Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

4 minutes ago, Probos said:

Pressers after hirings don't really mean much -- most new coaching hires say good/and or/all the right things at the initial presser.  Ron seems like a good dude and is obviously a good coach.  I understand most fans are excited, but there have been many good coaches that have come through the doors in Ashburn.  I feel like I've seen this movie before so, I'm not gonna waste my energy on being "excited" just yet.  Ron's got a lot of work ahead of him and I wish him and his staff luck because he's gonna need a good amount of it.

I get this, if once bitten/twice shy, what the hell are we as Skins fans after being gnawed to the bone for decades? I sincerely respect all the people expressing skepticism, it is a perfectly honest reaction. I'm actually with you, but I am not betting on TheDan having some epiphany, that really feels like buying a Powerball ticket when your mortgage is due, I am............hopeful? (wow, hopeful- that's a shock), hopeful because of the strength of character of Ron Rivera, I am betting on him. 

6 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I get this, if once bitten/twice shy, what the hell are we as Skins fans after being gnawed to the bone for decades? I sincerely respect all the people expressing skepticism, it is a perfectly honest reaction. I'm actually with you, but I am not betting on TheDan having some epiphany, that really feels like buying a Powerball ticket when your mortgage is due, I am............hopeful? (wow, hopeful- that's a shock), hopeful because of the strength of character of Ron Rivera, I am betting on him. 

Hopeful,....sure, I'm hopeful.  You sound like you're mostly where I'm at with this franchise but are choosing to lean positive overall -- and I understand, but I'm gonna have to see something consistent in the way of winning before I could be exactly where you're at.  We'll see where this thing is 2-3 years in, but if I were a betting person I'd probably put my money on the "same ole, same ole" selection,....or whatever it's called.  

2 minutes ago, Probos said:

Hopeful,....sure, I'm hopeful.  You sound like you're mostly where I'm at with this franchise but are choosing to lean positive overall -- and I understand, but I'm gonna have to see something consistent in the way of winning before I could be exactly where you're at.  We'll see where this thing is 2-3 years in, but if I were a betting person I'd probably put my money on the "same ole, same ole" selection,....or whatever it's called.  

And I love it because if they can convince YOU, and everyone like you, then they have to be heading the right direction. I'm not willing to give them 2-3 years because the first signs aren't going to be about W/L record, I'm betting we see tangible signs of change before next season even begins.

6 minutes ago, Probos said:

First, I don;t think anyone is putting us in the paloffs just yet. I can on ly speak for myself but I think many others are in the same place - there are specific things that at least feel much different. Now this could of coursed all be smoke and mirrors. But here are a few things that stick out to me that seem different (I also plan to add my own conspiracy theory jut for fun): 

1. Dan not only announced Ron as the new HC, he did so with more than a few words. He also talked about a process and stated openly for the first time that I know of that the coach will have the one voice. Shanny told he had last call but Dan never said that - at least not that I remember. Now in the end there are times the owner has to make a call. Ron acknowledged that. But it sounds like Dan is going to give the freedom he needs. 

2. Dan talked about changing culture - this is a huge epiphany if it's real. We have heard nothing about culture except from Bruce who said it was great. Then Dan, in his first appearance after firing Bruce says the exact opposite and commits to making it a focus of change. My conspiracy theory here: I think Alex Smith has had a huge impact on the changes Dan has pursued and his apparent awakening that the culture is bad and needs to be changed. 

3. Ron's first hire is a very strong one in Jack Del Rio - it's not just that Jack has HC experience - the previous coaching staff had at least 3 past HCs that I could think of - but he has had a very high level of success in defense. 

4. The comments from Ron;s previous players speaks volumes as to who he is. You never heard that stuff from Shannys ex-players outside a very random one or two. Marty did but he also had guys that hated him. 

In then end none of this is any guarantee the team will be the same dumpster fire it has been really since Dan has owned the team. But why not be hopeful? There are at least a few very good reasons to have higher hopes than in the past amid signs there has been a real change is Dan;s approach to running the team. 

BTW: Don't discount Dan discussing openly he researched successful teams. While I doubt he did that on his own, I think the minority owners and Alex Smith finally got to him - along with plummeting ticket sales which may have had the most impact. Dan has proven over time to be highly motivated by money. And maybe once he gets few fannys back in seats he reverts.

But at least for right now, the moves being made are the right ones and with quality people. While this provides no guarantees of anything being different, I think it's fair to have a higher level of hope and maybe the start of some expectation this finally be the time Danny found his way into a good situation. 

16 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Call it gullible.  Call it Naive.  Call it ignorant.  Call it a homer. 

My favorite team changed something that wasn't working and is trying something different... or so it seems.  I hope it works, and i'm rooting for it to work.  

Oh I'm hoping we quick sucking too.  It's just that Snyder has shown me NO reason whatsoever to think that his ownership style will lead to winning. 

Please see my sig for the horrible truth. 

I get the excitement, I really do.  This organization was stale, which made it incredibly difficult to muster any sense of positivity about.   What is for certain is that this team will be a lot easier to root for in 2020.

That said, I've seen a lot of praise for Dan - not just here, but on the radio, twitter, etc.  Not just praise for what he's done here, but this belief that he's now a changed man, has turned a new leaf, etc.  Let's not forget what it took to get him here.  This man sat and watched Bruce Allen wreak havoc and instill a damn bad culture for a long time and failed to do anything about it until he had no choice but to do something about it. 

