Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Our LB pass defense is going to be so much better this year starting SDH and KPL. 

Looks like we've got some nice redundancy on the depth chart.  Bostic and Holcomb as the thumpers in the middle, should be limited to underneath zones with occasional wrinkles.  SDH and Davis on the weakside and Hudson and KPL around the line of scrimmage, pass rushing and occasionally playing single coverage on backs and tight ends and slot receivers.

We're going to get 50+ sacks this year.

We were third in pressure % last season.  We're going to be first this season.  We'll see if that translates to great defense and wins this time.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Looks like we've got some nice redundancy on the depth chart.  Bostic and Holcomb as the thumpers in the middle, should be limited to underneath zones with occasional wrinkles.  SDH and Davis on the weakside and Hudson and KPL around the line of scrimmage, pass rushing and occasionally playing single coverage on backs and tight ends and slot receivers.

You couldn’t have described the Linebackers any worse than you did. 

Main trait necessary for a MLB in this scheme is the ability to carry the #2 deep in Tampa scheme. Speed is one of the biggest traits needed here. 

SDH and Davis are the SAM, or SOLB. 

KPL and Hudson are WILL, or WOLB. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

You couldn’t have described the Linebackers any worse than you did. 

Main trait necessary for a MLB in this scheme is the ability to carry the #2 deep in Tampa scheme. Speed is one of the biggest traits needed here. 

SDH and Davis are the SAM, or SOLB. 

KPL and Hudson are WILL, or WOLB. 

There is simply no way they're going to have Bostic and Holcomb playing in deep zones or regularly carrying receivers down the field.  Surely you see that it would be absurd to have our two worst coverage linebackers do that.  You're the one who said their scheme is built on cover three right?  If so, that's underneath zones in the middle of the field for the mikes. 

And I think it's pretty clear that KPL and Hudson are going to play similar roles to what they have with their previous teams, which means they're going to be playing up on the line of scrimmage and they're going to be playing a lot of man coverage and blitzing.  The fact that we signed/drafted them suggests this role will be a feature of our scheme.  Davis and SDH are going to be off the ball.  The OLBs line up on both sides of the formation throughout the game, on and off the ball.  But I'd bet Hudson and KPL are on the line of scrimmage waaaay more often than SDH and Davis are.  The latter are generally going to be on the weakside in the stack in our standard 4-3 under package because that what makes sense for them given their skillsets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is simply no way they're going to have Bostic and Holcomb playing in deep zones or regularly carrying receivers down the field.  Surely you see that it would be absurd to have our two worst coverage linebackers do that.  You're the one who said their scheme is built on cover three right?  If so, that's underneath zones in the middle of the field for the mikes. 

And I think it's pretty clear that KPL and Hudson are going to play similar roles to what they have with their previous teams, which means they're going to be playing up on the line of scrimmage and they're going to be playing a lot of man coverage and blitzing.  The fact that we signed/drafted them suggests this role will be a feature of our scheme.  Davis and SDH are going to be off the ball.  The OLBs line up on both sides of the formation throughout the game, on and off the ball.  But I'd bet Hudson and KPL are on the line of scrimmage waaaay more often than SDH and Davis are.  The latter are generally going to be on the weakside in the stack in our standard 4-3 under package because that what makes sense for them given their skillsets.

Cool 

• Haha 3

I wonder if the Broncos would want to trade for Kerrigan now that Von Miller is out for the year. They’re both around the same age and have both mostly played LOLB or LDE their whole careers. 

That defensive line takes a severe hit without Von, but Kerrigan coming in can definitely mitigate a bit of the impact of losing their best player. 

I would trade him for a 2nd or two 3rds, given the situation Denver is currently in. 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wonder if the Broncos would want to trade for Kerrigan now that Von Miller is out for the year. They’re both around the same age and have both mostly played LOLB or LDE their whole careers. 

That defensive line takes a severe hit without Von, but Kerrigan coming in can definitely mitigate a bit of the impact of losing their best player. 

I would trade him for a 2nd or two 3rds, given the situation Denver is currently in. 

You probably aren't getting a 2nd rounder with Cameron Wake and Suggs available off the street. Maybe if Kerrigan came off another double digit sack season, but hes coming off his worst season and he's aging. 

43 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You're not going to get much for Kerrington.  Let him finish his WFT career here to set the sack record because the dude has been a warrior for us.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You probably aren't getting a 2nd rounder with Cameron Wake and Suggs available off the street. Maybe if Kerrigan came off another double digit sack season, but hes coming off his worst season and he's aging. 

Kerrigan is 32 years old.  The other two are 37 and 38. 

I agree a 2nd rounder is probably too steep.  I would probably take a 3rd.

1 hour ago, arftech said:

You're not going to get much for Kerrington.  Let him finish his WFT career here to set the sack record because the dude has been a warrior for us.

We're a rebuilding team.  Sentimentality shouldn't get in the way of the goal to win a championship in our window, which is still a couple of years away at least.

On another note.  All aboard:

• Like 2

I am super excited about him finally being completely healthy. SDH. I hope it lasts, because he is really good.

Stop talking about trading away anyone from our Dline or defense in general. We finally have a great unit that could be special and one of the leagues best and people want to trade guys out of it for late round picks. It's not happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stop talking about trading away anyone from our Dline or defense in general. We finally have a great unit that could be special and one of the leagues best and people want to trade guys out of it for late round picks. It's not happening.

If we can't afford them in the coming years, or we're concerned they may insist on going elsewhere when they're a FA

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

What’s the window of time expected to become a playoff team? 

This idea the team is 3, 4, or 5 years away seems like failed logic. If the team isn’t ready to compete for the division next year I’d be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

This idea the team is 3, 4, or 5 years away seems like failed logic. If the team isn’t ready to compete for the division next year I’d be disappointed. 

Usually I'd say around year 3, but I think we can be a playoff team in year two.

Many teams will be underwater from a lower salary cap next year. While most other teams will have to either tread water or remove assets we will be in a buyers market with only a few true players. We are positioned nicely to massively improve our roster next year, regardless of what happens this year. Even if we are good this year, I would expect us to still be much better next year. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Usually I'd say around year 3, but I think we can be a playoff team in year two.

Many teams will be underwater from a lower salary cap next year. While most other teams will have to either tread water or remove assets we will be in a buyers market with only a few true players. We are positioned nicely to massively improve our roster next year, regardless of what happens this year. Even if we are good this year, I would expect us to still be much better next year. 

3 years is an eternity in the NFL, especially without an elite QB. 

Haskins becoming elite is the dream, but the realistic hope should establishes himself as a top half of the league QB next year, then the team must go all in every year of his remaining rookie deal. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

If Haskins develops at a normal trajectory, we could compete for a playoff spot next year.

If he busts, we're basically starting over again(at least on offense) next year.

• Like 1