Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

We got Settle under contract for 2 more years. That is a future Washington Football Team’s problem. He will be actively rotated in our front and I will continue to be giddy that he is only costing us 1 mil a yr.

I would love to sign him to an extension next year. The Matt Io special.

Just like Zombies, big boy’s gotta eat though. I could see him leaving just so he can start somewhere and have more of an impact.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah I see no way we can keep this D-Line together after next year unless they play on team friendly deals. I think it's likely that Settle finds his way to the starting lineup eventually too, whether it be because we traded one of the other guys, or didn't re-sign them. 

I think we have to hope that someone has a big enough year to look like a traceable commodity. Jonathan Allen maybe. If you could convert his value into a CB, the defense would probably be better, overall. 

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Settle will end up starting as a NT for a 3-4 team. I think in our 4-3 front he's just a quality backup.

Kinda disagree with this. When he came out, Settle certainly seemed to have the build of a classic 3-4 space eating NT, but watching his cutups, that wasn't how he played; his game was much more that of a penetrating 1 gap guy. And it seems he lost a decent amount of weight since then and is closer to 310-320 like Payne. Last season he also did more of a 1 gap role. I think he could potentially have a breakout year, assuming a good amount of rotation.

• Like 6

This video is super boring but there is some new Reuben Foster workout video in here. I'll summarize. Looks good with his shirt off. Jumps rope a lot but isn't super great at it. I want him to come back and be an impact player for us. I've seen nothing to suggest he's physically ready to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our entire Dline will be our Dline for 2 years. Let's just accept that we might have the best unit in the league with 7 starters at 4 positions and enjoy the **** out of it, alright? Let's not talk about dumping anyone. 

38 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This video is super boring but there is some new Reuben Foster workout video in here. I'll summarize. Looks good with his shirt off. Jumps rope a lot but isn't super great at it. I want him to come back and be an impact player for us. I've seen nothing to suggest he's physically ready to do that. 

Foster isn't playing this year.

• Confused 1

I had never seen any video of Foster until recently and couldn't even tell him apart from a chicken (paraphrasing Darrell Green).  All I knew about him was that he's got immense potential and serious bad luck with relationships.  When I watched the video posted a few days ago, it opened my eyes.  I found him to be really likeable, humble, hard-working, well-spoken, and I'm hoping he can overcome all this adversity and go on to have football success -- for the Team and himself.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Reuben is still wearing an AFO brace which is used to treat foot drop. I doubt that he’s ready. I think that his smartest move is to decline to play this season based on COVID, and roll his contract this year into next year. That way he can come back healthy, look good and hopefully earn another contract. 

I mean if he doesn't have covid then he should play.  I know he is young but he needs reps just like every other young player do.  It is not like he's arrived.  Even if it is a shorten season and he's getting minimum reps he needs it I believe. 

On 7/31/2020 at 8:10 PM, Warhead36 said:

Settle will end up starting as a NT for a 3-4 team. I think in our 4-3 front he's just a quality backup.

I feel if he keeps his weight down he will be fine in a 4-3.  He's not very strong for the 3-4 and he has that initial quickness to do fine in the 4-3.

Every time I have heard Foster speak he has seemed like a really intelligent, likeable guy.  It did not fit with the public image that has been portrayed at all. Hoping he stays healthy and gets another shot here.  His rookie season, he looked verrrry impressive.

• Like 1

Wow. People compare Chase Young to Julius Peppers. Montez Sweat is much more physically comparable. Size. Length. Explosion. He’s not as loose and natural as Peppers, but that’s who he reminds me of. 

Young reminds me more of a Bruce Smith if we are going old school. Or maybe a cross between Von Miller and Khalil Mack if we are looking modern era. 

• Like 2

A few questions and answers from the interview with JDR on The Athletic:

Like the rest of us, you’ve had more free time on your hands than expected in the last few months. I’m sure you spent plenty of that time looking at tape of your players just to get a sense of the talent on the roster. I’m just curious about your players, whose tape did you enjoy watching for whatever the reason?

Wow. Put me on the spot here. I’ll say this. I think I think (Defensive tackle Daron) Payne upfront probably flies under the radar a little bit. I think he’s a big, strong, tough guy that plays with great energy. So I’m pretty excited about him. I think I would probably say the more you look (linebacker Cole) Holcomb is a guy that did some really good things for a rookie linebacker. There were some things that he needs to do a whole lot better, but he flashed some nice things. I like Ryan Anderson. I think Ryan Anderson is a guy that plays with the toughness and an edge that you covet defensively. So I appreciate his toughness. Those a couple guys that just stand out. 

You mentioned Payne. I was going to ask about him entering his third season. If he has a breakout year, what were those needed steps he took to get there?

First of all, we’re gonna ask (the defensive linemen) to do things that they weren’t asked to do last year. So it’s gonna be a little different. I think it will play more to his strengths, which is what I’m excited about seeing. This guy with this effort, utilizing some of the techniques that we’re going to be looking for. A little more penetrating a little more disruptive. Less of the two-gaping. I think it really plays to his power and quickness. And I think it’s got a chance to become very explosive in the system.

Also, going back to your last press conference, during the linebacker discussion, you mentioned Kevin Pierre-Louis as someone not being mentioned enough. Obviously, we haven’t seen anybody play this whole summer, so therefore I am curious who are some other players that fans and the media should be keeping an eye on a bit more?

