Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If we don't win at least 8 games in 2020 then it means Haskins isn't the answer. That would be the only thing that will hold us back; if Haskins doesn't progress further.

Yes. Part of it will be Haskins' growth and if anyone on the staff can develop his very very raw (and imo limited) skill set.

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  Rivera + Del Rio + Chase Young and the Redskins probably have a top ten defense.  Even if Haskins doesn't shine the run game plus defense would probably be good enough for 8 wins especially in the NFC East.

We don't even have Young declaring - let alone drafted - let alone playing off the bat like a difference maker. Let's see all of that on the field actually play out - in harmony with the rest of the guys pulling together under a brand new scheme. The "typical" Redskins scenario is that this doesn't all line up.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

And there's always the possibility we trade down

Or he goes #1 to a team that blows the Bengals away - or the Bengals themselves.  Granted #1's are usually QB's, but if the hype gets big enough....

I get that wait and see is the most reasonable take.  But what's the harm in a little daydreaming, especially if it's not some wildly improbable scenario?  Chase Young may stay, but most likely will declare (just because foregoing a year of pro career for the shot at moving up one slot in the draft or a shot at National Championship is uncommon).

Rivera and Del Rio may not turn around the defense right away, but it's not improbable for them to do so.  They both have a good pedigree when it comes to defense and turning it around.

No one can predict the future.  If people want to engage in a little optimistic speculation, where's the harm in that?

17 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

Or he goes #1 to a team that blows the Bengals away - or the Bengals themselves.  Granted #1's are usually QB's, but if the hype gets big enough....

Unless Burrow gets hurt in the championship  game, he’s a lock for top pick. People will not give us QB value to move to pick 2. 99% or better we take Chase Young. If he goes back to school his best case scenario is being drafted #2 behind Trevor Lawrence next year. Dude is declaring for sure.

I have a suspicion that we are gonna get several very tempting offers for the #2 pick. Teams that want QB's, teams that want Chase Young will all be calling. This is gonna be something to watch. Our scouting dept needs to get a bona fide playmaker on defense and if Chase Young is that then you take him. Our defensive core becomes Young, Sweat, Allen, Dunbar, Collins, Reuben and Payne with Ion and the young d-backs too. Wow, Jack Del Rio just hit the jackpot, he has to be pumped. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I have a suspicion that we are gonna get several very tempting offers for the #2 pick. Teams that want QB's, teams that want Chase Young will all be calling. This is gonna be something to watch. Our scouting dept needs to get a bona fide playmaker on defense and if Chase Young is that then you take him. Our defensive core becomes Young, Sweat, Allen, Dunbar, Collins, Reuben and Payne with Ion and the young d-backs too. Wow, Jack Del Rio just hit the jackpot, he has to be pumped. 

Its fine to field calls but I'm not trading the pick for anything short of three #1s and thats just a starting point.

You want the next LT, you're gonna have to pay the piper.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I don’t have any problem with any of that... Skins fans don’t have much room to talk lol. Still, I find it a bit gratifying to see that the “burn it all to the ground/use Scot McCloughan/tank for years to properly rebuild/see this is how you do it” argument has not been baring any fruit when the franchise is as dysfunctional as the Browns (or Skins for that matter lol)...If you have the right people in place a scorched earth approach isn’t nevessary. 

Plus, at least neither the Skins nor the Browns didn’t have the NFLPA actively telling players not to sign with them like the Jags did lol...

Lol, the thought though the Browns or a typical bottom feeder organization can't get off the ground if anything depresses me. 🙄  Ditto Jax failing.   I do recall some national skeptics of the Browns which centered on Haslem will eventually do something to screw it up.  Same thing that many of those same people say about Dan.  Hopefully our luck is about to change where we stop being in the conversation with the bottom feeders.     😀

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Well, before everyone starts the hugs-n-kisses bit, why don't we wait to see who he surrounds himself with, assistant-wise.

One thing for sure, I surely don't want to see him dragging all of his assistants from Carolina, because if that happens, rest assured we will see a 9-7 to 10-6 season with a bunch of 7-9 to 6-10 seasons sprinkled in all around.

If it were someone like Belichick then I'd have a different vibe, but its not like Rivera was a dominating HC in the league. We've all seen in past HC hires and how they bring in their brother-in-law, cousins, etc, or bring assistants from another failed organization. Hard-nosed defensive minds who can scheme, and talented up in coming offensive assistants.

The current group has to go; all of them, especially those with training and strength & conditioning.  

I still don't necessarily buy the "Bill Belichick is a magic coach" thing. Before Tom Brady came along he had a losing record as a HC at the Browns and the Pats. Then magically he became some overnight Ubermensch Coach and it just happened to coincide with him getting the GOAT QB. 

i remember watching a youtube video of Tom and Bill breaking down some film on Ed Reed to get ready for an upcoming game and it was basically just Tom going "Yeah so see he does this and this here. I think we should do this and this, run these route concepts" and Bill was basically just listening and then went "Ah yeah I see what you mean. Yeah, sounds good". lol. It was basically all Brady with Bill just being along for the ride. 

