Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Welcome to Redskins Ron Ron.

This can go 2 ways:

Typical Redskins Way 

2020- We go 8-8 or 9-7 and maybe earn a wild card spot.

2021- Peak of Rivera era.  We win 11 or 12 games and make at least a NFc Championship game appearance.

2022- Disappointing year, as we go 7-9.

2023- It all falls apart.  Dan interferes.  We go 5-11 or worse.  Rivera is fired.

I hope I am wrong and we don't follow the typical Redskins pattern.

Given recent history I think this is being waaay too rosy for the "worse" of the two scenarios.

8-8 in 2020 would be a huge upset.

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I'm curious as to how this affects the locker room atmosphere......old saying in the Navy. The Happy lamp is out. Time to get serious and get busy. Kind of like losing that push over teacher or boss and the one that everyone is scared of shows up. ****s gonna pucker and play time is over. New Era in DC and let's hope Dan becomes a fan instead of a meddler.

Well, thing is that while Rivera is big on being disciplined and accountable, he's also apparently a guy who his players absolutely love because while he's tough he's also empathetic and a genuinely good guy who is very much about respect for people and treating them as he'd want to be treated. Anyone can be a hardass and scream at someone, but it takes a genuinely gifted leader to be a hardass but still be able to form those empathetic bonds with the people under him. 

So yes, obviously the days of giving the coach titty twisters are over, but I think the locker room will actually improve a ton, since the entire culture will hopefully be changing and you won't have any of the bull**** that was there when Bruce was still in charge. But we'll also find out who the guys are that are serious about playing and winning and who just liked the laid back atmosphere with Jay in charge because that **** is definitely over. 

1 hour ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

He's doomed while Dan is still in charge. Nothing changes until Dan sells the team. Worst owner in the NFL.

The fan has an option to opt out of being a Redskins because the Dan is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Ron, I hope proves you wrong, if you decide to stay a Redskins fan. 

31 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

Given recent history I think this is being waaay too rosy for the "worse" of the two scenarios.

If we don't win at least 8 games in 2020 then it means Haskins isn't the answer. That would be the only thing that will hold us back; if Haskins doesn't progress further.

38 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  Rivera + Del Rio + Chase Young and the Redskins probably have a top ten defense.  Even if Haskins doesn't shine the run game plus defense would probably be good enough for 8 wins especially in the NFC East.

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  Rivera + Del Rio + Chase Young and the Redskins probably have a top ten defense.  Even if Haskins doesn't shine the run game plus defense would probably be good enough for 8 wins especially in the NFC East.

I would say if the D gets you 6 wins and the O gets you at least 4-5 is a damn good season. 

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Well, thing is that while Rivera is big on being disciplined and accountable, he's also apparently a guy who his players absolutely love because while he's tough he's also empathetic and a genuinely good guy who is very much about respect for people and treating them as he'd want to be treated. Anyone can be a hardass and scream at someone, but it takes a genuinely gifted leader to be a hardass but still be able to form those empathetic bonds with the people under him. 

So yes, obviously the days of giving the coach titty twisters are over, but I think the locker room will actually improve a ton, since the entire culture will hopefully be changing and you won't have any of the bull**** that was there when Bruce was still in charge. But we'll also find out who the guys are that are serious about playing and winning and who just liked the laid back atmosphere with Jay in charge because that **** is definitely over. 

Agree with your statement to the point of being empathetic to the players and forming a bond, which is expected from most leaders in all aspects of life. My point would be that when you reach the time when that doesn't work the hammer drops. There are always those that think they can push, Rivera seems like the type that won't put up with bull****.....

This is one of the best hiring and firings in the Dan Snyder era.  Rivera is a two time Coach of the Year who coached in a difficult division and his players fought for him.  He is a defensive mind that will immediately bring leadership to this team.    Happy New Year, everyone!

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Welcome to Redskins Ron Ron.

This can go 2 ways:

Typical Redskins Way 

2020- We go 8-8 or 9-7 and maybe earn a wild card spot.

2021- Peak of Rivera era.  We win 11 or 12 games and make at least a NFc Championship game appearance.