I am very happy that he finally did something about it.  But the mere fact that it took until recently for him to research what made good teams good is scary enough in itself.  And I'm not convinced that handing all the power to any head coach is going to automatically make everything better.  Not without mention, I've heard the words 'collabrative' more times than you'd ever like to hear when Dan is part of the collaboration.

Basically, by no means am I convinced that a light bulb suddenly came on for Dan and that all will be right in the world.  I'm incredibly happy that we as fans get a fresh start, with fresh faces, and obviously I hope Ron can make this organization respectable again.  in fact, I think it's up to Ron to manage Dan into being a good owner.  That work has merely just started so let's cool the jets on all this 'I think Dan is a changed man' hub bub.  

These are major changes which have been long overdue.  We've been burned so many times, but as long as sensible decisions keep getting made going forward I choose to be hopeful.  Hopeful that the corner has been turned on Dan's style of ownership and his vision on what this organization should be and how it needs to be run.  Whether he's motivated by money or his own fandom is irrelevant; hopefully he's finally been frustrated enough and seen enough of how quality franchises operate to suck up his pride and change how business is done.

8 minutes ago, Stugein said:

These are major changes which have been long overdue.  We've been burned so many times, but as long as sensible decisions keep getting made going forward I choose to be hopeful.  Hopeful that the corner has been turned on Dan's style of ownership and his vision on what this organization should be and how it needs to be run.  Whether he's motivated by money or his own fandom is irrelevant; hopefully he's finally been frustrated enough and seen enough of how quality franchises operate to suck up his pride and change how business is done.

Hope is all we've ever had and without a doubt, there is more reason for hope today than there was a week ago.

My post was primarily about putting the cart before the horse, as if this is some new ride we're on with Dan.  The last time I applauded a Dan move, it was when he hired LaFemina.  I applauded it because it appeared he specifically went outside the organization for help and hired a high class individual.  Less than a year later, I had to eat those compliments.  Point being, it's all well and good to get behind Rivera and hope for the best, but let's let things play out with Dan before instilling too much hope that he's turned a corner.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hope is all we've ever had and without a doubt, there is more reason for hope today than there was a week ago.

My post was primarily about putting the cart before the horse, as if this is some new ride we're on with Dan.  The last time I applauded a Dan move, it was when he hired LaFemina.  I applauded it because it appeared he specifically went outside the organization for help and hired a high class individual.  Less than a year later, I had to eat those compliments.  Point being, it's all well and good to get behind Rivera and hope for the best, but let's let things play out with Dan before instilling too much hope that he's turned a corner.

No one is putting the "cart before the horse"  Some of us are just simply more hopeful that things MAY be going in the right direction. These constant "reminders" of how ****ty this has turned out the last 20 yrs so we should not be any more hopeful are simply not necessarily. If i want to be overtly hyped it's really not up to you to tell me otherwise, just like it's not up to me to tell you to be more enthused. That is 100% up to you. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@goskins10 Nothing there

You can go to Youtube and find it easily - Type in Ron Rivera Redskins  and it came up straight away for me. Was the first item listed. 

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hear you.  I just also know that, even being generous, this is going to be a multi-season process to turn things around if indeed they are to be turned.  I'd rather be hopeful today than hold on to bitter feelings for the next 3 years while waiting to see.  And if things shake out to be "business as usual" and we're still a dumpster fire at the end of this chapter?  Well then at least I'll have had this excitement to look back on, however briefly.

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

No one is putting the "cart before the horse"  

So you've read and heard every single comment and opinion about the changes that have been made?  And have not read or heard any premature musings that Snyder has all the sudden turned the corner as an owner, and believe the light bulb has finally turned on for him?  That sir is either a lie or you've been selectively reading and listening over the past few days.

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Some of us are just simply more hopeful that things MAY be going in the right direction. These constant "reminders" of how ****ty this has turned out the last 20 yrs so we should not be any more hopeful are simply not necessarily. If i want to be overtly hyped it's really not up to you to tell me otherwise, just like it's not up to me to tell you to be more enthused. That is 100% up to you. 

Please show me where I said it's not okay to be hopeful. 

Since when are you this beacon of positivity that neglects to mention just how attrocious Dan has been for the last 20 years?  I recall dozens of posts by you going on and on about just how much you hate guy as a human being and won't spend a red cent on antyhing Redskins because of it.  So please, get off your high horse before picking a fight with me on that BS.

The point of my post was that I too am hopeful and actually looking forward to Redskins football again.  I find Ron and Del Rio as easy leaders to cheer for.  BUT... we've been on this ride before with Dan.  It just seems some folks are drunk on hope right now, and saying things they don't really mean when it comes to Dan.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

While RR does seem to be the clear alpha male in the room, I was a bit surprised to hear references to checking with Dan on personnel decisions.

Epic fail not having his jersey at the ready.

Coach of the year twice.... You should google that!!

I didn't hear it as "I'm going to check with Dan on personnel moves" but more "If there is an impasse where I and the GM/Personnel Director can't agree on a decision, then we'd get Dan involved". And that's basically how it works in any company. If you and a co-worker or another team can't come to an agreement on something then it goes to your common upper manager to made the decision after hearing both sides. 

18 minutes ago, Stugein said:

I hear you.  I just also know that, even being generous, this is going to be a multi-season process to turn things around if indeed they are to be turned.  I'd rather be hopeful today than hold on to bitter feelings for the next 3 years while waiting to see.  And if things shake out to be "business as usual" and we're still a dumpster fire at the end of this chapter?  Well then at least I'll have had this excitement to look back on, however briefly.

I can still root for Ron and the gang, and still be skeptical of Dan Snyder.  It's not mutually exclusive for me.

Archived