron's relationship. You know speaking of gas in the tank, Chudz would seem to have more than Norv. 

And personally speaking I just have a hell of a hard time seeing Norv wanting to work for Dan again. I mean major reservations there. 

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, these hires seem to be pointing to KOC being out, which is disappointing, but understandable.  I think that tweet from a few days ago about it being a "two-way interview" between Rivera and KOC was telling.  I doubt KOC wanted to be constrained in what plays he called regarding run vs pass on early downs like he was with Callahan, and Rivera seems to be a run-first guy judging by his track record and his recent press conference.  When I saw that tweet, I had my doubts KOC would stick.

If you have the impression you're not going to get the job, I guess that's the way to spin things.

Rivera would know Shurmur well.   They were in Philly together for years as assistant coaches.  I've not been impressed with his play calling in NY, I've watched most of their games.  But he does have a reputation of being a QB whisper.  Daniel Jones looked decent for a rookie this year.  Keenum had his best year under him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

On 1/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

This is intriguing.  Only snag is that Gettlemean just confirmed a few days ago Shurmur was the main reason he drafted Jones over Haskins.  I wonder if it was because Shurmer loved Jones that much or disliked Haskins that much.

I suspect Shurmer didnt have a 5th round grade on Haskins.  He probably just preferred Jones, and as OC he wont have a say over personnel, so that may be why he fails as a HC.  Some people are good offensive/defensive minds, but when they get the responsibility of personnel as well(rather than just coaching what they get) they fail.

• Like 2

Rivera, Del Rio and Shurmur would be a pretty epic staff. I don’t think anyone will make Del Rio a head coach again soon in the NFL so unless he goes to USC at some point I doubt he’s a flight risk. Shurmur has to pay his dues again too and I doubt he jumps either. We would likely have an intact staff for 3 or 4 years. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Also kind-of puts the Scott Turner interview in more light. Since we get a confirmation tweet that Carolina has been denying access and interviews to some current staff. Makes you think that a public interview of S. Turner is to open a dialogue back to Norv, who would be otherwise not able to take an interview, officially. 

Any evidence of who Carolina might be blocking (if anyone)? With the exception of Perry Fewell, who actually interviewed for the head job there, they've let most of their guys walk. The Redskins have already hired 3 assistants, their trainer, and interviewed two more assistants. That we know of. There's obviously more on the staff, but unless we're talking about quality control coaches or lower level assistants, it seems most people are fair game.

Not huge fan of how we are building the O side of the staff. We already brought in position coaches but no OC? Don't they need to match each other? I thought the reason why Del Rio was in the house was so they could discus the rest of the D staff. 

I'm not saying the OC should hire his staff but would be nice if he could have input. Now you might force stuff.

For me this also shuts the door on KOC. If they are still discussing the position and the guy starts hiring his old O coaches, I would not feel comfortably. "You can run your off but I want it to look like this and these coaches can help you with it". And if Ron doesn't like your playcalling its s easy move to go to his guys who "know what he wants". 

In general I'm always dissapointed by the hiring of NFL position coaches. I never feel like there is a real "interview proces". You just need to know the HC and you got the spot. Would be lot of work to interview 3 guys for all positions but then you can find some gems. Why was a Ike Hilliard not interviewed for the WR job? At least talk to him and see if he is better then the guy you always worked with. Take an open minded approach. 

Edited by wilco_holland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

0-3 in those games. Each team we played had a losing record entering the game. 

At least you are being honest making it about Haskins. The kid wants the coach who coddled him. Fair enough. You want to keep that going. I think Ron has different plans. We will see who the hire is.

Don't pretend your dislike for O'Connell isn't about your dumb take on Haskins.  You've got a weird thing about the kid.  He triggers you and you've invested yourself in his failure.  It's led you to a bunch of bad takes that turn the threads you post in to a slog.

O'Connell is a talented young coach and that is obvious to anyone who has listened to him talk for ten minutes.  It shouldn't shock anyone if he's a head coach one day.  But apparently you can't see how smart he is because he seems to have a good relationship with the kid you want to fail.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Don't pretend your dislike for O'Connell isn't about your dumb take on Haskins.  You've got a weird thing about the kid.  He triggers you and you've invested yourself in his failure.  It's led you to a bunch of bad takes that turn the threads you post in to a slog.

O'Connell is a talented young coach and that is obvious to anyone who has listened to him talk for ten minutes.  It shouldn't shock anyone if he's a head coach one day.  But apparently you can't see how smart he is because he seems to have a good relationship with the kid you want to fail.

The dude has done nothing. Zero. Called 11 games in his life: 32nd ranked passing offense. Second worst record in the NFL. A bust as a QB when he played. Lasted 1 year. Nothing special about him.  You only care about him because Haskins likes the way he coddles him and doesn’t challenge him.  Ron is going to hire a coach not an enabler...

Edited by SoCalSkins