2022- Disappointing year, as we go 7-9.

2023- It all falls apart.  Dan interferes.  We go 5-11 or worse.  Rivera is fired.

The Positive Gibbs Way 

2020-  We go 10-6 and win the East. We beat the 10-5 Eagles for the division title, in Philly for the final game of season.  We go 1-1 in playoffs.

2021- We go 12-4 but only get in as a wild card, as the NFC East division winnner wins 13 games.  We go on a little run, making it to NFC championship game before losing.

2022- Horrible year. Injuries befell us and all sort of things. go wrong.  We finish 6-10.

2023- We bounce back from 2022 and go 13-3 en route to our 4th Superbowl Title.

2024- We finish 15-1 and make it back to the Superbowl but we lose the Superbowl to Lamar Jackson and the Ravens; as Lamar wins his second Superbowl.

2025- Suprbowl loser hangover and we only finish 8-8.

2026- We go 11-5 and make the playoffs as a wild card, going 0-1 in playoffs.

2027- On the 90th anniversary of the Redskins being in DC; we open the new stadium in style.  The Redskins go 16-0 regular and then go undefeated, 19-0 by beating the Dolphins in the Superbowl.  The Superbowl game ball is dedicated to Joe Gibbs; who passed away during the Superbowl Bye week.

2028- We go 13-3 and repeat as Superbowl champs.

2029- We go 10-6 and losing in the wild card round.

We win 3 out of 4 Superbowls and become the team of 20's. 

I hope I am wrong and we don't follow the typical Redskins pattern.

and that's an improvement

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

At the time the trade was announced (early March 2012?), a reporter asked Shanahan how much was Snyder involved in the decision. Shanahan is on record as saying the only role Snyder played in the trade was approving the haul they were giving up to move up to #2. It was too many picks to give up to not get the owner's approval. From the get-go Shanahan was taking credit for the move.

Further, this trade was made BEFORE the ridicuous cap penalty.  Shanahan said later that if they had known about the cap penalty, they never would have made the deal.  Another way John ****ing Mara and his cronies screwed us and the entire NFL let them.  

As a side note, we've essentially cap-penaltied ourselves with not doing something with the Alex Smith contract, because it's almost exactly the same amount over the same period of time for dead money.  But that's a story for another day.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

The draft evaluation process runs through the college season. The pro personnel portfolios are put into place during the season. It makes perfect sense in my opinion :)

Oh ok perfect I thought I read here GM contracts start and end at the draft and want someone in here/named PRONTO.

Well, before everyone starts the hugs-n-kisses bit, why don't we wait to see who he surrounds himself with, assistant-wise.

One thing for sure, I surely don't want to see him dragging all of his assistants from Carolina, because if that happens, rest assured we will see a 9-7 to 10-6 season with a bunch of 7-9 to 6-10 seasons sprinkled in all around.

If it were someone like Belichick then I'd have a different vibe, but its not like Rivera was a dominating HC in the league. We've all seen in past HC hires and how they bring in their brother-in-law, cousins, etc, or bring assistants from another failed organization. Hard-nosed defensive minds who can scheme, and talented up in coming offensive assistants.

The current group has to go; all of them, especially those with training and strength & conditioning.  

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/31/21043132/washington-redskins-hire-ron-rivera-head-coach-dan-snyder

>>Ron Rivera Is the Right Coach to Change the Culture in Washington

After firing team president Bruce Allen on Monday, Dan Snyder finally seems to be cleaning house. And the former Panthers coach is the perfect person to get this franchise back on track....

....Panthers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy was asked on Monday what he would tell Washington players who are about to get Rivera as their coach. “The greatest thing in their careers is about to happen,” McCoy told The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue. <<

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Saw this on twitter lol...

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pics, gifs, vids, or any large sections of text.
It unnecessarily extends and clutters threads and is annoying. Edit them out. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post,you can simply highlight text, click the popup that floats over it, and it just quotes that text.  When on mobile, if you quote a post with an image in it, simply tap the image in the quote box to highlight it & hit backspace on your keyboard to delete it.

