Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome the Redskins Jack Del Rio---And defensive philosophy

clskinsfan

On 1/2/2020 at 7:20 PM, MartinC said:

Bosa has had a big impact on the 49ers defense. But you wouldn’t know it from just scouting him by the stats sheet. He had 9 sacks and 47 tackles. 

Sweat could have a HUGE year with Young opposite him.

Yep that was my main point in how Chase Young could have a huge impact, comparing it to Bosa who's stat sheet is modest looking and for people who don't actually watch 49ers games his stats aren't going to jump out at people, but his impact on every single snap cannot be argued.  One of the frustrations we as fans had during the Orakpo/Kerrigan era was that neither seemed to compliment each other in the pass rush, it was like two good/not great edge rushers and neither was good enough to really make the other one better.  When Orakpo left, Kerrigan was about the same guy regardless of who the next edge rusher was that would play.

An elite front 7 can't just be made up of just good players, you need that difference maker who's impact makes everyone around them better.

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Give RR and JDR a year and then ask that question....

What stood out to me was Mike Zimmer took over from Leslie Frazier in 2014. The defense went from 32nd in yrds and 31st in points to 14/11, and was a top-10 defense ever since, without a major change in personnel.

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My favorite part of the video above is when JDR looks down and checks his watch at 4:43.  You can almost hear him thinking "how much longer do I have to waste time talking to this idiot".

Maybe he has an interview scheduled soon. That was his reason for missing the Minnesota game.

I like that he plans to have a Penetrating Front.

Both Rivera and now Del Rio have talked about ‘keeping things in front of us on the back end’ and ‘not giving up the shot plays’. That sounds like more of a zone approach than man. Also been talk about ‘penetrating front’ and ‘tackling the running back on the way to the QB’. That sounds like 1 gap.

There will be some mixture - no one just plays one thing. But a 1 gap front, with the rush mainly coming from the down 4 + maybe 1 and zone behind that sounds like what we should expect.

@MartinC Agree that seems to be the case.  I think a 1 gap scheme makes sense for our dline, and zone makes sense given 1) the uncertainty of our back 7 from a coverage standpoint and 2) all of our division rivals have qbs that can run.  

Makes me wonder a bit about Josh Norman’s future status...

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

@MartinC Agree that seems to be the case.  I think a 1 gap scheme makes sense for our dline, and zone makes sense given 1) the uncertainty of our back 7 from a coverage standpoint and 2) all of our division rivals have qbs that can run.  

Makes me wonder a bit about Josh Norman’s future status...

Even in zone at some point you have to be able to route match and run with a receiver. Norman just can’t run with NFL speed anymore and he now also lacks the quickness to close. We save $12.5M on the cap by cutting him. I wouldn’t bring him back at a fraction of the current deal he’s on - if at all.

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My favorite part of the video above is when JDR looks down and checks his watch at 4:43.  You can almost hear him thinking "how much longer do I have to waste time talking to this idiot".

I like Larry Michael.  He picks us to win every week. 😂

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Even in zone at some point you have to be able to route match and run with a receiver. Norman just can’t run with NFL speed anymore and he now also lacks the quickness to close. We save $12.5M on the cap by cutting him. I wouldn’t bring him back at a fraction of the current deal he’s on - if at all.

Me neither.  I will say that I wonder if his issues are magnified by poor FS play (playing so far off making it harder for him to close), but I’m all in favor of letting another team figure that out.  

Archived