I just think, to me, the biggest thing to understand going in is that this is gonna be a really competitive group. From the front four to the linebacking core to the back end, there is competition out throughout. There are only a couple of guys that you could say, okay, they’re going to be in the lineup somehow. You could; just you could pick and pencil them in. The rest of these guys are going to be competing their butts off for who (starts). They’re gonna play. We have some good players, but they’re going to determine through competition and earn their way through competition their role, who goes first and how much they play.

The defensive line is fascinating for numerous reasons, including all the talent at the ends. You guys draft Chase Young with Montez Sweat and Ryan Kerrigan already here, and now everyone is wondering how do you maximize their talents. We get wanting to get these guys on the field a ton and together, but how do you actually do it? Add Ryan Anderson to the discussion as well if you choose.

Yeah, I think that’s kind of what I was referring to when I was talking about them competing and determining their role. That will be through competition. Somebody has to start somebody, but we’re going to play these guys in waves. We’re going to play multiple guys. We’re not going to ask one guy to go out there and play 75 plays. I think this will all be determined through competition, and we’ll want to utilize them all. I like Ryan Anderson a lot. His toughness, the juice, he brings off the edge, I think he’s gonna really flourish in a 4-3 approach, and he was the fourth one to get mentioned at defensive end (in the question). So we like the group, and whether it’s D-tackle, D-end, whether it’s linebacker – who’s in the first three and who are the subs – the back end, who’s the nickel corner, who’s starting corners, those things are all gonna be based on competition or what they earn as we approach the opening game.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Wow. People compare Chase Young to Julius Peppers. Montez Sweat is much more physically comparable. Size. Length. Explosion. He’s not as loose and natural as Peppers, but that’s who he reminds me of. 

Young reminds me more of a Bruce Smith if we are going old school. Or maybe a cross between Von Miller and Khalil Mack if we are looking modern era. 

It was Rivera who compared CY to Peppers. And he called him a "mini" version of Peppers because he's not quite as big. He also compared him to Von Miller because of his get-off and ability to bend. So sort of a hybrid of Peppers and Miller. That's...pretty high praise.

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2020/06/25/chase-young-julius-peppers-von-miller-comparison/

Usually, it is the coach’s job to tamp down expectations and help to level everyone out. However, in the Washington Redskins case, head coach Ron Rivera is doing quite the opposite. He knows that the team has something special in Chase Young, the DE out of Ohio State. He’s already comparing him to some All-Pro level players from the past and present; Julius Peppers and Von Miller.

“He’s not quite as big as Julius was,” Rivera said, via Pro Football Talk. “He’s built like him; he’s a mini version of him. He’s got a little bit more of that initial explosion. Julius was very long and his explosion was good, but because of his length, it seemed even better than it really, truly was. I mean Julius was phenomenal, and this is a young man who could be that type of player.”

Peppers ended his career with the 4th most sacks of all time, so that’s some pretty good company to be compared to for Young. However, Rivera didn’t stop there, saying that Young could also embody a rushing-phenom who has adapted his game to the current landscape of the NFL — a player who actually beat his team in Super Bowl 50, winning the MVP award from the big game.

“Von Miller comes to my mind when I watch Chase and I watch him work out and I watch the tape he’s putting out,” Rivera said. “So I’m pretty excited about seeing him.”

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It was Rivera who compared CY to Peppers. And he called him a "mini" version of Peppers because he's not quite as big. He also compared him to Von Miller because of his get-off and ability to bend. So sort of a hybrid of Peppers and Miller. That's...pretty high praise.

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2020/06/25/chase-young-julius-peppers-von-miller-comparison/

To be clear, I’m not saying Montez Sweat will be as good as Peppers. I’m saying, Montez Swear bears a remarkable physical resemblance to Peppers and is also an awesome athlete. 

But, Julius Peppers had, “IT”. And Chase Young has, “IT”. There is just something else about him that makes him a transcendent athlete. And in that way, and in his natural coordination and bend and feel as a pass rusher, Chase Young is more like Peppers. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to seeing Daron Payne take advantage of having more 1-gap assignments. We've only really seen him do it sporadically in college IIRC, but he's got the get-off and athleticism for his size to make the most of those opportunities.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Or Terrence Knighton 😅

I remember the days Chris Baker was our stud along the line. I'm not even sure he was as good as Settle to be honest lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Montez Sweat

We have some absolute physical freaks on our bookends. Chase Young is enough to induce fear but what we know about Montez Sweat is scary.

Look how this dude’s combine 40 stacks up to Isiah Simmons:

Sweat              6’6 260 4.41 40-yd

Simmons         6’3 230 4.39 40-yd

Big men should not move like that. Unfortunately, Its much less fun when they pick up fumbles. There will only be two guys on the field on our team that can fulfill the “big man w/ football” shtick.

The thought of having two young monsters setting our edge for years to come really tickles the funny bone, which is much easier on a Zombie as it is usually exposed.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We have some absolute physical freaks on our bookends. Chase Young is enough to induce fear but what we know about Montez Sweat is scary.

Look how this dude’s combine 40 stacks up to Isiah Simmons:

Sweat              6’6 260 4.41 40-yd

Simmons         6’3 230 4.39 40-yd

Big men should not move like that. Unfortunately, Its much less fun when they pick up fumbles. There will only be two guys on the field on our team that can fulfill the “big man w/ football” shtick.

The thought of having two young monsters setting our edge for years to come really tickles the funny bone, which is much easier on a Zombie as it is usually exposed.

Sweat looks 280 now. If he lives up to his physical potential, and Chase doesn’t disappoint, this defense will be crazy. 

Give me Micah Parsons in the 1st and sign/draft some CB’s and a FS.

• Like 3