I want one!  

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

@ProFootballTalk

Matt Rhule says his “plan” is to stay at Baylor (and yet he hasn’t declined interview offers except for Cleveland’s)

Sooo...if I read it right, Cleveland was interested in Rivera...didn't meet with them, though, is supposed to sign with the Skins instead.

And now Rhule apparently hasn't turned down any NFL interviews--except with Cleveland.

Does this mean we are, for the moment, still allowed to laugh at the Browns? lol...

They got a dysfunctional owner just like we do. The Browns are like the Redskins cousins.  😀

I recall when I had that lunch auction with McCloughan in 2016 as we were walking from the practice into the headquarters he got into a conversation with someone I didn't recognize and they goofed on the Browns.  If you told me just two years later, they'd have a better record than us (though barely) and they'd have twice the number of wins we did three years later -- I'd think you are crazy.

It's a symptom of the Dan era IMO when we got to find who are the bottom dwellers we can make fun of that are worse.  Sadly the Browns are no longer worse.  Having said that, I like the direction of the team in the last couple of days.  I am a fan of the Rivera hire.  So maybe in 2020 we got back to being better than Browns  😀 and maybe someday soon we can compare this team to the best ones.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They got a dysfunctional owner just like we do. The Browns are like the Redskins cousins.  😀

I recall when I had that lunch auction with McCloughan in 2016 as we were walking from the practice into the headquarters he got into a conversation with someone I didn't recognize and they goofed on the Browns.  If you told me just two years later, they'd have a better record than us (though barely) and they'd have twice the number of wins we did three years later -- I'd think you are crazy.

It's a symptom of the Dan era IMO when we got to find who are the bottom dwellers we can make fun of that are worse.  Sadly the Browns are no longer worse.  Having said that, I like the direction of the team in the last couple of days.  I am a fan of the Rivera hire.  So maybe in 2020 we got back to being better than Browns.  

I wasn't making king fun of the Browns...I was making fun of the idea that Skins fans needed to be made aware the Browns’  time as a laughingstock was ending due to doing things “the right way” lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I wasn't making king fun of the Browns...I was making fun of the idea that Skins fans needed to be made aware the Browns’  time as a laughingstock was ending due to doing things “the right way” lol...

Sure, I get it.  But Haslam is known to do dysfunctional stuff after appearing to do it the right way.  After a number of mishaps, he was doing it the right way IMO and plenty of others but isn't now.  Dan likewise has been complemented at different times for finally supposedly "getting it".  Dan himself back when he used to do interviews would tout himself about being older and wiser.  But it typically doesn't last.  Plenty have said (especially Laconfora) that Haslem is a ticking time bomb so don't count on anything.

Dan likewise seems to be mostly doing it the right way in recent days but the skepticism that he has turned a corner will dog him into he actually does it.  Haslem might be given more benefit of the doubt because his much smaller sample size. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure, I get it.  But Haslam is known to do dysfunctional stuff after appearing to do it the right way.  After a number of mishaps, he was doing it the right way IMO and plenty of others but isn't now.  Dan likewise has been complemented at different times for finally supposedly "getting it".  Dan himself back when he used to do interviews would tout himself about being older and wiser.  But it typically doesn't last.  Plenty have said (especially Laconfora) that Haslem is a ticking time bomb so don't count on anything.

Dan likewise seems to be mostly doing it the right way in recent days but the skepticism that he has turned a corner will dog him into he actually does it.  Haslem might be giving more benefit of the doubt because his much smaller sample size. 

I don’t have any problem with any of that... Skins fans don’t have much room to talk lol. Still, I find it a bit gratifying to see that the “burn it all to the ground/use Scot McCloughan/tank for years to properly rebuild/see this is how you do it” argument has not been baring any fruit when the franchise is as dysfunctional as the Browns (or Skins for that matter lol)...If you have the right people in place a scorched earth approach isn’t nevessary. 

Plus, at least neither the Skins nor the Browns didn’t have the NFLPA actively telling players not to sign with them like the Jags did lol...

Archived