1 hour ago, fwo40 said:

We don't even have Young declaring - let alone drafted - let alone playing off the bat like a difference maker. 

He said he is right now just thinking about the next game and maybe two. He will make decision with his family that is best for him afterwards.

I personally think he would be nuts not to declare when you are going to go top of the draft and the money that is associated with it.

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

He said he is right now just thinking about the next game and maybe two. He will make decision with his family that is best for him afterwards.

I personally think he would be nuts not to declare when you are going to go top of the draft and the money that is associated with it.

Yeah, if he goes back to school, his draft stock can only go down. The only reason he doesn’t come out is if he thinks that he doesn’t want to go to the Redskins. The only person I remember that from recently is Andrew Luck who went back to school when the Panthers had the 1st pick. I don’t see Young doing that being this is his hometown and he would reunite with Haskins and McLaurin. Plus a defensive coach coming on board. I think this is ideal for him going to a team picking in the top 5.

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I get that wait and see is the most reasonable take.  But what's the harm in a little daydreaming, especially if it's not some wildly improbable scenario?  Chase Young may stay, but most likely will declare (just because foregoing a year of pro career for the shot at moving up one slot in the draft or a shot at National Championship is uncommon).

Rivera and Del Rio may not turn around the defense right away, but it's not improbable for them to do so.  They both have a good pedigree when it comes to defense and turning it around.

No one can predict the future.  If people want to engage in a little optimistic speculation, where's the harm in that?

The harm is high expectations.  

This is imo a fun and taxing time of year.  I can’t tell you how many guys get so scrutinized they fall hard in the draft.  Remember Tunsil ( I think that’s his name) the LT drafted by the Dolphins a couple of years ago.  He was hands down  first or second pick in the draft and fell to fourteen because pictures popped up of him (I believe) with a bong a week before the draft. 

Part of the fun for me in following the draft is how these guys score test wise and move up and down the draft boards.  

I would love to have Young if he is as good as everyone thinks.  

Cliche: you can never have too many pass rushers.

Plus you never know what might happen so keep your mind open.

Its gonna be so fun to trash talk cowboy eagle and giants fans again..especially if we start dominating the division...I'd say again..but we never dominated our division other than in 91..the eighties especially was a slug fist for first..some times we won sometimes we didnt..praise jesus..

6 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Wrong

Shanny was Washington Redskins (Head coach, 2010–2013)
Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins in February 2009

He did bring in Hasslett and Changed the D..but he wasn't given the resources to make it work. The limited CAP for FA, 2 #1 Draft picks and Haynesworth doing squat at the Nose hampered the D

All because of Dan and RG3...

Sorry to disagree

If things had gone shanahans way, by all counts he was jonesing to draft Jake Locker in 2011. Also who knows how things would have turned out if he had shut down rg3 for the year instead of putting him back in. But that was always his mo.  He used players into the ground.

Just did a Google search on Joe Gibbs and the Panthers. Not taking it as gospel, but with Joe being in Charlotte, it's highly feasible that Joe's ties to Rivera was instrumental to Rivera being picked up so quick. I'm not saying Rivera is not the best pick...he is.

I'm saying this was destined to happen being that Dan confines in Joe so much. That's a good thing. Let's hope it works out.

6 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Wrong

Shanny was Washington Redskins (Head coach, 2010–2013)
Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins in February 2009

He did bring in Hasslett and Changed the D..but he wasn't given the resources to make it work. The limited CAP for FA, 2 #1 Draft picks and Haynesworth doing squat at the Nose hampered the D

All because of Dan and RG3...

Sorry to disagree

Haynesworth was the best DT in the league. He was signed and immediately moved to NT. That’s the equivalent of signing Aaron Donald and moving him to NT, then wondering why your defense sucks. 

The cap issues are a separate issue. 

Man, the minute I heard the report of Ron Rivera was let go by Carolina. I turned to a colleague at work, and said the "Skins need to hire Rivera now"

I am ecstatic Snyder did the right thing . Please Dan just be a owner and let Rivera do his job.

Also, while the front office is in need of  a re boot. Snyder needs to bring in football  savvy people and let them run with the ball.

Snyder could capture Jack Kent Cook status , if he would let this happen,  Snyder should or could hire the right folks and sit back and relish the organization he  has finally put together. I know this reads as a  fantasy in some respects, but maybe, just maybe Snyder has had a epiphany . Hail :247:

7 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Can anyone confirm Kevin O’Connell is the oc? I’ve seen it reported but not here. Also that kind of stinks if dan wanted to keep him (providing that it’s true)

It would be even worse if Rivera didn't want to keep him. Canning a guy that has a good connection with your improving rookie QB before you even start coaching would not be good. 

Archived