Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

My gawd you are bad at this lol

insubordinate and churlish.

1 minute ago, RabidFan said:

Pockmark Turner.  Done

I may be able to get on board here. Anyone else have any good ones? Only one I'm currently against is "Tina". This ain't Thunderdome.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

But... Can the new guy's name start with a C?

I was going to ask you that. I was trying to figure out why O'Connell was exclusively the Commandant or if it was exclusive. I've been losing sleep over it. 

Cobra Commander doesn't take kindly to treachery. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I was going to ask you that. I was trying to figure out why O'Connell was exclusively the Commandant or if it was exclusive. I've been losing sleep over it. 

Cobra Commander doesn't take kindly to treachery. 

I mulled Cobra Commander. Five syllables is a bit long, though. The Comm (my abbreviation for Commandant) is just 2. Commandant is 3. Rolls off the tongue easier.

I'm with you though. I try to avoid treachery.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

His work impressed probably because he was smart enough to know to give it to 22 every single play.  Kinda respect a guy that doesnt overthink it and doesnt try to get cute.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Is KOC ultimately a star? I don't know. I remember having similar questions about McVay, Leflur and definitely Kyle. Surprisingly Kyle had the most success as an OC but had to wait the longest to become a HC. And Kyle has shown he can do multiple styles, both with a power back (Houston), a elite QB (Atlanta), shifty backs, and running QBs. 

I loved kyle and was hoping he would be our coach when shanahan retired.. unfortunately, the rg3 situation and his and his dad's name getting dragged through the mud burnt any chance of that. 

With Mcvay and lefleur it was difficult to tell because you couldn't tell if they were ultimately responsible for the teams success. And even now in lefeur''s case.. I'm not giving him too much credit when you have the best qb of this generation on your team. 

With KOC it is once again difficult to tell what he really brings to the table; and the offenses that he have been apart of have been bad. Realistically, he has not shown a real reason to be kept or promoted though on the flipside, he might not have had enough leeway to get things done the way he wanted. 

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I do not want Nov Turner, Ted Turner or any sons of Norv Turner or anyone named Turner on the Skins this year or any other year.

Watch all or nothing with the Panthers on Amazon then make the statement you don’t want Norv. Dude is a great coordinator. The relationship with Dan probably prevents it but let’s not pretend he’s not legit...

• Like 1

I think it's a bit funny that for all the talk of Rivera wanting a veteran guy (which seems largely made up), Scott Turner is probably the one guy with less experience than O'Connell. Turner was an OC for all of 4 games, half of which Will Grier started (which basically meant zero offense before the game began). And although it helps defeat the narrative, when Rivera hired Rob Chudzinski, Chudzinski had all of 32 games as an offensive coordinator (and at 43 was fairly young). Rivera likely could attract bigger names now that he himself is a bigger name. The question is really who is out there? Caldwell might be, though his contract status is unclear. Nor is it clear he'd be open to an OC job. Maybe he's happy in Miami if he's not a head coach? Right now the only contenders seem to be O'Connell and little Turner.

3 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I loved kyle and was hoping he would be our coach when shanahan retired.. unfortunately, the rg3 situation and his and his dad's name getting dragged through the mud burnt any chance of that.  

The fact his dad was fired probably did not help. How often do you promote the coach's son to head coach upon firing the coach?

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

The fact his dad was fired probably did not help. How often do you promote the coach's son to head coach upon firing the coach?

Well yeah. That's what I was saying. I was hoping it wouldn't go that way because I thought Kyle was innovative and a smart playcaller.. even in the days with mcnabb, beck, and friends. What they did with rg3 was magical.  

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think it's a bit funny that for all the talk of Rivera wanting a veteran guy (which seems largely made up), Scott Turner is probably the one guy with less experience than O'Connell. Turner was an OC for all of 4 games, half of which Will Grier started (which basically meant zero offense before the game began).

And under him the Panthers offense averaged 15 points per game. Granted, he was saddled with Kyle Allen for his games, so that has to be taken into account.

16 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The enthusiasm for O'Connell on this board has always really intrigued me...Based on what?

It's Cooley. He called Kyle and he called McVay VERY early. He's also called KOC. The guy seems to be well respected by players, has been around innovative offensive minds and is essentially ready for the gig. If he hits, he's a HC candidate.

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Maybe you could pry someone like Greg Roman away from the Ravens by giving him an Assistant Head Coach title. 

Would have had to offer Roman the head coaching gig. He'll get one of those, or coach the most exciting offensive player in the game. 

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Not a single team has requested permission to interview O'Connell for an OC position. 

We could be declining such requests at this point. We have no idea what interest there is outside of Redskins park re: KOC. 

• Like 1

Im going to throw out a crazy one, but probably one of the best options available:  Pat Shurmur. 

He has been OC in Philly and Minnesota, and in those 4 years his offense ranked between 2nd and 13th in yards and points in all 4 years, with the average ranking 7.5, and his worst year being 12th and 13th in 2015.  He also has failed as HC twice now, which means almost surely NFL teams will have permanently written him off from being a HC, and he wont be poached if he does well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Im going to throw out a crazy one, but probably one of the best options available:  Pat Shurmur. 

He has been OC in Philly and Minnesota, and in those 4 years his offense ranked between 2nd and 13th in yards and points in all 4 years, with the average ranking 7.5, and his worst year being 12th and 13th in 2015.  He also has failed as HC twice now, which means almost surely NFL teams will have permanently written him off from being a HC, and he wont be poached if he does well.

Not a bad idea 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Okay, for you...

For Turner, if he's hired, should we call him Bootstrap? I kinda like that. 

We can sing Spongebob's theme song, too. 

I dont know what's up with this pirates of the Caribbean thing here, but I'm already here and ready.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont know what's up with this pirates of the Caribbean thing here, but I'm already here and ready.

The word "KOC" is pronounced just like you might think it is. (rhymes with "lock") And an obvious  correlation could be the word "Rooster."  Which is quite handy when you want to brag about how good our " KOC" actually is. For instance, although it might be frowned upon to discuss any shortcomings of your "KOC" at the dinner table, it's perfectly acceptable to use the phrase "No defense is capable of stiffening up against our young Rooster."

Plus as John Waynes character Rooster Cogburn has shown, sometimes Roosters can wear eye patches. And Eye patches are kinda piratey .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

This is intriguing.  Only snag is that Gettlemean just confirmed a few days ago Shurmur was the main reason he drafted Jones over Haskins.  I wonder if it was because Shurmer loved Jones that much or disliked Haskins that much.

29 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

The word "KOC" is pronounced just like you might think it is. (rhymes with "lock") And an obvious  correlation could be the word "Rooster."  Which is quite handy when you want to brag about how good our " KOC" actually is. For instance, although it might be frowned upon to discuss any shortcomings of your "KOC" at the dinner table, it's perfectly acceptable to use the phrase "No defense is capable of stiffening up against our young Rooster."

Plus as John Waynes character Rooster Cogburn has shown, sometimes Roosters can wear eye patches. And Eye patches are kinda piratey .

I'm uncomfortable now.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is intriguing.  Only snag is that Gettlemean just confirmed a few days ago Shurmur was the main reason he drafted Jones over Haskins.  I wonder if it was because Shurmer loved Jones that much or disliked Haskins that much.

If Jones turns into a star, Shurmur will deserve some credit — and if Jones disappoints, Gettleman has the ready-made excuse that he was just giving the head coach the quarterback he wanted.

this clip from an article brings up a good counterpoint.